Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:51 pm 
formerly Josh Kaplan

Dow bordering on undroppable- huge part of our 2nd quarter resurgence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:47 pm 
Rod Ashman

Bulldogs doing a good impression of Carlton 2022…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:00 pm 
Laurie Kerr

I have been picking next weeks Blues team every week since I became a Blues fan in 1968 and I don't recall a tougher selection task than this coming week. First up are the inter-related philosophical questions - 1 do we rest tired/banged-up players? and 2 do we prioritise getting miles into the legs of returning players? North failed to overrun the tigers in the seconds, so no-one outside the 23 are getting any match practice. The remaining unknowns at time of writing are whether top 4 is still a chance and conversely who we'd be playing week 1 of the finals on either a round 23 win or loss scenario. The former will be clear tonight, the latter by match time. If top 4 is on offer we play our strongest side, likewise if the results make a win imperative. Otherwise I am more open to being dictated by the opportunity to get miles into the legs of returning players.

To my mind we rest Cripps, Docherty and Hollands on any scenario. All would benefit from the 2 weeks off and all are struggling at the moment such that fresh legs would be a benefit to the team this week anyway – not to denigrate what they bring to the table. Incoming I would expect all of Cerra, McGovern and Walsh to come in. Also Kennedy and Silvagni if they are fit. Perhaps Boyd, though Fisher has been better than I thought he could be in the loose defender role. However I wonder whether we can afford his lack of defensive application when it comes to finals. Boyd and Cincotta to me are more defensive, more physical, better overhead and in Boyd’s case a better kick than Fisher. McGovern is a different type of defender and Marchbank and Kemp are the obvious 2 he potentially replaces, unless you want to play all 3 in which case one of them plays small and one of the small defenders goes out. That doesn’t effect our run that much and gives us flexibility if one of our tall defenders goes down.

On ball Ed Curnow I think is cooked. Cuningham has not been setting the world alight despite his obvious gifts and may be at risk. Cottrell is not the most skilled player going around but I like his versatility and team ethic and his incredible running power is crucial to the way this team plays. He stays for mine. Lastly, if there is not much hanging on the game I say we blood Binns. He has been excellent all year in the 2s and deserves a run. If he turns it on we have another selection dilemma, otherwise we have 1 natural out for the final. Win/win in my view and an investment in the future.

At this stage assuming we will prioritise getting miles into the legs of returning players and assuming Kennedy and Silvagni are fit to play my line-up is:

BOYD WEITERING MARCHBANK

FISHER McGOVERN SAAD

ACRES DOW WALSH

BINNS McKAY MARTIN

SILVAGNI/PITTONET C CURNOW OWIES

DE KONING KENNEDY/CINCOTTA CERRA

COTTRELL HEWETT KEMP MOTLOP / FOGARTY

EMERGENCIES CINCOTTA HOLLANDS YOUNG

IN BOYD McGOVERN WALSH BINNS (NEW) SILVAGNI KENNEDY CERRA FOGARTY

OUT NEWMAN DOCHERTY CRIPPS HOLLANDS (RESTED) E CURNOW CINCOTTA PITTONET CUNINGHAM (OMITTED)

LOCKS TO RETURN CRIPPS DOCHERTY NEWMAN

PUSHING TO RETURN CINCOTTA CUNINGHAM HOLLANDS

CHANCE TO RETURN PITTONET

BACKUPS E CURNOW COWAN HONEY O'BRIEN PLOWMAN YOUNG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:01 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Doggies fall to Eagles, Melbourne neck-a-neck with Hawks early going Q2. These games have huge impact on what our game will have at stake.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:35 pm 
Ken Hunter

Just watched the replay.

I’d certainly rest Cripps and even give Doc a week off. He just looked abit off. :hitcomputer:

I thought Dow was terrific. Clean, quick feet, good vision. he is really stepping up. I’d be inclined to have him ahead of Fish and Fogarty, in the mix. If Kennedy doesn’t come back in for Rd 24 I wouldn’t play him the first final.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:39 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jake_h03 wrote:

Thats fine. But it was his first quarter in a month and he was BOG in the last full game he played. Could you imagine Pitto getting 10 coaches votes? LOL

Come on, Silvagni is a hell of a lot more mobile and plays a lot smaller than Pitto or TDK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If Vossy went that way I'm all for it. Has legs.

We would win with either rucking IMHO

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:09 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

blueianh wrote:
I have been picking next weeks Blues team every week since I became a Blues fan in 1968 and I don't recall a tougher selection task than this coming week. First up are the inter-related philosophical questions - 1 do we rest tired/banged-up players? and 2 do we prioritise getting miles into the legs of returning players? North failed to overrun the tigers in the seconds, so no-one outside the 23 are getting any match practice. The remaining unknowns at time of writing are whether top 4 is still a chance and conversely who we'd be playing week 1 of the finals on either a round 23 win or loss scenario. The former will be clear tonight, the latter by match time. If top 4 is on offer we play our strongest side, likewise if the results make a win imperative. Otherwise I am more open to being dictated by the opportunity to get miles into the legs of returning players.

To my mind we rest Cripps, Docherty and Hollands on any scenario. All would benefit from the 2 weeks off and all are struggling at the moment such that fresh legs would be a benefit to the team this week anyway – not to denigrate what they bring to the table. Incoming I would expect all of Cerra, McGovern and Walsh to come in. Also Kennedy and Silvagni if they are fit. Perhaps Boyd, though Fisher has been better than I thought he could be in the loose defender role. However I wonder whether we can afford his lack of defensive application when it comes to finals. Boyd and Cincotta to me are more defensive, more physical, better overhead and in Boyd’s case a better kick than Fisher. McGovern is a different type of defender and Marchbank and Kemp are the obvious 2 he potentially replaces, unless you want to play all 3 in which case one of them plays small and one of the small defenders goes out. That doesn’t effect our run that much and gives us flexibility if one of our tall defenders goes down.

On ball Ed Curnow I think is cooked. Cuningham has not been setting the world alight despite his obvious gifts and may be at risk. Cottrell is not the most skilled player going around but I like his versatility and team ethic and his incredible running power is crucial to the way this team plays. He stays for mine. Lastly, if there is not much hanging on the game I say we blood Binns. He has been excellent all year in the 2s and deserves a run. If he turns it on we have another selection dilemma, otherwise we have 1 natural out for the final. Win/win in my view and an investment in the future.

At this stage assuming we will prioritise getting miles into the legs of returning players and assuming Kennedy and Silvagni are fit to play my line-up is:

BOYD WEITERING MARCHBANK

FISHER McGOVERN SAAD

ACRES DOW WALSH

BINNS McKAY MARTIN

SILVAGNI/PITTONET C CURNOW OWIES

DE KONING KENNEDY/CINCOTTA CERRA

COTTRELL HEWETT KEMP MOTLOP / FOGARTY

EMERGENCIES CINCOTTA HOLLANDS YOUNG

IN BOYD McGOVERN WALSH BINNS (NEW) SILVAGNI KENNEDY CERRA FOGARTY

OUT NEWMAN DOCHERTY CRIPPS HOLLANDS (RESTED) E CURNOW CINCOTTA PITTONET CUNINGHAM (OMITTED)

LOCKS TO RETURN CRIPPS DOCHERTY NEWMAN

PUSHING TO RETURN CINCOTTA CUNINGHAM HOLLANDS

CHANCE TO RETURN PITTONET

BACKUPS E CURNOW COWAN HONEY O'BRIEN PLOWMAN YOUNG

I like it. I see virtue in your thinking.

The back ups are really the back ups of the back ups. We bat deep when Cerra Walsh Gov are back.

I think we rest a couple Cripps a& Doc, and that would be it.

If Cripps & Doc don't need a rest because they will get that in a week, I'm all for it.

Need the band together vs get miles into the legs of those who will be depth because the reserves fkd up big time.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:09 pm 
Bob Chitty

Cazzesman wrote:
Just watched the replay.

I’d certainly rest Cripps and even give Doc a week off. He just looked abit off. :hitcomputer:

I thought Dow was terrific. Clean, quick feet, good vision. he is really stepping up. I’d be inclined to have him ahead of Fish and Fogarty, in the mix. If Kennedy doesn’t come back in for Rd 24 I wouldn’t play him the first final.

Regards Cazzesman

Highly doubt that swans will smash melbourne, gws could beat us but would have to be by alot, lions to get it done against the saints ... i cant see us not finishing 5th or 6th i.e. Home Final.

a two week break for some tired bodies .. isnt a bad thing leading into the first final. many will say we arent good enough to rest players, but i disagree, we have earnt 5/6th place, and that gives us an opportunity to "control our narrative" .. on a side note, that has been the best thing about our most recent wins ... it gives us the power, it gives us the ability to control our outcome. If the club uses the match to rest player and get them right for finals, then great.

but more so, i agree with the Dow comment, would love to see how he would go as the big banana for a match. Cerra/Walsh back in ready, resting cripps/doc etc.. is good player management. management we have put ourselves in a position to exploit if we wish.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:14 pm 
Ken Hunter

If we make all the changes recommended by @blueianh, then I wonder if the AFL change the fixture to 2 weeks before finals being rests. :razz:

Last edited by SurreyBlue on Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:15 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Cazzesman wrote:
Just watched the replay.

Regards Cazzesman

Dow wasnt terrific imo. He showed his weapons, as he has done in recent weeks.
Numbers show he was involved, but he had a purple patch by his standards after the Swallow goal.

He has to improve the defensive side of his game.
I've been a big supporter of his lately, and want to retain him, but yesterday his defensive effort was putrid TBH.
Ive pointed out when in other posts.

He did OK, and he's worth developing that part of his game imo.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Cripps should be rested next week - it’s a no brainer - even if Cripps doesn’t want to take a week off - Russell and Voss should over rule him in this instance.

20 day break gives him every chance for those bruised/broken ribs to heal.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:27 pm 
Robert Walls

Essendon* have to beat Collingwood, and by a significant margin, to sneak into 8th place on Friday night. I don't think they'll do it.

The Dogs then have to beat The Cats in Geelong to sneak into 8th on Saturday night. Their % is better than GWS, so any win get them in. Given what happened against The Eagles, you wouldn't bet on it. (Conversely, the Cats have nothing to play for, so their form is hard to judge.)

So if Essendon* and the Dogs lose, GWS' spot in the 8 is secure.

It then becomes a question of finishing spots. By 6.00pm Sunday we might not have to do anything, as if the Swans (playing Melbourne at the SCG) and the Saints (playing Brisbane at the Gabba) both lose then we're secure in 5th.

If GWS win on Sunday then they can jump ahead of the Swans (if they lose), and if they win by a decent margin against us they could jump up to 6th (if the Saints lose) and host a final.

If we win, we lock in a home final at The 'G... probably against GWS.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:32 pm 
Craig Bradley

I dont get the love of Marchbank over Kemp
Maybe Im missing something
Kemp has had a fine season makes some mistakes because he is still learning but no comparison with Marchbank
Is playing much better than Marchbank
For the last 3 weeks every time Marchbank gets the ball he panics
Takes nowhere near as many intercept marks Marchbank and Kemp is 3 times as fast

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:37 pm 
Ken Hunter

AGRO wrote:
Cripps should be rested next week - it’s a no brainer - even if Cripps doesn’t want to take a week off - Russell and Voss should over rule him in this instance.

20 day break gives him every chance for those bruised/broken ribs to heal.

Agree. Must rest.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:39 pm 
Ken Hunter

frank dardew wrote:
I dont get the love of Marchbank over Kemp
Maybe Im missing something
Kemp has had a fine season makes some mistakes because he is still learning but no comparison with Marchbank
Is playing much better than Marchbank
For the last 3 weeks every time Marchbank gets the ball he panics
Takes nowhere near as many intercept marks Marchbank and Kemp is 3 times as fast

Agree Kemp has been much better than Marchy and I rate Marchy very high.
Marchy has missed a lot, a lot of footy. Will be fine. Both should be playing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:52 pm 
Bruce Doull

McGovern in for Marchbank IMO. Kemp stays

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:00 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

CK95 wrote:
McGovern in for Marchbank IMO. Kemp stays

Yep

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:21 pm 
Ken Hunter

jake_h03 wrote:
CK95 wrote:
We could be playing for a home final.

Nah. Saints aren’t gonna win at the Gabba

If we lose and the Swans win by a reasonable margin they can go past us I think.
We could still go down to 7th and possibly play in Sydney.

Just had a look at the ladder and you are right, if the Saints lose the lowest we can go is 6th.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:24 pm 
Wayne Johnston

kezza wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
CK95 wrote:

If we lose and the Swans win by a reasonable margin they can go past us I think.

They’d need a 70 point swing between their winning margin and our losing margin. Highly unlikely

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:25 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

kezza wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
CK95 wrote:

Just had a look at the ladder and you are right, if the Saints lose the lowest we can go is 6th.
Lazy 10 goals over the dees.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 388 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next