Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 ... 174  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:32 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Lace Out wrote:
Sayers is a passionate Blues supporter?

I didn't know that.

Been on the board for a while, whats he been doing about it?

A shitload more than anyone here

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:52 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Sayers has called out his future legacy quite clearly.

Has put his balls on the line with that, guarantees. massive change now, he knows what’s at stake.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:55 pm 
John Nicholls

Walsh wrote:
Would have preferred an apology for board decisions made past 10 years with no football people on the board.

MLG is a self made property developer so what he did was welcomed. What's Sayers going to bring to the board?

Advanced Excel spreadsheet skills?

Self made you reckon?

Well, considering my family's been in business (read: partnerships) with MlG's family going back a few generations, I beg to differ. He's good at it, no doubt, but he didn't bootstrap himself.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:41 pm 
formerly Yazzamatazz

Blue Vain wrote:
Lace Out wrote:
Sayers is a passionate Blues supporter?

I didn't know that.

Been on the board for a while, whats he been doing about it?

A shitload more than anyone here
Then why are we still such a basket case?

Look I hope he is here to make a difderence, but my concern is the obvious fact that he has been a part of this board for some time now (since 2012).

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:57 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

17th Premiership wrote:
If we are honest, some of us will like what the Board/Sayers does, and some will hate it.
Great idea to have a review. The sooner the better so we can move forward. Shit idea to have a review. It's all going to be crap anyway!
Make it public - we're dying here as supporters and need to see that we're doing something! Definitely don't make it public - that will just create an unsafe psychological environment and no-one will be able to perform at their best!
Replace the whole Board! Keep the Board!
Replace the coach! Keep the coach!
Play the kids! Make them earn it!
We need a tough coach to whip these boys into shape! We need a coach that the players like!
'Fix' the culture! Bring back the old culture! Create a new culture!
MLG is a whimp for bugging out before delivering the review outcomes! MLG is doing the right thing, clearing out of the way!
Sayers should take ownership of the review and implement the changes as he ushers in a new regime! Sayers should resign after being a part of the Board and its crap decisions over the past 9 years!

Whatever they decide, there will be many of us who hate it.
Truth is, none of us could make decisions which would guarantee on-field success. There is just as much art as science.
Some people believe the coach has immense power. Others (incl Leigh Matthews) believe a coaches success is a function of the players. It's a judgement call. And every decision entails some form of risk.

I think all the debate is great. But let's maintain a degree of humility and extend a bit of latitude to those trying to do the best for the club. I'm still optimistic that we can lift back up from next year. I personally think that we need to change at least something and probably a whole lot more. I just hope that the right calls are made.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:05 pm 
Bruce Doull

Walsh wrote:
What's Sayers going to bring to the board?

Advanced Excel spreadsheet skills?

See I'd actually be impressed with that. I suck at Excel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:17 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I reckon keogh writes his posts in excel.

Lots
Of
Single line
Entries

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:47 pm 
Craig Bradley

Lloyd taking meetings with Collingwood to discuss ’senior roles’.

Probably should rip that bandaid off right now, before he gets too involved in hiring new assistants.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:26 am 
Craig Bradley

bluehammer wrote:

Lots
Of
Single line
Entries

That’s
Right
Well Footy Classified confirmed last night that if Clarkson wants a year off it’s Lyon
Lloyd not there last night. I wonder why. Could have been a bit too hot for him like it was for Juddy this year. Didn’t want to piss his bro off

What a joke this club is.
Teague wasn’t the right choice ( he hasn’t got the knife yet but we all know he will)
But once again
Blinkered
Let’s get the messiah
What a joke
No due and proper process
But I guess it doesn’t matter
Because the board wouldn’t know a good coach if they fell over one

Lyons record at Freo in his last4 years was a complete disaster
If it’s out of those two I would go with Clarko
He is more inclined to unite the team
Not Lyon
Listening to him dance on Teagues grave last night made me want to throw up
And a mate of SOss
Says it all

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:35 am 
Wayne Johnston

keogh wrote:
bluehammer wrote:

Lots
Of
Single line
Entries

That’s
Right
Well Footy Classified confirmed last night that if Clarkson wants a year off it’s Lyon
Lloyd not there last night. I wonder why. Could have been a bit too hot for him like it was for Juddy this year. Didn’t want to piss his bro off

What a joke this club is.
Teague wasn’t the right choice ( he hasn’t got the knife yet but we all know he will)
But once again
Blinkered
Let’s get the messiah
What a joke
No due and proper process
But I guess it doesn’t matter
Because the board wouldn’t know a good coach if they fell over one

Lyons record at Freo in his last4 years was a complete disaster
If it’s out of those two I would go with Clarko
He is more inclined to unite the team
Not Lyon
Listening to him dance on Teagues grave last night made me want to throw up
And a mate of SOss
Says it all

If you don’t want a messiah then why push for Clarkson? He’s the ultimate example of the messiah complex, why do you want to repeat the mistakes of the past?

Where’s Clarkson going in his year off? The backyard? Joke.

Lyons the one for me, not a messiah, not a rookie, not a small, angry man sniper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:56 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Call it typical Carlton, "old Carlton", Messiah Approach, Prattism, PWC best practise, but Sayers will get the best available.

If the club has accepted a "sponsor(s)" will pay the soft cap tax then I expect the Review to Flag the needs:

1. The needs should be more support for players in terms of development and tactical. Additional support for players.

2. As for the Head Coach position, the need would be to get the best available for the young group about to come into their prime.
This may mean extra support for Teague, which comes at a cost. But we all expect a New Coach.

If Teague is sacked, then due diligence and a proper process in search for a new Coach will be the cost.
If Clarkson is available it will be him at almost "any" cost, followed by Lyon. No need for a search for coach if the best is available.

3. The next big cost is to get the best assistants available, and they may be contracted, but Clarkson and Lyon may nominate their preferences with good reason.
If its a prerequisite of Clarkson to have his assistants come on board, then there will be more "soft cap tax" to pay to replace current assistants.

So be it. Hope the Benefactors come good with the tax payments.

I have a good feeling about the next fortnight after round 23...but if some Assistants aren't available because they are with teams still in finals, the picture will unfold when that's done.

Lets get on with changes that need to be made.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:14 am 
Craig Bradley

I want the best available
Who is the best available to coach Carlton
It’s fairly obvious that Teague will get the bullet next week
It’s clear the board want Clarko
Clarko may want the year off
So if that’s the case then Lyon gets it
The extent of the boards thinking that these two are the best available

The board have appointed two unproven young coaches
So now it’s back to the Malthouse approach

No due diligence in finding the best coach
If you can remember when Teague was appointed in 2019 the players views were the clincher in him getting the job after his interim phase
I had a problem with this because there is always a honeymoon period with something new

It’s the board that should be perceptive and smart enough to appoint the right person

In the two years Teague has been coach he clearly isn’t hard enough and not defensively minded enough and not flexible enough in moving players around
Tactically he has struggled
The board should have had an idea of this before employing him
Sometimes you get it wrong
But often does the Carlton board get it wrong
They are almost clueless
What about Kingsley
He could be the new Clarko from 17 years ago
But we won’t know because the board are dumb and lazy

This is what you will get with Simba
A defensive game style. Too much
He will be tough which this list needs but some players will dislike him and not want to play for him
He doesn’t galvanize teams. He lacks the human touch.
I reckon he got lucky to some extent at the Aints and initially at the Dockers.
His last 4 years at Fremantle was a @#$%&! disaster

Clarkson at least has a caring factor to him
But it’s the boards lack of thorough process which is once again on show
Pathetic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:27 am 
Craig Bradley

Wouldn’t it be refreshing to hear the club admit that the senior coach was hung out to dry, forced to wear too many hats due to a series of cascading mistakes from management and governance.

Add in some language around the shifting goal posts related to covid & you’ve got a fairly honest assessment of what went wrong.

Last edited by Crusader on Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:29 pm 
Craig Bradley

To me what’s interesting in all this is the people that select other people to important jobs
I knew my own personal limitations so maybe I wasn’t bad at saying nup don’t give this person this job
The organization will live to
regret it
One important job in any school is the daily organizer
School’ s operations can change daily
It’s up to this person to make sure every staff member knows what’s happening by 8.30 am
There the first there and often the last to leave as the do some prep for the next day because they know it will be disruptive
We had this one bloke who got this job through a “ proper “ interview process who couldn’t organize his own fart in a bathtub
Once you got to know him( for me pretty quickly) you could see how he got it even thou the most important ingredient to be a daily organizer was missing in his DNA he was disorganized
He was a great bullshitter
If you were perceptive you would know ten minutes into an interview that this bloke would be a disaster as a daily organizer
It’s no different at AFL level
Unfortunate it seems to me that there are too many dumb people who run football clubs ( men in particular) and as Cazzeman has pointed out ( a guy in the inner sanctum) too many people with too high opinions of themselves.

Clarkson would not of coached when he was appointed if Dunstall wasn’t on the selection panel

We desperately need a Balme or Dunstall person at our club

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:41 pm 
Craig Bradley

Just to finish this story this disorganized bloke ended up really @#$%&! the school up by becoming Deputy Principal.
After a few years of whining I was encouraged by a staff member to sit on a selection panel for a number of important jobs.
Naturally this slime bag given his standing was one of the three on the panel
The other person was female because of merit and equity
What an oxymoron that turned out to be
I refused to employ anyone of the 6 applicants for this job because they all didn’t smell right one way or another
flower tried his best to have this person employed
In the end this applicant was given a temporary position because of wanky rules and regulations
And you guessed it did a shit job

Two morals to all this
I never went on a selection panel anywhere ever again
The fish once again rots from the head
And so it continues down at Royal Parade

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:47 pm 
Garry Crane

keogh wrote:

If you can remember when Teague was appointed in 2019 the players views were the clincher in him getting the job after his interim phase
I had a problem with this because there is always a honeymoon period with something new

It’s the board that should be perceptive and smart enough to appoint the right person

In the two years Teague has been coach he clearly isn’t hard enough and not defensively minded enough and not flexible enough in moving players around
They are almost clueless
What about Kingsley

He will be tough which this list needs but some players will dislike him and not want to play for him

Pathetic

Yep-the board is the worry in all this. Knees jerking everywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:55 pm 
Rod Ashman

keogh wrote:

They are almost clueless
What about Kingsley

Pathetic

This is a pretty good/fair assessment.
I suspect that the player endorsement of Teague was the icing. But the wins and exciting, attacking game plan were the cake.
The test was always going to be 2020 once Teague had a pre-season to properly shape the game plan; and opposition teams had a bit more opportunity to work us out (based on 2019-Teague approach).
I would have thought that Teague would have had to outline his plan to build our plan around an attacking style but to reinforce with robust defensive plan too. I also think the Board prob did not really interrogate this thoroughly and obviously we were not able to deliver on it.

Looking forward, I think it's first worth recognising that it is HIGHLY unlikely that there is another Clarkson hiding out amongst the assistants, given that there really has never been a coach like him in the AFL era. And that includes Clarkson himself - in terms of expecting 4 premierships! Therefore, we might be comparing a coach we think can deliver 1 or maybe 2 flags. Which means that if we believe Clarkson or Lyon could deliver that, I think the down side of choosing them over a promising rookie is small. And given our recent history, I can understand that the Board would lean strongly towards these two.

I'd be happy with either, but they both come with question marks:
- Clarkson - I think he is the better strategist and planner; great team motivator, and really loves and nurtures his players including the young'ns. I'd be a bit worried about the fire in his belly (esp without a break). And he is Board confrontational, which itself has some good points and bad points.
- Lyon - Is undoubtedly driven to win a flag. He is a great strategist (too) and tactician. He sees the game very clearly but perhaps not as innovative as Clarkson... perhaps. He has a history of favouring experienced players over newbies and likes to work with a mature list, which does suit our current evolution but might leave us in a bit of a hole once this forward thrust comes to an end (in 5-6yrs maybe...).

Both of them will be tough, and will love their core players.
Both of them will bring / develop fantastic assistants.
Both will demand leaders across the football department and off-field with impeccable cultural and leadership abilities.

I'd probably lean towards Clarkson as a long term play but I believe Lyon is exactly what we need right now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:55 pm 
Ken Hunter

I cannot believe no one else has raised Mark LoGiudice’s exit before the season ended as strange.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:07 pm 
Craig Bradley

SurreyBlue wrote:
I cannot believe no one else has raised Mark LoGiudice’s exit before the season ended as strange.

Suzz , the season ended two months ago .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:49 pm 
Ken Hunter

Mickstar wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Suzz , the season ended two months ago .

:lol:

Fair call but something wasn’t right with that exit. Too sudden and short by a week or two.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 116, 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122 ... 174  Next