Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:48 am 
Geoff Southby

bluehammer wrote:
Has anyone got any good Braddles, SOS or Simmo stories?

I want to have my mind changed....

Well , i met SOS's dad Sergio a few times and the guy was so great . Very affable and happy go lucky if anything . I have heard different from others but with me Sergio was A 1 .

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:01 am 
Bruce Doull

Mickstar wrote:
Well , i met SOS's dad Sergio a few times and the guy was so great .

So, you met S?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:04 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Mickstar wrote:
bluehammer wrote:
Has anyone got any good Braddles, SOS or Simmo stories?

I want to have my mind changed....

Well , i met SOS's dad Sergio a few times and the guy was so great . Very affable and happy go lucky if anything . I have heard different from others but with me Sergio was A 1 .

I actually bumped into Braddles about 8 years ago at South Melbourne. Had a brief chat to him. Told him he looked in good nick and like he could still play.
He responded with "do you reckon I could get a kick?" to which I replied you actually can kick so you have 99% of our list covered. He laughed at that.
Seemed like a decent guy to me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:04 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

From the Liam Stocker thread

Post from Mickstar

Mickstar wrote:
Funny thing that about meeting your heroes . For me , always has been , always will be is the almighty John " Big Nick " Nicholls . Our greatest ever . This aint a child hood story but an adult one . About twenty years ago i just happened to be in a far flung TAB and you guessed it , " Big Nick " walked in and like a bubbling child i raced over to ask for his autograph . He obliged but wasn't very friendly . It was like all the wind was out of me , i was deflated . Talk about being disappointed . Told this story to a few of my Carlton cronies and they all roared with laughter . They said they also have met Nick and he apart from a fearsome look has been quite friendly and obliging . They laughed and said , Mick , you spoke to the bloke at his workbench " The TAB " . The story goes you never , ever , speak to " Big Nick " at his workbench . Anyhow i met Nick a few years later at a social occasion and he was great , almost jolly , like a completely different person unlike my TAB experience when thinking about it he was more like a trance like state .

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:09 pm 
Bruce Doull

rhino27 wrote:
Unfortunately agree re SOS. Massive dick.

Might explain the arrogance

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:14 pm 
Bruce Doull

Son of Sausage…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:

Post from Mickstar

Mickstar wrote:
Funny thing that about meeting your heroes . For me , always has been , always will be is the almighty John " Big Nick " Nicholls . Our greatest ever . This aint a child hood story but an adult one . About twenty years ago i just happened to be in a far flung TAB and you guessed it , " Big Nick " walked in and like a bubbling child i raced over to ask for his autograph . He obliged but wasn't very friendly . It was like all the wind was out of me , i was deflated . Talk about being disappointed . Told this story to a few of my Carlton cronies and they all roared with laughter . They said they also have met Nick and he apart from a fearsome look has been quite friendly and obliging . They laughed and said , Mick , you spoke to the bloke at his workbench " The TAB " . The story goes you never , ever , speak to " Big Nick " at his workbench . Anyhow i met Nick a few years later at a social occasion and he was great , almost jolly , like a completely different person unlike my TAB experience when thinking about it he was more like a trance like state .

Back in the early 70’s my dad had a restaurant in Russell Street in the city - a few doors down was an illegal SP bookie that Big Nick (and his brother Don) used to frequent - they used to come in for a meal at Dad’s place as well, one evening I was there and I went up and got an autograph - I think it cost my dad $10 that Big Nick borrowed (that went straight to the SP Bookie) don’t think dad ever saw it again.

:wink: :lol:

Winston Churchill

Last edited by AGRO on Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:17 pm 
Bruce Doull

Good offseason thread BH

1993 I approached SOS in the social club to sign a footy jumper I'd bought for a mate's 21st. Pretty aloof & unfriendly, although admittedly I'd interrupted him & Diesel having a post training milkshake.

1995 Dallas Brooks Hall function for Sticks' 200th, after the Collingwood game in rd 1. I got really drunk & most likely made a tool of myself going up to the players & saying hello, but recall Sticks, Mil, & Jack Elliot being great.

Just this year took my son to Charlie's clinic & all the players were good, Lachie Plowman probably the best & most talkative with the kids. Ed Curnow was strangely aloof to me when I tried having a chat, but I was kind of interrupting him taking kids through handball drills, so fair enough I guess.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:54 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:

Post from Mickstar

Mickstar wrote:

Thanks Bondi . No idea what i did but it was supposed to be here in the first . Not real computer savvy myself , in fact a complete techno loser . Thanks Champ .

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:06 pm 
Ken Hunter

What's up with Simmo being a flog? 99% of people I know who've met him say the same.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:06 pm 
Harry Vallence

My only real interaction with the players was at the 2019 B&F night.

Mitch McGovern by far the most approachable, stopped to have a conversation multiple times - he wouldn't disclose what happened at the Crows when I asked him but, lol. Daisy Thomas was great value too.

Jim Buckley came up to me and introduced himself "Hi, Jimmy Buckley" which was hilarious.

Our former captain who selfishly got to 300 games was a deadset flog, he didn't even get up from this table once all night to interact with the fans, and told my mate to piss off when he approached him for a photo.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:22 pm 
Ken Hunter

I had a huge crush on Ken Hunter.
It would have been in the early 80's I went to Sydney with a friend to see us play the Swans. I was in my early 20's.
At the airport in Sydney after the game the team arrived, they were on a later plane.
We got talking to a few of them, they were in a good mood as we won by less than a goal.
I got to meet Hunter and he asked us what we were doing when we got back as the players were going to a party and invited us.
I for some reason said its ok we had to go to work the next day. What on earth was I thinking?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:28 pm 
Bruce Doull

No thanks….

i don’t drink coffee…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:48 pm 
Geoff Southby

CK95 wrote:
Good offseason thread BH

1993 I approached SOS in the social club to sign a footy jumper I'd bought for a mate's 21st. Pretty aloof & unfriendly, although admittedly I'd interrupted him & Diesel having a post training milkshake.

1995 Dallas Brooks Hall function for Sticks' 200th, after the Collingwood game in rd 1. I got really drunk & most likely made a tool of myself going up to the players & saying hello, but recall Sticks, Mil, & Jack Elliot being great.

Just this year took my son to Charlie's clinic & all the players were good, Lachie Plowman probably the best & most talkative with the kids. Ed Curnow was strangely aloof to me when I tried having a chat, but I was kind of interrupting him taking kids through handball drills, so fair enough I guess.

I remember that function in ‘95. I seem to recall Luke O’Sullivan, Hanna, Gleeson & Madden doing some sort of cone head skit or song involving KFC buckets as a ‘tribute’ to Sticks :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:26 pm 
Bruce Doull

Haha, yep vaguely remember that too. I think Sticks' mum had passed a week or so before & he was quite emotional when he did his speech.

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:48 pm 
Robert Walls

This is my son's story not mine.

He's now 21 and as die hard blues as anyone, the problem is we don't go to many games as we live in Perth.

Way back when, I think it must have 2006, I was trying as hard as I could to keep him in Navy Blue given how successful the Eagles were at the time. Anyway in round 1 of that season Josh Kennedy played his first game for us against richmond and towards the end of the game took a big pack mark in the goal square, my son looked at me and said that's my favourite player. Number 5 goes on the back of his new birthday present jumper. Fast forward a few weeks and , the blues were playing in Perth and held a family day at Langley Park on the river. We rock on down there and there is JK standing off to the side with a few people. we wander over and between my son and I we explain that he's just got this new jumper with JK's number on the back and asked if he could please sign it. It turns out the people JK was standing with were his Mum and some other family members who were more excited than we were that someone had his number on a jumper and proceeded to take photos of JK signing it and of him and my son. Without a doubt this cemented the Navy Blue in my son's veins and we still have the jumper and some photos from that day somewhere. Watching JK in Eagles colours has been very bittersweet but I can't thank him enough for that day in 2006. :clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:39 pm 
Geoff Southby

My cousins went to training one day and showed me the photos they took with players. True story, lots of photos of kids (my cousins) posing for the photo with SOS walking out of the shot looking like he was smelling shit. Id say there were 4 or 5 photos like that. Even as a jackass teenager I could see something was up with the guy. Other blokes like Fraser Brown (and there were others i can't recall) had smiles bigger than Luna Park.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:59 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

kezza wrote:
I had a huge crush on Ken Hunter.
It would have been in the early 80's I went to Sydney with a friend to see us play the Swans. I was in my early 20's.
At the airport in Sydney after the game the team arrived, they were on a later plane.
We got talking to a few of them, they were in a good mood as we won by less than a goal.
I got to meet Hunter and he asked us what we were doing when we got back as the players were going to a party and invited us.
I for some reason said its ok we had to go to work the next day. What on earth was I thinking?

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:04 pm 
Geoff Southby

CK95 wrote:
rhino27 wrote:

Yes, I would be arrogant too.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:18 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

aboynamedsue wrote:
CK95 wrote:
rhino27 wrote:

Yes, I would be arrogant too.
It's definitely difficult to be humble, that's true. But we persevere...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next