Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:56 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I too started looking to forums to follow what was going down with black Friday but was more of a lurker early days. I found my place at CSC where I used to post under Adsky. I had an account for TBV but can't remember what my user name was. Might have been The_Cranium there too. I was infrequent at TBV, but just happened to visit when the shit went down. I can't remember where I caught wind of TC but I got onto it fairly early, and slowly but surely moved away from CSC and found this to be my new fan forum home.

I've never knowingly met anyone IRL from forum land

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:59 pm 
Rod Ashman

I was on TBV....then transferred over here.

Remember the goddard and Wells stuff and Nick Stevens! Always looking to see if he would get through to us.

One thing I remember is the Dial-up sound !! Oh and the telephone cable running through the house from the lounge to my "study"

Those were the days. And then someone would pick up the phone and you would be cut off and hear the yell of "SORRY" from the kitchen....and they probably weren't.....and then you would dial up again.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:00 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Great stuff BiB….

79 posts in 11 years means a lot brother…!

you’re not about the “yap yap”…nice…!

It’s great having somewhere for us all to
meet hey…we’re the many seals gathering on
the rocky outpost that is…the Carlton Football
Club…!

good to see ya BiB…!

kindest regards tommi

Tommi, have always loved and admired your idiosyncratic take on things......pauses for thought!!!

I did have a previous incarnation on TC as PD'sPC (Peter Dean's plaster cast)- but 79 posts in 11 years?!! That's Geoff Boycott like- is there any Ian Bothams willing to run me out?!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:04 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

muzza wrote:
Remember the goddard and Wells stuff and Nick Stevens!

Awwwwwwwwwwww Stevens!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:05 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

The smacking thread. Was that TBV or TC? Pretty sure it was here. That was a good thread. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:17 am 
Robert Walls

I can't really remember the details, but I was on BigFooty, then found out about TBV... I definitely posted over there and remember being pretty defiant in the wake of the AFL penalties, being certain that we'd bounce back straight away. Obviously things didn't quite turn out like that...
I might have lurked on CSC... And I assume I just came over here when everyone else did. My join date is Fri May 06, 2005 @ 2:40 pm, so whatever was happening that day, I signed up. And I've barely posted anything worth reading since.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:45 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bluechampion wrote:
My join date is Fri May 06, 2005 @ 2:40 pm, so whatever was happening that day, I signed up.

Well, it was a Friday.

So obviously it was MASSIVE

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:20 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Joined in April 2006 after frequenting CSC. I recall GWS on there and a guy named Brettie.

I reckon my opening post was anti ABC and was shocked that not many people agreed with me. This place has taught me a lot about opinions, views on politics etc, and I like to think that I've matured over the years. Why stress about about things we can't control, sit down, strap yourself in and just enjoy the ride of life.

I recall many chats with KK and Mandy, now I just wonder why I was so argumentative. If I didn't change I'd be approaching Warby status by now.

This place has seen me through some dark times and I reckon I was heading that way lately. I'm glad it's the off sesaon, I think we picked up too many negative types lately, we are heading in the right direction as a club and should all enjoy the next couple of seasons.

I always enjoy reading what CK, GWS, Dannyboy, Tommi, BH and many others have to say. Don't go changin'.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:17 pm 
Ken Hunter

I remember when I had things to say...well memories actually...now I got....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:35 pm 
Ken Hunter

I miss the old coherent Dannyboy. About as much as I miss the old, vaguely coherent Cazzesman. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:04 pm 
Robert Walls

What a great thread, CK95!

I’ll even come out if TC retirement to reply.

Given I live in Brisbane, I was equally mystified by the whole TBV and TC thing. I just didn’t get it, and still don’t.

I remember TBV being a source of hope during bad days for the club. Rumours from Synbad and Doc Sherrin… I would hang out for those. We had that trade period with Harford and Bannister (I think it was the same trade period), and I felt stoked. Like, we were really heading places! Sadly, I was wrong.

Probably about 2006 I went to Melbourne for work and managed to meet Molsey and Jarusa. After that, I got to help out with Mike and Dan interviews. I talked to Bret Thornton and Andrew Walker. Walker had to leave halfway through my call, he said he’d ring back, he never did. Shock, horror!

Bondi says I started the Blueseum. He’s being kind. I’ll be honest that I didn’t have much to do with it, though my vague recollection would suggest Jarusa invited me to contribute. Molsey and I put forward to the club a proposal of a database of Carlton fans (not just members). They said they were keen. Nothing happened.

I remember catching up with Verbs. We watched the Matthew Kreuzer cup. I barracked for a Melbourne win rather enthusiastically. Verbs wanted to. But he couldn’t quite manage it. Maybe a truer Carlton man than myself?

At one stage I was invited (out of the blue) to be a moderator. I couldn’t have imagined anything worse. Whichever mod invited me said that I would make a lot of people disappointed. I suspect I’d have made a lot more people disappointed if I’d done it… I never would have had the right skills.

My main reason for being on the site was genuinely trade rumours and the inside word on the club. As more of the insider voices left, the place became less appealing. The tipping point for me was the Trump years, where I would click on active topics and the discussion was about politics more than football. I felt that if I wanted a political discussion I’d have joined a politics board.

I left TC in maybe about 2017 for Big Footy because I could largely avoid the politics, and there would be trade gossip. That said, a lot of their insiders are gone too. I’ve never been passionate about Big Footy. I can really take or leave their moderators (one in particular), and it fluctuates so wildly between optimism and pessimism that it feels like it has two personalities. The posters there occasionally get stuck into the colours of the TC site. I’ve always much preferred the colours here, and don’t know what they’re all on about.

Of course, posting is as much about your life as anything else (in my opinion). I could post a lot more in 2006 as a single man with no kids. In 2022, with a wife and three kids and one child (in particular) who needs plenty of support, it is hard to get so passionate about Carlton message boards. These days I send the occasional email to Doc Sherrin so I can keep in touch with him, but that’s about it. I haven’t logged in here for what feels like 6-12 months. It was nice to see this thread.

Go Blues!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:19 am 
Bruce Doull

Good to hear from you Molly. :beer:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:53 am 
Bruce Doull

Oh, the TBV to TC history goes a little something like this, my memory and recollections only, obviously, and they’ve possibly faded a little with the passing of time…

Dom, who was the owner of TBV, saw potential to make TBV more than a message board, and to be fair he was perhaps ahead of his time in that regard. TBV was definitely the most prolific of the Carlton boards at that point. I can’t speak of the CSC split or history, but TBV was THE Carlton forum of the day and was instrumental in getting the support and mobilising of members to hold the EGM that saw Elliott given the arse after the salary cap cheating.

Anyway, Dom had bigger ideas for TBV and was thinking of adding news sections, interviews with players, articles and the like so the message boards would form one part of a larger, broader TBV website. That side of it was all pretty standard stuff, especially by where we are today in the land of Web 2.0.

There were quite a lot of people who just wanted TBV to remain as it was. If Dom wanted to do those other things, fine, but leave TBV as a simple message board and start a new site for all the other stuff. Of course TBV had the name so it was easy to understand why Dom wanted to expand TBV’s offering. At least, that’s my memory of the general view on his proposed changes.

Where things got sticky for Dom was when he said he wanted to have advertising on the site and he was questioned as to what would happen with the money generated from any advertising.

As I recall, Synbad, in particular, pressed Dom for answers, tagging him as MoneyBaggers (his username was GoBaggers). Dom didn’t handle that line of questioning very well at all and Synbad’s theory was Dom wanted to monetise the site for solely his own benefit (ie. no money would be shared with the moderating team, or the club or put towards sponsorships etc).

That’s kinda how capitalism works I guess, but Synbad’s position was TBV was a community and not Dom’s business plaything and the community should have a say in the direction of the site if it were to change.

This to and fro went on for a few weeks, maybe months. And more and more Dom was getting fed up with people not patting him on the back and applauding his vision (I never got to meet him in person, and I think he was an okay guy, but his ego was easily bruised).

I was on the TBV mod team, along with Mrs Caz and a few others who made it across to TC (apologies my memory is failing me). Behind the scenes in our mod forums things weren’t much clearer and we were trying to get Dom to better explain his ideas and to especially be more open about what he would do with the money. I mean if he wanted to make cash for himself, just say that and let people decide if they were up for that, but he just kept dodging the question as I recall.

And, then, finally, he just cracked the shits, booted me out as a mod without notice, and other mods as well I think, before, finally just flicking the switch and shutting down the site shortly after with nothing left visible except a long post telling everyone to GAGF. And that was that, mostly.

In the immediate aftermath of Dom’s meltdown a few makeshift message boards were setup on somewhat unstable free sites; and Wolfister established one which he called TalkingCarlton (a play on the Talking Footy TV show). A few of us banded together following an offer from Jarusa to host a board and then me, Bluechucky and Jars set about building TC along with input from other TBV regulars. Within a few days, it might have even been over one weekend, we had TC up and running as pretty much a copy of TBV… we made no bones about that, my view (which I think was shared by the others) was that people wanted a message board, no more, no less, and that’s all TC was intended to be.

I think Dom might have been a bit surprised by how quickly we were able to react and essentially replace TBV. He did join TC with an alter ego, but it was pretty easy to work that out and he didn’t last very long. After a few weeks, or maybe months, he reopened TBV but the damage was done and the traffic there was not even a shadow of the site in its best years. It was kept live for another couple of years I think and kind of just withered away. It was definitely a shame how it all ended.

So there’s a summary of the TBV to TC days from my side. Happy for anyone to add, disagree, or share their memories.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:26 am 
Bruce Doull

camel wrote:
In the immediate aftermath of Dom’s meltdown a few makeshift message boards were setup on somewhat unstable free sites; and Wolfister established one which he called TalkingCarlton (a play on the Talking Footy TV show). A few of us banded together following an offer from Jarusa to host a board and then me, Bluechucky and Jars set about building TC along with input from other TBV regulars. Within a few days, it might have even been over one weekend, we had TC up and running as pretty much a copy of TBV… we made no bones about that, my view (which I think was shared by the others) was that people wanted a message board, no more, no less, and that’s all TC was intended to be.

This all coincided with us doing well in the Wizard Cup & eventually winning it (against West Coast). There was a bunch of boozy Telstra Dome meet ups that preseason, in which many of us met for the first time.

Huge time in forum history

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:56 am 
Bruce Doull

BREN-DAN FEV-OLA…

BREN-DAN FEV-OLA……..and so on…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:33 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Much how I remember things Camel. I'd forgotten about the MoneyBaggers bit though. TBV was a .org site and that was causing a bit of concern. I think Synbad referenced that in his signature in a way that .org sites aren't money making vehicles. It was a crazy episode for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:42 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Molly wrote:
What a great thread, CK95!

I’ll even come out if TC retirement to reply.

Given I live in Brisbane, I was equally mystified by the whole TBV and TC thing. I just didn’t get it, and still don’t.

I remember TBV being a source of hope during bad days for the club. Rumours from Synbad and Doc Sherrin… I would hang out for those. We had that trade period with Harford and Bannister (I think it was the same trade period), and I felt stoked. Like, we were really heading places! Sadly, I was wrong.

Probably about 2006 I went to Melbourne for work and managed to meet Molsey and Jarusa. After that, I got to help out with Mike and Dan interviews. I talked to Bret Thornton and Andrew Walker. Walker had to leave halfway through my call, he said he’d ring back, he never did. Shock, horror!

Bondi says I started the Blueseum. He’s being kind. I’ll be honest that I didn’t have much to do with it, though my vague recollection would suggest Jarusa invited me to contribute. Molsey and I put forward to the club a proposal of a database of Carlton fans (not just members). They said they were keen. Nothing happened.

I remember catching up with Verbs. We watched the Matthew Kreuzer cup. I barracked for a Melbourne win rather enthusiastically. Verbs wanted to. But he couldn’t quite manage it. Maybe a truer Carlton man than myself?

At one stage I was invited (out of the blue) to be a moderator. I couldn’t have imagined anything worse. Whichever mod invited me said that I would make a lot of people disappointed. I suspect I’d have made a lot more people disappointed if I’d done it… I never would have had the right skills.

My main reason for being on the site was genuinely trade rumours and the inside word on the club. As more of the insider voices left, the place became less appealing. The tipping point for me was the Trump years, where I would click on active topics and the discussion was about politics more than football. I felt that if I wanted a political discussion I’d have joined a politics board.

I left TC in maybe about 2017 for Big Footy because I could largely avoid the politics, and there would be trade gossip. That said, a lot of their insiders are gone too. I’ve never been passionate about Big Footy. I can really take or leave their moderators (one in particular), and it fluctuates so wildly between optimism and pessimism that it feels like it has two personalities. The posters there occasionally get stuck into the colours of the TC site. I’ve always much preferred the colours here, and don’t know what they’re all on about.

Of course, posting is as much about your life as anything else (in my opinion). I could post a lot more in 2006 as a single man with no kids. In 2022, with a wife and three kids and one child (in particular) who needs plenty of support, it is hard to get so passionate about Carlton message boards. These days I send the occasional email to Doc Sherrin so I can keep in touch with him, but that’s about it. I haven’t logged in here for what feels like 6-12 months. It was nice to see this thread.

Go Blues!

Molly, FYI, your love for Carlton, and commitment to do whatever you could to bring the club bank to its former glory was inspirational for me. You did what you could. I'm glad youre enjoying it up in QLD and congrats on the 3 offspring...it was only yesterday we were all childless and acted like children :wink: cheers :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:56 pm 
Bruce Doull

Nice to see you Molly

I recall I was in an email group with you Jars & Molesy in the Mike & Dan era

Hope you're well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:45 pm 
Ken Hunter

I seem to recall an entertaining TBV vs (other team) played at the Hawthorn Ground. A couple of Hardnut TC posters bowled a few over, much to the delight of the crowd. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Camel. The specter of Politics started early here on TBV/TC. :yikes: :yikes:

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:56 pm 
formerly Yazzamatazz

That was TBV v Bomber Blitz if I remember correctly.

Just after getting Judd across and remember yelling out JUUUUDDDYY after kicking my 3rd goal midway through the 1st qtr.

We got off to a great start but ultimately lost by a kick I think.

Great memories.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next