Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: AFLW 2022 Part 2
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:25 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

snakehips wrote:
It was certainly very difficult viewing last night, particularly given we went into the game with little chance of being competitive, let alone winning. Probably the most injury riddled, weak team we've ever fielded. Factor in the greasy, slippery conditions on top of our already low-skill base and it was a very disheartening night and one we'd quickly wish to forget.

Sadly, we'll be sitting in the bottom six with the expansion sides this season unlikely to win more than a few games. The decimation of our already struggling list during the most recent off-season, followed by the onset of what seems to be a club-wide injury curse, has essentially resigned us to being another expansion team requiring a rebuild from close to scratch. I'm no expert, but we just seem to have too many slow and/or lumbering players in our list make-up which must have been by design/choice, surely it can't all just be bad luck. Perhaps before the next draft comes around it'll be time for those in charge of shaping and developing our list to hand back the keys and give someone else a go.

The AFLW team has gone backwards in a huge way.

The exodus of players over the last 2-3 years to expansion clubs tells me something aint right at the so called "close knit club", and I dont believe its because the visiting women's toilets are a mess.

I can recall the Cats 2 years ago were pathetic. Last year, they were struggling. Now I read this

Quote:
IN 2021, Geelong hit a low point, losing all but its final game against the winless Gold Coast and ultimately saying goodbye to head coach Paul Hood.

Last season there were clear signs of improvement, but that didn't quite translate to the win-loss ledger, only able to register two wins from 10 starts. This time around, the Cats are a genuine force to be reckoned with, and that all comes down to the improved connection between lines that has been building this year.

Typically, as teams work themselves back from disappointing seasons like the Cats had in 2021, they do so in layers. Work on the fundamentals, stem the flow of opposition scoring and then the last key piece of the puzzle is their own ability to score. This is exactly how Geelong has come back from the brink to now challenge for its second finals series.

https://www.womens.afl/news/107914?_ga=2.202062161.1975445017.1664854447-1199403056.1636283393

I am so disappointed in our year, thus far, once again.

My family supported the team in its first 4 years, but were really hard to watch last year, and have given up watching after the first 3 games this year; its awful, let alone disheartening our list is so thin and weak, and the results reflect that too.

WTF is going on Mr Harford? I mean, seriously, why are we going backwards?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:49 am 
Craig Bradley

https://twitter.com/theage/status/1577788487356583937

What's the bet this doesn't get the same level of outrage as other similar events...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:09 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Hornet wrote:
https://twitter.com/theage/status/1577788487356583937

What's the bet this doesn't get the same level of outrage as other similar events...

To be fair she might just be against it due to Andrew Thorburn's role in instituting Pride round in the first place....

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 4c3123a636

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:28 pm 
Ken Hunter

Well done.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:22 am 
Bert Deacon

It was a significantly improved performance last night compared against the previous fortnight. The defensive side to our game, that has been largely non-existent this season, was top notch. The tackling and pressure, not giving saints much time or space, was the best I've seen this season. Moody was in beast-mode and dominated, Vescio (at half-back) was fantastic, Hill, McKay and Peterson were all very good. McEvoy played probably the best game I've seen her play and there were nice cameos from Vickers and Skepper. However, it does beg the question, where the hell has that sort of performance been for the previous six weeks? Perhaps there was an old fashioned "crisis" meeting in the House-of-Mirrors during the week? Whichever way you look at it there was a marked change in attitude last night, long may it continue.

Post subject: AFLW 2022 Part 2
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:52 am 
Bruce Doull

Good performance last night. McKay was outstanding with some very quick hands. Happy to see some linking of possessions too.

St Kilda were trash until the last when they stopped being careful and timid with their ball movement.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:40 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

snakehips wrote:
It was a significantly improved performance last night compared against the previous fortnight. The defensive side to our game, that has been largely non-existent this season, was top notch. The tackling and pressure, not giving saints much time or space, was the best I've seen this season. Moody was in beast-mode and dominated, Vescio (at half-back) was fantastic, Hill, McKay and Peterson were all very good. McEvoy played probably the best game I've seen her play and there were nice cameos from Vickers and Skepper. However, it does beg the question, where the hell has that sort of performance been for the previous six weeks? Perhaps there was an old fashioned "crisis" meeting in the House-of-Mirrors during the week? Whichever way you look at it there was a marked change in attitude last night, long may it continue.

I admit, I watched the game with friends over.

Game plan was brand new. Full on pace and ball movement. Prefer that to whatever you call it in previous games: timid footy.
The girls can build on that.

Given the 'hinting' mood the girls were in they were better off to kick dirty ball forward than kicking it straight to the opposition who were in wait for the obvious bomb forward.

About time Vesio was taken out of the forwardline....and everything you saw snakehips was spot on.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:14 pm 
Ken Hunter

Oh well.

Mentioned to someone before the game they would be unlikely to kick a score higher than my highest snooker break, which still stands at 34.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:37 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I watched the first 10 minutes. 3.2 to 0.0? Carlton 10 inside 50's before Richmond got it past centre.
It looked like a 20 goal mauling.
Then? WTF? It's great to wear the Pride jumper but where's the actual pride in the jumper. They're playing against he Hosking twins and particularly Grace Egan. They should have fought tooth and nail to win this game.
It's a social club by all definitions.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:41 am 
Bert Deacon

They looked like world-beaters for the first 15 minutes, 4 goals to zip, dominating centre-clearances and general play - it barely went into the Tiggers' half, let alone their F50. Then normal service resumed, skill errors and poor decision making took over and it was hard to see how we'd kick another goal. Solid performances from Peterson, Hill and McKay but very few contributors beyond them, though Ortlepp showed a little more than I thought she had in her. Conti, Wakefield and McKenzie made us look very ordinary. Another disappointing performance given such a fantastic start.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:20 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Frustrating to watch that 2nd half after that brilliant start.

Same thing happened against Effendope.

They just go into their shell, play safe, and ... not much happens on the scoreboard.

What is the problem?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:45 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Falling apart in 2nd half again

Still rubbish to watch

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:22 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Didn’t we extend Hartford for another 2 years, about 3 months ago.

:lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:59 pm 
Ken Hunter

Oh well.

Glad I didn't drive down for that one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:05 pm 
Ken Hunter

AGRO wrote:
Didn’t we extend Hartford for another 2 years, about 3 months ago.

:lol:

Any relation to Gartlett?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 10:34 am 
Rod Ashman

Channel surfing last night and noticed a few mcgoverns in the aflw, some can do with a good preseason or two.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:49 am 
formerly Fevola

To me it reflects that we still dont value the womens team too much. Given we signed Harford to 2 years and under him we have had players leave, and have gone backwards.

If we keep him for next season, my thoughts are sealed.

When i see him with the girls i cringe. Its like a big giant party, and there doesnt appear to be any professionalism. He takes it all as a joke in my opinion.

The sooner we get rid of him and get some professionalism in the team the better.

Serena Gibbs was really good a few years ago and is not in the team. I mean Darcy Vescio in the backline? Far out !!

I used to love watching this team in the first few years and now i cant bear to watch them. They are horrible. Other teams are good to watch, but Carlton are horrible.

I get we are young but, na something stinks at the club at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:54 pm 
Ken Hunter

Oh well.

See you next year.

Reckon there might have been a Bulldog's supporter manning the time clock.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 10:03 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Dodgy free was the difference in the end unfortunately...

Poor season, but we generally played better than I expected, mostly because Moody, Hill, McKay and Mua played out of their skins. Peterson was pretty good too...

Not sure about moving our defence forward and forwards back, but it bore fruit on occasions...

We have far too many with poor skills resulting in turnovers (as well as giving away too many scores with dumb kicks across defence or into the corridor... often with a poor kick as well... See previous comment!)

A lot of young players that I hope come on.. But really need to improve skills... The top 8 teams seem to have almost every player with clean hands and kicks... We seem to have about 6

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:54 am 
Bert Deacon

Hard to argue with any of that billc3. For big chunks of the game it looked as though we'd hold on for an unlikely victory, but it wasn't to be. Aside from the usual suspects you mentioned, I thought Vescio was pretty good across half back (particularly early on) and Brook Walker probably played her best game in a short-lived season. Walker's speed got us out of trouble on several occasions. Plenty of work to be done between now and the 2023 season. I suspect any improvement will have to be largely organic, given what threatens to be a thin draft and the fact we haven't got a heap of trade collateral (without dipping into our 5-6 top-liners). Fingers crossed for a better 2023 season.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next