Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 12:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
My guess is that Newnes will rotate through the backline as the seventh defender.

I can't see it.
I'll be amazed if Kemp doesn't play defence. He has trained with the defenders at times this year and we need another tallish player back there.

I think sinbagger may be alluding to the defensive winger role, coming back to support defenders. A similar role to Setterfield's on the wing. Hence the 7th defender.

I think you (BV) define the 7th defender as the one on the bench who rotates with the other defenders. Eg Newman may be selected on the bench, as the 7th defender, but he will give Doc, Saad and willo a chop out, and last week he played the 3rd tall role, so he could give Kemp a rest too. Between the 7 of them the 2 KPD's usually play 90+% Game time, whereas the others are all equally around 80+%.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 12:39 pm 
Geoff Southby

Grandstanding
Yep definitely saying some posters don’t take into account the opposition in regards to performance
is grandstand comment
But necessary in my view

Adelaide and North have been very poor opposition
My brother said it best and I disagree with on most things
As the season rolls on the best indicator of where you are at in terms of numbers is your %.

We rank 8 th in that area which is a more true indicator of where you are at relative to the 17 other teams.
Yet what you read from posters is where
Top 4
Top 4…..
We are a fair way off it.
We have a few things against us this week
Injuries and a club who owned up to problems off the field and have partly solved the problem by parting ways with the coach which often produces a positive result in the long term

So let’s see how we go this week
If we have a good squad and depth we should beat this guys

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 12:53 pm 
Wayne Johnston

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
My guess is that Newnes will rotate through the backline as the seventh defender.

I can't see it.
I'll be amazed if Kemp doesn't play defence. He has trained with the defenders at times this year and we need another tallish player back there.

I think sinbagger may be alluding to the defensive winger role, coming back to support defenders. A similar role to Setterfield's on the wing. Hence the 7th defender.

I think you (BV) define the 7th defender as the one on the bench who rotates with the other defenders. Eg Newman may be selected on the bench, as the 7th defender, but he will give Doc, Saad and willo a chop out, and last week he played the 3rd tall role, so he could give Kemp a rest too. Between the 7 of them the 2 KPD's usually play 90+% Game time, whereas the others are all equally around 80+%.

Correct

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
Grandstanding
Yep definitely saying some posters don’t take into account the opposition in regards to performance
is grandstand comment
But necessary in my view

As the season rolls on the best indicator of where you are at in terms of numbers is your %.

We rank 8 th in that area which is a more true indicator of where you are at relative to the 17 other teams.
Top 4
Top 4…..
Injuries and a club who owned up to problems off the field and have partly solved the problem by parting ways with the coach which often produces a positive result in the long term

You are Grandstanding again. Baiting. :lol: :lol:
I'm not going to bite, but I will respond respectfully, as best as I can.

I look at all the facts keogh.
You choose to ignore the facts for the purpose of Grandstanding.
I've had some experience in politics and know that shit sticks, even if it is a lie, and you are dishing out shit in the hope it sticks.
How can I get upset with that? I don't. It didn't stick. You want a reaction. OK.

I just stated facts: We beat 2 teams by 50 points.
Both teams played Carlton after shocking defeats.
They came out to play, but couldn't continue to bring the heat in the 2nd half: We did
Same can be said about our ability to bring heat or match the heat in the Tigers game, and the Hawks game, and the Port game.
In past years we would have lost to all the above, and Crows and North.
Have a look at our record before this year.

It seems a fair enough call to suggest we are in some form coming into this game.
Despite being hit with 11 injuries and having used the 2nd most players in the AFL this year, we are 6-2.

I am in discussion with fellow posters on how we can beat the GWS, at a ground we have never won at: their home ground?
If that isn't enough, and with them only missing co captain Phil Davis, their coach announces this will be his last game.

I responded to billc3's ideas on how to beat them. He's an astute judge of what is ahead of us, and I supported his ideas. He is not looking back in the review mirror, he's looking forward.

I also responded to your suggestions, and agreed with your ideas because this is the theme of the discussion: how do we beat GWS against the odds.

Our percentage was 95% 2 weeks ago, and now its 111%. That's an increase of 16%. Fact. You can't take that away from us.
It seems we are heading in the right direction on that front. Blind Freddie can see that. You can too. Fact.

And, I do count and value games won, because you can have the best percentage in the comp, but if you don't have enough wins you DO NOT see Finals.

The position on the ladder is a little celebration, and a bit of a shock for all Carltonians TBH. It wasn't expected. Its a bonus. It is real. Admirable for what it is.

As for your comment on depth. Mate, we have 11 players out injured vs their 1. Have a look at their list: its a great one.
If we lose by a narrow margin, that's a win for me, not failure.
I am putting that out now, because I know you're looking for failure to continue your with your Grandstanding, despite suggesting today injuries are against us.

What's Grandstanding? Making comments, regardless of how far from the truth or the discussion they are, just to get noticed.

Now try and stick to discussing the challenge ahead of us, instead of playing the man. :wink:
Try and remember where we were at last year, and tell us if we are on the rise.
Can you do that?

There's a lot of benefit to be gained sitting 4th with 6-2 ledger. It looks good. It looks right. Its reward for effort......etc etc

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 2:00 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

keogh wrote:
Grandstanding
is grandstand comment
But necessary in my view

Top 4
Top 4…..

Funny, I thought wins losses was the best indicator

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 2:22 pm 
Craig Bradley

We need to put this mob away tomorrow.

If ladder position is the metric, then 8-3 is the benchmark for the first 11 rounds. By that time, we will have played four games against the rest of the finals contenders (current top 8, plus Doggies). There could be a two-game gap to 10th by then.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 3:09 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
I think you (BV) define the 7th defender as the one on the bench who rotates with the other defenders.

Probably because that's what the rotating 7th defender is.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 4:46 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
I think you (BV) define the 7th defender as the one on the bench who rotates with the other defenders.

Agree with the definition. :thumbsup:

Otherwise, actually playing the "extra defender" is an on field term> The result is playing one less forward.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 4:50 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

A good summary of our strategy for this game by Jon Pierik .

Quote:
Carlton have had two incarnations of their own “mosquito fleet”. There was the fleet-of-foot, small forwards-midfielders of the late 1970s and early 1980s, which helped raise three premiership flags within four years, while 30 years later a new group under Brett Ratten emerged.

And now the Blues are building their third team within a team, a must-have in the modern footy world where pressure inside attacking 50 is paramount.

Coach Michael Voss referenced the mosquito fleet when announcing young forward Jesse Motlop, the son of former North Melbourne and Port Adelaide star Daniel, will debut against Greater Western Sydney in Leon Cameron’s farewell match on Sunday.

Quote:
Voss wants his small forwards to go about their business as usual, and that’s a good thing. The Blues rank third for tackles inside 50 this season (11.5 per game). Owies (17) leads the way not only at Princes Park but across the league, ahead of Kysaiah Pickett (16), Stephen Coniglio (15), and Sam Switkowski (15), heading into round nine. Durdin (10) has also brought the heat.

Quote:
Jack Martin, the silky goal-scoring leader of the fleet, is missing, but George Hewett (two goals), Adam Cerra (two), and Sam Walsh (one) are frontline midfielders who can score when given the chance.

Quote:
Blues supporters know the current small forwards do not yet match up to the likes of the hard-running (and hard-partying) Wayne Johnston, David Glascott, Alex Marcou, Jimmy Buckley, Rod Ashman, Wayne Harmes and Ken Sheldon circa 1979-82, nor the likes of Eddie Betts, Chris Yarran and Jeff Garlett circa 2010.

Regardless, Voss wants his small forwards to maintain the belief they have had through the season, whether that be in their tackling rate, overall pressure, or ability to hit the scoreboard when the opportunities arise.

Quote:
The absence of Martin will hurt, but Cerra said “the next-man mentality” will ensure the Blues remain potent.

Quote:
Jack Martin, the silky goal-scoring leader of the fleet, is missing, but George Hewett (two goals), Adam Cerra (two), and Sam Walsh (one) are frontline midfielders who can score when given the chance.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/how-carlton-s-mosquito-fleet-hope-to-put-the-bite-on-giants-in-cameron-s-farewell-20220514-p5albi.html

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 6:31 pm 
Rod Ashman

Just win!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:00 pm 
Harry Vallence

Hogan to miss.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:02 pm 
formerly Fevola

Yep but do we prefer Riccardi or Hogan. Watch Riccardi play like a champion against us.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:15 pm 
Bruce Doull

daggs001 wrote:
Hogan to miss.

dropped or injured?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 8:19 pm 
formerly Fevola

Hogan - Illness apparently. I was hoping we would get a reprieve and have not have an extra tall but Riccardi is in. Blah……

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:36 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

keogh wrote:
Grandstanding
is grandstand comment
But necessary in my view

Top 4
Top 4…..

Yes but we are gradually getting better
New coach
In fact new coaches

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:38 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Agree with the definition. :thumbsup:

Otherwise, actually playing the "extra defender" is an on field term> The result is playing one less forward.

Won't be doing much on the pine

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 10:39 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Hogan isn't quite the superstar he promised to be but he is a good lead up forward So having him miss helps a little bit

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 11:09 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Drewgirl wrote:
Hogan - Illness apparently. I was hoping we would get a reprieve and have not have an extra tall but Riccardi is in. Blah……
Riccardi kicked a bag against Bullants last week but he has played 4 games and hasn't kicked a goal this year yet.

Cameron is gone for a reason GWS has won 1 of its last 5 and that was against Crows.

Hogan is a huge out

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 12:25 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Paddycripps wrote:
Hogan isn't quite the superstar he promised to be but he is a good lead up forward So having him miss helps a little bit

Was better than Cripps apparently

:roll:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 7:04 am 
Geoff Southby

kingkerna wrote:
keogh wrote:
Grandstanding
is grandstand comment
But necessary in my view

Top 4
Top 4…..

Funny, I thought wins losses was the best indicator

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Thoughts on the modern game?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 264 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next