Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:21 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

bluedog wrote:
toddkurnski wrote:
Scotty12000 wrote:
Just got tickets, bring it on!

Got mine too. Pumped!

I'm looking forward to being there too.

Please, stick those tackles!
One bonus of us missing games is that you guys get to go.

Can honestly say I'm pleased for you!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:22 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
I think Dow has to come in. 12 clearances in the ressies. But he has to play midfield.
Murphy to the wing, Cottrell out of the side and Dow into the midfield rotation. By all means rotate Murphy and Walsh through there as well but we need leg speed in the middle. At the moment, I think Newnes has taken Cuninghams role. He was clean as a whistle with his ground balls on Friday and he set up a number of goals with his hands. Half forward is his to lose at the moment IMHO. With players like Elliot in the midfield, we need some wheels in there as well and Dow deserves the chance with 2 BOG's out of the past 3 reserves games.

I would also like to see Dow come in, but he has to challenge Kennedy and Cunningham for a spot, who are both fit. Whatever side is chosen it's good to know that there is a great contest for a spot in the 22. This puts pressure on those in the selected team to perform. It's good to know this is the case, it hasn't been for a long time.

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:28 pm 
Harry Vallence

frank dardew wrote:
Biggest game for us in the last 5 years and in past years you know what would result -not turning up essentially
However seen greater resolve from this group recently and hope we get a performance like against cats not like against hawks and saints
Need to start well but also get scoreboard pressure on and take our opportunities 7-18 won’t do it
Need a lift in midfield

Biggest game for us in the last 5 years?
That's a big call and isn't it great! :wink:
I'm really excited!

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:43 pm 
Ken Hunter

Apologies if this has already been mentioned:

Quote:
The two clubs have played each other 257 times in the VFL/AFL, with Carlton ahead with 127 wins to Collingwood, 126 wins and 4 draws.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlton%E2%80%93Collingwood_AFL_rivalry

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:40 pm 
Robert Walls

bluedog wrote:
Apologies if this has already been mentioned:

Quote:
The two clubs have played each other 257 times in the VFL/AFL, with Carlton ahead with 127 wins to Collingwood, 126 wins and 4 draws.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlton%E2%80%93Collingwood_AFL_rivalry

Seeing as you’re going old school, bluedog, I’ll share that it’s halfway through the second quarter of the 1970 grand final at my joint tonight. Never seen the game before.

Gee it’s thrilling to watch. Collingwood playing a cracking game minus the numerous points they’ve kicked. Carlton coming good in the second quarter, but it’s fair to say I cannot for the life of me believe Collingwood could lose from here.

That Jezza mark came from nowhere btw. Was expecting it in the third quarter as a moment when the game turned, but no - not even a goal scored from it. Really surprising considering the weight the mark holds in afl history. The commentators haven’t referred to it since at all.

Different times.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:55 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:
I think Dow has to come in. 12 clearances in the ressies. But he has to play midfield.
Murphy to the wing, Cottrell out of the side and Dow into the midfield rotation. By all means rotate Murphy and Walsh through there as well but we need leg speed in the middle. At the moment, I think Newnes has taken Cuninghams role. He was clean as a whistle with his ground balls on Friday and he set up a number of goals with his hands. Half forward is his to lose at the moment IMHO. With players like Elliot in the midfield, we need some wheels in there as well and Dow deserves the chance with 2 BOG's out of the past 3 reserves games.
Posted in the 'Dow' player thread... But his highlights on the latest video, especially his inside work looked excellent... Good to get a go when you are running hot! :thumbsup:

Go Blues

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:07 am 
Wayne Johnston

billc3 wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Posted in the 'Dow' player thread... But his highlights on the latest video, especially his inside work looked excellent... Good to get a go when you are running hot! :thumbsup:

Go Blues

Yep, the video from his game a couple of weeks ago was just the same. He is exactly the type of player we are missing. Someone who can win the contested ball but also gives us some explosiveness out of the middle. Have to get him in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:45 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Vain wrote:

Murphy had about 10 clearances last weekend.
When he is on song he is worth keeping in the rotation.
His last few weeks have been good.
I would throw him into the cauldron this week against Collingwood, maybe put him outside or forward for GWS and rest him for the Adelaide game.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:51 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Murphy had about 10 clearances last weekend.

Try 5.
No one is saying Murphy is banned from the centre square but we need to rotate more. At the moment, it's Cripps, Ed, Setterfield and Murphy. If we can put Dow in there, it may allow us to play our best players through the condensed fixture by giving them less time around the contest. Plus it gives us a point of difference with his burst and ability to accelerate from the stoppage.
The key is to understand Dow has deficiencies but to maximise his strengths. Cripps is a very poor kick but we maximise his strengths which is the contested footy. Dow may not pinpoint his kicks going forward but if we can get a 50/50 contest in our forward line at worst instead of the ball going the other way, it's a win IMHO.
He's not a forward. He's a midfielder and he needs opportunity to hone his craft. It's not like we're carrying him. He has earned his opportunity.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:05 am 
Ken Hunter

Could not agree more BV. We really do need to rotate more players.
For instance, I don't believe Fisher has entered in there this year.
I also feel the shorter quarters is impacting setups but we have a good 8 or so players that can go through there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:45 am 
Stephen Kernahan

SurreyBlue wrote:
I also feel the shorter quarters is impacting setups but we have a good 8 or so players that can go through there.

I agree Surrey. We seem to be sticking with the same players because they handle it easier with shorter quarters. (I should have mentioned Martin as well, he's been in the midfield rotation)
But with Cripps and Ed carrying the majority of the work, the cumulative effect may see them suffer with the shorter turnarounds coming up. It's pointless waiting for them to show fatigue before we take remedial action. Let's be proactive and at the same time, we're looking after the future as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:57 am 
Wayne Johnston

Blue Vain wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

I agree Surrey. We seem to be sticking with the same players because they handle it easier with shorter quarters. (I should have mentioned Martin as well, he's been in the midfield rotation)
But with Cripps and Ed carrying the majority of the work, the cumulative effect may see them suffer with the shorter turnarounds coming up. It's pointless waiting for them to show fatigue before we take remedial action. Let's be proactive and at the same time, we're looking after the future as well.

Well said BV

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:21 pm 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

From what Teague has said at his pressers I don't think this will happen. Players will be rested if and when they need it and I do not think after the last game anyone will need it. I am looking forward to seeing Dow when he comes back into the side as I agree he adds differentiation to a generally plodding midfield.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:46 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Less goals being scored means less centre bounces.
Which in turn lessons the need to rotate through there.
Interchange numbers are basically the same so the players time on ground wouldn't have changed to much.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:01 pm 
Harry Vallence

I have spoken to two Collingwood supporters about Sunday's match and each said the same thing. Carlton are playing well, while their Pies aren't playing well and both concluded that they expect to lose the match.

It's sort of a nice feeling that fans of an old traditional rival have no confidence in their team, but I remind myself of the sleeping dog that could be Collingwood.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:26 pm 
Geoff Southby

jake_h03 wrote:
billc3 wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Go Blues

Yep, the video from his game a couple of weeks ago was just the same. He is exactly the type of player we are missing. Someone who can win the contested ball but also gives us some explosiveness out of the middle. Have to get him in

Agreed.

But as I posted on the Dow thread who goes out. I disagree with Cottrell who is playing well. Plus who takes Cottrell's place at half back. Anyway I think he is playing as well as Williamson, certainly with more toughness.

Other than Cottrell who is dropped for Dow. Gibbons?

Probable unchanged lineup.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:51 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Cottrell is playing predominantly wing, not half back. The backline rotation are Simpson, Docherty, SPS, Plowman, Jones, Williamson, Weitering. The additional midfielder could rotate onto the wing. (Murphy)
As for Cottrell holding his place, I like him but he doesn't hold his spot on last weeks showing IMHO.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:23 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
jake_h03 wrote:
billc3 wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Go Blues

Agreed.

But as I posted on the Dow thread who goes out. I disagree with Cottrell who is playing well. Plus who takes Cottrell's place at half back. Anyway I think he is playing as well as Williamson, certainly with more toughness.

Other than Cottrell who is dropped for Dow. Gibbons?

Probable unchanged lineup.

It’s funny how different people see the game differently. To me Cottrell has looked well out of his depth the past two games. I like him and think there is plenty to work with for the future, but at the moment his ball use/decision making seems a long way off. Against Freo I recall 3 kicks in a row out D50 that were rushed and went straight to opposition players. Each one he had more time than he thought but just panicked. He went at 28% efficiency against Freo and 41% against Gold Coast. No where near enough for a player playing his role

I think it’s just a confidence thing and feeling he belongs at the level, but right now we have much better options. I’d be playing any of Dow, Kennedy, Cunners well ahead of Cots at this point in time. We can shuffle things around positionally

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:18 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Cots was very ordinary in the first half last week. I don't think the second half saved him.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:31 pm 
Wayne Johnston

kingkerna wrote:
Cots was very ordinary in the first half last week. I don't think the second half saved him.

Agree. Don’t feel he’s in ‘must drop’ territory but when you have Dow tearing up the scratch matches and Cunners and Kennedy both available he’s not in our best side

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next