Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:32 pm 
Harry Vallence

I am starting to look forward to this Sunday, more with hope rather than confidence. Winnng against the Lions isn't impossible more unlikely, but the beauty is we have our own fate in our own hands. If we are good enough we will win and make finals, rather than look onto the finals series with a bad taste in our mouths with what could have been? Go Blues! Vossy will have to be a magician to get the players up this week, let's hope he waves his magical wand by getting in the heads of our squad of 23 and we play a brand of tough, uncomprimisng footy. I think Walsh will stand up big time, the rest need to follow.

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:41 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

BigBlueWave wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:
We have been in VERY poor form for 5 weeks. Rather than the philosophy 'steady as she goes ... stay with the process'we badly need to change it up.

- We are consistently getting beaten for the ball.
- We move the ball too slowly.
- Our decision making is woeful.
- We have no plan B.

We need to move the ball on at all cost ... break the lines ... lower the eyes going forward.

Can't see us winning this one.

Plan B?
We won most early games by dominating centre clearance. When Essendon*** went to work on our strength and beat us out of the middle, we changed it up and scored successfully by using back half rebound. That's 2 totally different ways to win a game.
FFS, we've had these coaches for less than 12 months.

We're 12-7 after 20 years of crap. Put the razor blades away.

I just think we need a change up. Teams have worked us out. The last few weeks have been painful to watch because other teams have controlled us.

I think both right your assertions have merit.

BV is referring to our proven ability to play hard and adapt to change during a game.
BBW referring to the period since the bye and his thoughts of what's going on field.
Our game has changed since the bye.

We are a work in progress.
I know I'm patient and grateful Voss has got us this far.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:42 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Really, since the Pies game before the bye, the start of the WLWL pattern we have taken the foot off the pedal.
The players have. Its a long season, and many of the players whove played most games have carried extra loads.
Its a game of attrition.

Its obvious we need to produce our A game with the personnel we have to win one more game. 13 injuries to endure or not.

I might go up for the game. Im that excited at this challenge.
Harry was interviewed and he said he was ready to run through a brick wall.
I smell intensity and lust for the contest this week.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:46 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Problem is if we play Dow, he instantly becomes a worse player.

He's been a Dustin Martin level superstar all year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:46 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

My guess with the team selection:

OUT: Kennedy Durdin Newman (all injured)

IN: Dow Newnes Marchbank Martin Hayes Honey

Silvagni is already in the 23.

We wont know the team till Friday night.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:12 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
BV - I agree with you in that the half-forward flanks pushing up to the midfield is unsustainable (especially with Pitto back), do you reckon it's better to go back to a conventional 6-2-4-6 set up, or is there some value in throwing Walsh behind the footy for a couple weeks, and try to replicate the issue we've had in our forward 50 with other teams?

Think teams after last week are going to put a lot of time into Saad and to a lesser extent, Doc as much as possible, getting the extra quality ball user in the back half might be useful also.

Looking at Melbourne's key stats in the second half of the year - their ability to keep the ball in their inside 50 has been below comp average, compared to setting the standard in the finals last year. I think it's a weakness that could be exploited.

That's why we miss Williams. He's a good ball user and his run is helpful. He's not a great defender but his weapons make up for it. If the opposition are going to shut down Saad, Williams and Docherty, good luck to them. They'll end up with a totally dysfunctional front half.
FWIW, I think McGovern is the key. He's our best ball user in the back half and we should be using him more. We're freeing up Weitering or Doc as our spare, that's crazy. Free up McGovern and get the ball in his hands more often. Saad is a great runner and breaks the lines beautifully but McGoverns kicking is surgical. Saad can still run past for handballs but it's important his priority is his opponent and not the contest.

As for the front half, I agree with you that we need to sort out the spares. Forget sending 2 up to the storage. Walsh is being picked up by the winger or opposition half forward anyway so the strategy is no longer a surprise. I think we need to start taking something away from the opposition.
Get Cottrell to tag Neale or to pick up the opposition defensive spare. If we persist in playing a 4 or 5 man forward line, we should decide who's the spare defender, not the opposition coaches. Play Cottrell half forward (he's shown he can mark and kick goals) and get him to go to the defender that suits us.
If the lesser defender wants to go with him as well, that's even better. A 2 on 1 is far preferable than a loose spare.

I like how the coaches want us to play "our way". But "our way" needs to evolve and counter the strategies that are being employed against us.
We've significantly improved our defensive profile by playing a more risk averse game style but it has stymied our offence.
I think we need a bit more balance. Our small forwards are pushing up to defend and as a result, not getting back to provide groundball support deep forward. Hopefully the coaches are working on it. I have a lot of faith in Voss and Hansen.
Let's see what they come up with.

Agreed - Williams is going to (hopefully) be an interesting addition - do we play him on a wing because the position is there for the taking, or do we put him in a more preferred position down back and potentially unsettle the balance there (our numbers for defense are as good as anyones at the moment, I suspect he comes in at the expense of Newman - if Newman's not fit for finals, its a moot point, but if he's fit, I think there's questions to be answered there). Either way, I think the answer isn't him playing as a high half-forward in the role Cottrell has made his own of late. He just doesn't work hard enough off the ball and doesn't offer as much as Cottrell overhead.

Alternatively - the other option could be to have the two defensive flankers hit the centre bounces instead of the two forward flankers - Saad and Doc aren't exactly playing their man tight enough as it is. If we do make it to finals, I'd rather live and die by small forwards taking the most of their chances, rather than lose the midfield battle or have a poor link-up inside 50. We're playing tall enough in that back 6 to make it work between Plowman/Gov/Young/Weitering.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:30 pm 
Harry Vallence

My Tip

In: Dow, Marchbank, Martin and C Durdin
Out: Fogarty, Newnes
Sub: Kemp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:33 pm 
Harry Vallence

IN
Brodie Kemp,
Caleb Marchbank,
Jack Martin,
Jack Newnes,
Lachie Fogarty,
Paddy Dow

OUT
Lachie Plowman (Omitted),
Matthew Kennedy (Injured),
Nic Newman (Injured)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Umpire 22 Nathan Williamson

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:37 pm 
Geoff Southby

I know its only the on the board at this stage but silvagni playing a defensive role on rich could be a master-stroke. The rich prick always seems to get the easy handball receive for a bomb, against Carlton

Overall, while hesitant to say it, the matchups look ok

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:43 pm 
Ken Hunter

Marchbank starting - good.

Interchange from:
[21] Jack Martin,
[43] Will Setterfield,
[19] Corey Durdin,
[12] Tom De Koning,
[2] Paddy Dow,
[8] Lachie Fogarty,
[17] Brodie Kemp,
[32] Jack Newnes

Interesting that Durdin isn't out injured as expected. I'd still rest him. If Martin is fit then he's a must for some extra goal threat and f50 tackling. I'm not convinced as many by Dow, but he has to play given our outs. Warm and sunny all week in Brisbane so I'd go: Martin TDK Dow Kemp

Last edited by GreatEx on Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:43 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Nafan umpiring

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:44 pm 
Rod Ashman

rhino27 wrote:
Nafan umpiring

Oh ffs! :banghead:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:45 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Surprised C.Durdin on extended bench. If fit, should be dropped anyway. 3 kicks in nearly a half last week all of which went to opposition following on from about 8 weeks of poor form

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:52 pm 
Robert Walls

Crusader wrote:
At this point in his career, Ed’s age is measured in calf strains.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:02 pm 
Harry Vallence

Nathan Williamson umpiring.

Start preparing for the Dees.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:03 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Traveller86 wrote:
Nathan Williamson umpiring.

Start preparing for the Dees.
Ah bugger. Move on indeed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:10 pm 
Harry Vallence

FWIW ... My thinking

INTERCHANGE - De Koning, Dow, Kemp, Martin
MEDICAL SUB - Newnes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:15 pm 
Craig Bradley

Crusader wrote:
B: Saad Young Marchbank
HB: McGovern Weitering Docherty
R: Pittonet Fogarty Cerra
C: Walsh Cripps Cottrell
HF: Fisher McKay Motlop
F: Curnow Silvagni Owies

I: Kemp Dow De Koning Newnes
Sub: Plowman

IN: Marchbank, Fogarty, Silvagni, Kemp, Dow, Newnes
OUT: Plowman, Setterfield, O’Brien, Newman, Durdin, Kennedy

Probably a wee bit fanciful…

Jeez… not too far off in the end. If I thought Martin was fit, I would’ve had him in for Newnes.

The refusal to drop O’Brien, again, is now becoming a stain on this coaching group’s record.

Very early days for that sort of claim, but Vossy referenced the ‘critical contest’ enough times during last week’s presser to be more than just rhetoric. In response, the MC moves our least combative player into the zone where we are most desperate to win contests.

I mentioned at the start of the year that (given our supporters) I was concerned that decisions around blokes like O’Brien, Williamson, etc would make or break the new brains trust… no change there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:41 pm 
Garry Crane

Sydney Blue wrote:
Umpire 22 Nathan Williamson

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Why does he hate us so much ?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next