Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:20 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

carntheblues wrote:
Interesting comments from everyone. I got home late last night after thye game so thought I would post my thoughts this morning. Firstly it was evident early on there was a desire to compete and work for each other. I was pleased to see Walsh play on the wing. That is where he should stay, it is his best position and works best for team balance.

Walsh started on the wing but it was a part of the midfield rotation. He spent far more time in the midfield than on the wing.
He's a midfielder and that's where we need him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:43 pm 
Craig Bradley

CK95 wrote:
Good to get the win but a better side would have done us today. Dow is always miles away from it when we have possession. Cripps tried to do too much all day but was still good. SOS & Jones awesome.

Umpires were really kind to us I thought.

From about half way through the third we played like millionaires. Take the win but.

I'm a McGovern fan but if prefer another game or 2 in the reserves. Stocker in for Dow though.

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

They pulled our pants down from this point - 5.6 them to 3.2 us.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:11 pm 
Robert Walls

We won the first quarter by 4 points
We won the second by 31 points
We won the third by 11 points
We lost the fourth quarter by 1 point

This is a team we've beaten with the last kick of the game the last two times we've played them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:25 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
carntheblues wrote:
Interesting comments from everyone. I got home late last night after thye game so thought I would post my thoughts this morning. Firstly it was evident early on there was a desire to compete and work for each other. I was pleased to see Walsh play on the wing. That is where he should stay, it is his best position and works best for team balance.

Walsh started on the wing but it was a part of the midfield rotation. He spent far more time in the midfield than on the wing.
He's a midfielder and that's where we need him.

Walsh is one of the best midfielders in the AFL. He's only 20yo and he's only just starting. He can play anywhere, but the engine room is where we want our best mids....imo

I must admit I did like seeing Ed and Williams in the midfield at the first bounce, and not where they were named.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:28 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bluechampion wrote:
We won the first quarter by 4 points
We won the second by 31 points
We won the third by 11 points
We lost the fourth quarter by 1 point

This is a team we've beaten with the last kick of the game the last two times we've played them.

Not as bad as it looked on tv.

I thought the players started to lose concentration on the game plan and started lairising and being a bit too cute...Harlem Globetrotters like.

One more point and we would have 100% percentage.
One more goals in the last 10 seconds would have us higher than Pies....if only Walshy was a bit selfish he would have kicked that too.

Great signs.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:37 pm 
Bruce Doull

bondiblue wrote:
I thought the players started to lose concentration on the game plan and started lairising and being a bit too cute...Harlem Globetrotters like.

I thought so too bondi. It looked like we were playing the last 10 min of a GF when the team is 10 goals up. Really wanted Teague to get them to just hold possession for a couple of minutes & just calm the hell down

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:09 pm 
Bert Deacon

win takes the pressure of for the week and we need to back it up against Gold C. I would make setters earn his spot and drop casbolt who does not look fit and bring in another quick ball mover .

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:15 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

I thought so too bondi. It looked like we were playing the last 10 min of a GF when the team is 10 goals up. Really wanted Teague to get them to just hold possession for a couple of minutes & just calm the hell down

I agree, we started drinking our bath water and getting way too comfortable and cute way too quickly.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:37 pm 
Geoff Southby

Win lose or draw I reckon you need to look at the game in context to three areas
1 The opposition
Freo were shit. They didn’t come to play . Their midfield stunk up the big one.
Taberner is their only decent forward he was just ok
Their defence had nobody to match McKay given the supply

2 our best players
Walsh Jones had their best games. Walsh is an aerobic contested beast. Jones actually kicked the ball beautifully. Don’t expect it 2 weeks in a row!
Cripps played really well.
Fogarty looks really good. Early days but that prick Scott might regret not keeping him and getting Higgins.
Gibbons was excellent
Mc Kay had his best game. Still hate it when he kicks check sides. He will never get it easier. If Curnow comes back it would be fantastic seeing those 2 dudes in action.

3 our worst players
Please drop Murphy and Betts. Not up to it . Period
Give Owies an extended time in the seniors as a small forward
Plowman got. bit of it and is trying to become more offensive but makes too many mistakes under pressure
Casboult and Dow not up to it
Dow has no game sense and has been granted games ahead of others because he was a pick 3
Bring in McDonald and Stocker

And don’t drop Cottrell and Parks. Give them an extended run
Both have some mongrel about them something we have sadly lacked for a long time

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:44 pm 
Rod Ashman

My favourite highlight was Jones' kick lace out to Harry in the first quarter :thumbsup:
I'm still enjoying the afterglow of a good win.
More please Blues!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:20 pm 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
Win lose or draw I reckon you need to look at the game in context to three areas
1 The opposition

2 our best players
Walsh Jones had their best games. Walsh is an aerobic contested beast. Jones actually kicked the ball beautifully. Don’t expect it 2 weeks in a row!
Fogarty looks really good. Early days but that prick Scott might regret not keeping him and getting Higgins.
Gibbons was excellent
Mc Kay had his best game. Still hate it when he kicks check sides. He will never get it easier. If Curnow comes back it would be fantastic seeing those 2 dudes in action.

3 our worst players
Plowman got. bit of it and is trying to become more offensive but makes too many mistakes under pressure
Dow has no game sense and has been granted games ahead of others because he was a pick 3

Both have some mongrel about them something we have sadly lacked for a long time

Sadly Teague doesn’t have the balls to change our losing culture mentally and be ruthless , we have to put up with no impact Murphy until end of the season

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:22 pm 
Geoff Southby

I"ll take the win and leave it at that.

PS...............I"ll state the obvious............Walsh is a beautiful player.Mesmerising.Poetry in motion..............seen a lot of out and out stars don The Old Dark Navy Blue over the years.Walsh is right up there with them...........i repeat,a beautiful player.

follow it up next week boys and all of a sudden things look brighter.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:42 pm 
Robert Walls

azzablue wrote:
keogh wrote:
1 The opposition

2 our best players
Gibbons was excellent

3 our worst players

Sadly Teague doesn’t have the balls to change our losing culture mentally and be ruthless , we have to put up with no impact Murphy until end of the season

Teague may well lose his job as a result of his inability to drop Murphy this year...we are pretty much one player short, not to mention any friction it could cause in the playing group
And...as supportive as Betts is in blocking for others, that's his side role, not his main role. Want to see more tangible pressure I50 and goal assists (as well as about 1.5 -2 goals/game)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:46 pm 
Robert Walls

Mickstar wrote:
I"ll take the win and leave it at that.

PS...............I"ll state the obvious............Walsh is a beautiful player.Mesmerising.Poetry in motion..............seen a lot of out and out stars don The Old Dark Navy Blue over the years.Walsh is right up there with them...........i repeat,a beautiful player.

follow it up next week boys and all of a sudden things look brighter.

Don't follow it up next week and we'll continue on our journey of being a basket-case club...no excuses!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:54 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Good description

The prize was percentage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:42 pm 
Bob Chitty

carntheblues wrote:
Interesting comments from everyone. I got home late last night after thye game so thought I would post my thoughts this morning. Firstly it was evident early on there was a desire to compete and work for each other. I was pleased to see Walsh play on the wing. That is where he should stay, it is his best position and works best for team balance. Cottrell on the other wing is a better selection than Setters. He is hard at the ball and runs his guts out. He worked hard back to help out the defence and it was this defensive running and pressure by the midfield group that enabled the backs to team defence and not be one out all the time. Jones and Plowman benefitted majorly from this. Setters if he plays needs to be in the midfield. Also Saad and Doc did not run off their man so far which meant they were able to get back more easily if we turned the ball over. Against Collingwood both were caught out of position a lot when the ball was turned over. Now the impact of the narrower ground at Marvel versus the MCG also helped here.
I think people are hard on Levi as he still competes in the air bringing the ball to ground plus he takes a quality defender due to his marking. I agree he has dropped off but I suspect he is not able to train during the week due to the knee but I feel he still has a role to play that OM can't do.
I watched Dow quite closely at times and while I feel his aerobic capacity and grit to close space down when required still needs improvement his work inside was good. He provided regular blocks for Crippa at stoppages and was able to create space around stoppages for other players to run into with the ball. He is clearly an inside player as when outside he gets caught being dragged into the ball creating a hole for the opposition. It was not obvious in this game as Freo rarely got the ball to take advantage. I believe Setters or Dow are fighting for this inside spot and at the moment I would give Dow half a season to improve. I think he may be the type of player that gradually gets better without ever having a breakout game. In 2 years he may be a good consistent and reliable midfielder. I would persist as he is contributing and playing his role.
We have two players who are footballers first. Gibbons and JSOS should always be in our best 22; they just know where to be at the right time.
Fogarty has been a great pickup and Parks should be picked ahead of Williamson until Williamson at least learns to kick on his right foot, but I think Parks looks the better player.
Good win and lets hope for a second next week.
Go Blues!

Agree with every bit of this except the Walsh positioning analysis.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:57 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
supercoach wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
A win's a win's a win

MVP voting open : viewtopic.php?f=21&t=37161

A 45 point win

BOG a toss up between Walsh Cripps jones Fogarty McKay ....Inhavent even seen the stats yet.

Walsh is a phenomena. His disposals usually count.

Glad to win by 1 point let alone 45.

We were 46 up at half time and 62 points during the third.

Dow pick 3 beat Cerra pick 4 on the day. Neither were stars but hey...it's about them.

Go Blues

How did Dow beat cerra Bondi ?

Look, they were both below average.
Cerra more disposals, but on the outside whilst eveyone else was doing the hard work.
Dow put his head over the ball more and got in close to distribute.

Cerra a better kick. Dow a harder player.

My vote. Dow.

Now drop him for Stocker.

Cerra is a class player.
Yet there's another player who was taken later in the draft than both Dow and Cerra that is playing great footy.
Averaging 22 possessions this season, 4.3 tackles, 8.3 contested possessions, more effective disposals than Cerra, more stoppage clearances and more goals. And IMHO, he has far more scope for improvement.
Lachie Fogarty.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:10 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

keogh wrote:
1 The opposition

2 our best players
Gibbons was excellent

3 our worst players

The opposition were shit. Our players had their best game. Don't expect it again. Blah blah blah
We won by 45 points Keogh. Dwell in your own negativity without coming here and trying to drag the rest of us into it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:47 pm 
Horrie Clover

keogh wrote:
1 The opposition

2 our best players
Gibbons was excellent

3 our worst players

Cleary not watching the same game, Betts blocked so many times for Mckay. Why do you think he was able to get a free run at it?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:56 pm 
Banned

We smashed them and didnt let them play their game. No passengers in that game just some lapses.. they got monstered on every line and the team deserves credit for that performance regardless who the competition is. This was potentially a very tricky game to navigate and leaders played a critical role.

Need to keep pushing and get better..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next