Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:30 am 
Robert Walls

Flashman wrote:
we need a big body at centre half forward !!!

Never has a truer word been said.

Feelgood Hit of the Winter - GHRP-2, GHRP-6, CJC-1295, AOD-9604, Humanofort and Hexarelin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:09 am 
John James

verbs wrote:
The biggest problem is we have people who love to post absolute rubbish when we lose. Painful to read.

The best thing is, as we get better, they will crawl into their holes and only come out to post about how great we are.

Couldn't agree more. IMO these people are like a CANCER on a football club.

The problem with cancer is.........

YOU CAN'T CURE IT.

As opposed to any PROBLEMS we currently have, which can be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:10 am 
Rod Ashman

Tonight's game was terribly frustrating, but a loss will always highlight a number of our deficiencies. If we had won tonight then we would have glossed over them all, forgot about the first three quarters and just sat up proud that we were in the eight and had performed another miraculous comeback. As it stands we are not.

The glaring problems that I see are:

1. We do not have an effective ruckman against most sides and so we lose a lot of the clearances. Cloke battles hard but is not tall enough, Kreuzer is in his first year and Hampson just not up to the level reuquired at the moment. We are heading in the right direction after many years of neglect in this area. We just need to be patient.

2. We turn the ball over way too much. Our foot skills are just not up to scratch. They are just not.

3. We are not bold enough. We rarely take the first option when we have the ball. Rather than play on and move the ball forward we stuff around with it, often kicking sideways or backwards to hit a teammate in an uncontested situation. The problem with this is that by the time it takes us to make a decision the other team floods, we panic and then turn the ball over as above. If we took the first option more then we would create more one-on-one situations, put the opposition teams under greater pressure providing us with a better chance to score. I hope we can get Walks back in next week - I want to see someone willing to take the opposition on.

4. Our forward line is very impotent. Shut down Fev and you shut down Carlton. We had 45 inside 50s to St.Kilda's 47, had 27 scoring shots to St.Kilda's 29 yet we lost by 32 points. We lead too much to the boundary line and consequently make it harder for us to kick straight. We need to lead in front of goal more. Tonight Fev took 3 marks, Fisher 5 marks, Eddie 3 marks, Russell 6 marks, Wiggo 4 marks and Jake 3 marks. Riewoldt took 12 marks and Koschitzke 9 marks. The ball comes in to our forwards and too often we spill the mark and the ball is easily rebounded. Our delivery is not always the best, but we need to hold onto more of the pill.

That will do for now. I can go to bed confident that I have made a contribution to society. ;)

On a positive note Gibbs is not one of our problems. He is developing very nicely at the moment and will be a star. Gibbs' decision making is always first class. He rarely turns the ball over.

Last edited by malbi on Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:19 am 
John James

Whilst I agree with your comments, I don't believe had we won, we would have glossed over the teams deficiencies.

From what I've seen so far on TC, that's not allowed. :wink:

And nor should it either, as long as criticism is constructive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:25 am 
Horrie Clover

The problems????

Jordan Russell...... Had to many chances and is not up to it. We had the Dominator in the 80's..... In Jordan Russell we have the DEFLATOR....... He kills us. No more time.

Carrazzo, led to the footy. Bad skills.

Thornton. Bad disposal, terrible efforts at times last night.

We were killed by there talls.

And Fevola. I would take the contract off the table. Ask him what it means to represent this footy club. What is it really worth to him? No respect for his fellow team mates. He is a selfish prick at best. A match winner and gun full forward ONLY when he wants to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:59 am 
Ken Hands

We're probably 1-2 ladder positions higher than we should be. We're not better than the Kangaroos, and we've shown twice this season we are no match for a full-strength Essendon*. Fev's fantastic season, and a few super quarters have inflated fans expectations.
We deserve to finish 11-12. There are gaping holes in the forward line, back line and ruck. An extra season under their belt of guys like Murphy, Gibbs, Kruezer, Armfield, Browne, Grigg, etc., a full preseason out of Juddy and a draft pick around pick 5-6 will do more for this club in the future then a win from 1 good quarter of football, against a club going nowhere like St Kilda.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:11 am 
Rod McGregor

linchpin wrote:
The problems????

Jordan Russell...... Had to many chances and is not up to it. We had the Dominator in the 80's..... In Jordan Russell we have the DEFLATOR....... He kills us. No more time.

Carrazzo, led to the footy. Bad skills.

Thornton. Bad disposal, terrible efforts at times last night.

We were killed by there talls.

And Fevola. I would take the contract off the table. Ask him what it means to represent this footy club. What is it really worth to him? No respect for his fellow team mates. He is a selfish prick at best. A match winner and gun full forward ONLY when he wants to be.

What are you on about linchpin. Jordan russell certainly was not our worst last night. Sure he needs work on his kicking but shit he works a lot harder than some other players. Edwards was unsighted and to me looks like he is not ready, everyone raves about anderson but yet to see much there.

I personally think we need to bring in Hampson even if he is not ready and get him to ruck with Krooz so we can put Cloke up forward. If not then i think it is time to bring Hartlett back in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:22 am 
Horrie Clover

Jordan Russell?

Tries hard?? Because he tries but exposes us as soon as he has the ball that is ok? He was terrible. Can not kick a goal from anywhere! I would back him missing one from the square. As soon as people stop defending him and his lack of ability the sooner we can get him out of the team. If he was a second or third round pick he would be gone already. Because he went 9 we persist. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:54 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Win or lose, I always look for areas we need to improve in.

1 because I want Carlton to be back where we belong, and it is obvious we were low on the ladder because of deficiencies in the first place; we still have them. The problem is not solely based on age and experience.

2. come year's end at the very least 3 players are going into the recycling system; perhaps more. We need to know what we need in terms of personnel we draft before we decide who is a fit for our future and who is not. Sure some players will discarded for obvious reasons.

Whether we win or lose, I have maintained consistently for 3 years now that short ruckmen will not adequately feed our classy midfield brigade against the top 4 teams. This is glaringly obvious; week in week out.

We need to develop our ruckmen if this is a development year; Hampson, Kreuzer and Jacobs. Kreuzer cannot take the ruck mantle in his first year, and Cloke is taking up space and development opportunities by playing in the ruck. Last night was embarassing for us in the ruck. Don't you agree? or, was Cloke gallant, courageous and lion hearted; he didn't even give it a shot at times (ala Ackland). I'm always embarrassed when we go into the game with a 195 or 196cm ruckman.

Our forward set up is one dimensional. We need forward who can kick straight. Look some kids have got it from an early age and some kids don't. Some kids you can teach, and some you can't. It is blatantly obvious that there is a deficiency with the kicking for goal from Fisher and Russell. It doesn't matter whether we win or lose; this point remains a constant. Do you agree?

We all know that Waite playing forward, whether from the wing or at CHF would add value to the forwardline. If we take him out of the backline, as we were evidently compelled to do last night (and worked favourably), we still had to cover 2 giants in Reiwoldt and Kosi.

Jamo could take one, but playing our 3rd defender (Thornton) on the opposition's tall towers is an inadequate match up; hence the suggestion we need the height of Setanta (till we have another alternative) to atleast square things up. 192cm vs 203cm is not fair. That should be Setanta's charter. Or, is there an alternative? Or, do we just leave things as they are and hope by crossing our fingers all will be fine?

There's no inconsistency from my side verbs, TianaCon.....maybe you're not alluding to me. Nevertheless, my point is a constant.

I'm not asking for wholesale changes, and the lot you name verbs is not part of my hypothesis. The list you mention is part of the future and we should be proud of what these kids you list have achieved in such a short time. It's the problems with personnel we are discussing on this thread...you know, areas we can improve in with personnel, not experience.

If you think the 22 last night will be the same 22 who will carry us to the next flag, then good on you; that shows you're a good supporter, but not necessarily a good judge as to what will obviously unfold in the future; change.

There's always room for improvement; some people state their opinions others choose to sit on the fence with a 'she'll be right' attitude. Have a go, look for some weaknesses, they are there...add some value. You can start by letting us know what we should do for the remainder of the year and in 2009 about the following specific positions:

Rucks
CHF
CHB (who stands the giants?)
Forwards in general (other than Fev and Betts)

I can't see Cloke solving our ruck position.
I can't see Fisher, Russell and Wiggins solving our kicking woes in front of goal
I can't see Thornton as the giant killer at CHB or CHF.

The rest is looking really good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:00 pm 
Robert Walls

Our coach is the problem.

Some players out there look like there running around like headless chocks. No plan A or B, no forward structure or planning, kick outs are terrible.

In the final break Ricky Olarenshaw was listening in on Ratts instructions and they were to get it down the middle and look for Fev. Thats his plan A, B, and C

Pagan not being there and inclusion of Judd have made the difference not Brett Ratten.

As much as i hate to say this but i have seen far more improvement and development from the Bombers and Saints in terms of setup and structure. We are so lucky to have

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:02 pm 
Herald Sun columnist

Melvey wrote:

Some players out there look like there running around like headless chocks. No plan A or B, no forward structure or planning, kick outs are terrible.

In the final break Ricky Olarenshaw was listening in on Ratts instructions and they were to get it down the middle and look for Fev. Thats his plan A, B, and C

Pagan not being there and inclusion of Judd have made the difference not Brett Ratten.

As much as i hate to say this but i have seen far more improvement and development from the Bombers and Saints in terms of setup and structure. We are so lucky to have

And the beat goes on. :-D

“It is a state of mind, a system of belief, a way of seeing the world, a deep faith that, because you are Carlton, you belong to something great.” - Mike Fitzpatrick articulating what Out of the Blue means.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:10 pm 
Rod Ashman

Melvey wrote:

I have actually been concerned about his appointment from the start. Did not like the way he was appointed and his lack of experience. I am prepared to give him this year to settle in and establish himself. Next year will be his test!

This year he has had Pratt, Swann, Judd, Money, Support, Picks maturing, Development etc so he has had a golden run.

Have had issues with comments such as Setanta is a fwd, Cloke is a Ruckman, Waite is defender, Fev's good play outways his bad play, Stevens is fit etc.

The end of the year and next year will tell us a lot. My gut feeling is that Riley has been the most positive addition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:45 pm 
Rod Ashman

cj69 wrote:
Melvey wrote:

I have actually been concerned about his appointment from the start. Did not like the way he was appointed and his lack of experience. I am prepared to give him this year to settle in and establish himself. Next year will be his test!

This year he has had Pratt, Swann, Judd, Money, Support, Picks maturing, Development etc so he has had a golden run.

Have had issues with comments such as Setanta is a fwd, Cloke is a Ruckman, Waite is defender, Fev's good play outways his bad play, Stevens is fit etc.

The end of the year and next year will tell us a lot. My gut feeling is that Riley has been the most positive addition.

Spot on. It isn't that Ratten is a poor coach but he isn't in the Roos/Mathews class for all the reasons you listed but at least the players play for him

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:55 pm 
Geoff Southby

linchpin wrote:
If he was a second or third round pick he would be gone already. Because he went 9 we persist. :roll:

There was a study done on the NBA and it was found that the amount time they play is related to where you were drafted and how much you are payed. If you are a High pick you get more game time. It was just another example of the sunk cost effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

The players will only play for you for so long... if they believe youre detracting from their potential they wont play for you...

Were kind of stuck because in my opinion Ratts lacks imagination...
He is being too safe...but in a season where there are alot of clubs either shit or on a slide you have to roll the dice..and have something up your sleeve....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:11 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

cj 69 wrote

Quote:

I can understand your position...and Melveys :shock:

I agree that St Kilda and the Bombers have shown a bit more clarity in their development...and it worries me. Remember, Bombers did not have a boom recruit like Judd to blolster their stocks.

I love the passion and the blue blood Ratten and others like Sticks bring to the club...but on the field I want to see some flexibility, a plan B, plan... C, some improvement in the players who have been on the list for a few years.

IMO it's Judd, Armfield, Browne, Gibbs and Kreuzer who have made a real difference to us this year. Sure Grigg shows signs...but I haven't seen our forward line improve. In fact, I dare say that the forwardline has gone backwards with Fisher not being the same player of last year, leaving us short by 2 since 2007: Fisher's decline or misuse? and robbing Waite from the fowardline to pay the backline.

We've taken Waite out to bolster the backline, when we have a midfield to compete against any in a fair battle and stemy the flow into the backline of yesteryear.

We've lost big Josh Kennedy, but we haven't done anything with Hartlett. What good is it to us playing Hartlett in the Ants and not giving him a good run ala Russell to prove himself, when this is his perhaps last year? What's happened to Aisake.? What's happened to the Hammer who did really well in the last 2 games of 2007 and earlier on in the season?

Pity the midfield don't have rucks to help them out. At least Hammer and Kreuzer compete in the air with their height...and will develop as a dynamic duo if given the ownership and responsibility to grow together. Cloke is not helping us move forward playing in the ruck. What good is Hammer or even Jacobs in the Ants? What's happened to the promoted rookie Aisake...he's gone backwards.

This year has shown improvement; the wins prove that, so does the fitness level (but that's Cordy who has done that, and he doesn't develop the game plan). But are we improving in all areas improving enough to suggest we're building a defense, a ruck combination, a midfield, and a forwardline? Sure we've recruited for that, but have we seen the fruits from those recruitments?

I like the list; alot. My concern is the ruck development and forwardline structure, and the way we take the ball into our forwardline.

Kick it to Fev should be an option, not the only option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:15 pm 
John James

We've come from a long way back to win 7 games so far.

We've been missing players from our best 22 for significant parts of the season

- Walker
- Hadley
- Houlihan
- Bannister
- Bower

and you could make an argument for Armfield, and you could also argue that Hartlett could be there if we ever saw enough of him play to make a judgement.

However our position has been inflated by a draw which has largely seen us avoid Hawthorn, Bulldogs, Swans and Kangas, whilst only playing Geelong once.

Our percentage is in the 90's rather than the 60's or 70's. We have plenty of holes in our team, but plenty of scope for improvement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:22 pm 
Bruce Doull

Robert Heatley wrote:
We've come from a long way back to win 7 games so far.

We've been missing players from our best 22 for significant parts of the season

- Walker
- Hadley
- Houlihan
- Bannister
- Bower

and you could make an argument for Armfield, and you could also argue that Hartlett could be there if we ever saw enough of him play to make a judgement.

However our position has been inflated by a draw which has largely seen us avoid Hawthorn, Bulldogs, Swans and Kangas, whilst only playing Geelong once.

Our percentage is in the 90's rather than the 60's or 70's. We have plenty of holes in our team, but plenty of scope for improvement.

There are a few teams really shit this year that you should be able to beat every time you play them either because the arse has dropped out of them or theyre tanking... Melbourne Freo Port and WC

Then there are the teams similar to us in ability..Richmond Essendon* and North Collingwood ...
Then there are the teams falling away and on the slide... Saints Adelaide Swans

It should be relatively easy for an honest well drilled footy side to make the eight this year,,,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:24 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

St Kilda are on the way down. Carlton are on the way up. Regardless of the result.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:07 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Consider the following as probable causes as to our hiccups against sides we believe we are at least equal to, if not better than.

More so than most games, against the saints we looked for that extra kick inside 50m, to set up a shot at goal. The stats tell us that our first inside 50 mark was taken in the third term!! Teams like the saints, pushing numbers into our 50, understand how to add pressure to foil that final kick.

How could we overcome this probelm ? should we look at mixing our approach to goal!! That is create indecision in their defenders as to whether we are bombing at goal from 50 or looking to off load to an elusive forward drifting into space. Have we got the players available to make themselves free to be able to take that ball from 50 and accurately kick at goal?

What we also should understand or at least consider is, are our midfielders sent to assist our defence more than our forwards. We are less likey to set up a shoot out style of game, in effort to support our defence. Could this be simple a means to teach our side balance, and as players become available and improve, the balance between offence and defence can be switched at our choice?

We seldomly kick start our games with a bag of goals, and really should of on friday. Dear I say this, but the bombers would of convincingly beaten the saints on friday. Their ability and willingness to kick at goal from 50 out goes without saying. The saints would be less likely ready to flood, if they had to work at retrieving the lead!!

Again I say keep the faith, the time I want the blues to play in the finals, is when they are ready. We are not, there is still some learning and development to continue. When we arrive lets make sure we pick up the silver wear.

Keep the faith. Go Blues.