Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: Mick Malthouse
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:33 pm 
formerly BlueRob

Yea, get Malthouse. Why not?

I think we should change coaches every 2 years ... that way we are bound to succeed ... just do it.

After all, its not the players fault ... they can't help it if their skills are pathetic and they constantly make wrong decisions.

:smoking:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:02 pm 
Bruce Comben

Rexy wrote:
Look for goodness sakes, if we ever go down the path of changing coach can we PLEASE, PLEASE, go through a proper in-depth selection process.

So true... Richmond had a proper interview process whereby prospective coaches were required to present their coaching vision to the board, everything was reasonably transparent and people felt like due diligence was done. Why are we as a club, above a process like that. Since Pagan, our coaching stocks have been nothing short of revolting. Why do we keep making the same mistakes.

Let's tender the job, see who applies, but also target guys who have seen action under successful coaches ala Thompson, Clarkson, Roos etc. If they've been taught by the best, there's a decent chance they might have learnt a decent thing or two.

And there's always Wallsy...hehe, noone loves the blues more than he.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:16 pm 
Harry Vallence

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... 5891266822

This is who we should be getting to help Ratts.

Let's face it he has been given another year full stop so let's surround him with the right people not blokes like Lappin.

He would and the playing group would learn heaps off Choco.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:24 pm 
Rod Ashman

Some of the most interesting posts I've read on TC in this thread. Really like JohnM's analysis of coaching pedigree and Sydney Blue's expose on how volatile opinions are on coaches.

I think many of us are being far too hard on Ratts. Geez guys, we're 8/7 and sitting in seventh and round 15. That's better than nine teams in the comp. Now I'm not for one minute saying that this is as high as we want to be, but it's not disastrous either. The irony is that a large number of the coaches people suggest we should go for or were selected as a result of superior processes are beneath us on the ladder.

As for Malthouse and Collingwood, what he's got is about the best PR machine in the comp behind him. Everytime I hear about what great job he does with an "average" list I just about want to throw up. It's a better list than we've got and has been for a long time. Does anyone really think that one of the highest paying and best resourced clubs in the comp keeps paying out fortunes to duds?

If I was going for anyone, (and at the moment I wouldn't be), it would be Ross Lyon. He's taken over a rabble with a few gems and moulded them into a serious, disciplined team - and done it in a difficult environment.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:17 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

deano35 wrote:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mark-williams-keen-on-dean-laidley-role/story-e6frf9jf-1225891266822

This is who we should be getting to help Ratts.

Let's face it he has been given another year full stop so let's surround him with the right people not blokes like Lappin.

He would and the playing group would learn heaps off Choco.

Ratten knocked back an offer from Williams to work under him in 2007. I'm not against it - but I'd doubt he'd now accept an offer to work under Ratten.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:37 pm 
Rod Ashman

JohnM wrote:
Interestingly enough, that's exactly how Damien Hardwick's CV reads.

That would be the guy who reportedly missed the Essendon* gig for being too honest, and telling them their list was rubbish and they needed to rebuild. Who's laughing at Windy Hill now I wonder.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:58 pm 
John Nicholls

There seems to be some huge wraps on Chris Scott.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:29 pm 
Harry Vallence

Doubt there's anything behind it but a few articles in Adelaide this week mentioning Ratten as a possible candidate for the job at Port.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:56 pm 
Harry Vallence

1. Bomber Thompson - all the talk of his pedigree, where he came from, who he was coached by, who he coached under etc. I think people forget that he was extremely lucky to keep his job post 2006. His head was on the block. 07 won a premiership. we need to give ratts time, his tenure is not going to be all at an 80% win rate. Remembering that the gameplan he had for the first 18 months went out the window at trade time in 09! This talk is premature, he will come good

2. Damien Hardwick - Is having a good time of it at the moment. I'll judge this call in 2 years. The thing is that if the tig's continue their current form, and finish the year with 7-10 wins, the faithful will all be onboard expecting finals next year, and how he copes with this will be how we judge him, a poor 2011 could see the heat slightly turned up. If the tig's lose every game from here on in and finish on 5 wins, how then will you judge hardwick's year?

Time people, time..... this is the key, things can change in as little as 4 weeks. Ratts can be seriously judged at the end of next year, when he has had a full 2years with a gameplan and the players to execute it. With poor performances come pressure, i agree, though it is a little early right now. Preseason it was thought among many that we will not make the 8, 10 weeks into the season and people were locking in a top 4 spot. Ratts will get us to finals this year, we may even pinch 1, that is all we asked... didn't we??

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:22 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Saw Thompson first hand when he was an assistant at North and coached their reserves. Had never been less impressed. He's come a long way.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:40 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Locke wrote:
Doubt there's anything behind it but a few articles in Adelaide this week mentioning Ratten as a possible candidate for the job at Port.

Don't you dare tease me like that... :wink:

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:30 am 
Harry Vallence

Dr.SHERRIN wrote:
Saw Thompson first hand when he was an assistant at North and coached their reserves. Had never been less impressed. He's come a long way.

Does this mean even Teague shouldn't be ruled out ?