Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:13 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mick Malthouse
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:20 pm 
Rod Ashman

Malthouse is currently the AFL/VFL record holder for the longest serving
coach at a club without achieving a premiership.

I say leave him in Filthland.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:37 pm 
Horrie Clover

He need a forwards coach - seriously how can anyone not see this, and why can those in more senior positions not act on this now.

Matthew Lappin is clearly not able to coach, now can we move him on and find someone who can?

I am more pissed that no one is acting upon this, this is a professional club, we need to get past the mates club and start demanding return for the money we pay Lappin.

Seriously, pissed off!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:37 pm 
Bruce Doull

Dr.SHERRIN wrote:
I can tell you know - if the Carlton Football Club board approached Peter Sidwell (Malthouse's Manager) about Mick coming to Carlton next year - he would laugh in their face and before he hung up would tell them there wouldn't be enough money in all of China that would take Malthouse to Visy Park.

Find me a better alternative. C'mon..think it through. Doesn't matter if you're for Ratts or against - who would you like to see coaching Carlton? Who is out there who would instill confidence and great tactics and game plans to get this mob where a lot of you think we should be? While you're at it - name some assistants. Because getting rid of Ratten means you have to get rid of Riley and Bradley as well.

Ken Hinkely narrowly missed the Richmond job to Hardwick - wonder if he would leave his assistant role at GC for a senior job. Has a dream list of youngsters to develop for the time being but if he wants a senior job he'd have to wait a few years for the GC one you'd think.

Leigh Tudor - highly rated & has been an assistant under Thompson & Lyon.

Of the experienced coaches I wouldn't be averse to interviewing Neil Craig...but not Malthouse.

No idea who for the assistants jobs.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:43 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Look for goodness sakes, if we ever go down the path of changing coach can we PLEASE, PLEASE, go through a proper in-depth selection process.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:44 pm 
Craig Bradley

Josh Kaplan wrote:
That performance would not have been tolerated by a team under Malthouse.
I understand that footy is an emotional game, and supporters are quick to blame the coach for poor performances, but our side is manically under performing. We are not playing anywhere near the standard we have set ourselves against Geelong and St Kilda. The simple fact is Malthouse demands a consistent effort- he eeks every last ounce of talent out of his playing list, while we consistently carry 6-7 players. This is fundamentally a coaching issue, NOT a talent issue.

We have waited 10 years to get our side to be consistent finals performers again. We have the list to be consistent finals performers, but we need the BEST coaches to get us there.

Our board has a duty of care to the members and supporters to sound out Malthouse for 2011. They are being derelict in their duty, as the executive of our football club, if they do not.

Josh,you are great contributor to this site and i have the utmost respect for you.But in suggesting Malthouse to CFC is desperation and grasping at straws.No disrespect to Malthouse cos he has had a distinguished career.But he is not the way forward for our club.Im reasonably happy with Brett at the moment,but if he misses the finals then it is sayonara Bret.There is an incredibly depth of talent out there in coaching land with a zillion young blokes eager to get there chance.That is where i would be looking.And i woudnt discount James Hird.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:51 pm 
Rod Ashman

I would doubt Malthouse would have the fire in the belly to coach Carlton. The Richmond/Collingwood in him would stifle his desire. He'd be happy to take our money and run. Reeks of Pagan. Not a good strategy Josh. You might suggest paying Robert Walls to help the club select a coach.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:33 pm 
formerly Josh Kaplan

Quote:
Lets see how Malthouse goes with the pies. They havent won anything to date. Been there over ten years. In the draft all them years. Tanked for high picks in 99' and 05'. Gets the easy draw each year. Has had close to the best facilities for his whole ten years and access to the best people in sport. He has a games plan that gets him more wins than losses but if he coached the blues i am not sure the fans would have the patience for a few years near the bottom as he drilled the "around the boundary" tactic into the team.

I dont hate the guy but i dont think he would be a fit for Carlton and as Dr.Sherrin said he wouldnt come anyway.

I'd say an argument could be made to say that Malthouse is coaching better than ever. Criticising his coaching because the Pies have not won a GF is a silly argument- if Rocca's kick in 02 was paid as a goal would he all of a sudden become a 'better' coach because Collingwood won a flag?

Malthouse puts a stamp on his team like few other coaches in the AFL. He consistently gets results because every player knows their role. How directionless, how rudderless, how leaderless can an AFL team look without asking some serious questions of their coach? A Collingwood supporting mate of mine said to me tonight that our list, on talent alone, was as good as Collingwoods. There are some real pressing questions that require answering when performances like tonight are thrown up, and sadly Ratten is running out of answers.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:03 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Josh Kaplan wrote:
Quote:
Lets see how Malthouse goes with the pies. They havent won anything to date. Been there over ten years. In the draft all them years. Tanked for high picks in 99' and 05'. Gets the easy draw each year. Has had close to the best facilities for his whole ten years and access to the best people in sport. He has a games plan that gets him more wins than losses but if he coached the blues i am not sure the fans would have the patience for a few years near the bottom as he drilled the "around the boundary" tactic into the team.

I dont hate the guy but i dont think he would be a fit for Carlton and as Dr.Sherrin said he wouldnt come anyway.

I'd say an argument could be made to say that Malthouse is coaching better than ever. Criticising his coaching because the Pies have not won a GF is a silly argument- if Rocca's kick in 02 was paid as a goal would he all of a sudden become a 'better' coach because Collingwood won a flag?

Malthouse puts a stamp on his team like few other coaches in the AFL. He consistently gets results because every player knows their role. How directionless, how rudderless, how leaderless can an AFL team look without asking some serious questions of their coach? A Collingwood supporting mate of mine said to me tonight that our list, on talent alone, was as good as Collingwoods. There are some real pressing questions that require answering when performances like tonight are thrown up, and sadly Ratten is running out of answers.

Here's an idea.
If you love Mick so much, why don't you just switch over to the Pies?
Win win...you get Mick,and we don't have to imagine him coaching our beloved Blues with his 'blame everyone else arrogance.'
:sad:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:42 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I'm worried if the usually positive CK95 is talking replacements. :sad:
Rexy wrote:
Look for goodness sakes, if we ever go down the path of changing coach can we PLEASE, PLEASE, go through a proper in-depth selection process.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:25 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Can't believe some people are blaming the coach
it's clearly the players fault...Judd plus a dozen or so 1st round picks
is way less than what other clubs have to work with...we need more early picks for Ratts to get his teeth into....

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:13 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

The Dogs just lost to the Hawks who pushed the Cats this round...

But we have all those first round picks and one AA player on our list.

We should be top four. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:13 am 
Rod McGregor

If Ratten is the man for he job then get him some much needed experience. Mark Williams director of coaching/development role and Dean Laidley as opposition coach/tactician.

Williams can coach from the bench addressing players.

Ratten and Laids working from the box on moves.

Or just give Ratten the flick and have Williams coaching from the bench and Laids working from the box on match day.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:22 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

If I was Ratts I would ask Wayne Brittain to become an assistant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:22 am 
Stephen Kernahan

On the 'Ratten needs help' suggestion - I have never disagreed with you Melvs. Williams and/or Laidley might just provide the impetus the team and Ratten need.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:26 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Dr.SHERRIN wrote:
On the 'Ratten needs help' suggestion - I have never disagreed with you Melvs. Williams and/or Laidley might just provide the impetus the team and Ratten need.

yes it worked a treat at Port

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:36 am 
Ken Hunter

The sad thing is that Ratten could be remembered for the wrong reasons with Carlton supporters.
He was a good player, premiership player, b and f winner and captain.
He may just be remembered as a failed Carlton coach.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:41 am 
Adrian Gallagher

Saints had early picks circa 2001 or there abouts, cats much the same with great father son picks, Cats stuck by Thompson after not making the finals in 2006, and went on to win flags 2007-2009. Saints flicked Thomas and now with Lyon are now a grand final team 2009-maybe 2010. Saints still to win flag since 1966. Maybe could have won a flag or been a grand finalist earlier if not flicked Thomas. Blues, wooden spooners 2007 for the third time in seven years. New coach, Shit why no Flag yet?

Last edited by billybloggs on Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:46 am 
Rod McGregor

Dr.SHERRIN wrote:

Whats more worrying is the current trend of coaches coaching from the sidelines and how i could not see Ratten doing this without his side kick Bradley standing by his side.

Before i gett banned from this site i just wanna say the end of the day Rattens biggest failure has been to engage the players and it has been from day 1. Surely if an outsider like me is told such things the men at the top must know of it. I'm sure they do and are working hard trying to find a resolution but how much time do we have?

I understand that you can't let the players off by blaming/sacking the coach as they share as much responsibility as the coach does with what they dished up yesterday.

The warning signs of a shellacking have been present for some time now and yesterdays effort was what i was expecting from our boys.

Peace out.
Melvs/SBM/Aido

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:47 pm 
Ken Hunter

na not mick

wouldn't mind Choco in some role to help Ratts out and a new forward coach with experience would be good too

but realistically

we are not there yet. Defence and Forward line needs working. We have no one in the square capable of marking the ball - that's gunna hurt (just ask the doggies of yesteryear).

and we need a Maclean type to step up

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:12 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

To take on our current crop of self centred, lazy, heartless players who posses an over developed sense of self importance you need a personality so large, with a credibility that cannot be questioned. As much as Malthous might want to be this guy, there is only one true coachinng legend who has the footy smarts to get this team moving.

He's called Leigh Mathews, you may have heard of him.

Just get him in for a year to sort out the wheat from the chaff , cut the heads of the roses and knee-cap the cheats. He was a part of building a club that was the laughing stock of the AFL. If we don't we'll go down the tigers route of sackings, bloodletting and infighting for another decade.

Then, if he wants to stay, let him, if not let him be a big part of the selection panel.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next