Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:05 pm 
Robert Walls

Isn't it amazing what a couple of terrible losses does to our supporters!

We go from a great list on the rise, with a heap of depth and the potential to pull a 2016 Bulldogs and snatch a flag from nowhere, to perennial losers with a shit list that will be overtaken by Adelaide in no time etc. etc.....

It both scares and excites me is that Keogh is the one I agree with the most in this thread. :eek:

Just take a few deep breaths and think about it for a minute. We have gone from absolutely shizen for the past 10 years to sitting at 8-2, despite a mounting injury toll - the biggest we have had in memory. We thought we would get better as the season went on, but it appears that there is still plenty to work on as a playing and coaching group before it will all click and we have now fallen into a hole.

When we were playing with confidence, our bottom tier players were stepping up and playing a role - now we have hit a wall and these players have been badly exposed. No shame in that - at least we now know we can't rely on them to help us to No. 17, but it doesn't mean that every one of them is useless and has to be cut from the list ASAP.

Critically assess the list, cut the dead wood, draft and recruit for obvious needs, train our arses off and develop the younger players over the summer and we will come back bigger and better than the first half of this year. This year was fun whilst it lasted, but our luck has run out in the end. Next year with a more developed game plan and less injuries we have every reason to be optimistic.

Go Blues!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

Mil Hanna wrote:

We go from a great list on the rise, with a heap of depth and the potential to pull a 2016 Bulldogs and snatch a flag from nowhere, to perennial losers with a shit list that will be overtaken by Adelaide in no time etc. etc.....

It both scares and excites me is that Keogh is the one I agree with the most in this thread. :eek:

Just take a few deep breaths and think about it for a minute. We have gone from absolutely shizen for the past 10 years to sitting at 8-2, despite a mounting injury toll - the biggest we have had in memory. We thought we would get better as the season went on, but it appears that there is still plenty to work on as a playing and coaching group before it will all click and we have now fallen into a hole.

When we were playing with confidence, our bottom tier players were stepping up and playing a role - now we have hit a wall and these players have been badly exposed. No shame in that - at least we now know we can't rely on them to help us to No. 17, but it doesn't mean that every one of them is useless and has to be cut from the list ASAP.

Critically assess the list, cut the dead wood, draft and recruit for obvious needs, train our arses off and develop the younger players over the summer and we will come back bigger and better than the first half of this year. This year was fun whilst it lasted, but our luck has run out in the end. Next year with a more developed game plan and less injuries we have every reason to be optimistic.

Go Blues!

:clap:

Over the summer they will be more familiar with the plan, hopefully the top players will be more consistent and less injured.
The bottom players will have better leadership and support as a result, leading to more wins and confidence.
And Voss can trade/draft to fill holes in the list for the structure and brand he wants to play.

It's not all doom and gloom, we are an infinitely better team than last year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:46 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Riley Beveridge
@RileyBev
·
57s
Patrick Cripps offered a two-match suspension by the MRO. Will rule him out for the rest of the H&A season.
@AFLcomau

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:08 pm 
Ken Hunter

Good posts, Mil Hanna. That Saad comment brought to mind babies and bath water.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:24 pm 
Geoff Southby

Mil Hanna wrote:

Go Blues!

I agree with most of what you say.
Clearly we have relayed too much on our big bodied mids
More than I expected
With Cripps out as well Voss has nothing to lose and must experiment
I would like to see Saad put into the middle
We desperately need pace around the contest
He is wasted in defence
I have always thought Owies is worth a bet in there
He is aggressive

The concern for me going forward is the deadwood on our list
Particularly so guys on big pay packets
Martin is overrated and a liability injury wise
He has 2 years to go
Does not present enough
Setterfield has been very ordinary
McGovern is so one dimensional
Some of his efforts were abysmal yesterday
And you can’t have that if you want to be a contender
And what do you do with Williams with 4 years ago
Collingwood and Geelong have shown how important recruiting is with rookie picks, late picks and the preseason draft

We don’t have a third round pick this draft because of the Cerra deal
Cerra is a fourth grade mid
Good player but no worth pick 6 and a future third rounder
These long term contracts can be a noose around your neck
Carroll
Kemp
Are the best of the reserve bunch
Cuningham has talent but before the injury had under achieved
Philip likewise
To me there are two things that stand out
We always seem to lack depth
We pick too many “ Hollywood type” players
They look good but don’t want it enough and we are too swayed by the fact they were early picks in the draft as juniors
Stephen Wells recruited Enright and was most impressed by his competitive nature
It took him a while for his career to take off but when it did the rest was history
To me we still have too many players who are too nice and are happy if there just out there
Fisher has been impressive but his last / weeks have been shit
With Hewett and Kennedy out there are no excuses with his experience
He should be stepping up
The same old problems have come back to haunt us
It is up to Austin to recruit well
It concerns me a bit he went for Hayes who is from the Bulldogs when there were better options in the pre season draft
And Voss when he can to not pick softies

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:57 pm 
Garry Crane

keogh wrote:
Mil Hanna wrote:

Go Blues!

More than I expected
He is wasted in defence
He is aggressive

He has 2 years to go
Does not present enough
Collingwood and Geelong have shown how important recruiting is with rookie picks, late picks and the preseason draft

Carroll
Kemp
Philip likewise
They look good but don’t want it enough and we are too swayed by the fact they were early picks in the draft as juniors
Stephen Wells recruited Enright and was most impressed by his competitive nature
It took him a while for his career to take off but when it did the rest was history
To me we still have too many players who are too nice and are happy if there just out there
He should be stepping up
It concerns me a bit he went for Hayes who is from the Bulldogs when there were better options in the pre season draft

I’ve often thought we have to many of the same defenders with doc Saad and Williams , but I’ve never considered putting saad in the midfield I think it’s a great idea. Makes you wonder why we haven’t tried it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bmaurizio wrote:
Williams along with Saad were meant to address speed, effectiveness off HB in support of mids, both on significant contracts one perennial injured and the other is Ok.

What!!!!!

Saad is OK????

Sorry bm.....I enjoy your posts, a lot. But this is so wrong I'm going to KO this post from my memory banks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:02 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
cortez wrote:
We've given away too many top draft picks (and too much money) for over rated, injury prone duds.

We’ve given away two picks for Saad & Cerra.

Dow cost us Pick 3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:14 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
Mil Hanna wrote:

Go Blues!

More than I expected
He is wasted in defence
He is aggressive

He has 2 years to go
Does not present enough

Carroll
Kemp
Philip likewise
He should be stepping up

Cerra is an important part of our midfield GROUP.

We didnt get him for his "express" speed. We got Saad and Williams for that.
We got Cerra because he was there for the taking and its a sellers market.

Its not all about Draft picks.
Look what our pick 3 has done (Dow).
Look at our pick 10 (LOB
@#$%&!, look at our other pick 10 since he's come back from injury (McKay)

The guy I though failed us badly was our pick 30 in the ruck.

Cerra tried his guts out for 4 quarters. He provided more than Cripps in the first half and more than Walsh in the first.

Anyway, it goes to show we had 3 mids vs 7 mids in the Lions group. It wasn't a fair battle.

Fisher, Setterfield LOB Dow for midfield support ... FMD ... SOS would have taken Steerfield in the draft if he was still there but wasnt and SOS picked SPS...all those high draft picks are no guarantee...and Cerra is better than all of them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:16 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

and Fisher is playing in the wrong weight division.

He was monstered by Lions little fellas...and Owies...talk about one paced. He's no mid.

He's been tried and done zilch.

Moving around deck chairs.

We have to keep building our list.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

Saad wouldn't be far off being our best player.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:30 pm 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
Crusader wrote:
cortez wrote:
We've given away too many top draft picks (and too much money) for over rated, injury prone duds.

Dow cost us Pick 3

Two outta three ain’t bad.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:26 am 
Bruce Doull

Weird call on Saad.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:45 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Wojee wrote:
Weird call on Saad.

It's been a ridiculous call all along. Keogh has been consistently critical of Saad because he doesn't play midfield.
It totally disregards the value of a running half back and Saad is one of the best in the game. We have 2 or 3 players who will probably be All Australians and we want to move one of them into another position he's never played. Lunacy.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:55 am 
Geoff Southby

mymanmurph wrote:
keogh wrote:
Mil Hanna wrote:

Go Blues!

More than I expected
He is wasted in defence
He is aggressive

He has 2 years to go
Does not present enough

Carroll
Kemp
Philip likewise
He should be stepping up

I’ve often thought we have to many of the same defenders with doc Saad and Williams , but I’ve never considered putting saad in the midfield I think it’s a great idea. Makes you wonder why we haven’t tried it.

We haven't tried it because it's a not realistic idea.
I'm not sure why we are all of a sudden wanting to test players out of their natural/drafted positions.
Didn't we learn anything from the Teague years.
Saad is not a mid and if we have learnt anything this year, is that the coaches have a game structure and style they want to play and you put the players in the positions/roles to complement their strengths.
Exactly what Geelong, Melbourne and every other team with success does.
Deviating from this is going backwards and I sure as hell hope they don't.
And what Wells has done at Geelong with finding the "diamonds" is a direct result of the structure the team has had over years and years of the same coach with defined positions, roles and needs.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:15 am 
Rod Ashman

Sidefx wrote:
mymanmurph wrote:
keogh wrote:
Mil Hanna wrote:

Go Blues!

More than I expected
He is wasted in defence
He is aggressive

He has 2 years to go
Does not present enough

Carroll
Kemp
Philip likewise
He should be stepping up

We haven't tried it because it's a not realistic idea.
I'm not sure why we are all of a sudden wanting to test players out of their natural/drafted positions.
Didn't we learn anything from the Teague years.
Saad is not a mid and if we have learnt anything this year, is that the coaches have a game structure and style they want to play and you put the players in the positions/roles to complement their strengths.
Exactly what Geelong, Melbourne and every other team with success does.
Deviating from this is going backwards and I sure as hell hope they don't.
And what Wells has done at Geelong with finding the "diamonds" is a direct result of the structure the team has had over years and years of the same coach with defined positions, roles and needs.

And that is a very good point that everyone should remember. Scott has been evolving and refining his game plan for 10+ years so players coming into their system and recruited to play that system have a very clear picture of their role. Our coach and system has not even been in place for 1 year. Players will need to show Voss they have the skill required to play the role he requires and the desire to work/train hard. I do not think how much they get paid will have any impact on whether they stay or go.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:44 am 
John James

keogh wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
keogh wrote:
I thought we were a good chance until Kennedy and Hewett were out

Our one wood has been are clearence work
Hewett has been sorely missed
Walsh was targeted today
He gave his all but didn’t cause significant damage
It was game over there and then
Brisbane are not a top side as the year has panned out
They are crap when the opposition have the ball. They give away too many easy goals in succession as what happened today
Problem was they controlled the game for most of it
Centre clearences were a smashing
That’s my knock on Cerra
He needed to step up
He didn’t
Cripps and Walsh did most of it
I thought Dow was extremely disappointing
Expected more
We have given him a contract in 2023
Maybe premature
I under estimated how much we rely on clearing work
We are too slow through the middle
Very one paced
I have advocated Saad having a different role further up the ground
To me it’s a necessity
I really like Durdin playing a mid field role in 2023

I like Carroll
Kemp
Honey as well
But we still have too many average players and deadwood
Speaking of which
I never rated Setterfield from the beginning as you know
He needs to go. Has been tried in different positions other than the inside mid he was meant to be
Time to go
If we want to succeed we must be ruthless with List Management
He clearly isn’t good enough
Jack Martin is the ultimate pea heart
Convince me otherwise
He simply doesn’t do enough
Has 2 years left. He needs to earn his spot. I get the fact the cupboard is bare with injuries it he didn’t do much in the magoos last week
Mc Governs stats look ok but he is a very disappointing player for what we gave up
That effort in the goal square when we had a small chance in the last was absu pathetic
Add Williams to that list of overpaid overrated players
Voss in his second year needs to make these guys earn their spot
I honestly believe Kemp should be in the team at the exp of The Gov

Still happy
There has been improvement but our short comings are becoming more obvious as the season draws to a close

Williamson
Mc Donald
Setterfield
Hayes
Newnes
Parks
Fogarty
All need to go
And the recruiting needs to be spot on
Have a look at what Collingwood has done this year
6 players from Rookie picks or mid season drafts plus sim excellent late picks in the draft

We still may make the eight and it’s great we have improved but clearly plenty of work needs to be done

Fair call Keogh
I don’t agree re Cerra and Gov.

Cerra was one of our best all game. Tried his guts out. Top 5 Blues players.
We need more than 3 mids Cripps Walsh Cerra

Backline was good for most of game considering how many inside 50,
So they had…must’ve been close to 60

Cerra needs to be better in close
He wasn’t bad today but with Hewett and Kennedy out and Walsh having an average day by his standards he needed to take that next step
He didn’t
And he is still young
But today was a chance to do at when the stakes were high
We gave up a lot to get him
McGovern is a very one dimensional footballer
That effort in the last was so bad at such a crucial stage
Pathetic second effort
Near enough is good enough

commentators were saying Crippa and Walsh were double teamed all day to make sure we didn’t get damaging ball movement. without Kennedy and Hewitt they can afford to do that to us. if those two had have been playing, even without winning HOs those two would have carved them up and they wouldn’t have been able to maintain a double tag on walsh and Cripps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:46 am 
John James

FarmerBlue wrote:
PercyJones wrote:
Honestly, I know that TDK is a young ruckman, but you would have thought he was facing a combination of Max Gawn and Simon Madden in one player rather than Oscar M. have never seen someone so completely lost as he was today. And the hopeless Ch7 commentators just brush over it. We are on the back foot every centre bounce.

IMO TDK is the classic fwd/ruck like Luke Jackson. Can come in when others are tired and have an influence with his athletisicm. Can go forwrad and take marks. He isn't a No.1 ruck that will carry through finals and big games. For that you need a physical player. Gawn, Nankervis, McEvoy, NivNat have been the last few Premiership rucks. GWS kept bringing Mumford back for this reason. Swans got It's one reason why Geelong have struggled recently in finals

Pittonet could be one, Mirkov needs time. We need another big body ruck to help

TDK as the ultimate swingman KDP/KFP/2ndRuck?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:48 am 
John James

keogh wrote:
Cerra is a decent footballer but no way is he worth a pick 6 and a future third rounder
His inside work is average
He is not express
He is a third or fourth mid
With Hewett and Kennedy out and Walsh pressured he didn’t take his game to the next level
He may with time but it’s a huge risk paying out draft picks salary cap space and long term deals to get players with big reputations based on where they were picked in the draft as kids and “ they look ok”
Look at Martin and Setterfield
Same deal although Martin just takes salary cap space
At least Cerra plays like he cares but if he doesn’t improve on his inside work thenthose 2 picks are too much to give away

think club membership sales. instant results (taking Blues out of the bottom four) is money in the bank.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:50 am 
John James

Crusader wrote:
cortez wrote:

the media were calling these trades plus Hewitt the trades of the year during the bye.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next