Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 9:06 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:37 pm 
Bruce Doull

david31 wrote:
I’m sick of saying this every second week but our biggest problem is our loser mentality that has festered for way too long. Who thought we’d win at 3 quarter time? I didn’t. Every other Carlton supporter I was talking to during the game didn’t. Why didn’t we? Because all we’ve done is lose for the best part of 20 years now. It’s all the players know from Simmo to the youngest bloke out there. They didn’t expect to win at 3 quarter time, GWS did.

All this does, like last week, is reinforce this loser mentality. Its time to move on the oldies who know nothing but losing and will never be able to grow out of it. Try to find a core group of 7-8 who can really drive the club forward. Weiters and Walshy are the blokes who can lift this club off the canvas. They just need others to come along for the ride.

Yep - it's time IMO.

I can imagine that each time our young players look at Simpson and Murphy, they don't think "wow, how great to have such experienced leaders I can learn from". I'm guessing it's more like "...so these guys are still here huh...", "well I guess that means I can avoid the heat for another week" or "well I guess if they can cock up without consequence for so long, it doesn't matter if I do as well."

Get them out of the team and force those left to figure it the @#$%&! out themselves.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:39 pm 
Bob Chitty

Our midfield is so one dimensional it isn’t funny. All we have in their is contested players - Cripps, Ed, Setters and Kennedy (when he plays). Not surprising we’re strong in the contested ball stats. However, the second another team equals or betters us in the contest, we are absolutely toast. They flick it out to quick and skilful outside players who can move the ball end to end in a flash. We don’t have these players (apart from Walsh) so all we do is hack it slowly forward when we get it. Our midfielders are too slow to defend the spread.

Yet we refuse to play Fisher and Cunners around the ball who have speed and skill. We need to either put these guys on the ball or recruit some genuine class and speed into our midfield. Otherwise, we’re too easy to play against in the middle. I’m a big Ed Curnow fan but he should not be our second best midfielder at this stage.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:42 pm 
Bob Chitty

Donstuie wrote:
david31 wrote:
I’m sick of saying this every second week but our biggest problem is our loser mentality that has festered for way too long. Who thought we’d win at 3 quarter time? I didn’t. Every other Carlton supporter I was talking to during the game didn’t. Why didn’t we? Because all we’ve done is lose for the best part of 20 years now. It’s all the players know from Simmo to the youngest bloke out there. They didn’t expect to win at 3 quarter time, GWS did.

All this does, like last week, is reinforce this loser mentality. Its time to move on the oldies who know nothing but losing and will never be able to grow out of it. Try to find a core group of 7-8 who can really drive the club forward. Weiters and Walshy are the blokes who can lift this club off the canvas. They just need others to come along for the ride.

Yep - it's time IMO.

I can imagine that each time our young players look at Simpson and Murphy, they don't think "wow, how great to have such experienced leaders I can learn from". I'm guessing it's more like "...so these guys are still here huh...", "well I guess that means I can avoid the heat for another week" or "well I guess if they can cock up without consequence for so long, it doesn't matter if I do as well."

Get them out of the team and force those left to figure it the @#$%&! out themselves.

:clap:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:42 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

david31 wrote:
Our midfield is so one dimensional it isn’t funny. All we have in their is contested players - Cripps, Ed, Setters and Kennedy (when he plays). Not surprising we’re strong in the contested ball stats. However, the second another team equals or betters us in the contest, we are absolutely toast. They flick it out to quick and skilful outside players who can move the ball end to end in a flash. We don’t have these players (apart from Walsh) so all we do is hack it slowly forward when we get it. Our midfielders are too slow to defend the spread.

Yet we refuse to play Fisher and Cunners around the ball who have speed and skill. We need to either put these guys on the ball or recruit some genuine class and speed into our midfield. Otherwise, we’re too easy to play against in the middle. I’m a big Ed Curnow fan but he should not be our second best midfielder at this stage.

good post, exactly what happened in the last qtr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:44 pm 
Harry Vallence

It was mentioned a few weeks back .... we just don't have anyone who imposes himself on the game.

That was terrible tonight. Had GWS kicked straight early it would have been over at half time. They didn't put any scoreboard pressure on us early on and we made the most of it. When they did in the last it was game over.

We're almost a rabble .... especially up forward.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:54 pm 
Garry Crane

Navy One wrote:
It was mentioned a few weeks back .... we just don't have anyone who imposes himself on the game.

That was terrible tonight. Had GWS kicked straight early it would have been over at half time. They didn't put any scoreboard pressure on us early on and we made the most of it. When they did in the last it was game over.

The only player with any strut about them is Charlie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:57 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Stranger wrote:
Navy One wrote:

The only player with any strut about them is Charlie

Used to be Crippa

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:59 pm 
Rod Ashman

Effes wrote:
cecil89 wrote:
deano35 wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
deano35 wrote:
Not once did I see in the 2nd half Dow, Fisher, SPS, Martin or anyone else apart from the same 4 in the middle. It makes me sick.
WE HAVE OFFICIALLY KILLED SPS .
Why play Dow as your HF you might as well play Cunningham
WHAT IS TEAGUE DOING????
We are killing our young onball talent coz they no longer play like they did last season.
When David took over he moved players during games NOW its the total opposite.
Just exactly how many times in the 2nd half did we attend the centre bounce.
3 times in the 2nd quarter
5 times in the last.
You keep banging on about this but it is irrelevant.
Once the ball is bounced they are basically all midfielders .
Centre clearance were 6 to 7 all game.
These blokes you say Teague is killing are killing themselves by not running hard enough and presenting.
Look at Walsh he runs harder than anyone and he gets the ball.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

So your happy with a midfield rotation of 5 players??
Cripps,Murphy, Ed,Setterfield, Walsh, Newnes
It's a bit hard for a forward pocket to run like Walsh who plays WING.
Everytime Fisher is around the ball something happens.
Why play DOW if your gonna use him as a HF. might as well play Cunningham.
Cripps isn't running hard back. We only have Ed and Walsh as our hard running on ballers.

Why waste all these high end draft picks on midfielders who have speed and power which we clearly lack and yet 1 is at HB, another in a forward pocket, 3 wasting away in scratch matches and another at HF.

So don't blame the kids when they hardly play in there.
Remember when David took over HE said "Play to your strengths "

Well I would have thought an elite junior midfielders strengths are actually playing MIDFIELD

None of Fisher, SPS, Cuningham or Dow are big possession getters. They don’t find the footy enough and never really did in the junior comps either. We haven’t seen enough of Kemp and Philp yet, but my concern is they are the same. Teague just touched on it in his press conference; we need some of these guys to step up. They might have limited opportunities, but whatever opportunities they get they absolutely have to take. They’ve failed that so far this season. Setterfield is a guy who has taken it and won a spot in the regular rotation as a result.

The other key point in the Teague press conference was our lack of inside/outside midfielders. We have a lot of 1 dimensional mids. SPS is an outside player. Dow lacks outside and link-up play. Fisher is good in contested situations, but his size will always limit his effectiveness. Cripps is clearly an inside bull. Walsh is an elite outside runner. Murphy lacks an inside game and is heavily criticised for it. Curnow lacks the polish in his disposal to be damaging on the outside. Stocker, inside. O’Brien, outside. It’s absolutely a problem for us.

Dow averaged 26 in the TAC. SPS averaged around 20 in his junior comp. Both won their own footy too. Fisher was the only West Australian at at the Under-18 Championships to average over 20 disposals.

I’ve had a hard time finding any stats, whether they confirm or disprove my argument, but my memory is that each of Fisher, SPS and Dow averaged around 20 possessions in the Champs. Solid numbers, but not what I would consider accumulators. Stocker and Philp had good TAC numbers, but weren’t at the championships.

I actually agree that Fisher, Dow and SPS in particular should be getting a good amount of midfield time. I think the amount Dow has got in the last 2 games has been about right. Fish and SPS need more. Again, I think it comes back to them taking their chances though. Dow hasn’t done enough in the past 2 games to demand more time and I think Teague is pushing these young guys and making them demand it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:11 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

deano35 wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
deano35 wrote:
Not once did I see in the 2nd half Dow, Fisher, SPS, Martin or anyone else apart from the same 4 in the middle. It makes me sick.
WE HAVE OFFICIALLY KILLED SPS .
Why play Dow as your HF you might as well play Cunningham
WHAT IS TEAGUE DOING????
We are killing our young onball talent coz they no longer play like they did last season.
When David took over he moved players during games NOW its the total opposite.
Just exactly how many times in the 2nd half did we attend the centre bounce.
3 times in the 2nd quarter
5 times in the last.
You keep banging on about this but it is irrelevant.
Once the ball is bounced they are basically all midfielders .
Centre clearance were 6 to 7 all game.
These blokes you say Teague is killing are killing themselves by not running hard enough and presenting.
Look at Walsh he runs harder than anyone and he gets the ball.

So your happy with a midfield rotation of 5 players??
Cripps,Murphy, Ed,Setterfield, Walsh, Newnes
It's a bit hard for a forward pocket to run like Walsh who plays WING.
Everytime Fisher is around the ball something happens.
Why play DOW if your gonna use him as a HF. might as well play Cunningham.
Cripps isn't running hard back. We only have Ed and Walsh as our hard running on ballers.

Why waste all these high end draft picks on midfielders who have speed and power which we clearly lack and yet 1 is at HB, another in a forward pocket, 3 wasting away in scratch matches and another at HF.

So don't blame the kids when they hardly play in there.
Remember when David took over HE said "Play to your strengths "

Well I would have thought an elite junior midfielders strengths are actually playing MIDFIELD
I am happy with centre bounce rotation of 4 to 5 players when there are 25 plus goals kicked in a game and 29 plus centre bounces
No I am not.
I am happy when there are 13 centre bounces yes I am.
Teague was trying to win these games not giving free hits in the middle for players who haven't shown enough to deserve it.

This talk of players on the wing or Half forward most are there for 10 seconds after the bounce at worst.
They are pushing forward flooding back filling holes all over the ground. Walsh doesn't sit out on the wing and say kick it to me he runs all over the ground making himself an option and when the ball turns over he is right on his opponents tail.
Its gut running him and Curnow are the only ones that do it. Settlefield bust his arse to get to every stoppage so does cripps.
SPS Dow and Fisher don't gut run enough.
How many times have you seen SPS kick the ball and then bust his arse to provide the next option like most running defenders do.
Hell even Polson does it.
Don't blame Teague for trying to win games with his better players and don't reward lazy footballers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:20 pm 
Rod McGregor

Pretty deflating season, our composure inside the forward 50 has killed us. As Carlton fans we are pessimists given what we have been through, but i think the frustration that we have been well on top of two quality teams (a Prelim Finalist and a Grand Finalist of the previous year) and blew two golden opportunities has taken that frustration to a new level.

Our lack of leadership doesn't help either. It's going to be a long summer.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:21 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

bluehammer wrote:
Would we be bold enough to put McKay up as part of a big midfield trade?

We need mids. Mids mids and more mids.

And we need to trade big for at least one of those.
Hope so

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:35 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Any thoughts on how Russell has or hasn't impacted the team?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:36 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

david31 wrote:

You partly asswered your own criticism there mentioning Cunningham and Fisher. We also have O'Brien, SPS and Martin who can play outside.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:39 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

There's just so much to say:
The Good:
The Giants have been touching us up by 15 goals in recent times, so I don't believe we were ever going to win the game, especially with the amount of elite talent in their side. Our performance was were we are at. With all the holes in personnel, tactics and toughness we could still compete.
The Bad:
When they sacked Bolton and SOS the board officially lost their nerve and gave up on the rebuild. Now we are playing to make the 8 not win a flag. Based on the last 2 performances we are 3 or 4 players away from being a top 8 side. So with some good recruiting this off-season we will make the 8 next year.
The Ugly:
Our kids, aside from a couple of stand-outs aren't going to be good enough to take us to the promised land.

So here we are stuck in the middle (I.e. roadkill) which might just be worse than being on the bottom.

Cb

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:46 pm 
Harry Vallence

Was a very quiet 90 minute drive back to Brisbane from Metricon...at least the traffic wasn’t too bad.

2nd time in a week I’ve fronted up and been front row centre for this dysfunctional shitshow masquerading as a footy club.

1.9 in 5 quarters of football

A 4 goal run to 0 in yet another unacceptable 4th quarter fade out

Abysmal forward entries, more butchers than a BBQ convention

Until this team understands that 100% effort is required for 4 quarters, we’ll never be anything but a pricktease

Scared of winning and I don’t know why. Blues are killing us :banghead:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:05 am 
Ken Hunter

Scotty12000 wrote:
Was a very quiet 90 minute drive back to Brisbane from Metricon...at least the traffic wasn’t too bad.

2nd time in a week I’ve fronted up and been front row centre for this dysfunctional shitshow masquerading as a footy club.

See you back there on Tuesday for the Swans game.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:14 am 
Harry Vallence

bluedog wrote:
Scotty12000 wrote:

Yep, will be there :donk:

I guess at least this year I haven’t had to fork out big bucks on planes and hotels to fly down and watch us get whacked in Melbourne sporadically when I could find time, the disappointment is now right in my backyard each and every week...this must be how Victorian supporters felt pre-Covid, fronting up to this BS pretty much every week :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:19 am 
Ken Hunter

Scotty12000 wrote:
bluedog wrote:
Scotty12000 wrote:

Yep, will be there :donk:

I guess at least this year I haven’t had to fork out big bucks on planes and hotels to fly down and watch us get whacked in Melbourne sporadically when I could find time, the disappointment is now right in my backyard each and every week...this must be how Victorian supporters felt pre-Covid, fronting up to this BS pretty much every week :lol:

Yes.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:07 am 
Craig Bradley

Geez, we had some absolutely horrible players tonight.

SPS... honestly thought he was knocked out of the game in the warm up. If his body isn’t injured, his pride certainly is. Get over it son.
Fisher... seemed lively, then copped a knock and spent the rest of the game skulking out wide like some poor mistreated dog. Not sure he enjoys the contact side of the game. It can’t all be candy and joe the goose.
Cottrell... but he can run though. :roll:

The rest of the f-wittery was a nice even spread amongst our better mids, in particular the hatchet jobs done on our forward entries.

AND YET.... if Harry could kick a straight drop punt, we win the game.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:19 am 
Rod Ashman

Jonosc1 wrote:
5 goals in 6 quarters of football
But hey everything’s ok.

Teague - we will learn from that. We didn’t play our way.

Meanwhile we continue to be irrelevant, we continue to be mentally weak. We continue to draft kids and not develop them, to play blokes in positions where they can’t use their skills.

But hey everything is alright.

Oh by the way we actually ain’t a young team.

This is exactly how I feel, well.said

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next