Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:35 pm 
Harry Vallence

DesEnglish wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
We simply MUST see a response and an EMPHATIC one. A win of at least 8 - 10 goals should be expected. However if we show anything like the insipid, stagnant game plan which has no system (like most of this season), we will lose the unlosable IMO.

Honey, Motlop, Fisher must be dropped.

I think Hewett and/or Kennedy are still playing injured, so at least one of them too.

Dow, has to, MUST get picked. We all know he has deficiencies, but a player being banished to the reserves for as long as he has, who logically has been instructed to make an impact (or at least thats the least he has been asked to show), has done it in spades, every game in the VFL this season. Thats a FACT. His performances have proved it.

But more than that. he needs to be given at least a 3 game show at senior level and then we re-assess. We have gifted Fisher (as just one example) a start in every game this season, despite just one decent quarter effort the whole year. It may turn out he does no deliver but u just have to give him a chance surely?

Agree we need a response, but beating WCE doesn’t atone for their sins. They need to halve the next 6 rounds or they’re toast.

Agreed, but if this team does not set a consistent, reliable standard of game plan that is adaptable and that proactively changes when needed, that at least starts this week, then those upcoming rounds you mention, will be no better. What happens then?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:42 pm 
Rod Ashman

BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
We simply MUST see a response and an EMPHATIC one. A win of at least 8 - 10 goals should be expected. However if we show anything like the insipid, stagnant game plan which has no system (like most of this season), we will lose the unlosable IMO.

I think Hewett and/or Kennedy are still playing injured, so at least one of them too.

Dow, has to, MUST get picked. We all know he has deficiencies, but a player being banished to the reserves for as long as he has, who logically has been instructed to make an impact (or at least thats the least he has been asked to show), has done it in spades, every game in the VFL this season. Thats a FACT. His performances have proved it.

But more than that. he needs to be given at least a 3 game show at senior level and then we re-assess. We have gifted Fisher (as just one example) a start in every game this season, despite just one decent quarter effort the whole year. It may turn out he does no deliver but u just have to give him a chance surely?

Agree we need a response, but beating WCE doesn’t atone for their sins. They need to halve the next 6 rounds or they’re toast.

Agreed, but if this team does not set a consistent, reliable standard of game plan that is adaptable and that proactively changes when needed, that at least starts this week, then those upcoming rounds you mention, will be no better. What happens then?

What happens is we start talking about draft picks and who we might get…just like we used to.

People are saying that it’s all about the back end of the year, Voss learned his lesson last year, but momentum and winning are key to the backend. Anyone that thinks Voss has magic fairy dust that’ll just turn this team around is delusional.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:53 pm 
Harry Vallence

DesEnglish wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:

What happens is we start talking about draft picks and who we might get…just like we used to.

People are saying that it’s all about the back end of the year, Voss learned his lesson last year, but momentum and winning are key to the backend. Anyone that thinks Voss has magic fairy dust that’ll just turn this team around is delusional.

I'd suggest our backline is going OK. The only game where we have conceded alot of goals was against the crows. Its more what happens when we get the ball in our backline and our transitions execution from back/HB line onwards which needs some serious rethink. Giving off to players who are stagnant and/or providing no run options, leaves us exposed to chipping sideways and/or turning the ball over which generally results in a goal to the opposition.

Voss does not have "fairly dust", but he is our coach and is/should be smart enough to know he needs to change the system/game plan in that scenario (and others). Thats his challenge to adapt and be proactive. Not consistently going with the same plan over and over again. Can he do that? I think he has the ability to do so, but it needs to be shown on gameday....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:00 pm 
Rod Ashman

BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:

I'd suggest our backline is going OK. The only game where we have conceded alot of goals was against the crows. Its more what happens when we get the ball in our backline and our transitions execution from back/HB line onwards which needs some serious rethink. Giving off to players who are stagnant and/or providing no run options, leaves us exposed to chipping sideways and/or turning the ball over which generally results in a goal to the opposition.

Voss does not have "fairly dust", but he is our coach and is/should be smart enough to know he needs to change the system/game plan in that scenario (and others). Thats his challenge to adapt and be proactive. Not consistently going with the same plan over and over again. Can he do that? I think he has the ability to do so, but it needs to be shown on gameday....

I hope he does, I have my doubts, but we can live in hope.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:23 pm 
Bob Chitty

West Coast have a worse injury list than ours. They haven’t got within 40 points of anyone since they got hit badly by injuries. Yet we all know deep down this will either be a demoralising loss or a completely unconvincing win (see eg GWS and North games). A team serious about turning things around would belt West Coast, not carry on about it and then get to work on attacking a season defining following 4-5 weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:30 pm 
Harry Vallence

david31 wrote:
West Coast have a worse injury list than ours. They haven’t got within 40 points of anyone since they got hit badly by injuries. Yet we all know deep down this will either be a demoralising loss or a completely unconvincing win (see eg GWS and North games). A team serious about turning things around would belt West Coast, not carry on about it and then get to work on attacking a season defining following 4-5 weeks.

Absolutely 100000000% agree. Now lets get it done!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 4:47 pm 
Harry Vallence

B Newman Young McGovern
HB Weitering Hollands
C Hewett Cerra Acres
HF McKay Kennedy
F Curnow
R Cripps Walsh
INT

Pick Saad if he's fit. Pick the rest out of a hat and there'll be minimal difference.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:53 pm 
Bruce Doull

Motlop got a week

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:08 pm 
Geoff Southby

Funnily enough, I was thinking today that Motlop might actually be due for a good game and turn it on in front of family/friends in Perth - but there goes that. :roll: Any chance we will appeal?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:12 pm 
Wayne Johnston

CK95 wrote:
Motlop got a week

For what? Running over the mark?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 7:18 pm 
Bruce Doull

It's annoying because it means one of the more dropworthy players will probably hold his spot now.

That said, Motlop himself was pretty poor yesterday

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:37 pm 
Bert Deacon

aboynamedsue wrote:
Funnily enough, I was thinking today that Motlop might actually be due for a good game and turn it on in front of family/friends in Perth - but there goes that. :roll: Any chance we will appeal?

The bloke he tackled put a bit of mayo on it by banging his head into the ground. THe commentators brought it up so the beginnings of a defense are out there. I've seen aq few players do that - they should be hit as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:37 pm 
Craig Bradley

DesEnglish wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:

Thanks Des . That would be me . We will see . Time will tell .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:39 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Motlop ban is a joke. Trying to kill the tackle now. Mind you Jesse was putrid yesterday and on that sort of form wont be missed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:55 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Lowey_47 wrote:
The wce game plan will be to drop some players back. Carlton will match them up and continually bomb to curnow and Mackay, then Eagles play the paddock when bursting out of the congestion

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
The positives are that we changed some basic things after the Adelaide game... The Dumb thing is we should have known what the Saints were going to do, yet other than try and retain possession we didn't know what to (see Hoppers Q1 goal against Dees tonight)....

The only way we lose this is being out coached...
(or are the players too dumb to change what they should do... probably both... still part of coaching).... .

lose this and it's probably proof the coach and assistants can't.... =... Curtains

Go Blues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:33 pm 
Rod Ashman

Mickstar wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:

Thanks Des . That would be me . We will see . Time will tell .

I’m not having a dig at you, Mick. I’ve said from day one that I thought Voss was the wrong coach for the club.

I hope you’re right and I’m wrong but I look at that side and there’s something very wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:51 pm 
Craig Bradley

All good Des . Call it as you see it Pal .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:17 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Got a funny feeling things aren’t going to go well for us this week
Coaches and selectors with no real guts about them they won’t drop any big name under performing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:21 pm 
Rod Ashman

Part of the reason I am keen to see Dow given a go is not just because of what I think he can bring, it is simply to broadcast that effort is critical. You want to send a signal that effort is its own quality. Being seen to reward it reinforces the value. Conversely if effort is not seen to be rewarded or if lack of effort is seen to be protected, the culture of the place deteriorates.
I think we did this (promote effort) initially with Ollie and cow but seem to have lost it since.
We have talent but we want to be seen as passionately desperate in every contest. Keeping paddy in the twos can send the message that it’s about who you are not what you do…
I don’t think paddy is a silver bullet -he may struggle initially as he may understandably lack confidence. But I think we want to encourage hunger.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:04 pm 
Bruce Doull

In….

Binns…Carroll…Kemp…Dow…and if
fit…Saad or Boyd…!

out…Ed…Honey…Fish…O’Brien…mayyyybe
rest Cowan…!

something like that for mine…!

kindest regards tommi

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 273 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next