Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:02 pm 
Geoff Southby

Its a yeah nah from me...................ok at times and ordinary at others.Still no help for Cripps which for mine is a massive concern.........................The Saints seem to have big wraps on them..........Boom side ? you must be joking.Not a bad side who play pretty well but Boom side no way.I reckon an inform Clarkson would rip "em to shreds...........the most impressive Saint ? i reckon that would be Simon Lethlean.Shit he's got a look about him watching in the background with that half menacing half evil look.Sorta the AFL's Peter V"Landy's style.Lethlean looks like a bloke who gets it done no matter what.A sinister looking prick if i ever saw one.

Anyhow,nice to see Williams in our colours.A nice handy player.Is it wishful thinking or is Paddy Dow coming good.Hears hoping it is not a mirage and he is on his way.Well Jack aint as good as his old man or his Pop but shit he puts in.Does anyone try harder ? don't reckon Jack is a fringe player myself in fact i think he is ESSENTIAL to the team for shear example if nothing else.For faaark sake SOS lighten up.Dont put the weight of the world on your kids shoulders.Nice little hip and shoulder from Joe.And timely too.The kid is a credit to you and Joe SOS so chill out ,relax and enjoys this great young bloke rise through the ranks....................now i will get off my soap box.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:23 pm 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
cecil89 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
verbs wrote:
Effes wrote:
Fogarty hasn't shown much so far.

Martin ditto

I thought Martin was all class and hard at it all night

Haven’t followed your stuff closely enough to know for sure, but I assume you’re taking the piss here? That’s the worst he’s played in a navy guernsey.

I keep hearing how bad he is for the money he is paid.

It's done. Front loaded. I'm not taking the piss.

We all see things differently.

I will have another look at the game over the weekend. Maybe I missed a few things he didn't do or didn't do right. I liked all the things he did do right.

Not contract related at all for me. I’m a fan. Have been for some time. Thought he had a shocker last night though. Fumbled a lot and didn’t get near it enough.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:38 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

The ressies:

Quote:
Final siren.

We come out on top today against the Saints.

Owies, Carroll and Parks showing plenty.

GOALS: Owies 3, Betts 2, Gibbons 2, Carroll, Crocker, Kennedy, Stocker.

CARL 74
STK 66

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Can't play SPS, Docherty and Saad in the same back half. All three trying to play the same role with zero accountability.

Saad's first half manning Billings at the stoppages, in particular, was poor. He got lucky twice where Billings got goal side and a teammate put a block on Saad, only for a ruck free kick and a smothered kick instead.

Get the feeling we'll continue to persist with this for about half the year, because we'll smash crap sides on the rebound, despite getting torn up by sides who have a decent inside 50 set up.

Liked O-Mac's game. First time I've seen him as a forward, think he can play the Levi role pretty well - showed a lot more urgency when he presented high up the ground, and there's probably a slight upside to his ruckwork. He's certainly ahead of Moore. I'd have him in for round 1 with the injury concerns.

Don't think Murphy is a certainty for round 1 either.

GREAT POINT SPOOKY

Teague better not stick to a losing strategy

With 6-6-6 rule and standing the mark, we have to be more accountable than last night.

Murphy's defensive running is hopeless, but he is a smart operator in the forwardline otherwise: downhill skiier.

There's a few players whose defensive running is questionable AND can we stop this decade long strategy since before the list turnover of corralling players.

FFS close down the space and with that time AND they might stick a few tackles...these are 1%ers all the top teams do.

We shouldn't be coralling....otherwise there will be NO perceived pressure

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:53 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Had a few chats today with Bluebaggers, about Martin and Cecil, you are not on your own. Some say he wasn't involved enough but not the fumbling bit. That could be true, but the ball hardly went to our forwardline, or when it did not towards Martin. We still bomb it too much.

I'm not going to watch replay till Sunday, but I thought he was classy with good hands... and didnd't notice too many fumbles. Probably because I saw Doc and Cripps fumbling worse and they took my attention....and there was others too.

Sorry to highlight your name.

My response couldnt be submitted because cant embed 5 messages bla bla bla

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

verbs wrote:
The ressies:

Quote:
Final siren.

We come out on top today against the Saints.

Owies, Carroll and Parks showing plenty.

GOALS: Owies 3, Betts 2, Gibbons 2, Carroll, Crocker, Kennedy, Stocker.

CARL 74
STK 66

Thanks verbs :thumbsup:

Great news re new guys

Owies keeps finding the goals.

Gibbons.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:57 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Mickstar wrote:
Its a yeah nah from me...................ok at times and ordinary at others.Still no help for Cripps which for mine is a massive concern.........................The Saints seem to have big wraps on them..........Boom side ? you must be joking.Not a bad side who play pretty well but Boom side no way.I reckon an inform Clarkson would rip "em to shreds...........the most impressive Saint ? i reckon that would be Simon Lethlean.Shit he's got a look about him watching in the background with that half menacing half evil look.Sorta the AFL's Peter V"Landy's style.Lethlean looks like a bloke who gets it done no matter what.A sinister looking prick if i ever saw one.

Anyhow,nice to see Williams in our colours.A nice handy player.Is it wishful thinking or is Paddy Dow coming good.Hears hoping it is not a mirage and he is on his way.Well Jack aint as good as his old man or his Pop but shit he puts in.Does anyone try harder ? don't reckon Jack is a fringe player myself in fact i think he is ESSENTIAL to the team for shear example if nothing else.For faaark sake SOS lighten up.Dont put the weight of the world on your kids shoulders.Nice little hip and shoulder from Joe.And timely too.The kid is a credit to you and Joe SOS so chill out ,relax and enjoys this great young bloke rise through the ranks....................now i will get off my soap box.

Beautiful remark. Agree

I think the Saints are a damn good side on the way up.

They are quick ...really quick...and have a good spread of talls

Marshall/ Ryder would have given them an armchair ride imo.

Pitto was fantastic against the kid.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:58 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

rhino27 wrote:
bluechampion wrote:
Williamson played himself out of the round 1 team.
Silvagni played himself in.
Moore is a spud.

Pretty much.
Haven't done my round 1 team, but it will have J-SOS. Unlikely to have Willo and don't think I'd be playing Eddie or Gov either regardless of fitness.

me too

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:05 pm 
Craig Bradley

I agree with Cecil big Martin fan but was ordinary last night and no influence on the game
One really good tackle in the 4th otherwise disappointing
Martin Cripps Willo plowman Fogarty all below para I reckon
A few others were not great either
Doc and Saad very loose on Aints small forwards early

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:35 pm 
Bob Chitty

Pros:
- Thought the performance, while deficient in certain areas, was fairly good considering the Saints play Marvel well and look poised to be around the top 6. Suspect they’ll be very difficult to play at Marvel for all teams due to their speed.
- We manufactured 15 goals without a genuine number 1 or number 2 key forward.
- JSOS and Fisher up forward. Fisher was already a lock for round 1. JSOS should have cemented his place as the third tall forward over Gov for round 1.
- Thought Dow was very crafty by hand and also probably has cemented his spot for round 1.
- Really likes Williams’ game - will be huge if he can continue to hit the scoreboard.
- Pitto stood tall, albeit not against a great direct opponent.
- McDonald staked his claim as a swingman. He’s got Moore covered at this stage IMO.
- Setterfield looks like taking another leap forward this year.

Cons:
- Very average defensively. I’m hoping a bit of this is attributable to it being pre-season as at about halfway through the first quarter a combined 4 tackles had been laid between the teams. My worry is that it becomes a pattern.
- Half backs didn’t really defend and were found out, especially early. Not sure who was on Higgins, he seemed to be everywhere.
- We can’t buy a fit key forward. Sounds like H will probably be ok but hardly an ideal prep. Levi needs to play round 1 as the second tall as he provides a bail out, makes a contest in the air and can back up well in the ruck.
- Martin, amongst a few others, was very quiet. Need more from him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:55 pm 
Harry Vallence

For Round 1
Back 7 Locked in, Weitering, Jones, Plowman, Docherty, SPS, Saad, Willo
Mids/Ruck 8 Locked in: Pitto, Cripps, Williams, Ed, Walsh, Dow, Setters, Newnes (if fit)
Forwards 6 locked in: McKay (assume fit), Fish, Murphy, Martin, Levi/Oscar (as ruck/2nd tall fwd), JSOS

Cusp - One or Two of Betts, Gov, Fogarty, O'Brien, Cunningham, Gibbons

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:02 pm 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
Had a few chats today with Bluebaggers, about Martin and Cecil, you are not on your own. Some say he wasn't involved enough but not the fumbling bit. That could be true, but the ball hardly went to our forwardline, or when it did not towards Martin. We still bomb it too much.

I'm not going to watch replay till Sunday, but I thought he was classy with good hands... and didnd't notice too many fumbles. Probably because I saw Doc and Cripps fumbling worse and they took my attention....and there was others too.

Sorry to highlight your name.

My response couldnt be submitted because cant embed 5 messages bla bla bla

All good :thumbsup:

In fairness I seem to be on my Pat Malone re. thinking Fogarty played well, so we all see it differently.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:09 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Mickstar wrote:

On point with my thoughts again Mick.

St kilda looks to me like the kind of side that will be something like 9-0 in the regular season, top4 all year then straight sets it, getting pumped in at least one of them.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:08 pm 
Banned

To me it looks like Saints are hitting top form early in the season while we are working on some things.

I'd be an interested fly on the wall during match committee meetings. I am dearly hoping the discussions are" how are we going to get this team hit top form later stages in the season?". IMO it will be the last six rounds that will dictate whether we play finals. If we start with some wins early on average form, I will be very happy indeed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:16 pm 
Ken Hunter

I wasn't able to watch the game.

Any unbiased report on Plowman's game would be appreciated.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:50 pm 
Robert Walls

Beijing Blue wrote:
Stefchook wrote:
Pros:

Jones and Setterfield were my best.
Walsh, Williams and Pittonet.
Fisher and Murphy look really dangerous.
Dow's hands were exceptional. Building nicely.
2nd half of SOJ and Saad.
1st half of McDonald.
Nice flashes from LOB, apart from that awful effort in a marking contest in the opposition goalsquare.

Cons:

It'd be nice to get through a game with a couple of tall forwards.
I know it was only a practice match, but how often do we seem to go into games only concerned with how we want to play, and giving no attention to the opposition? We lost the game because we refused to leave a defender behind the ball, and allowed them to score easy goals out the back.
I know we were short on tall forwards, but the entries into forward 50 were terrible. Kept kicking it to opposition defenders.
Apart from Jones, defence were pretty average. Docherty got a lot of it, but absolutely butchered it.
Fair bit of flopping and lunging from Saints forwards. Also holding the ball only seemed to be paid against us.

Fair summation. Docherty is a worry. Very slow and dreadful kicking. In fact our foot skills are very poor overall. SPS an exception.

Still early with much to improve on.

Time to move him into the middle...and stay there for remainder of career

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:57 pm 
Robert Walls

We were playing at 50%
It was a praccy match
Teague is keeping his cards close to his chest
Bring on the Tiges
My gut feel is that Stocker will play...and SURPRISE!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:22 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Jon Ralph
@RalphyHeraldSun

I understand Hunter Clark had a concussion test post-match after his hit by Zach Williams. He passed the SCAT test but almost certainly its enough to elevate the force. Looks likely to miss Round 1 against Tigers.
The look of the hit, the reality he jumped off the ground and the fact it was forceful enough to require a concussion test (which he passed) all cumulatively add up to what is likely to be medium impact and a week’s suspension

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:01 pm 
Banned

bluedog wrote:
I wasn't able to watch the game.

Any unbiased report on Plowman's game would be appreciated.

Not sure what you're looking for as Plow is a popular player on this board but I think he did his stopper job well. Killed almost everything in the air - was never loose on his opponents but always plays on zippy players like Higgins. When he got the ball hit his targets... he is what he is a non flashy stopper.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:04 pm 
Banned

Effes wrote:
Jon Ralph
@RalphyHeraldSun

I understand Hunter Clark had a concussion test post-match after his hit by Zach Williams. He passed the SCAT test but almost certainly its enough to elevate the force. Looks likely to miss Round 1 against Tigers.
The look of the hit, the reality he jumped off the ground and the fact it was forceful enough to require a concussion test (which he passed) all cumulatively add up to what is likely to be medium impact and a week’s suspension

Yeah fair enough. Dumb by Zac good opportunity for Dow to shine

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next