Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:00 pm 
Rod Ashman

Interesting observation about Luke Hodge, Mickstar.
Love to have Hodgey on-board.
I watched it on Fox.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:26 pm 
Geoff Southby

CFC8795 wrote:
Interesting observation about Luke Hodge, Mickstar.
Love to have Hodgey on-board.
I watched it on Fox.

I might be reading too much into it 95 but jeez,its like he was going over our side with a fine tooth comb.I thought his knowledge and understanding of our side was brilliant actually.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:12 am 
Stephen Kernahan

A disappointing loss but the future looks good. Richmond were at full strength minus Houli and Cotchin who are both over 30 and well past their best.
We were within a goal with 6 minutes to play without Martin, Williams, Charlie, DeKoning and possibly McGovern, Newman or Marchbank.
If we get a chance to play them later in the year, we should fancy our chances.

It's up to the fitness coaches to pull their fingers out and our stoppage coaches to sort out our centre bounces.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:00 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
GWS wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
He has a point

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/03/18/ ... ar-martin/

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

This from the bloke who apparently tipped Carlton?

What was he doing for the last four months?

What was every coach who lost a flag to his Norm Smith Medals doing in the four months prior?

If I was Teague and someone asked me about Kane Cornes comments I’d laugh loudly and say he was the biggest arse-clown in 100 years of the game.
So you thought Teagues tactics for Martin were good.

I will give you a tip if I was playing and I wasn't very good if he went to fend off I would have broken his arm .
I for the life of me can't understand why someone hasn't done it.

Every basic martial arts instructor could teach you that in 5 minutes.

They just sit back and watch him.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Problem is that if you do Martial Arts and use those lessons to hurt someone, you're in trouble with the law let alone the AFL.

Cyril Rioli wouldnt let them off that easy.
Although you're taking it a step further Sydney, that's exactly what a WCE player did a couple of seasons back... Forget the hips, grab the arm... Worked very well..agree, some training required but... an easy adjustment...

Don't know why it's not being done across the whole comp??

Go Blues

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:21 am 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
A disappointing loss but the future looks good. Richmond were at full strength minus Houli and Cotchin who are both over 30 and well past their best.
We were within a goal with 6 minutes to play without Martin, Williams, Charlie, DeKoning and possibly McGovern, Newman or Marchbank.

It's up to the fitness coaches to pull their fingers out and our stoppage coaches to sort out our centre bounces.

I agree with your overall point, but I’m not counting on Charlie and Marchbank making us better this year.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:29 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:

Richmond had 3 or 4 additional players running through the midfield. Cripps and Walsh were well and truly cooked half way through the last quarter. We need additional midfield assistance otherwise we are going to struggle.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:55 am 
Stephen Kernahan

AGRO wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

Richmond had 3 or 4 additional players running through the midfield. Cripps and Walsh were well and truly cooked half way through the last quarter. We need additional midfield assistance otherwise we are going to struggle.

True. That's where Martin and Williams will make us better next week hopefully. Plus Cuningham or Kennedy.
How O'Brien got a game ahead of them baffles me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:12 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

AGRO wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

They were gassed at the end of the 3rd and as you say in the last. They did the majority of lifting: contesting ball, tackling, running, linking.

Its obvious the midfield wax with Williams and Martin adds plenty of help in there.

I couldn't help but think that Fish and Dow playing in the centre square in the last 10 minutes were ball watching hoping the ball comes their way with Cripps contesting against 2 Tigers...then ball pushed to Shai on his own, who was not manned and away he went to win another of his 9 midfield clearances.

Point is, Williams and Martin will help, but Dow and Fish were not contesting to win the ball, and need to fix that up. If you're ball hungry you chase till you get it. At least one of them should be targeting the ball with Cripps and only one waits for the outside ball, with an eye to his opponent on the outside too, till at least the cavalry in Saad from HB, Setters or Newnes from the wing come in for outside ball.

Midfield set up really needs sorting regardless of the return of Williams and Martin. We need 6-8 winners playing in the centre bounce and another few for the midfield work around the ground.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:22 am 
John James

bondiblue wrote:
AGRO wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

They were gassed at the end of the 3rd and as you say in the last. They did the majority of lifting: contesting ball, tackling, running, linking.

Its obvious the midfield wax with Williams and Martin adds plenty of help in there.

I couldn't help but think that Fish and Dow playing in the centre square in the last 10 minutes were ball watching hoping the ball comes their way with Cripps contesting against 2 Tigers...then ball pushed to Shai on his own, who was not manned and away he went to win another of his 9 midfield clearances.

Point is, Williams and Martin will help, but Dow and Fish were not contesting to win the ball, and need to fix that up. If you're ball hungry you chase till you get it. At least one of them should be targeting the ball with Cripps and only one waits for the outside ball, with an eye to his opponent on the outside too, till at least the cavalry in Saad from HB, Setters or Newnes from the wing come in for outside ball.

Midfield set up really needs sorting regardless of the return of Williams and Martin. We need 6-8 winners playing in the centre bounce and another few for the midfield work around the ground.

It is clear that we don't have the smarts in the midfield with set ups. So many others can see that, why not Barker et al?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:30 pm 
Bruce Doull

I know I'm just a pessimist, but here's a small sample of responses (some even from myself) of why that is, and why I feel the other night proves sweet @#$%&! all...

(eternal optimists may want to look away)

Round 1 - 2021
Quote:
If someone said we would be in 40 points we would have taken that

Got some players to come back so still hope

We’ll win more than we lose if we play like that every week . . . some encouraging signs tonight.

Too many unforced errors.

Still giving up those junk time goals

So many issues and yet we weren’t that far off.

Round 1 - 2020
Quote:
Not a bad result to be fair. No forward structure has killed us.

Take Lynch, Reiwoldt and Castagna our of Richmond and see how they go.

Plus our ruckman out in the first quarter.

Our inability to cut sides up on the outs
ide kills us. Great with contested possession but on the outside, no good. Just doesn't allow us easy ball inside 50. Richmond's ability to waltz through the corridor and set up an easy goal was just about the complete difference.

It's looking a little brighter now. It wasn't just showing a bit of fighting spirit, there was skill and composure too. If only we weren't carrying 5 or 6 players without skill or composure, we'd be good.

This - and weighing up the players we had missing vs Richmond going down a gear later on. It's hard to gauge what comes out of this result.

So a 24 pt loss given that we allowed Bitchmond so many easy goals wasn’t too bad at the end.

Kept fighting the game out. Actually controlled more of the game than the opposition.

We did pretty well against a full team of last years premiers.
Yes we still have work to do but we’ve grown.

The fact is it was always going to be a stretch with outs we had.
Imagine Richmond with no Riewoldt no Lynch and no Rioli.

If we get smashed with a full team that’s 100% fit then I’d worry.

We were beaten by the current premiers by only 24 points.

Not so bad is it?

Round 1 - 2019
Quote:
"Richmond was able to move the ball more effectively scoring 54-7 from defensive midfield chains"

Too often the ball was swept out of the forward line and went straight inside Richmond's forward 50.

Really proud of our team's spirit, by no way discrased.

We must kick the easy ones.

The margin was not a true reflection of the game, we played better than them for at least half of it.

Two really good quarters, two awful quarters. Plenty of good signs and plenty to work on.

Good game. It felt more competitive than the scoreboard shows.

Yes I was at the game and the number of times there were free players either on the opposite side or in the middle of the ground I lost count of.

Instead the ball was bombed long to a pack in the forward line which is something we have been doing for years with a singular lack of success. This played right into the tiges hands with their manical streaming downfield forward of the ball style of play.

Fair bit to like. This year us about learning how to play 4 quarters and execute. Talent is there.

The Mckay and Setterfield back to back misses halfway through the third really hurt

Just home from the game. After one of the stinkiest first quarters I have seen, we had plenty of opportunities to put put ourselves in the game. We certainly didn’t drop our bundle. Lots to like from all the youngsters.

lets hope the majority of this group get to string the next 8-10 games together because i think we'll see a massive spike in the 2nd half of the year if they do

Loved the fight and spirit for the middle 2 quarters - I thought those missed shots hurt us.

Round 1 - 2018
Quote:
We were dead exhausted that last qtr but we did keep hanging in. Bigger, stronger bodies ran then game out better.

Obviously disappointed that these wankstains still have our number, but we sent a clear message to those nuff-nuff "experts" that have us pegged for the spoon.

So , so impressed by most of our youngsters.

Very disappointed with many so called senior players.

First game of the season you would think you would be keen to play.

Lots of great signs. Injuries catch up with you, especially against good teams. Ran out of legs.

Pros:
We will win a lot of respect this season and some games as well.
We stuck to the system even though at the end the score blew out.

Lots to like, but Tiges had a hell of a lot more inside fifties and scoring shots. Any vague chance we had was gone once Krooz got injured.

We just lack a little depth at the moment, with our list injuries cruel you, heading in the right direction though.

Should win next week

They can hold their heads up.

We lost yes, but I enjoyed the game. We're going to be better this season. Baring injury and bad form, I think we'll give a few sides some headaches this year. We move quick and yes we faded out in the end, but that's to be expected at this stage. We gave a reigning premiers a shake and that's a good sign. Blooded some kids and didn't get flogged. Go Blues!

Overall there are signs of improvement

We had some outstanding performers tonight but we had too many under performers.

Well, I’m not going to beat up on anyone.
We are a young side finally playing offensive footy.
There’s going to be mistakes. We have to iron out the kinks to drive forward.
We cant expect some of these kids to stand up mature body’s.

Right now it’s about building a solid experienced list.

We challenged Richmond and for that I’m proud.
I haven’t been this happy with Carlton in a long time.
We are in no position to be challenging for finals yet we took it the Premiers.

It’s all about building this year.

Improving and finding our needs.

I think we’ll make the 8 next year

You get the idea...

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:39 pm 
Geoff Southby

Richmond have been better than us (and the whole competition) for the last 4 years and are still better than us? If that’s the point, then I agree. I don’t like it, but it’s undeniable. It doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy the positives from Thursday’s game.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:45 pm 
Bruce Doull

aboynamedsue wrote:
Richmond have been better than us (and the whole competition) for the last 4 years and are still better than us? If that’s the point, then I agree. I don’t like it, but it’s undeniable. It doesn’t mean we can’t enjoy the positives from Thursday’s game.

The point is the same thing happens every year, with the same things costing us and we supporters making the same excuses afterwards, all under faux pretence of improvement. The positives are always the same, as are the negatives.

The next few weeks will be far more revealing about whether we’re truly taking that next step, not another copy-paste honourable round 1 loss that is now an annual tradition.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:03 pm 
Robert Walls

Blue Vain wrote:

Rationally speaking, I agree wholeheartedly
Historically (not as rational though), I'm tipping a loss against the Pies

As the NASA flight director said during the Apollo 13 recovery, "failure is not an option gentlemen"

A loss Thursday is a disaster...and the first nail in our 2021 coffin.

MUST bank the 4 points at any cost

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:56 pm 
Geoff Southby

Donstuie wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

The point is the same thing happens every year, with the same things costing us and we supporters making the same excuses afterwards, all under faux pretence of improvement. The positives are always the same, as are the negatives.

The next few weeks will be far more revealing about whether we’re truly taking that next step, not another copy-paste honourable round 1 loss that is now an annual tradition.

I agree with the highlighted bit.

I don’t see anyone getting carried away with our round 1 performance, but most are saying they liked aspects of our play.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:11 pm 
Ken Hunter

I've got Stockholm syndrome from Carlton so I'll still front up every week thinking we can win, but I definitely can relate to Don's sentiments; we keep seeing these "honourable" losses and saying "we will beat most teams playing like that", then in week 2 we get punked by another loss against a lowly ranked side. It's not the inability to be competitive that's our problem, it's the inability to turn that into consistent winning form. Let's face it, none of us were surprised to see Richmond run through us at the end, it was written in the stars the moment Dow missed a very gettable go-ahead shot. A team like Richmond probably wouldn't miss that shot but even if they did, you know they would have raised the pressure even higher and had another chance within a minute. With Carlton it was like, sigh, that was our moment. And from then on, it was a walk in the park for the enemy. We need to find that winner's mentality, and we're yet to show any sign of it in the past 10 years, frankly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:14 am 
Ken Hunter

I think we still have a few weak links that when the pressure to win is there get exposed. My concern is, will we ever strengthen our weakest parts to more ably support our better parts?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:04 am 
Ken Hunter

I can't say it enough but our clearances - centre clearances need to be the focus moving forward.
Teague needs to ask the hard questions on both Kruezer and Barker. That was embarrassing and if they cannot fix it, then they need to be moved on - mid season if need be!!!

No more incompetence.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:13 am 
Bruce Doull

billc3 wrote:
Although you're taking it a step further Sydney, that's exactly what a WCE player did a couple of seasons back... Forget the hips, grab the arm... Worked very well..agree, some training required but... an easy adjustment...

Don't know why it's not being done across the whole comp??

Go Blues

After seeing Martin fend off his 4th or 5th tackler I yelled "Just grab his @#$%&! arm!" at the TV.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:35 am 
Rod Ashman

SurreyBlue wrote:
I can't say it enough but our clearances - centre clearances need to be the focus moving forward.
Teague needs to ask the hard questions on both Kruezer and Barker. That was embarrassing and if they cannot fix it, then they need to be moved on - mid season if need be!!!

No more incompetence.

Yep, we win the hit outs AND lose the centre clearances 19 to 10

It was the difference

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:02 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

london blue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

No more incompetence.

Yep, we win the hit outs AND lose the centre clearances 19 to 10

It was the difference

Yep ... and that's why the future looks bright:

* Pitto is just a fill in for when Krezer goes down, whilst TDK develops.
* Walsh and Cripps are bonafide centre square SAS.
* Williams and Martin are the 3rd and 4th Beatle in the square. They add intensity for the contest.
* Stoppages Coach needs to coach Dow, Fisher, Gibbons etc to play an effective centre square role

Fix it

* TDK is on our list and will become the cornerstone of our midfield brigade.
* Willams and Martin return this week
* Cripps and Walshy are resilient and will stand up for many years ahead.
* Stoppages Coach needs to be improved and can be ... will they is the question I have of the club...again
* We will find out which developing mid will make improve us. If not replace them.
* This year is not our Flag year. We will add another bonafide midfielder or two at the end of this season.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next