Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:26 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Quote:
Here is the question for Carlton — did they know a draw was good enough to play finals and if they didn’t, why not?

Because if Corey Durdin knew a draw was enough, how did he ignore Harry McKay with a 10-metre gap on Darcy Moore with 72 seconds on the clock and the ball in his hands 65 metres from goal?

It was the easiest of kicks to hit up McKay, who could have called up on his left-foot snap to tie up scores.

Instead, he blasted the ball over his head where Jeremy Howe mopped up, given it was kicked to his advantage instead of Charlie Curnow in the square.

What a load of shit. Durdin made a poor decision. It had nothing to do with whether a draw was sufficient or not.
Garbage journalism from a @#$%&! garbage journo.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:26 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Quote:
3. Durability

Carlton chief executive Brian Cook admitted on Monday some of the club’s injury issues were bad luck, and some due to the more ballistic style of play they want to produce.

The Blues lost the fifth-most games to injury from their best 22, according to Champion Data.

They included Mitch McGovern (14), Zac Williams (13), Marc Pittonet (12), Jack Martin (nine), George Hewett (seven), Matt Kennedy (five), Matt Owies (five) and Jacob Weitering (four).

Certainly Sam Walsh’s back injury was a critical loss, which combined with Matt Kennedy’s lisfranc injury and George Hewett’s ongoing back troubles.

To lose three of the club’s five starting midfielders against Melbourne and still dominate in contested ball is an indictment and an opportunity.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/wreck-it-ralph-where-carlton-went-wrong-and-what-it-needs-to-be-a-genuine-contender/news-story/7f316b2e2cecb6a3c01aef8af519b66d

I think we were worse than the 5th most games to injury from their best 22. More like No. 1. WCE games lost were more related to covid.

Jones was our KPF. Is he included? :mad: If not, then Oscar was next up. Cuningham? Ralphy hasn't done his homework

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:53 pm 
Harry Vallence

jim wrote:
Those videos taken from behind the goals were horrendous the way we were set up before that last goal. While I didn't expect a complete defensive system to be developed in a week, at least put a couple back in the defensive 50 in the right spots. Being outnumbered 2 to 1 in that last situation was in excusable. Weitering was just standing there. As a leader he should have been trying to organise the defence. The leaders needed their ears to burn after the game. No lessens were learnt from the previous week.

Yep, much as we all rue our terrible forward entries and kicking for goal in that last quarter, this game (as was the previous game) was lost as much if not more in defence.

"We'll be so much better next year from this experience". Maybe, maybe not, could just as easily be the undoing of this outfit.

Like others I couldn't turn the telly off quick enough after the siren (same as last week) had remote in hand, siren goes, telly off. Poor wife had to put up with me stalking around the lounge room head in hands saying things like. "This ridiculous team, how can they keep doing this to us? Five minutes into the last quarter I knew we were gone". We live on a bush block, so I then disappeared outside into the scrub for some time.

Youngest grandson (10yo) went to the footy earlier in the year with his dad and actually saw them win for the first time. I bought him a beanie recently, he was that happy to receive it. He's back in the fold I thought, was planning on taking him to a finals game , so much for that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:46 pm 
Ken Hunter

I'd have been more confident if we were 24pts down at 3/4.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:26 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
Well, I'm still in a bit of a daze.
It was like watching a car crash over the past month or 6 weeks. I can handle losing to good sides and Collingwood are a reasonably good side and Melbourne are definitely good. As long as the players have a dip.
And I don't think anyone can doubt that about Sundays game. Some players made bad decisions and some poor skill execution but they all had a red hot crack. Same as the week before. We should have won both but it was moments that failed us, not desire and effort.

The killer for me was the Crows game. Not just that we lost but we lost by 5 goals. I said at the time that the percentage loss would come back to haunt us and it sadly did. They're the games good teams don't drop so we still have quite a way to go.

But I'll go with the positives and come out of my bunker in the near future. We lost to a team with more belief. I look at the Collingwood team and they had at least 5 players in their 30's. They had numerous players who have played finals footy and 9 players who have played in a grand final. Far more experience in life and finals football.
Our players have only known disappointment and failure. This should be our moment to put the past behind us and move into a period of success.
Our players have only known the feeling of not being good enough. Now they know they have the ability and resources to take on the very best. But they have to value every game and every moment. That is elite performance.
I suspect this will burn inside the players like it does us. And they will be far better prepared and far more resilient Round 1 next year. It's just going to be difficult to get this feeling out of our guts until next season comes around.

Good post BV.

As Voss said numerous times - we’re not the finished product yet. And, frankly, we didn’t deserve to make the finals in 2022.

But our list is young enough and talented enough for me not to get too worked up about it. Plus I’m mindful of how far back we’re coming from.

Obviously I’m disappointed that we didn’t make it…..but in a way I feel like our players (and supporters) have had the finals experience anyway. The last two weeks were finals level standard games. The atmosphere on Sunday was more of a finals experience than, say, playing Brisbane in an EF at the Gabba.

If we had made it through I honestly think we would have been making up the numbers. Yes, our best can match it with the top teams - but the reality is we’ve been playing catch up with our injuries all year and been trying desperately to hang on since May (we’ve only won 4 out of our last 12 games!).

The way things worked out might be for the best - as long as the players, coaches and fitness/medical staff learn from what happened (not just in the last fortnight, but all year) and are motivated by it. There’s lots of work still to be done!

The sting of not making the finals might give us more hunger for next year than, say, an honourable finals loss on the road to Fremantle or Brisbane.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:54 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

The thing that does my head in is that the game was as big as a "Final" can be, without the Cup.

It was an unbelievable game, for the history books.

88,000 Members and 88,000 at our home game at the MCG.
800,000 watching. Electric.

Except we lost...and we kick ourselves.

I have to continue to love what we are building here, because we are building.
The footy public know it can turn from results like Doggies 2016, Tigers 2017 ...Melb 2021

And those 2 consecutive great displays of football we just witnessed on Saturday is all the public remember, and talk about.

It may be bigger than the Grand Final: Imagine Fremantle vs Melbourne or Doggies and Freo win at the G. Our game will trump it.

Its all about Carlton in a good way, except for some of us Bluebaggers. 2023

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:10 pm 
Bruce Doull

Also….

the eight goal 1/4…could’ve been twelve…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:16 pm 
John James

daggs001 wrote:
Effes wrote:
dane wrote:
Effes wrote:
The problem is there are clubs who finished below us who you can easily argue will be better than Carlton next year.

The truth is you haven't got a second to lose.
Strongly disagree. Name one.

Gold Coast, GWS and PTA all have lists capable of playing finals. Even the cheats could improve significantly.

But so will we. Realistically even if we won tonight, we were not winning a flag this year.
We have so much upside its not funny. Look at how guys like Motlop took their chances tonight. His pressure and goals were super. He is a kid.
Lewis Young has been a revelation. He stood up again tonight. Just two examples of players with huge growth potential. TDK will come on again.
Charlie has a full season under his belt. We have young mids who will continue to get better.
With some clever recruitment to fill a few holes we can be a very strong team next year. Hopefully less injuries (a review of the high performance team essential).
I would be targeting a small or mid sized experienced forward during trade week. Some one like a Jack Gunston. Imagine if we had a wise head like him or a Jack Riewoldt type settling Charlie and young Corey Durdin down in the last. We need some experience in that forward line, someone who has been there before.
@#$%&! i was so heavily invested emotionally in the last fortnight but with a few hours to reflect, its not the end of the world. We lost finals like games. The intensity at the Gabba in two weeks wont be any higher than the last fortnight. We will learn and get better. I reckon that was a good taste of what is required for our boys to go away and think about in the pre season.

As much as I like Gunston, we could have a serious talk with Breust for this role.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:30 pm 
Harry Vallence

Fenwick Snap wrote:
daggs001 wrote:
Effes wrote:
dane wrote:
Effes wrote:
The problem is there are clubs who finished below us who you can easily argue will be better than Carlton next year.

The truth is you haven't got a second to lose.
Strongly disagree. Name one.

Gold Coast, GWS and PTA all have lists capable of playing finals. Even the cheats could improve significantly.

But so will we. Realistically even if we won tonight, we were not winning a flag this year.
We have so much upside its not funny. Look at how guys like Motlop took their chances tonight. His pressure and goals were super. He is a kid.
Lewis Young has been a revelation. He stood up again tonight. Just two examples of players with huge growth potential. TDK will come on again.
Charlie has a full season under his belt. We have young mids who will continue to get better.
With some clever recruitment to fill a few holes we can be a very strong team next year. Hopefully less injuries (a review of the high performance team essential).
I would be targeting a small or mid sized experienced forward during trade week. Some one like a Jack Gunston. Imagine if we had a wise head like him or a Jack Riewoldt type settling Charlie and young Corey Durdin down in the last. We need some experience in that forward line, someone who has been there before.
@#$%&! i was so heavily invested emotionally in the last fortnight but with a few hours to reflect, its not the end of the world. We lost finals like games. The intensity at the Gabba in two weeks wont be any higher than the last fortnight. We will learn and get better. I reckon that was a good taste of what is required for our boys to go away and think about in the pre season.

As much as I like Gunston, we could have a serious talk with Breust for this role.

His kind of smarts would be a nice to have in a forward line that was rudderless in that last quarter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:15 pm 
formerly King Kenny

Was the shepherd by Ginnivan blocking Saad from going for a mark? This may have been asked already.

No free.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:56 pm 
Ken Hunter

The Normal One wrote:
Was the shepherd by Ginnivan blocking Saad from going for a mark? This may have been asked already.

No free.

Has been asked (by bondi, I think).

Looked like it should have been a free...

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:17 pm 
Ken Hunter

Don’t start me on the bias decisions favouring one team all day.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:52 pm 
Ken Hunter

Quote:
Curnow kicked 64.42 for the year but also had 11 complete misses.

Harry McKay, who kicked 2.3 for the day, kicked 45.31 for the year, plus 11 total misses so was no better than a 50-50 shot at goal all year.

Oof. Probably shouldn't laugh at Max King.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:56 pm 
Ken Hunter

SurreyBlue wrote:
Don’t start me on the bias decisions favouring one team all day.

We got some iffy ones our way in the 3rd.

I've said this many times before so apologies for those who've tired of it, but games like Sunday convince me that umpires either subconsciously get swept along by a game's momentum or consciously try to assist in creating a narrative and/or an exciting contest. Neither is great but I'd prefer it was the former.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:07 pm 
Bruce Doull

They definitely get swept up in the occasion, imagine the tingles an umpire gets down their spine when they pluck a free kick out that reverses a shot at goal and the crowd roars.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:07 pm 
Ken Hunter

Well, I finished the replay last night and enjoyed it immensely. I braced hard! It's pretty wild to watch it free from the tension of the moment and realise that our dominance in general play was much the same ib the 4th as the 3rd,but the results so dramatically different.

Most gutting moment for me was not the Elliott goal but the McCreery one. I don't know much about this bloke's level, but he didn't catch my eye at any other time in the game and it felt like the kind of out-of-the-arse, kissed-on-the-dick moment that defined the match, like Melksham's 1-on-4 and lying-on-his-back marks the previous week. That was the one that told me we were going to lose.

Most infuriating moment was not the late brain fades, but Charlie's flying volley attempt in the 1st when he had ample time to catch the ball and run it in. Is he really that unaware/panicky? It looked more to me like he was going for style points to gee up the crowd. I hope I'm just being unfair.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:09 pm 
Bruce Doull

I just think Charlie plays 100% on instinct.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:01 pm 
Ken Hunter

GreatEx wrote:

Most gutting moment for me was not the Elliott goal but the McCreery one. I don't know much about this bloke's level, but he didn't catch my eye at any other time in the game and it felt like the kind of out-of-the-arse, kissed-on-the-dick moment that defined the match, like Melksham's 1-on-4 and lying-on-his-back marks the previous week. That was the one that told me we were going to lose.

100%

He won't kick a goal like that ever again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:25 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

missnaut wrote:
GreatEx wrote:

100%

He won't kick a goal like that ever again.

And he didn’t on Sunday either!

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:37 am 
John James

Traveller86 wrote:
20-11 inside 50s in the last quarter. 24 pts up three quarter time.

How did we lose???!!!

footy gods! how did doggies go from 18 points behind at 3/4 time to win by almost the exact minimum amount required to just tick last us on percentage. it was all written in the stars for reasons we will never know. hopefully we learn from it.

i’ve been saying all year our forward entry method is one dimensional. when the kick to a two on two comes off and we kick a goal we look a million bucks but mostly we are marking in positions on tight angles and forwards not getting separation on opponents often enough, even running to the pockets, meaning heaps of balls punched over the boundary. or run out of our defence.

that’s the reason you end up kicking 6 behinds in a quarter and is not icing the game in the last quarter. lack of method, lack of discipline, lack of footy IQ but also a lack of the gods on our side. Collingwood would have been just laughing their heads off after the game. they were out cold on the canvas and got up and went boo behind our back… and we fainted.

my body was physically sore for two days after the game and i only listened on the radio as i rode around princes park from the second quarter onwards willing them back i to the game. commiserations to those there. my mate was and he was in shock for a few days. couldn’t even begin to explain it and he played seniors and knows footy better than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 385 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next