Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:34 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bluebo baggers wrote:
They’re so overrated - we will win if we bring pressure like last night but not if we give them 22 more inside 50’s

Last I checked they won the premiership and we didn't even make finals. Yesh they're overrated

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:12 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Paddycripps wrote:
If you read between the lines , Voss' messaging already this year has consistently hinted that the list isn't right yet. I suspect that's why they blooded 2 debutants in R1. Get games into them quickly if possible.
Hardwick said that his list was the best group he has had since he had been coach.
Considering they won 3 flags that is pretty high praise.
Maybe we just played out a draw with a team that is better than a team that won 3 flags

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:52 am 
Bruce Doull

I still rate Richmond very highly. Yes we went for the dump kick way too often but we were up against probably the best system ever at forcing the dump kick.

We had underdone players & 2 debutants & didn't get beaten.

And I reckon both Acres & McGovern will lift against Geelong. They're better than they showed on Thurs.

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:04 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Sydney Blue wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
If you read between the lines , Voss' messaging already this year has consistently hinted that the list isn't right yet. I suspect that's why they blooded 2 debutants in R1. Get games into them quickly if possible.
Hardwick said that his list was the best group he has had since he had been coach.
Considering they won 3 flags that is pretty high praise.
Maybe we just played out a draw with a team that is better than a team that won 3 flags

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

Yeah I don’t think Richmond are that flash to be honest … in any case we’ll get a better idea over the next two weeks …

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:11 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Arnhem blues wrote:
Dow 4 goals and dominated - are we sure he can't be a mid rotating forward?
Gotta be a better option than Owies? and if we are rewarding effort must be a better option than Martin or Zac - although happy to give Zac a second chance...
For me:
In: Dow (& plow if Cow injured), Durdin
Out: Owies Martin (Cow (if injured)

Interested on where people stand with LOB, Acres and Ollie...

Vossys game plan on Thursday reminded me of the ugly but highly effective Swans circa 2005. Hard slog. Flooding. Contested footy. A battle of attrition.

There was a few players with low output I think need to be replaced. I watched Acres and he ran to good position in a 3/4 pace plod and totally get why he didn’t have too many possessions. Ditto Hollands. Gov was rusty but had good moments and think those 3 will be better for the run.

Dow must be rewarded for an outstanding game, and I wasn’t a fan, but based on his strength speed and a huge kick on him, and 4 fan goals he’s clearly in better form than Martin, Fisher and Owies.

The smalls can’t be what Vossy wants them to do with forward pressure when he’s playing a team defence flood.

I’m sure it will be tweaked coz at least one small didn’t have to be sucked into that. Defence.

Plow wasn’t that fantastic in the reserves, and I thought Kemp looked ok, nothing great but no worse or better than Plowman. I guess Plow is a safer and Kemp is only just back for his first game of the year.

I want Martin dropped. He’s not fit enough. Honey to take his spot without doubt. Fisher isn’t strong enough and Owies is just tough. One of those 2 dropped for Dow leaving us with 2 smalls with Motley

Pitto was bouncing around like a spring chicken. He was making it obvious he’s fit and firing for senior ruck duties. He did well in the reserves.

2 rucks thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:25 pm 
Ken Hunter

rhino27 wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Hawkins will kick the winning goal on the siren..another brave effort by Carlton falls short.

After we shw zero intent to score or win the game in the last 7 minutes. Rather go ultra defensive and hope like hell we can save the game.

And yet some on here saying LOB should have wheeled around and looked for a backwards pass, or try for a not-deliberate out of bounds, so it looks like there's some disagreement on the best approach. :)

I want us to play brave footy but it takes incredible running power and stamina to emulate Collingwood, so if we haven't got the cattle I will settle for a strong lockdown strategy (too soon?)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GreatEx wrote:
rhino27 wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Hawkins will kick the winning goal on the siren..another brave effort by Carlton falls short.

After we shw zero intent to score or win the game in the last 7 minutes. Rather go ultra defensive and hope like hell we can save the game.

And yet some on here saying LOB should have wheeled around and looked for a backwards pass, or try for a not-deliberate out of bounds, so it looks like there's some disagreement on the best approach. :)

I want us to play brave footy but it takes incredible running power and stamina to emulate Collingwood, so if we haven't got the cattle I will settle for a strong lockdown strategy (too soon?)

That’s the point GE.

How to best use the cattle we have.

We are not Collingwood, but I’m sure like last year, depending on opponent we will play full attack and score a pile quickly. It’s up to our leaders to listen look and assess the opposition and pull the levers. I think Cripps alluded to that in an interview. We are evolving.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:05 pm 
Rod Ashman

I reckon we played a specific strategy to combat the Tigers.
I suspect it will be different against Geelong who have basically the opposite approach to the Tigers.
From reports of Dow’s performance, now is the time to bring him in full of confidence. IMO, he will replace either Fisher or Martin. Not sure about Owies - I think Voss likes his tackling/pressure so not sure whether he or Durdin are ahead in the pecking order. And Pitto will come in too, prob for Silvagni but not sure on whether Silvagni will get dropped just yet.
I’m not sure on why there is so much hate for McGovern - I think was mostly really good and actually looked fit to me. Yes, he did stuff up a few times but so did almost everyone else. I think Martin will be better for the run too so not sure who will get dropped for Dow.
It is a good opportunity for Voss to get into the ears of Martin, Fisher and Owies about playing 4 quarters and making an impact.
I’m not at all worried about Hollands, Cowan or Acres.
I am worried about lack of movement in our forward line - even if we’re slow to get it in there, with perpetual motion, something should open up. As it is, they were stationary too often forcing the ball to be bombed in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:51 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Martin played?

Probably a good idea to be at the feet of the big guys then.... might get a touch

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

Hey Billy boy….

we need 2 Jeffy Garletts and an Eddie Betts…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:31 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Look I am just a fan and not an expert but until we start icing close games against good sides and until we are in the finals we haven't achieved a God damn thing. This is a results business.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:54 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

tommi wrote:
Hey Billy boy….

we need 2 Jeffy Garletts and an Eddie Betts…!

kindest regards tommi
:thumbsup:

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:58 am 
Bruce Doull

Paddycripps wrote:
Look I am just a fan and not an expert but until we start icing close games against good sides and until we are in the finals we haven't achieved a God damn thing. This is a results business.

I agree, but we are still in the process of becoming that team.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:14 am 
Harry Vallence

Unless we're going to try Dow as a small forward, I'd go with no change.

Think it's more likely Martin plays his way into form than expecting Honey or Durdin to come in off scratch and contribute against the reigning premiers. Less convinced re Fisher, and would swap for Dow, but don't see it happening.

I'd prefer Pitto over JSOS long term, but the forward line issues make it a necessity for now, and don't think there's too much lost in giving Pitto another week to build fitness.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:04 pm 
Geoff Southby

I’m not convinced it will work, but I reckon we’ll bring in a tall for a small this week.

In - Pittonet
Out - Fisher

B: Newman Young McGovern
HB: Saad Weitering Docherty
C: Acres Cripps Hollands
HF: Martin SOJ Motlop
F: Owies Harry Charlie

R: TDK Hewitt Cerra
Inter: Cowan, E.Curnow, Kennedy, Pittonet
Sub: LOB

All going to plan, we sub out a ruckman at 3/4 time for the extra run in the final quarter.

I’m a fan of Fisher, but he was the invisible man last week. Owies & Martin need to lift too but I think Owies consistently gives us more in terms of forward pressure and Martin should be better for the run. Another quiet game for either of them and I would bring in Honey or Fisher the following week.

I think if Dow is coming in it’s for E.Curnow, but I don’t think they will pull that rein this week.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:31 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Well done to O'Brien for taking a bounce and running the ball. It's something we need more of. Credit to the Richmond player who put in a 100% chase and pressured him to kick the ball. A lot of our players could learn a lot from that. Too many of our chases are piss weak half arsed efforts.
My criticism of LOB would be more around his effort in the last 10 seconds. Acres inexcusably dropped the mark but when LOB won the spilled ball he braced for contact as usual instead of trying to get it out. They're the parts of Lachies game that will continually let him down. He fears contact. Someone like Matt Kennedy would have taken the knock and looked to get the ball out to a team mate.

All isn't lost. I thought we'd lose with so many underdone players so the 2 points are a bonus against a good side IMHO. I'd back us to win Thursday night if we make the right changes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

There are times when a deft tap to a player in the clear - rather than taking possession and taking the tackle is the best option.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:41 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

AGRO wrote:
There are times when a deft tap to a player in the clear - rather than taking possession and taking the tackle is the best option.

And there are times when taking the tackle and holding play up is the better option. LOB has been faced with those options twice in the dying stages of a match. Last Thursday night and round 22 against Melbourne. He chose the wrong option both times.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:17 pm 
Robert Walls

AGRO wrote:

Could not agree more!!!

Same applies when you're out in space and you have someone who is going to tackle you the moment you pick the ball up. Handball into space, tap it, soccer off ground etc. Its called COMMON SENSE

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:26 pm 
Robert Walls

Blue Vain wrote:
Well done to O'Brien for taking a bounce and running the ball. It's something we need more of. Credit to the Richmond player who put in a 100% chase and pressured him to kick the ball. A lot of our players could learn a lot from that. Too many of our chases are piss weak half arsed efforts.
My criticism of LOB would be more around his effort in the last 10 seconds. Acres inexcusably dropped the mark but when LOB won the spilled ball he braced for contact as usual instead of trying to get it out. They're the parts of Lachies game that will continually let him down. He fears contact. Someone like Matt Kennedy would have taken the knock and looked to get the ball out to a team mate.

All isn't lost. I thought we'd lose with so many underdone players so the 2 points are a bonus against a good side IMHO. I'd back us to win Thursday night if we make the right changes.

Any change that does not involve the omission of (ONE OF) Owies/Fisher/Martin and and the promotion of Dow sends the wrong message

OUT: Owies, Cowan,
IN: Dow, LOB, Pitto

Martin or Fisher sub

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next