Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:30 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

club29 wrote:
Saad could have collected Owies poor backpass and booted it 55m into the stand. 18 behind the ball. We win.

As simple as that.

Greg Chappel would have ordered Saad to do that.

I put the whole fiasco to having no quality onfield leadership.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:42 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Docherty and Setterfield had 7 of our 10 centre clearances. What odds would you have received on that prior to the game?

Agree - both moves where winners. Liked Setterfield's tag assignment as well. That was a big plus, time to keep evolving this option.
Hopefully if Cerra is fit, he can play wing with Walsh on the other and that might fix another couple of issues - as our wingman just don't get enough ball.
Stockers inclusion allowed Doc to be pushed into the midfield but we need Newman or Williams in to replace Newnes this week.

This always confuses me, it's almost like we want to have a problem with our wings.

Arguably the leagues best wingmen:
Ed Langdon: Disp. - 13, Disp. Efficiency - 46.2%, Cont. Poss - 5, Tackles - 0, Clearances - 1, Meters gained - 244, Defensive Pressure acts - 2 and 89% game time.
James Jordon: Disp. - 17, Disp. Efficiency - 64.7%, Cont. Pos - 4, Tackles - 3, Clearances - 1, Meters gained - 177, Defensive Pressure acts - 2 and 84% game time.

Ours:
LOB: Disp. - 12, Disp. Efficiency - 50%, Cont. Poss - 5, Tackles - 4, Clearances - 0, Meters gained - 173, Defensive Pressure acts - 4 and 74% game time.
Cotts: Disp. - 18, Disp. Efficiency - 66.7%, Cont. Poss - , Tackles - 2, Clearances - 2, Meters gained - 353, Defensive Pressure acts - 2 and 92% game time.

Not sure those stats support your point in full.

Cottrell tagged Langdon and got the better of him in that contest.

LOB ... played on the other wing on Jordon and I thought on the night Jordon won that contest but looking at your numbers Jordon played 10% more game time than LOB. That's strange given LOB's weapon is his running and endurance....

Jordon isn't always the Dees wing. They have options. Last years Premiers had Langdon and Angus Brayshaw; sometimes its Harmes, and a couple weeks ago it was Salem.

This year our No 1 choice for most of the year has been LOB. He's also been dropped from the team too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:58 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

diesel95 wrote:
Voss called it details in the final minutes. but it’s details all throughout the seasons. why was setters never given a run with in the middle before when it so obvious he plays better in the middle than on the wing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think all you have to do is watch Setterfield's games last year, then our round 1 team to work out that answer why he was on a wing in the first place, then look at Setterfield's form as a senior player, regardless of position to answer that question for yourself.

Setterfield did really well on the weekend. In a pack situation during the year, he just ball watched. Terriblly out of form.

Funny what happens when your career in on the line, demoted to the reserves after 3 very bad games in the seniors, averaging 15 disposals a game, and unlikely to be recalled the ones.

Then a last minute call he gets the call up to replace Cerra because the cupboard is bare in the reserves.

It was do or die for Setterfield. His spot on the list was looking very precarious before this last game.

He's a very lucky lucky boy to get a tagging job on the games best ball winner. Oliver took Setters to the footy0, but can he do it on his own?

Now he has to back it up. Don't put it on the coaches.

Who should he tag this week? or, should he be able to play a real inside mid role and find the ball himself?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:17 pm 
Ken Hunter

send him to tag Trealor
Stocker on Weightman
Cotters on Smith

surely then Hawthorn could win!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:18 pm 
Garry Crane

we lost ,now am worried because we all know wat happens after 1 huge effort ,team lets us DOWN following week. I hope not this time .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:22 pm 
Wayne Johnston

bondiblue wrote:
club29 wrote:
Saad could have collected Owies poor backpass and booted it 55m into the stand. 18 behind the ball. We win.

As simple as that.

Hawks won a flag rushing behinds from CHB.

... but yes would be a dodgy move that would have the AFL bringing in a new rule very quickly.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:28 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:
club29 wrote:

As simple as that.

Or turn around, sprint backwards and play keep away until he could find a clear player. Couldn't make out who was running back behind to meet him but they should have been screaming their guts out. Not the first time we've choked 4Q red time this year - where is the leadership or even the common sense to know how to chew up time?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:34 pm 
Robert Walls

I was out for dinner with a group on Saturday night, so I only got to watch the first half. I was trying not to be rude and so I didn't check the scores at all.

Chatting to a couple of guys there, they asked who I barracked for and after I told them, one said "well, they're 8pts up with less than 3min to go, they're home!".

I snuck off to the toilet and watched the final 2mins on my phone - just enough to see the Melksham mark and the inevitable crumble that followed. I guess I wasn't as invested in the game having not watched it all, so it hurt, but didn't kill my night. Reading the wash up yesterday was depressing though. :banghead:

I haven't watched the second half yet and judging by everyone's pain, I am not sure that I should. Should I save myself the pain? I want to understand what happened, but don't want to get depressed. :confused:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:20 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Similar story Mil.

I had a dinner party at my place and decided to just leave the game until afterwards. Couldn’t help myself and checked at some point in the second half and it was close. Considering I didn’t give us much hope I was pretty happy and then got distracted and didn’t see the result until about 11pm.

Disappointed but considering the players available for each side I’m pretty sanguine at this point. I certainly want us to go as far as we can this year but with the injuries we have we’re not going to go too far if we make finals and having the extra month to get everyone right for next year might be an advantage.

Risking someone like Williams for this week if he’s not 100% makes no sense to me.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:51 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Docherty and Setterfield had 7 of our 10 centre clearances. What odds would you have received on that prior to the game?

Agree - both moves where winners. Liked Setterfield's tag assignment as well. That was a big plus, time to keep evolving this option.
Hopefully if Cerra is fit, he can play wing with Walsh on the other and that might fix another couple of issues - as our wingman just don't get enough ball.
Stockers inclusion allowed Doc to be pushed into the midfield but we need Newman or Williams in to replace Newnes this week.

This always confuses me, it's almost like we want to have a problem with our wings.

Arguably the leagues best wingmen:
Ed Langdon: Disp. - 13, Disp. Efficiency - 46.2%, Cont. Poss - 5, Tackles - 0, Clearances - 1, Meters gained - 244, Defensive Pressure acts - 2 and 89% game time.
James Jordon: Disp. - 17, Disp. Efficiency - 64.7%, Cont. Pos - 4, Tackles - 3, Clearances - 1, Meters gained - 177, Defensive Pressure acts - 2 and 84% game time.

Ours:
LOB: Disp. - 12, Disp. Efficiency - 50%, Cont. Poss - 5, Tackles - 4, Clearances - 0, Meters gained - 173, Defensive Pressure acts - 4 and 74% game time.
Cotts: Disp. - 18, Disp. Efficiency - 66.7%, Cont. Poss - , Tackles - 2, Clearances - 2, Meters gained - 353, Defensive Pressure acts - 2 and 92% game time.

Not sure those stats support your point in full.

Cottrell tagged Langdon and got the better of him in that contest.

LOB ... played on the other wing on Jordon and I thought on the night Jordon won that contest but looking at your numbers Jordon played 10% more game time than LOB. That's strange given LOB's weapon is his running and endurance....

Jordon isn't always the Dees wing. They have options. Last years Premiers had Langdon and Angus Brayshaw; sometimes its Harmes, and a couple weeks ago it was Salem.

This year our No 1 choice for most of the year has been LOB. He's also been dropped from the team too.

Reading those stats it tells me Cottrell held down Langdon and Jordon held down LOB.
The point is that our wings match up pretty well stat wise with the best in the league in the same game.
They aren't as bad as everyone is making them out to be.
Plus the Dees wings have had better support from their midfield all year and we've had injuries.

As for game time, Fisher was named as starting wing so I'm guessing we are experimenting with rotations like the Dees are doing.

If we want to get critical about where we lost the game, I'd be looking at the obvious stats first:
Inside 50s - 58 to 48
Marks inside F50 - 11 to 7
Contested Marks - 22 to 12
Tackles inside 50 - 20 to 16
And of course the Free differential.

This tells me we are not getting the ball into the F50 enough, not hitting targets inside F50 (Martin missed 2 sitters to McKay and Charlie missed one to McKay also) and we are not locking the ball in the F50 as well as they did.
As I said pre game, the trick to winning was getting the ball in there and locking it in because we all knew the supply would be less.
Same goes for this weekend, especially with Collingwood being such a good rebounding to scoring team.

But ultimately we lost the game because the whole team faulted under the pressure in the final stages, it's a good lesson to learn about composure.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
diesel95 wrote:
Voss called it details in the final minutes. but it’s details all throughout the seasons. why was setters never given a run with in the middle before when it so obvious he plays better in the middle than on the wing?

I think all you have to do is watch Setterfield's games last year, then our round 1 team to work out that answer why he was on a wing in the first place, then look at Setterfield's form as a senior player, regardless of position to answer that question for yourself.

Setterfield did really well on the weekend. In a pack situation during the year, he just ball watched. Terriblly out of form.

Funny what happens when your career in on the line, demoted to the reserves after 3 very bad games in the seniors, averaging 15 disposals a game, and unlikely to be recalled the ones.

Then a last minute call he gets the call up to replace Cerra because the cupboard is bare in the reserves.

It was do or die for Setterfield. His spot on the list was looking very precarious before this last game.

He's a very lucky lucky boy to get a tagging job on the games best ball winner. Oliver took Setters to the footy0, but can he do it on his own?

Who should he tag this week? or, should he be able to play a real inside mid role and find the ball himself?

He'll be good.
Best way to teach a mid to get the ball is to tag the bloke in the middle that always gets the ball.
Same job this week I hope, it's what we have been missing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:34 pm 
John James

bondiblue wrote:
diesel95 wrote:

if they don’t want him in the middle maybe he tags sidebottom. lots of young players used to learn the fame by being told to follow an opponents best ball getter. nothing new or wrong with that. he’s been getting big stats in the VFL all year. i think it’s the pace of the game that has alluded him at AFL level so far.

like i’ve said before, get so neurological training apps and those lLED comes going for him as extras. speed him up. double short black expresso before each game.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:35 pm 
John James

jpulice1969 wrote:
we lost ,now am worried because we all know wat happens after 1 huge effort ,team lets us DOWN following week. I hope not this time .

nope this is not going to happen at all this week.

dunno if you noticed but Voss moved down to the players bench (ok it’s the fashion these days) during the second half of the Brisbane game and hasn’t left it. he knows he needs to be more connected with this team at this point in time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:36 pm 
John James

Scotty12000 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
club29 wrote:

As simple as that.

Or turn around, sprint backwards and play keep away until he could find a clear player. Couldn't make out who was running back behind to meet him but they should have been screaming their guts out. Not the first time we've choked 4Q red time this year - where is the leadership or even the common sense to know how to chew up time?

i’m sure we will be practicing final five scenarios every week for a year after this effort. Voss isn’t stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:37 pm 
John James

Mil Hanna wrote:
I was out for dinner with a group on Saturday night, so I only got to watch the first half. I was trying not to be rude and so I didn't check the scores at all.

Chatting to a couple of guys there, they asked who I barracked for and after I told them, one said "well, they're 8pts up with less than 3min to go, they're home!".

I snuck off to the toilet and watched the final 2mins on my phone - just enough to see the Melksham mark and the inevitable crumble that followed. I guess I wasn't as invested in the game having not watched it all, so it hurt, but didn't kill my night. Reading the wash up yesterday was depressing though. :banghead:

I haven't watched the second half yet and judging by everyone's pain, I am not sure that I should. Should I save myself the pain? I want to understand what happened, but don't want to get depressed. :confused:

never do that again! you have to hold your match night plans to the end.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:39 pm 
John James

GWS wrote:
Similar story Mil.
l

Risking someone like Williams for this week if he’s not 100% makes no sense to me.

in agreement. we can win with half the team out and we can lose against a middle ranked team with almost our full starting 22 on field.

it’s matchups and game plan, the week and so much of it is above the neck.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:03 pm 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
club29 wrote:

As simple as that.

This. How many players did we have out there that have played with anything on the line?

This is almost a reason in itself to bring Williams back this week

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:05 pm 
John James

bondiblue wrote:
club29 wrote:

As simple as that.

this is all nonsense. shit happens and we didn’t flood back to take the sting out. with more players back saad would have had options to run and carry then handball to a free player. it’s not saad’s fault.

footy gods decided we didn’t deserve it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:24 pm 
Geoff Southby

Good to see the press acknowledging what we all know.

Quote:
The Blues have one of the longest injury lists in the competition and were already without George Hewett (back), Matt Kennedy (foot), Nic Newman (knee), Jordan Boyd (foot), Ed Curnow (hamstring) and Josh Honey (calf), as well as Williams and Cerra, last week.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/823453/blues-consider-surprise-return-for-defender-ahead-of-pies-showdown

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:28 pm 
Robert Walls

diesel95 wrote:
Mil Hanna wrote:

never do that again! you have to hold your match night plans to the end.

I know, I am absolutely spewing that I did - but these guys were so convinced that the game was over I wanted to witness the moment of this great victory myself.... :cry:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next