Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:52 pm 
Craig Bradley

Keithy wrote:
deano35 wrote:
New year and the same old crap at Carlton where selection integrity clearly does not exist.
How many more chances or times do we have to put up with Plowman and Obrien.

It's absolutely clear now that Dow will never play in the seniors.
He should at least be rewarded for his season so far.
I'm not saying he is AFL standard but how the bloody hell would we know when he's not afforded the same luxury as others.
Binns is another who should at least have also been named.
Seriously the club is cooked and if we haven't moved on from Plowman and Obrien by now what a joke.

Spot on with those comments
I feel for Dow absolutely deserves a go its clear to see Voss doesn’t like him

I don’t. Bloke can’t run out of sight on a dark night.

Honestly, it’s like some of you haven’t seen him play at the highest level. He doesn’t have ‘burst speed’. He doesn’t have regular run-of-the-mill speed. He’s ALWAYS hurried & doesn’t have the skills (they’d need to be next level elite) to compensate.

He’s a reserve inside mid on a cheap contract. Not quite AFL level, but a handy bloke to have in the ressies when you’re trying to develop some outside mids.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:56 pm 
Bruce Doull

It's just a squad. Honey LOB & Plowman might not play

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:57 pm 
Bruce Doull

Crusader wrote:
Keithy wrote:
deano35 wrote:
New year and the same old crap at Carlton where selection integrity clearly does not exist.

I'm not saying he is AFL standard but how the bloody hell would we know when he's not afforded the same luxury as others.
Seriously the club is cooked and if we haven't moved on from Plowman and Obrien by now what a joke.

Honestly, it’s like some of you haven’t seen him play at the highest level. He doesn’t have ‘burst speed’. He doesn’t have regular run-of-the-mill speed. He’s ALWAYS hurried & doesn’t have the skills (they’d need to be next level elite) to compensate.

He’s a reserve inside mid on a cheap contract. Not quite AFL level, but a handy bloke to have in the ressies when you’re trying to develop some outside mids.
I agree. I've never seen what people are on about when they talk about his pace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:07 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

CK95 wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Keithy wrote:
deano35 wrote:

Not talking about he’s speed we are talking about paddy’s form compared to other players be gifted games

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:11 pm 
Bruce Doull

Keithy wrote:
CK95 wrote:
Crusader wrote:
Keithy wrote:
deano35 wrote:

Not talking about he’s speed we are talking about paddy’s form compared to other players be gifted games
No that's a fair point. I'm not a massive fan but I wouldn't have minded him in for Fisher or Honey.

Or Binns for one of them

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:27 pm 
Craig Bradley

Selection integrity ? if Voss made wholesale changes after one loss then his integrity would come into question . Voss has to back his side in . We don't want one false move and your dead type selections . That would create instability . If we continue in a mediocre manner i reckon for sure you will see changes . Give things a chance .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:51 pm 
Harry Vallence

Mickstar wrote:
Selection integrity ? if Voss made wholesale changes after one loss then his integrity would come into question . Voss has to back his side in . We don't want one false move and your dead type selections . That would create instability . If we continue in a mediocre manner i reckon for sure you will see changes . Give things a chance .

I don't think you understand what I'm talking about.
It's got nothing to do with making wholesale changes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:10 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Surely LOB plays given the lack of run and Saad now exacerbating that

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:15 pm 
Rod Ashman

When we get to the top of the hill i will tell you exactly where we are.

Yes, i know exactly where we are.

We are in the middle of !@#$%îng nowhere.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:24 pm 
Craig Bradley

deano35 wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

Plowman got picked because we lost two of our most experienced defenders.

O’Brien got picked because we were short on outside run.

For Dow to be rewarded, Vossy will have to find a spot for yet another slow inside mid. Where would you put him, or the incumbents?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:29 pm 
Ken Hunter

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:32 pm 
Rod Ashman

Just feel for Dow. Appears to bust his gut - best in VFL and hits the scoreboard and has pace which we are crying out for and draftees get a look in before hand. Worse, we always thought Ed would be a back up mid and yet with George Kennedy Walsh and cerra all in, we still have Ed in, despite the fact that he clearly isn’t going to improve dramatically.
Don’t mind Ed , just don’t see the down side of replacing him with Paddy…don’t think Ed is significantly better and be good to see how paddy goes if he was given some confidence. He wasn’t terrible 3 years ago and is significantly better now….
Sigh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:37 pm 
Craig Bradley

deano35 wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

I don't understand what you are talking about ? i don't think you understand what i'm talking about .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:49 pm 
Harry Vallence

Crusader wrote:
deano35 wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

For Dow to be rewarded, Vossy will have to find a spot for yet another slow inside mid. Where would you put him, or the incumbents?

Kemp should have been picked ahead of Plowman last week

Your reason for Obrien being picked is purely your opinion unless your somehow on our selection committee. I think I know the answer to that.

Dow is now a slow mid ???

The whole point about integrity is you reward players for performance and Dows performance back end of last season and start of this suggests if your gonna recycle the same VFL players every 3rd week then he at least deserves that opportunity like others have been afforded for less output.
I'm not for 1 second suggesting he is all of a sudden an AFL star or going to immediately come in and get 30+ and kick 2 goals but how the hell would we know when he isn't rewarded for his efforts unlike others that cruise along knowing their place in the team isn't under threat.
Keep the players honest and make them accountable.
Fisher, Honey, Hewett and Kennedy have all been under performing this year BUT are automatic selections.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:42 pm 
Robert Walls

deano35 wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

I think I get you Deano

Every alternate week LOB gets dropped…..goes back and then comes in. Rewarded for?

Where as Dow doesn’t get a sniff even when we are a mid down (previous weeks), with Vossy suggesting he’ll get a game if he performs in the twos and there is a mid spot available.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:13 pm 
Geoff Southby

Will we play with 7 defenders (our usual M.O.), or play 6 defenders and shoehorn a mid into the 7th position (as we did vs Crows)?

Before the Crows game, I said I wanted us to play Cincotta and rest either Hewitt or E.Curnow. Now that we’ve lost Saad, surely Cincotta plays? Cincotta is no Saad (or Doc) but he has trained & played in our defensive system.

If McGovern is available, the question then becomes - do we also play Plowman or Kemp? While I think not having a genuine 7th defender upsets us structurally, given who is available and given the Saints aren’t a tall forward line, I think I would use Acres as the 7th defender. Appreciate it’s not ideal.

And the continuing selection dilemma - do TDK, SOJ & Pittonet all play? I remain unconvinced but I reckon they will go with it again this week.

B: Newman Young McGovern
HB: Cincotta Weitering Cowan
C: LOB Cripps Hollands
HF: Walsh SOJ Motlop
F: C.Durdin Harry Charlie

R: Pittonet Hewitt Cerra
Inter: Acres, E.Curnow, Kennedy, TDK
Sub: Fisher

In - Cincotta, LOB, McGovern
Out - Saad (inj), Honey, Plowman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:18 pm 
Harry Vallence

london blue wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
I would be bringing Sam Durdin in and put Lewis Young in the ruck . Reckon Young could play in the manner of Mark Blicavs . Young did well when he went into the ruck last year . Our rucks are in a slump and i reckon thats a big reason our midfield is struggling .Selectors need to show a bit of dare .

Bring on the dare I say….been lacking for many years…..

I like the idea of Young in the ruck.

TDK on a wing

Give Kemp a go covering Saad’s role

Dow - reward him

Do the right thing by dropping Fish - had he ever played 2’s?

Make a call on honey - he is either in or not. I’m not convinced…..maybe he isn’t either given he’s in and out like a yo yo.

If our example of plan B continues with Kennedy off Hb, SOS in the ruck…,.Gee willickers….

Problem is Young doesn’t…. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:27 pm 
Harry Vallence

DesEnglish wrote:
deano35 wrote:

They need a mid season trade or loan period to allow guys like Dow a chance to play and save their careers. He might not be a grade but he deserves a chance (even if it’s a final chance)

He’ll get a chance elsewhere

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:54 am 
Rod Ashman

Crusader wrote:
deano35 wrote:
Mickstar wrote:

Replace Ed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:36 am 
Rod Ashman

I'm disappointed that Paddy Dow missed out again. Though if we lose to the Saints the calls will get louder.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next