Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:02 pm 
Harry Vallence

KP players aside...

I also think we need a "Frazer Brown" type to support Judd at clearances. A tough little bugger that will block and crash players hanging off Judd.

A tagger for the taggers, if you will.

Judd usually has three or four player hanging off him - god knows what happened to the holding the man rule...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:17 pm 
Rod Ashman

Although I believe in the draft we should pick the best available player what we need if mobile midfielders who can use the ball well under pressure. It is something in which we lack and is needed in the modern game.

It is a skill you cannot teach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:20 pm 
Trevor Keogh

The problem is that this year is all about development and going through the list. We as supporters wanted a big name recruit a lot more wins and to jump into the finals but that is not the way the AFL now works. It takes time and several drafts to start the progression up the ladder.

We came from a long way back and at the end of last year needed some running half backs, a quick back pocket, some ruck options, some other forward options and contested ball winners with good skills. The recruiting department tried to solve as many of those problems as possible but you can't do it all in one draft. We had a potential CHF but had to give him up for one of the best contested possession ball winners in the game. We have a couple of young rucks who are still a couple of years away from matching it with the experienced ruckman and our kids are young enthusiastic buit don't yet have the experience or build to compete against the more experienced teams.

The coach and MC also inherited some players who are still contracted but aren't in our future plans. Some of the youngsters require more pre-seasons and experience and that can't be gained in one season. So we go with what we've got and try to get experience into the kids and steal some more wins.

IIRC there are only 2 players on the senior list who have not been tried whilst Ratts has been coach ie Benjamin and Aisake. I think if the MC had the option then Jacobs would be promoted and played in the ruck but until next year their hands are tied.

So the coach and MC have gone through the list and started giving games to the youngsters and we have played some great football at times. At other times we have struggled and when the rucks are getting thrashed and Judd goes off the ball we haven't been able to hold the opposition. Not enough depth at present and because of that we can't afford to have injuries to regular players.

This year the club will try and rectify some more of those problem areas and next year we should see some further development. If it took the Cats 5 years to get their premiership team together and we started further back we have made big inroads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:27 pm 
Harry Vallence

Wet Willie wrote:
KP players aside...

I also think we need a "Frazer Brown" type to support Judd at clearances. A tough little bugger that will block and crash players hanging off Judd.

A tagger for the taggers, if you will.

Judd usually has three or four player hanging off him - god knows what happened to the holding the man rule...

wiggo, pfeiffer and hadley are the type of player we need for this role!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:32 pm 
formerly Fevola

Pfeiffer, Hadley YES

Wiggo, sorry to offend but SHIT...

Does maybe 5 good things a game, and you all think he has arrived...... Does not have a footy brain....... He has had long enough, needs to be moved on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:36 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
We've lost big Josh Kennedy, but we haven't done anything with Hartlett. What good is it to us playing Hartlett in the Ants and not giving him a good run ala Russell to prove himself, when this is his perhaps last year?

couldn't agree more if this year is about further development - some players seem to get more preferntial treatment. we have plenty of russells, yet very few KPP such as CHF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:36 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Fevola wrote:

Wiggo, sorry to offend but SHIT....

I find that offensive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:41 pm 
Craig Bradley

verbs wrote:
There is no way in hell adding O'hAilpin and Walker to tonight's team would've meant a win.

Take a deep breath and reflect on these names:

Jamison
Browne
Grigg
Kreuzer
Anderson
Edwards

62 games between 6 players.

Get some perspective you lot! Reading this sort of crock is just infuriating. Do you lot actually know what's going on out there?

Yep we Lost and we stunk.

L.M 35-06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:53 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

No Carlton player is 'shit'....(you could argue Ackland is with his disrespectful attitude towards the jumper)...so Wiggo is not shit.

He's a trier and gives his all. He's been around for 98 games, and frankly I haven't seen any difference between the 2005 Wiggo to the 2008 Wiggo. In other words there has been bugger all improvement from him.

He is definetely a favourite amongst some posters, but I can't tell if they're taking the mickey out of him or really think he's a star.

I know Deano genuinely loves him because in our darkest days, it was Wiggo who sacrificed his body for the jumper, when many others were not playing for the jumper or the coach. Sure that quality and toughness is admirable, but footy is a business, and we have to judge on the talent a player has,as well as upside, as well as where the team is today, not in our darkest days.

Wiggo has shown his strengths, but you can't cut it with pure physical commitment alone ; you need more skill to be in the first 22 of a premiership team than what Wiggo provides.

I can't wait till he plays his 100th game; that was one of my goals from a club and individual perspective because to me Wiggo is a true Blue and has achieved more than Hamill did playing for 2 clubs; Wiggo will have his name indelibly printed on a Dark Navy Blue locker. At least then we can close that chapter. Hamill is gone, forgotten and a no where man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:12 pm 
formerly Fevola

Yeh poor word (shit) on my part.

I know he is a trier and has been better this year, but I dont think he has it in him to become a consistant AFL player. He has had long enough IMO. I would rather someone like Jackson in the team than him for example.

I cannot rely on someone like Wiggo to give me a full 4 quarters of good footy..

I am tired of posters making excuses for nice guys on this site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:51 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

People saying Ratts is holding this team back are either pushing an agenda or clueless.

The equation is simple - against a team with a good ruckman and and a half-way intelligent set up at clearances and stoppages, we'll get smashed. You've got Ross Lyon coming down from coaching the Sydney mids with Steven King having to do nothing but monstering Cloke and Kreuzer. At his feet, he's got Hayes and Ball who are great in the contest and support players who are drilled to set them up for the clearance.

Our mids have done a mighty job winning the clearances they have with a minimal contest provided by the rucks, and even mightier considering we haven't had Hadley for virtually the entire season to provide a big body and some blocking in there as well.

This team will rise with improvements in the ruck division and improvements in CHF/CHB. Nothing more, nothing less.

This isn't to say Ratts is the best coach in the league. But he is not holding this team back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:11 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

punter22 wrote

Quote:
The equation is simple - against a team with a good ruckman and and a half-way intelligent set up at clearances and stoppages, we'll get smashed. You've got Ross Lyon coming down from coaching the Sydney mids with Steven King having to do nothing but monstering Cloke and Kreuzer. At his feet, he's got Hayes and Ball who are great in the contest and support players who are drilled to set them up for the clearance.

Our mids have done a mighty job winning the clearances they have with a minimal contest provided by the rucks, and even mightier considering we haven't had Hadley for virtually the entire season to provide a big body and some blocking in there as well.

This team will rise with improvements in the ruck division and improvements in CHF/CHB. Nothing more, nothing less.

As usual punter well said.

I have no doubt that would give us an advantage and with this there would be less stress on the backline. Our tall stocks in the backline and backmen in general have improved exponentially this year.

In addition, imo:

With all that in place I think Setanta (till a very tall backman replaces him) can mind the dangerous ruck sized forwards when they're there to release Waite to his rightful and more dangerous position on a wing or if/when needed CHF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:20 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
punter22 wrote

Quote:

As usual punter well said.

I have no doubt that would give us an advantage and with this there would be less stress on the backline. Our tall stocks in the backline and backmen in general have improved exponentially this year.

In addition, imo:

With all that in place I think Setanta (till a very tall backman replaces him) can mind the dangerous ruck sized forwards when they're there to release Waite to his rightful and more dangerous position on a wing or if/when needed CHF.

Agree Bondi, it could be that the improvement we see in those three areas will be from players we already have. Ratts seeemed to be cool on the radio towards bringing in a big bodied ruckman (and after Ackland, who could blame him I suppose). However I firmly believe that we'll only go as far as our quality in those positions allow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:25 pm 
Harry Vallence

Fevola wrote:
Pfeiffer, Hadley YES

Wiggo, sorry to offend but SHIT...

Does maybe 5 good things a game, and you all think he has arrived...... Does not have a footy brain....... He has had long enough, needs to be moved on.

Come on BS - where are you???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:29 pm 
Serge Silvagni

It's not a foregone conclusion that we'll be vying for a premiership in three or four years time, there's still a hell of a lot of work to do and some serious deficiencies in the team to iron out, not the least being our field kicking but also whether or not Hampson will mature into an AFL standard ruckman, whether O'Hailpin or someone else can permanently stand the J Browns and M Pavlichs of the world, whether we can find another reliable avenue to goal and whether some of the kids who have played this year can take the big step up.
As it stands we've got about 8 or so topliners, another four or five good players, three or four kids who look the goods and another half a dozen players who are either ordinary senior players or kids who may or may not make the grade.
A premiership side can only have one or two so so players, some have none, so we've got a long way to go yet.
As the great man C Judd said at the start of the season, it's a work in progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:58 pm 
Bruce Doull

Punter22 wrote:
People saying Ratts is holding this team back are either pushing an agenda or clueless.

This isn't to say Ratts is the best coach in the league. But he is not holding this team back.

What would that agenda be????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:02 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Synbad wrote:
Punter22 wrote:

you dont push agendas

you push a barrow :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:30 pm 
Bob Chitty

malleefowl wrote:
Tonight's game was terribly frustrating, but a loss will always highlight a number of our deficiencies. If we had won tonight then we would have glossed over them all, forgot about the first three quarters and just sat up proud that we were in the eight and had performed another miraculous comeback. As it stands we are not.

The glaring problems that I see are:

1. We do not have an effective ruckman against most sides and so we lose a lot of the clearances. Cloke battles hard but is not tall enough, Kreuzer is in his first year and Hampson just not up to the level reuquired at the moment. We are heading in the right direction after many years of neglect in this area. We just need to be patient.

2. We turn the ball over way too much. Our foot skills are just not up to scratch. They are just not.

3. We are not bold enough. We rarely take the first option when we have the ball. Rather than play on and move the ball forward we stuff around with it, often kicking sideways or backwards to hit a teammate in an uncontested situation. The problem with this is that by the time it takes us to make a decision the other team floods, we panic and then turn the ball over as above. If we took the first option more then we would create more one-on-one situations, put the opposition teams under greater pressure providing us with a better chance to score. I hope we can get Walks back in next week - I want to see someone willing to take the opposition on.

4. Our forward line is very impotent. Shut down Fev and you shut down Carlton. We had 45 inside 50s to St.Kilda's 47, had 27 scoring shots to St.Kilda's 29 yet we lost by 32 points. We lead too much to the boundary line and consequently make it harder for us to kick straight. We need to lead in front of goal more. Tonight Fev took 3 marks, Fisher 5 marks, Eddie 3 marks, Russell 6 marks, Wiggo 4 marks and Jake 3 marks. Riewoldt took 12 marks and Koschitzke 9 marks. The ball comes in to our forwards and too often we spill the mark and the ball is easily rebounded. Our delivery is not always the best, but we need to hold onto more of the pill.

That will do for now. I can go to bed confident that I have made a contribution to society. ;)

On a positive note Gibbs is not one of our problems. He is developing very nicely at the moment and will be a star. Gibbs' decision making is always first class. He rarely turns the ball over.

Yep. Spot on. Agree with all that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:12 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Synbad wrote:
Punter22 wrote:

8)