Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:15 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:39 am 
Bruce Doull

aboynamedsue wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Richmond have been better than us (and the whole competition) for the last 4 years and are still better than us? If that’s the point, then I agree. I don’t like it, but it’s undeniable. It doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy the positives from Thursday’s game.

The point is the same thing happens every year, with the same things costing us and we supporters making the same excuses afterwards, all under faux pretence of improvement. The positives are always the same, as are the negatives.

The next few weeks will be far more revealing about whether we’re truly taking that next step, not another copy-paste honourable round 1 loss that is now an annual tradition.

I agree with the highlighted bit.

I don’t see anyone getting carried away with our round 1 performance, but most are saying they liked aspects of our play.

And they’re welcome to. These are just the reasons why I’m not satisfied.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:56 am 
Banned

We looked more drilled. The haphazard play running around like headless chooks is hopefully a thing of the past.

Gifting soft goals is sure a specialty of ours. Plenty of areas to tidy up and it starts this week.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:15 pm 
Harry Vallence

Mickstar wrote:
No such thing as an honourable loss,but jeez,Dusty played a blinder and all the Tiger good player's performed.They where at the top of there game and just beat us.We had our chances.So,all in all it gives us hope.................but as many of you blokes have already mentioned,it counts for zilch if we don't butter up and beat the morale sapped Pies.............................actually,i found the channel 7 commentary fascinating.Brian Taylor is a good fair commentator with a nice dry sense of humour.The special comments man Luke Hodge had me guessing.He knew the Carlton side like the back of his hand.He was so Carlton focussed it was like he was coaching the side from the commentary box.It was like a job interview with him presenting to our board like he knew the answers to our side..........Sorta Kevin Sheedy like who started out in the media to launch him into the Essendon** job............really fascinating commentary fro Hodge i thought.

I agree with all of this except the comments regarding Brian Taylor.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

cortez wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
No such thing as an honourable loss,but jeez,Dusty played a blinder and all the Tiger good player's performed.They where at the top of there game and just beat us.We had our chances.So,all in all it gives us hope.................but as many of you blokes have already mentioned,it counts for zilch if we don't butter up and beat the morale sapped Pies.............................actually,i found the channel 7 commentary fascinating.Brian Taylor is a good fair commentator with a nice dry sense of humour.The special comments man Luke Hodge had me guessing.He knew the Carlton side like the back of his hand.He was so Carlton focussed it was like he was coaching the side from the commentary box.It was like a job interview with him presenting to our board like he knew the answers to our side..........Sorta Kevin Sheedy like who started out in the media to launch him into the Essendon*** job............really fascinating commentary fro Hodge i thought.

I agree with all of this except the comments regarding Brian Taylor.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've told BT Carlton fans don't like his bias against the Bluebaggers, which he denies. I told him I thought he was bias too, similarl;y like those other communicators (coz they are NOT journos) and their anti carlton vitriol.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:04 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Speaking of Dusty, I noticed Ed was following Dusty around, but gave him a 20 metre head start/ gap. What a waste of time and effort. He just couldn't keep up or didnt want to.

There's different types of runners. Long distance joggers (like Ed) cannot go against speedsters like Dusty. I learned a lot about Ed's limitations from that. He may be a tagger but not for every type of player. Dusty was too big, too strong and too fast for Ed.

I thought that Teague didn't pay enough attention to Dusty, as a result, nor did his opponent. Fancy giving someone like Dusty free reign. FMD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:19 pm 
John Nicholls

bondiblue wrote:
Speaking of Dusty, I noticed Ed was following Dusty around, but gave him a 20 metre head start/ gap. What a waste of time and effort. He just couldn't keep up or didnt want to.

There's different types of runners. Long distance joggers (like Ed) cannot go against speedsters like Dusty. I learned a lot about Ed's limitations from that. He may be a tagger but not for every type of player. Dusty was too big, too strong and too fast for Ed.

I thought that Teague didn't pay enough attention to Dusty, as a result, nor did his opponent. Fancy giving someone like Dusty free reign. FMD

We have noone on our team that can tackle/disposess Dusty. He rag-dolls almost anyone in the league, 1-on-1. When playing forward, he used to do it to Tuohey and now does it to Plowman.

You go to him, you end up getting brushed aside and the rest of the team is a man down. You gotta stop the ball getting to him by holding as much possession as possible, and you gotta man up close on players forward of the ball when he has it. Ed was right not to go right up to him. The only outcome had Ed played closer on him, would have been he'd end up getting his throat/voicebox almost ripped out again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:24 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

robertbb wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

We have noone on our team that can tackle/disposess Dusty. He rag-dolls almost anyone in the league, 1-on-1. When playing forward, he used to do it to Tuohey and now does it to Plowman.

You go to him, you end up getting brushed aside and the rest of the team is a man down. You gotta stop the ball getting to him by holding as much possession as possible, and you gotta man up close on players forward of the ball when he has it. Ed was right not to go right up to him. The only outcome had Ed played closer on him, would have been he'd end up getting his throat/voicebox almost ripped out again.

I getcha

Get Franchina. Small enough to get under Dusty's palm to the throat area (below Franchinas head). And no fear.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:25 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

robertbb wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

Has to be Jack Silvagni. He can do it.
Bigger body. Fearless. Comative. Will get smashed/injured. Maybe.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:02 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

https://www.afl.com.au/news/568731/the-dire-predicament-facing-four-finals-contenders-in-round-two

Riley Beveridge from afl.com.au, a professed know it all on the Carlton Football Team lumps Carlton with Collingwood's effort vs Bulldogas last week and says

Quote:
For both Carlton and Collingwood, they entered season 2021 knowing that finals football would be seen as a minimum expectation among supporters rather than being viewed as something of an over-achievement.

However, each had their own issues last week. Despite getting close to Richmond and the Western Bulldogs, respectively, there was a sense internally among both clubs that the final margins might have been flattering.

Typical sensationalism using words like "might be". That's very reassuring Riley. I just lumped you in the know it all lot of writers with a desire to be recognised as journalists for breaking news.

Well this is just made up rubbish.

Carlton had the lead quite a few times from the outset of the game, and troubled the reigning Premiers to the opint that with 7 minutes to go, Dow running into open goal, 30 out, misses a shot for goal which would have put Carlton back in front. Richmond flattered its win kicking the last 3 goals in red time, after a few mistakes from usually reliable captain, Docherty, Jones and the midfield group.

Tell me, riley, who suggested the scoreline flattered Carlton?

The disappointment after the game was letting a possible win slip out of our reach with several late goals in red time making the scoreline look greater than the game reflected. Everyone has said this including Richmond members of the team.

Disappointing reporting. Typical degrading of the Carlton Football club....and no mention that Carlton had Williams, Martin, Charlie Curnow, Marchbank, Betts, McGovern and Newman missing, which was the story.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:13 am 
Ken Hunter

Even the Ch7 commentators said the final margin wasn't a reflection of the closeness of the game. Riley can go suck one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:26 am 
Laurie Kerr

We were smashed in the I50s 75 - 41 and the centre clearances 19 -10.

Our backline held up really well and we worked very hard to be within striking range with 5mins to go, but I would be disappointed if the coaching group weren't honest with themselves that those sort of numbers will typically result in a 6+ goal loss.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:24 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

peabody wrote:
We were smashed in the I50s 75 - 41 and the centre clearances 19 -10.

Our backline held up really well and we worked very hard to be within striking range with 5mins to go, but I would be disappointed if the coaching group weren't honest with themselves that those sort of numbers will typically result in a 6+ goal loss.

Geez we were lucky our backline played really well against Tigers, especially Plowman, Weitering, Saad and Docherty (except the the last 3 fumbles in the last).

Reiwoldt beat Jones and Castana beat Williamson, but Newnes played a ripper as the extra Defender coming in to help from the wing with his 10 marks and 27 possessions.

Today Doggies smashed the hapless Roos today by 128 points

Bulldogs kicked 25.17 from 65 Fwd 50 entries.

Tigers kicked 15.15 from 75 Fwd 50 entries.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:54 pm 
Geoff Southby

We got carried away after giving the Tigers a run for there money.They aint that good.Swans tearing 'em to pieces.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Mickstar wrote:
We got carried away after giving the Tigers a run for there money.They aint that good.Swans tearing 'em to pieces.

Bring the heat right up to them and hunt the packs like they do...and stand up to them, and things happen.

We obviously players don't bring the intensity, and the coach's plan is amiss to help with that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9