Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mick Malthouse
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:15 pm 
Bert Deacon

ROOS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:03 pm 
Laurie Kerr

I'm not sure if Ratts is the right man to coach us but at the end of the day he makes the decisions on match day and we appear to be either lacking direction and alternative game plans or players who can stick to a game plan. So there has to be a review at the end of the season of all areas of the club.
I believe we need to review the forward line coaching position?
Review the skill development and progress of our kids.
Do we have the players to implement a game plan that will win a premiership?
Should we target players for specific roles at the draft?
Do we have the coaches with the tactical nous to determine additional game plans?
Can the coaching group instil belief and discipline in our group?
Does the coach need a mentor to discuss issues with?
Could Ratts ask David Parkin to sit with him and review his season?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:20 pm 
Bruce Comben

Malthouse plays the game plan we should be playing, Ratten plays a game plan that works against only half the sides in the competition. I'd have him at Carlton ahead of Ratten but I think our assistant coaches Lappin (Forward Coach) has a lot to answer for for our non existant forward structure and poop positioning and poor leading. Harvey and Riely need to make themselves accountable as to why our midfielders get sucked into going too far forward and don't get back to help out the defence and don't get in a position to do so. Our midfielders don't defend from breaks from our forward line very well at all.

There is a lot of explaining to do.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:38 am 
Ken Hunter

Cheer up everyone. Could be worse...............we could have Voss as coach!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:38 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Apparently Peter Sidwell (Mick's manager) received phone calls from Carlton FC yesterday from the two top men...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:40 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

aramari wrote:
Apparently Peter Sidwell (Mick's manager) received phone calls from Carlton FC yesterday from the two top men...

Yes they wanted to know if Harry got his letter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:00 am 
Ken Hunter

woof wrote:
aramari wrote:

Yes they wanted to know if Harry got his letter.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:46 am 
Rod Ashman

We all have our opinions but as has been said by others we need to get Robert Walls on the board to consult/specify/establish a panel to choose the coach. With all due respect who on the board is qualified to choose a coach: Clarke, Harrison, the QC, Frid, Rose, Geminder, Kernahan? Unilateral coaching appointments of Pagan and Ratten have not worked. We "experts" go Roos or Malthouse. None of us consider Hinkley, Sandersen etc etc. Walls would consider them. At least with Walls you say he has a track record of recommending a successful coach in Ross Lyon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:51 am 
Harry Vallence

Dr.SHERRIN wrote:
Josh Kaplan wrote:
Mick- I love your passion.
But
Quote:
If i was Ratts i would stand on my own two feet.Ratts is a grown man who needs to make his own mark.If he needs others to prop him up then he is not the man for the job.
is one of the more pressing quotes I have seen.

Ratts is a lovely guy, but his coaching is riddled with indecision. He second guesses himself, and does not address players with any semblance of authority. There may be a muffled respect among the playing group for Ratten, but this does not translate into the necessary hunger for success- an essential ingredient for any team.

I get the feeling Ratts does not back his own ability to take this team by the scruff of the neck and lead them to our 17th flag. He was one of the best on field leaders I have ever seen play, but sadly modern football and the machinations involved are a bridge too far for him.

If you're suggesting he hasn't hauled them over the coals and told individuals what he thought of their performances - you're wrong. Pure and simple. Ratten's problem isn't understanding the modern game - theoretically, he's very astute. The problem IMO is getting his message across to his young charges. I'm also of the opinion that there are 5 players on our senior list who cannot be coached. It's just too much for them to comprehend at this level. There are others who are just plain lazy. They might also have an elevated opinion of themselves...and of course, the coaching staff are horribly reactive during play.

Look...I'll defend Brett Ratten the person until the cows come home. I'll also defend him when he's wrongfully labeled clueless - the guy has more than a clue. Can he fix it? I'm not sure. It's tough when the players aren't playing for him. We're up against a team this weekend whose players play for their coach week in week out. We need that commitment from the playing group at Carlton. The jury is out as to whether Brett Ratten the coach can provide that level of commitment from the playing list.

Gotta understand the message...Gotta believe the message...Gotta believe the man it's coming from.

List management is a huge problem.....we are keeping some guys on the list far too long when its obvious they are not likely to be good enough to be part of a top 4 team.

Within 3 years the coaching staff should have a pretty good read if a player has enough going for him. Yes talls may take longer granted.

The question should not be will the guy we pick be any better, because that is always unknown.

If a player is not good enough turn him over and give a new player a chance to make it.
Success may be 1 in every 4 or 5 but thats better than keeping battlers on the list for 5+ yrs.

Freo turned over 23 players in 2 yrs.....and scored some winners with late picks.

Its what we should have done a while ago.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:14 pm 
Ken Hands

Ratten hasn't helped himself with the coaching staff he has surrounded himself with. For him to succeed he needs better assistants, not blokes learning their trade under him because they played for Carlton. Loved Lappin as a player, but not liking his role as forward coach.

The jury is still out on Ratten after all of this time which is not a good sign. Or if it is in, the decision isn't favourable. We are still horribly inconsistent and seem to only like our skis when the slope goes downhill. I know those hills are bastards, but you've got to climb them still. A lot of our players don't seem to be developing as I'd imagined (is that the coach, the players or both?) and they certainly can't seem to follow a game plan consistently.

If Carlton is to keep Ratts, they sure a heck need to surround him with some new, quality assistants. If Worsfold goes, a well paid assistant job may do. No idea what Choco would be like, or if he would not even counter the idea. Brian Royal would be a handy addition, but he is looking for a senior gig. Sumich would be pretty useful too. I see Barry Mitchell is over at the Dockers, wonder if he would have made a difference if he was still here??

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:21 pm 
Harry Vallence

Michael Jezz wrote:
We all have our opinions but as has been said by others we need to get Robert Walls on the board to consult/specify/establish a panel to choose the coach. With all due respect who on the board is qualified to choose a coach: Clarke, Harrison, the QC, Frid, Rose, Geminder, Kernahan? Unilateral coaching appointments of Pagan and Ratten have not worked. We "experts" go Roos or Malthouse. None of us consider Hinkley, Sandersen etc etc. Walls would consider them. At least with Walls you say he has a track record of recommending a successful coach in Ross Lyon

Whats with all the Walls love ?.....he would talk about it over and over for the next 10 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:32 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

get rid of the hacks wrote:
Michael Jezz wrote:

Whats with all the Walls love ?.....he would talk about it over and over for the next 10 yrs

and change his mind from week to week depending on the landscape

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:13 pm 
Rod Ashman

Michael Jezz wrote:

The right person to recommend the coach is
a) somone who has a track record at selecting AFL coaches
b) has football knowledge
c) has been a successful coach
d) Passion for the club

There is no "love" in my favouring Walls. IF you are clinical and unbiased, he is the right guy to have a massive influence on Carlton's coach selection

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:16 pm 
Harry Vallence

Michael Jezz wrote:
Michael Jezz wrote:

The right person to recommend the coach is
a) somone who has a track record at selecting AFL coaches
b) has football knowledge
c) has been a successful coach
d) Passion for the club

There is no "love" in my favouring Walls. IF you are clinical and unbiased, he is the right guy to have a massive influence on Carlton's coach selection

I'd pass on Walls.....1/1, he should quit while he is ahead.
Maybe Roos will help us find a coach, or maybe we should try and snare the guy Bomber Thompson has tried to annoint as his successor.

I'd like a combo of guys that have worked with Roos,Clarkson,Geelong,St.Kilda.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:40 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

There's nothing new in Robert Walls being employed as a consultant in finding clubs a new coach. He helped select Lyon at St.Kilda with the assistance of Ross Smith and Ken Sheldon who is a successful management consultant. Ross Smith was the AFL's game development manager, so using those three again would sit well with me should the need arise to replace the current coach.

Walls also recommended Eade to the Bulldogs and Bailey to the Demons as a part of head coach selection committee's.

People are now complaining about 'too many old boys'. But that 'old boys' thinking is ingrained in Melbourne culture. It just doesn't apply to football clubs. It also came off the back of the Pagan era where there was a clear lack of understanding as to what Carlton stood for, as the people in charge weren't really Carlton people. That stood out like dogs balls. So you can't blame ex-players sitting back from afar shaking their heads at what decisions were being made.

Kernahan and Brown were instrumental in propping Brett Ratten up for the job. Given the same set of circumstances - every single one of us would have done the same. In hindsight, they may have made two glaring errors.

1. The Interview Panel. They didn't adhere to professionalism. Kernahan, Gleeson and Greg Swann made up the panel. Why not outsiders. Or people like Walls who understood Carlton but was removed far enough from it to make an impartial decision? The four shortlisted were Michael Voss (whom Swann thought highly of), Guy McKenna (whom Swann thought highly of), Chris Bond (whom Greg Swann thought highly of) and Brett Ratten (whom Kernahan and Gleeson thought highly of). Voss withdrew leaving the remaining 3 to show their wares.

2. Experience. Not enough of it. Riley had coached in the WAFL and at Melbourne, but was never hired as a technical expert to utter wise words in Ratten's ear. That job befall Craig Bradley...a Ratten appointment based on Ratten's trust of his close friend and Bradley's knowledge of the game. Perhaps wiser heads should have intervened and said 'if you're coach - we want a senior coach in the box with you'.

There's no doubting Ratten's, Bradley's, Riley's or Montgomery's knowledge of the game. They understand it. The bigger questions are a) can they command respect and b) can they communicate their knowledge onto Gen Y footballers? They all have high expectations. And Carlton supporters - after years of misery - have even higher expectations. Often too high.

I for one am with Rachel Hunter. It won't happen overnight...but it will happen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm 
Geoff Southby

It's a bit of a tried and true formula, but the checklist for the typical newbie senior coach goes something like:

[ ] Played his football at a successful club that won premiership/s while he was there.

[ ] Worked as an assistant coach at another club which was also successful, under a respected senior coach.

[ ] Is part of a lineage of coaching success (Hafey coached Sheedy who coached Thompson for example)

Let's look at the Premiership coaches of the last 10 years and see if this theory stacks up.

2009 Thompson. Premiership captain at a quality club, under one of the coaching greats in Sheedy. Assistant under Sheedy and then Pagan at North: understudy to two senior coaches both with multiple premierships. So yeah, he ticks those boxes.

2008. Clarkson. Played in a poor era for North as a player, coached a premiership in the SANFL, then was part of the Premiership-winning Power coaching panel in 2004. Not as blue-chip as Thompson, but at least some exposure to AFL premiership coaching.

2007 Thompson.

2006. Worsfold. Dual Premiership captain. Assistant coach under David Parkin at Carlton, then onto the West Coast job. Not as many boxes ticked as Bomber, but again there's exposure to winning premierships as a player AND some time working under a Premiership coach during a successful era.

2005. Roos. One out of the box. Played football in weak teams and strong. Played in a grand final, never won one. Great player. Took over after assisting a struggling Eade, and won a flag. The bugger just makes it all look too easy really.

2004. Mark Williams. 4 SANFL flags as a player, patchy team success in the AFL. 2 years under Sheedy as an assistant before moving on to the Power. 2 years under Cahill, then took the top job. If you count SANFL flags, he's ticked the Premierships as player box, and he assisted under Sheedy too.

2003/2/1. Leigh Matthews. 4 flags as a player, played under greats Kennedy and Jeans. A bit of a stint as an assistant under Rose before taking his job, then becoming one of the great modern day coaches. Again, not only huge success as a player, but exposed to influential coaches as a player.

2000. Sheedy. Premierships as a player at Richmond under Hafey. After finishing as a player, assisted at Richmond under Jewell in 1980, when the Tigers won the flag. Again, that pattern of playing in premierships under an influential coach, assisting under a Premiership winning coach, before going on to a senior role.

Of course it isn't an exact science, but you'd imagine that the perfect coach's CV has him playing football in Premiership teams under influential coaches... then assisting at ideally a different club with a different coach and also being part of a Premiership team... before moving onto senior coaching.

Interestingly enough, that's exactly how Damien Hardwick's CV reads. Ratts has the playing credentials, and was coached by one of the greats in Parkin, but his formative years as a coach were nowhere near as impressive.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:23 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I love listening to Walls - as a matter of fact living in Sydney you listen to every comentator and what they have to say - Walls has been hired to help select coaches for other clubs and some of his advice has been good

But - he also wrote an teo page article 3-4 weeks back saying how Carlton had got it right
:eek:
Football is funny at times it doesnt take a hell of a lot for things to go pear shaped and at the same time things can often turn very quickly

Rd3 Knights was hero - round 15 its off to the slaughter house
Ports early season form was proof that they made the right decision in resigning Williams
Voss was heading for coach of the season up until round 4 - round 15 he has no people skills
Hawthorn were a major disappointment losing 6 in a row and Clarksons head was on the chopping block he selected the wrong bloke as captain and things werent rosy - Now they are seen as real challenges to the top 4
Eade went from champ to chump to champ again
StKilda looked like a one man team for a while and Ross Lyon didnt have the answers
Hardwick and Richmond were a basket case - Betting agencies paid out on them winning the spoon
Last Year - Harvey had recruited old hacks from Essendon* - now he is coaching a top 4 side
Neil Craig had his team as top 4 material before a ball was bounced and then it turned out he flogged them to death

4 -5 weeks ago according to Walls - Ratts had it right and we were looking at top 4 - now they are saying well we didnt expect anything great

there is still 7 weeks of the season left and things will change again

Lets just hope for the Blues sake it changes for the better

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:23 pm 
Horrie Clover

Rhys26 wrote:
The old carlton would have been on the front foot trying to nail someone like malthouse or roos. We seem to be happy to be a middle of the road run club now days

Carlton + Ratten = Disaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:29 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

These days, because of the evolving tactical nature of the modern game, it really requires, as a top priority, to have an ability to produce many different productive systems of play that MOST IMPORTANTLY the players can quickly comprehend, absorb and confidently execute.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:31 pm 
Horrie Clover

verbs wrote:
Yup club29. Pagan had plenty of success with North with a successful game plan blah blah blah. He was old and dogmatic and the Carlton players couldn't stand him and he was an outstanding failure. Pretty sure Malthouse would follow suit. Old. Dogmatic. Successful (back when Pagan was). Good with kids. Etc etc blah blah blah. He wouldn't win over our players. Would move on others. Will be constantly :roll: ed and we would go backwards another decade.

Old fashioned thinking.

I felt sorry for Pagan from day one, here he was hired by Elliott, then a new regime comes to Power who didn’t want anything that was connected to Elliott, plus the Players was spoiled by the previous coach Wayne Britain and they rebelled on Pagan, so in my book he started on the wrong end of the stick and never had a chance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next