Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 266  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 12:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

robertbb wrote:
Is there a stat on how many coaches each club has changed over the course of, say, the last 10 years? The last 15?

We've certainly churned through a few. I'd be surprised if we don't lead the league on this one, since the early/mid 2000's. Surely if we continue doing the same thing, we can't expect a different result.

With Judd and MlG officially moving on end of year, and if my mail is true (from outside of TC) that several of our line coaches will be moved on at the end of the year, perhaps we should persist with Teague - particularly if the players like him, I don't have any particular info on that aspect - and go hard on getting a better team around him. Mentor. Line coaches. Fitness staff - is Russell past it? Psychologist (no joke, so much of this game is upstairs).

Problems at this club run deeper than the head coach. Need to give him (and Liddle) time to turn the ship around.

Good summary. I chop & change on this, must admit I have had my get Clarkson get Lyon moments after a loss, but when sanity prevails I keep coming back to the fact that at some stage we simply have to stop replacing coaches & just persist. We wonder why our players look like they can't play to a system but they've had 3 coaches in the last 6 years or whatever it is.

But I'm all for changing up the support staff

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:32 pm 
Geoff Southby

Bookie wrote:
Funny how the only kid Bolts gave a proper apprenticeship not just gifted games on draft position turns out to be leading the Coleman.

IIRC, I'm pretty sure Harry was mostly injured for his first 3 years when Bolts was at the club and had no choice but to come up through the VFL due to fitness.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:42 pm 
Harry Vallence

I get the frustrations, however I don't think that any other team has played the top eight side more than us, it's been an incredibly tough start to the year coupled with so many injuries and underdone players that Teague is coaching with one hand tied behind his back.

Cripps, Casbolt, Harry, Williams all playing hurt but why

Casbolt - Because TDK has been injured and only working his way back in the VFL and we have no other backup rucks
Cripps, Williams - Because Martin & Fisher is injured and Dow, LOB & SPS need to work on areas in their game in the VFL
Harry - With Charlie, McGovern and JSOS all injured, he has been massive to play the way he is, but would probably be rested if there was as many injuries

For the most part we have been in winning positions in every game and yet we can't get the job done - that is on the players and leaders of the club - not Teague.

Every team has injuries, but look at the teams that have inexperienced coaches North, Essendon*, Carlton & Adelaide and Teague is more than holding his own with only the bombers ahead of us on the ladder yet only played 3 top eight teams compared to 5 for us.

I still have faith in Teague, however there needs to be a major refresh of the coaching group with some long standing assistants moved on (Barker & Amos) to freshen things up a bit

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:50 pm 
Geoff Southby

Steve_C7 wrote:
I get the frustrations, however I don't think that any other team has played the top eight side more than us, it's been an incredibly tough start to the year coupled with so many injuries and underdone players that Teague is coaching with one hand tied behind his back.

Casbolt - Because TDK has been injured and only working his way back in the VFL and we have no other backup rucks
Cripps, Williams - Because Martin & Fisher is injured and Dow, LOB & SPS need to work on areas in their game in the VFL
Harry - With Charlie, McGovern and JSOS all injured, he has been massive to play the way he is, but would probably be rested if there was as many injuries

For the most part we have been in winning positions in every game and yet we can't get the job done - that is on the players and leaders of the club - not Teague.

Every team has injuries, but look at the teams that have inexperienced coaches North, Essendon**, Carlton & Adelaide and Teague is more than holding his own with only the bombers ahead of us on the ladder yet only played 3 top eight teams compared to 5 for us.

I still have faith in Teague, however there needs to be a major refresh of the coaching group with some long standing assistants moved on (Barker & Amos) to freshen things up a bit

Good post.
Although I'm not a Teague fan, I am also opposed to continually changing coaches.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:12 pm 
Bruce Doull

Steve_C7 wrote:

Every team has injuries, but look at the teams that have inexperienced coaches North, Essendon**, Carlton & Adelaide and Teague is more than holding his own with only the bombers ahead of us on the ladder yet only played 3 top eight teams compared to 5 for us.

I agree for the most part, particularly on having a challenging draw, too many injuries and a subpar team of assistants. These are the reasons why I won't blame everything on Teague yet, although I think there are things he probably do more to help give players that extra boost (such as giving them a rocket that one time, before the players threw a hissy fit about it), and good teams cover injuries.

But this doesn't change the fact that we should be further ahead than where we are. It's been six years since our 'rebuild' began, and player's development (psychological, skills and physical) is still sub-par. IMO injuries aren't an excuse, they're a symptom.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:54 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

deano35 wrote:
He's made this bed all by himself.
Why is Murphy being gifted games.
Why is Plowman automatic selection.
Why are our young mids dropped week in week out.
Why are our young players getting form in the reserves yet come back in and play a different position.
Why is Levi still playing.
Why is Cripps playing.
Why is TDK not playing after having 3 months off.
Why is Gibbons dropped then still played as a sub.

I said it after the Filth game that a statement should have been made and standards set that could have changed the whole psychology of this footy club when he had the opportunity to drop senior players like Plowman, Murphy and Casboult but instead it was like groundhog day he dropped the kids.
This problem has been created by him and his assistants whereby players like Plowman and Murphy know no matter what they do on game day that their place in this team is safe week in week out.
We are a soft , nice and cuddly club and the words RUTHLESS and ARROGANT are NO longer associated with CFC.
Culture we have NONE

Whilst I feel strongly that the biggest thing to stall our progress this year has been injury.
Our team doesn't have the depth to replace the injured, so we can't afford to have half a dozen of our best out.

BUT, I strongly agreed with your opinion after the Filth game, and do so now.
There has to be standards which are acceptable and standards which are not.
In round 2, Plow, Levi and Murphy deserved to be dropped.
Teague doesn't like making statements.

Well, he is if Teague continues to gift games to those out of form, or don't listen to instruction, or are not fully fit, thenthat's a statement of sort.
Now the cupboard is bereft of Plow replacements with marchy and Gov out injured, and we are waiting for TDK to be fully fully plus some fit why would players fear losing their spot in the best 22, especially if they are over 25yo?

Fools gold is what Teague believes on. He needs to become more ruthless at the selection table. That's culuture.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Walsh wrote:
Everyone has the right of say on our Senior coach.

But does take a long time to build a strong team culture.

Bomber Thompson took him seven years
Hardwick eight years

Hinkley eight years and no flag

Leon Cameron seven years and no flag with arguably the best list two years ago.

Takes a long time for the coach to imprint a team culture and keep swap and changing doesn't do anyone any good.

Providing there is a system and players not running around like headless chook and lose players in the dressing room which Bolton did he is not going anywhere. Alot of work needs to be done.

But culture takes time as you point out Walshy.
But doing nothing to set standards doesn't fast track something we are trying to build: culture.
In particular Winning Culture.

The older players who have been around since Ratten days have, I believe, have got use to failure as the norm, and don't know how to muster the desire and encouragement required to get their younger teammates over the line. Need a clean out. The older players who may be injured or out of form, or lack ticker, have not helped get wins on the board. Development opportunities are being wasted and standards are not being set with consequences for digressions.

Get rid of the oldies at the end of the year is a good start

Betts 35...bye
Murphy 34...bye
Curnow 32 ... we need to replace him with a mid with more class, till then we are stuck with him.
Casboult 31 ... bye, but we really need to replace him with a ready made Fwd Ruck...from SA WA
Jones 30....we need to replace him. Undisciplined and erratic. Throw $$ at Ben McKay or the like.

After the abovementioned are gone the nest eldest statesman are Saad 28, Doc 27 & Plow 27....gosh we need an upgrade on Plow. He was really bad yesterday....looked like, and had reflexes like an old man.

I'd rather have kids trying harder and making mistakes rather than watching mistakes being made from a lack of desire and effort.

Teague keeps selecting those types, so he will fall on his sword doing that.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 4:21 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Steve_C7 wrote:

True, but look at the teams who have beaten Filth: GCS, Effend*, Swans, WCE, (Nth nearly did)....a game a more strategic, and less forgiving coach would have won for Carlton me thinks.

They both play a role in losses. Starts at the selection table. There was an opportunities to play McDonald, Gov, TDK last week instead of Levi, and Teague didn't.

Good point. I'm convinced its a factor

Spoke with someone today and the 2 new assistants will happen. Its become common news around the club. There's questions about a lack of "modern" zone defense for players to work towards and that's a big concern. AS soon as Carlton won the ball, Melbourne players sprinted back, not only one on ones, but filling holes and lead lanes, with mids piling on pressure to the ball carriers or recipients, knowing the Blues would just bomb it forward. That's a simpleton plan owned by Teague. Good if we had all 3 fit players, Harry, Charlie and SOS/Gov there for the mark.

There's no Plan B...lower the eyes.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:04 pm 
Garry Crane

My mail coming out of Carlton is not many of the younger players like Teague and it is pretty easy to see why

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:24 pm 
John Nicholls

Stranger wrote:
My mail coming out of Carlton is not many of the younger players like Teague and it is pretty easy to see why

Are they the same younger players that didn't like Bolton and got him rolled? Or was that the senior players?

Either way, seems like the tail wagging the dog. Not that I have any particular love for Teague - just that I wonder (as stated earlier) if swapping coaches is going to result in any different an outcome than the last 4-5 times we've done it in the past 15 years :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:43 pm 
Bruce Doull

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... 8560a500b4

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:44 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Teague needs to engage Dan Andrews so he can teach the team how to lockdown when the other teams get a run

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:29 pm 
Ken Hunter

Sydney Blue wrote:
Teague needs to engage Dan Andrews so he can teach the team how to lockdown when the other teams get a run

:lol: :clap:

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:40 pm 
Robert Walls

BlueJean wrote:
deano35 wrote:
Why are our young players getting form in the reserves yet come back in and play a different position.
Why is Cripps playing.

I said it after the Filth game that a statement should have been made and standards set that could have changed the whole psychology of this footy club when he had the opportunity to drop senior players like Plowman, Murphy and Casboult but instead it was like groundhog day he dropped the kids.
This problem has been created by him and his assistants whereby players like Plowman and Murphy know no matter what they do on game day that their place in this team is safe week in week out.
We are a soft , nice and cuddly club and the words RUTHLESS and ARROGANT are NO longer associated with CFC.
Culture we have NONE

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Hear hear to both of you
PS. Why was SPS NOT dropped when his form was poor yet he was dropped when he showed something (in the flowering middle) after coming on as a sub

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:33 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sydney Blue wrote:

You only bring in Dan the moron andrews to help teach Teague how to Blame everyone else except himself when it goes wrong

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:34 pm 
Harry Vallence

99prelim wrote:
BlueJean wrote:
deano35 wrote:
Why is Cripps playing.

Culture we have NONE

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Hear hear to both of you
PS. Why was SPS NOT dropped when his form was poor yet he was dropped when he showed something (in the flowering middle) after coming on as a sub

There is complete disconnect

Dow had 4 clearances against the drug cheats in the 15 minutes he was on before getting injured and he hasn’t been seen again

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:16 pm 
Geoff Southby

jake_h03 wrote:
Rather than finding reasons Teague should get the sack, can anyone tell my he should actually be our coach, other the fact that he’s the incumbent? What are his redeeming features? What do you see that you like? What sets him apart that makes you think he can take us to the top?

If Teague wasn’t already coach, and we were picking a coach on the open market given what we know about him from the past 2 years, would anyone actually pick Teague to be our coach and believe he is the best available?

Not directed at anyone in particular, just curious to see if anyone can pinpoint some legitimate strengths of his to give me some confidence that he’s the man to take us forward

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On the plus side, seems the players give consistent effort week in and week out, we are usually in games even when we don’t look good at all.

So id say man management seems like it’s a strength, outside looking in.

Tactically, we try and move ball fast but get killed on turnovers way too often.

It’s been 2 years and we don’t seem to have figured out a way to fix this issue, maybe for fearing of robbing us of a strength.

I certainly wouldn’t be making a move on Teague until we have bolstered the assistants around him.

As underwhelming as we may of been so far, there are things we do well, and I want to preserve that and add to it rather than binning it all.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:17 pm 
Geoff Southby

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
It took Hardwick 8 years to really get his team going.

Then 3 premierships in 4 years.

Were we laughing at him during those 8 years, you bet we were.

How long has Teague had. One full covid influenced season and two part seasons.

I don't know if Teague is the coach but I try to see it from all angles.

Certainly a turnover of assistant coaches who have been around for awhile couldn't hurt.

Exactly, at least give him until next season.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:33 pm 
Geoff Southby

Stranger wrote:

So we’ve gone one extreme to the other with bolts and Teague.

Before it was give kids games no matter what and shuffle the older guys to the fringes.

I do think he’s deferred too much to the older guys who performed and helped him get the job in the first place, but at the same time it’s not like we are depriving guys who are staring in the VFL of games.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:39 am 
Harry Vallence

deano35 wrote:
Why is Cripps playing.

Culture we have NONE

summed it all up nicely

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5310 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 266  Next