Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Alastair Clarkson
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:02 pm 
Rod Ashman

As if (Bolton would come back).

The one concern I have with appointing Clarkson, or Lyon for that matter, would be the extent to which the price limits the quality of assistants we can afford under soft cap…

Having said that, my priority would be to get the best coach - they’ll be able to get the best out of whoever they appoint as assistants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Alastair Clarkson
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:07 pm 
Horrie Clover

17th Premiership wrote:

The one concern I have with appointing Clarkson, or Lyon for that matter, would be the extent to which the price limits the quality of assistants we can afford under soft cap…

Having said that, my priority would be to get the best coach - they’ll be able to get the best out of whoever they appoint as assistants.

On the other hand we may has assistants that want to work under Clarko or Lyon and happy to take less

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:43 pm 
Rod Ashman

BIBI01 wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:

On the other hand we may has assistants that want to work under Clarko or Lyon and happy to take less

Yes, I think that is realistic. It may come in the form of well known, top class assistants taking less $$, or it may come in the form of less- or un-known assistants who ask for less $$ but can perform at top level (because they are really good or because they will be really good under top senior coach's direction).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:25 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Unfortunately soft cap makes most of this unachieveable, but love the idea of Bucks as footy manager. Reckon he'd be awesome.

Post subject: Alastair Clarkson
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:07 pm 
Geoff Southby

Donstuie wrote:
In principle I’ve got no issue with getting Clarkson if he’s interested and feels he has something to bring, and this is a key recommendation from the review.

However, I’ll be annoyed if (ala Malthouse):
- Our entire process was “just call Clarko”
- Clarko would just be doing it for the money and not through a belief in the group
- We’ve not given thought to putting a decent team around him and leave every decision to him

My thoughts exactly, we have malthouse way too much power and sway.

I do think Pagan was on a hiding to nothing in his situation, he really did walk into a shit show.

But need other strong characters, not just a bunch of clarko sycophants

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:20 pm 
Robert Walls

rhino27 wrote:
Unfortunately soft cap makes most of this unachieveable, but love the idea of Bucks as footy manager. Reckon he'd be awesome.

Agree...pretty sure he's done a Commerce or Business Degree...just reckon he may become a high profile AFL administrator one day

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:59 am 
Rod Ashman

If clarkson comes over will he bring bolten with him?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:01 am 
Rod Ashman

:roll: Sorry just had a glimpse at the top of the page

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:31 am 
Rod Ashman

I'm not sure why he would need to be paid huge dollars. He wants to coach. I'm sure he is not short of a $ or two.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:03 am 
Harry Vallence

carntheblues wrote:
I'm not sure why he would need to be paid huge dollars. He wants to coach. I'm sure he is not short of a $ or two.

His salary will say far more about his desire to coach the blues and whether this is another big name crap decision from the board.

If Clarko is on any more that $750-$800k then that severely weakens the football department and support networks required to be successful.

Any head coach would know that you need a quality support team around you if you want to be successful and if you take up too much of the soft cap then the players will not have enough support to be at their best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:13 pm 
Harry Vallence

Steve7 said:
Quote:
Any head coach would know that you need a quality support team around you if you want to be successful and if you take up too much of the soft cap then the players will not have enough support to be at their best.

So my question to all is... Did Teague get that? IMO its a big NO he did not....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:41 pm 
Harry Vallence

BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
Steve7 said:
Quote:

So my question to all is... Did Teague get that? IMO its a big NO he did not....

David was given the option at the end of last season to freshen up with new coaches BUT David told Lloyd that he was very happy to work with the same assistant coaching group.
Still to this day even as late as last week he publicly backed himself and the coaching group as the best people to take this club long term.
The man is delusional

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:39 pm 
Geoff Southby

BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
Steve7 said:
Quote:

Neither did Bolton after Neil Craig left.
It still wouldn't of help either in the end, you have either got it or you don't and Teague doesn't.
Clarkson does.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:20 pm 
Harry Vallence

deano35 wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
Steve7 said:
Quote:

David was given the option at the end of last season to freshen up with new coaches BUT David told Lloyd that he was very happy to work with the same assistant coaching group.
Still to this day even as late as last week he publicly backed himself and the coaching group as the best people to take this club long term.
The man is delusional

Was he? Or was it the fact that the soft cap and other issues made this unachievable and David was told as such so maybe to divert attention away from another failing of our inept board David said that to appease the masses? Of course he is going to say that recently, he has no other option to spin it the party line (although he has every right to). FACT he has the best win loss ratio of any carlton coach since Ratten. FACT after the same amount of games his win loss is better than Clarkson and a host of other "experienced" coaches". I'm not saying he is beyond criticism etc - he isnt. I'm not saying he is the right coach going forward. I'm saying he deserved better support. This board set him up to fail. Is Clarkson right for us? Not sure - it smacks of another pagan/malthouse appointment to me. Whilst Clarkson has amazing premiership results the last won was many years ago and his results since have been far from "pick me I'm the best". This review is another example of the incompetent management and horrific poor culture which was instilled as acceptable at least 20 years ago and nothing has changed putting something out there to divert the attention away from massive core issues and the most likely scenario its nothing but a joke. Its most likely they determined the result they wanted and directed those in the review to make those findings to make it seem "independent".

In all seriousness how serious was those appointed for this review. Geoff Walsh? Your kidding me right? The ex Football exec from Collingwood. who oversaw possibly the most incompetent list management of recent memory which resulted in them having to discard a number of players (a few absolute guns) because of a seriously mismanaged salary cap? Pavlich - OK maybe some better credentials, but hardly top notch and the other one - a no name.

It smacks of another example of BS management of our beloved footy club. Its so infuriating!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:37 pm 
Harry Vallence

BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
deano35 wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
Steve7 said:
Quote:

The man is delusional

Was he? Or was it the fact that the soft cap and other issues made this unachievable and David was told as such so maybe to divert attention away from another failing of our inept board David said that to appease the masses? Of course he is going to say that recently, he has no other option to spin it the party line (although he has every right to). FACT he has the best win loss ratio of any carlton coach since Ratten. FACT after the same amount of games his win loss is better than Clarkson and a host of other "experienced" coaches". I'm not saying he is beyond criticism etc - he isnt. I'm not saying he is the right coach going forward. I'm saying he deserved better support. This board set him up to fail. Is Clarkson right for us? Not sure - it smacks of another pagan/malthouse appointment to me. Whilst Clarkson has amazing premiership results the last won was many years ago and his results since have been far from "pick me I'm the best". This review is another example of the incompetent management and horrific poor culture which was instilled as acceptable at least 20 years ago and nothing has changed putting something out there to divert the attention away from massive core issues and the most likely scenario its nothing but a joke. Its most likely they determined the result they wanted and directed those in the review to make those findings to make it seem "independent".

In all seriousness how serious was those appointed for this review. Geoff Walsh? Your kidding me right? The ex Football exec from Collingwood. who oversaw possibly the most incompetent list management of recent memory which resulted in them having to discard a number of players (a few absolute guns) because of a seriously mismanaged salary cap? Pavlich - OK maybe some better credentials, but hardly top notch and the other one - a no name.

It smacks of another example of BS management of our beloved footy club. Its so infuriating!!!!!

You want some more FACTS.
FACT - We sacked better credentialed people which would have been a fresh new set of eyes for the club coz David who is coach rightly picked who HE wanted, by the way Barker left remember.
FACT- You cannot compare Teague and Clarksons first 2 years. Clarkson had a list of kids and the Hawks were in rebuilding mould when he was appointed similar to Hardwick so can everybody just stop with the comparisons coz Teague has a way more mature list that should be playing finals and is ready to go.
FACT - As bad as Malthouse was did he not take us to within a free kick of a preliminary final .
FACT - Clarkson took his mature list and WON 4 bloody flags. Teague can't win 3 games in a row.
FACT - There is NO accountability on Senior players.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:26 pm 
Craig Bradley

deano35 wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
deano35 wrote:
BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
Steve7 said:
Quote:

The man is delusional

You want some more FACTS.
FACT - We sacked better credentialed people which would have been a fresh new set of eyes for the club coz David who is coach rightly picked who HE wanted, by the way Barker left remember.
FACT- You cannot compare Teague and Clarksons first 2 years. Clarkson had a list of kids and the Hawks were in rebuilding mould when he was appointed similar to Hardwick so can everybody just stop with the comparisons coz Teague has a way more mature list that should be playing finals and is ready to go.
FACT - As bad as Malthouse was did he not take us to within a free kick of a preliminary final .
FACT - Clarkson took his mature list and WON 4 bloody flags. Teague can't win 3 games in a row.
FACT - There is NO accountability on Senior players.

That near Preliminary Final was Ratten.

Teague took over a side that had won 4 of the previous 43 games. Can't coach bad culture. 6 coaches haven't changed anything. So it's not the coach. That accountability has to be player driven with real peer pressure. Comes down to our leaders. Motivation comes from within, as any coach will tell you. Coach can add the last 10% of motivation adding to that of players motivation, but definitely not the first 10%

Hawthorn have underachieved alot in the last two years. Who's to say Clarko isn't past it.

I'm thinking he's a 50% chance of Clarko retiring. The previous presser conference a few weeks ago he said he was feeling the guilt with his family with the amount of time coaching took away from them. He has nothing more to prove. He has a million bucks from Hawthorn to do nothing next year.

We are essentially a decent culture and attitude from the players of being a finals side. We'd have played finals this year and last year if the players felt motivated to work hard enough. Sadly a player issue that hasn't been fixed this century.

Attachments:
Teague.jpg
Teague.jpg [ 88.25 KiB | Viewed 1166 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

Yes I'm wrong it was Ratts , but Malthouse still managed a finals win !!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:04 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Clarkson’s Mgr is telling Carlton that Clarkson is very keen to have a year off - Ross Lyon is firming.

:wink:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:04 pm 
John Nicholls

Good. He can have a decade off on the maldives. Just stay away from our club "Clarko" you parasite.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:26 pm 
Serge Silvagni

Roos for mine. Fits the bill.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 393 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 20  Next