Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:28 pm 
Rod Ashman

I think a lot of the criticism aimed at specific players after 1 round of a 22 round season is overly harsh. I thought there were good signs of improvement and the additions of Williams and Martin next week (hopefully) will improve us further

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:47 pm 
Ken Hunter

yes all those players have never played before....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:37 pm 
Craig Bradley

carntheblues wrote:
I think a lot of the criticism aimed at specific players after 1 round of a 22 round season is overly harsh. I thought there were good signs of improvement and the additions of Williams and Martin next week (hopefully) will improve us further
Yes. There was good things, things we need to work on but even so we were a straight kick from taking the lead against a side that has won 3 of the last 4 flags with 5 min to go. We don't need to overanalyse it, which we all tend to do, just know where we were deficient compared to the best. We didn't have the composure at important times. Nice to know we weren't far off with still quite a bit to work on. As long as we work on it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:44 pm 
Craig Bradley

Yes agree and imagine if we had got a couple of 50 metre penalties our way and our player who belted someone in the head with an elbow got off at the MRO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:52 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

sinbagger wrote:
Amazing when I go the age to read about the game and the lead story is about how good Martin is, accompanied by a picture of him blatantly infringing by pushing Jones in the face/neck.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/dus ... 57c03.html
I doubt that photo was 'accidental'.
Martin is a super player,
BUT
IT'S Getting embarrassing with the umps calling play on with:
-Hand to head or throat
-Dropping ball if locked in the tackle
-holding the jumper of the player behind/beside and pulling it down with his weight prior to the contest

Obvious.. Just allowed to happen.... VERY weird

Go Blues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:46 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

He has a point

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/03/18/ ... ar-martin/

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:15 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Sydney Blue wrote:
He has a point

This from the bloke who apparently tipped Carlton?

What was he doing for the last four months?

What was every coach who lost a flag to his Norm Smith Medals doing in the four months prior?

If I was Teague and someone asked me about Kane Cornes comments I’d laugh loudly and say he was the biggest arse-clown in 100 years of the game.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:40 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GWS wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
He has a point

What was every coach who lost a flag to his Norm Smith Medals doing in the four months prior?

If I was Teague and someone asked me about Kane Cornes comments I’d laugh loudly and say he was the biggest arse-clown in 100 years of the game.
So you thought Teagues tactics for Martin were good.

I will give you a tip if I was playing and I wasn't very good if he went to fend off I would have broken his arm .
I for the life of me can't understand why someone hasn't done it.

Every basic martial arts instructor could teach you that in 5 minutes.

They just sit back and watch him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:02 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
GWS wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
He has a point

I will give you a tip if I was playing and I wasn't very good if he went to fend off I would have broken his arm .

Problem is that if you do Martial Arts and use those lessons to hurt someone, you're in trouble with the law let alone the AFL.

Cyril Rioli wouldnt let them off that easy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:09 pm 
Robert Walls

My views on the game and on Teague are about baffling 'perceptions' of favouritism and vistimisation

Players like Kennedy, Stocker, Cunningham, O'Brien and Dow are made to earn their spots with significant evidence yet players like Murphy, SPS, Betts last year can serve up shit week after week after fkn week yet still remain in the side

As much as the saying about not gifting games applies, what that about sending players out of form back to the ressies!!!

PS. The time has come to introduce Doc into the midfield

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:18 am 
Craig Bradley

Pros:

Walsh, Saad, Weiters.
Great to see Cripps back to his best in the 1st half.
SOJ's and Casboult's 1st halves, and McDonald's 2nd half.
Murphy, Fisher and Gibbo all looked dangerous, especially in the 1st half when we were getting the ball forward more often. Gibbo probably the best.
Really liked Fogarty's game. Looks like we've found another one here.
Docherty was much better than his previous 2 outings, but his final 5 minutes were very poor.

Cons:

When did we last get through a game without losing one of our tall forwards?
Love us to try something a little more creative against Dusty. I know we needed SOJ up forward, but would have liked to see him get a go.
Really sick of Richmond kicking 4 goals in the last 5 minutes of games.
Harry's getting better, but we need him to believe he's a competition top-10 forward. Riewoldt's poise and finishing compared to Harry was pretty significant.
Too much was left to too few.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:58 am 
Stephen Kernahan

We cant allow the opposition to have twice as many centre clearances and expect to win the game.
It was a strength of ours previously but we were touched up by a midfield group that were 11th for centre clearances last year and they were without their captain.
That was the story. When we won it out of the middle we looked dangerous but we were smashed at the centre bounces.
Just like the game against St Kilda, all of our mids go to the ball and the opposition wait for the pill to spill out and off they go. Bolton had a picnic. Dumb footy that should have been rectified before Thursday.
Also, it's pointless having Cripps on the defensive side of the stoppage because the opposition breeze past him. We need someone there that can play more of a sweepers role or roll the dice and burst a half back in to apply pressure coming the other way.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:18 am 
Bob Chitty

WOW wrote:
GMCbris wrote:
We were smashed in the ruck, with a little more ball out of the middle we would have applied more pressure. Pitto battled but was outclassed

Pitto is so cumbersome

Apart from a few good games early last year has been ordinary

Lost it in the centre. Too many easy clearances.

We certainly can't win a flag with him as No.1 ruck. But I don't believe we intended him to be. He is back up for the transition between Krooz and TdK.
He is what he is.
Certainly it would help if our young midfielders can get going in the square.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:21 am 
Bob Chitty

bluedog wrote:
Murphy started well...

And as the game wore on his involvements became less and less beneficial for us.
Can't resist the urge to reiterate we would have had better years if Simmo was captain and not him...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:45 am 
Bob Chitty

On Levi...
Was at the Saints praccy match and one conclusion for me was that we had no chance if beating Richmond if Levi didn't play. He played and we were a chance.
Clearly not match ready - fitness, timing, decision-making - but he gave us a lot of what we needed: contests, hit some bodies, an outlet target from defence, a forward target, a second ruck.
Don't know what the option was apart from him.
He will be better for the run.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:50 am 
Bob Chitty

Re Harry...
He needs a psycholgist. He had success early with a set shot then stopped believing he could do it again.
He does look physically stronger but did get moved under the ball a bit too often.
However, quite a few times long kicks in to him he had multiple defenders but then no crummers, especially as the night wore on. He has talent but he's not a freak. He needs more belief but we still have to work with him better - I think that is where Eddie provides value.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:42 am 
Ken Hunter

Blue Vain wrote:
We cant allow the opposition to have twice as many centre clearances and expect to win the game.
It was a strength of ours previously but we were touched up by a midfield group that were 11th for centre clearances last year and they were without their captain.
That was the story. When we won it out of the middle we looked dangerous but we were smashed at the centre bounces.
Just like the game against St Kilda, all of our mids go to the ball and the opposition wait for the pill to spill out and off they go. Bolton had a picnic. Dumb footy that should have been rectified before Thursday.
Also, it's pointless having Cripps on the defensive side of the stoppage because the opposition breeze past him. We need someone there that can play more of a sweepers role or roll the dice and burst a half back in to apply pressure coming the other way.

Again. :clap:
Our stoppage coach has a lot to answer here.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:00 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

BigGartos wrote:
On Levi...
Was at the Saints praccy match and one conclusion for me was that we had no chance if beating Richmond if Levi didn't play. He played and we were a chance.
Clearly not match ready - fitness, timing, decision-making - but he gave us a lot of what we needed: contests, hit some bodies, an outlet target from defence, a forward target, a second ruck.
Don't know what the option was apart from him.
He will be better for the run.

I agree

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:51 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
GWS wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
He has a point

Sakc Barker and replace him with John Kreese. Walsh should have swept the leg instead of trying to tackle Martin.

Cornes comes from the Garry Lyon school where he'll comment, but doesn't wish to enter the coach's box.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:55 pm 
Geoff Southby

No such thing as an honourable loss,but jeez,Dusty played a blinder and all the Tiger good player's performed.They where at the top of there game and just beat us.We had our chances.So,all in all it gives us hope.................but as many of you blokes have already mentioned,it counts for zilch if we don't butter up and beat the morale sapped Pies.............................actually,i found the channel 7 commentary fascinating.Brian Taylor is a good fair commentator with a nice dry sense of humour.The special comments man Luke Hodge had me guessing.He knew the Carlton side like the back of his hand.He was so Carlton focussed it was like he was coaching the side from the commentary box.It was like a job interview with him presenting to our board like he knew the answers to our side..........Sorta Kevin Sheedy like who started out in the media to launch him into the Essendon* job............really fascinating commentary fro Hodge i thought.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next