Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: 2021 Community Series
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:41 pm 
Wayne Johnston

jezzarules wrote:
Simplest way to open the game up is reduce the number of players on the field.

That would also fix the problem of too many list cloggers and keep more quality in the lower leagues. We have too many teams and too many players at the top level.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:41 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:40 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Is there another sport that flowers with their rules as much as AFL? Is there another sport that goes even close?
If games are decided because of this new rule in R1, well, honestly I don't know what to say.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:42 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Common sense should prevail. Should be 15m penalty in R1, then 30m in R2, then 50m in R3 onwards.

Coaches should train their players to learn to deal with the new rule.
I suggest having players stand the mark naked, with string attached to their testicles, and if they move even the slightest their balls get ripped off.
That ought to work.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:48 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I changed the pw on the phone on Monday and I am still having trouble remembering to enter the new pw.

Human's build habits that are not that easily broken.

With reduced pre-season I don't think clubs should have to waste valuable training time on one rule.

In the heat of battle some players will forget the new rule.

The penalty should not be so hard so early in the season.
The AFL makey uppey so that can makey uppey the penalties early in the year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:49 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Paddycripps wrote:
Common sense should prevail. Should be 15m penalty in R1, then 30m in R2, then 50m in R3 onwards.

I suggest having players stand the mark naked, with string attached to their testicles, and if they move even the slightest their balls get ripped off.
That ought to work.

Smartest thing Ive heard on the subject...given they are going ahead with this rule.

Still think 50m penalty resulting in a goal does not reflect the severity of the offense.

I guess I don't like 50m penalties other than against acts of physical violence.

I don't like games which are influenced by umpires/ umpire controversy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:53 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

That ought to work.

Smartest thing Ive heard on the subject...given they are going ahead with this rule.

Still think 50m penalty resulting in a goal does not reflect the severity of the offense.

I guess I don't like 50m penalties other than against acts of physical violence.

I don't like games which are influenced by umpires/ umpire controversy

I have never really liked the 50m penalty, I think it is too much, I think it should be 30m.

Sometimes when you hear coaches talk post-game, they rattle off stats etc, and you can tell what they are trying to say is it was just a few things that really separated the game, and you don't have to be Einstein to deduce sometimes that could be a 50m penalty and resultant goal.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:55 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

If you think about it, the move from 15m to 50m was a fair bloody jump, right?!
I get it, 15m wasn't enough of a penalty, to stop professional frees, but 50m, geez, that is significant, especially for relatively minor indiscretions which result in goals.
And esp these days with games often producing lower scores, though, I get it, this new rule is designed to free the game up.
But my ppoint still stands, 15 to 50 was a big leap.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:27 pm 
Craig Bradley

Paddycripps wrote:
I get it, 15m wasn't enough of a penalty, to stop professional frees, but 50m, geez, that is significant, especially for relatively minor indiscretions which result in goals.
And esp these days with games often producing lower scores, though, I get it, this new rule is designed to free the game up.

There was discussion about introducing a 25m penalty to give the umpires some level of discretion, with a 50m for sever infractions. But then they felt umpires would never give a 50m.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:28 pm 
Geoff Southby

Paddycripps wrote:

Sheedy introduced the "professional" free to stop the mosquito fleet. He figured 15mtr was a small price to pay to stop them.

Unfortunately he was right.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:00 pm 
Ken Hunter

Can someone tell me what would stop say a Clarkson from setting up another player behind the man on the mark to cover the wider option? We know he started the shepherding the man on the mark to allow a flow.....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:09 pm 
Wayne Johnston

jezzarules wrote:

https://twitter.com/TitusOReily/status/ ... 0938696708

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:11 pm 
Wayne Johnston

SurreyBlue wrote:
Can someone tell me what would stop say a Clarkson from setting up another player behind the man on the mark to cover the wider option? We know he started the shepherding the man on the mark to allow a flow.....

I think the rule says no other player is to come near the man on the mark, so they’ve already thought of that response....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:28 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Do they define “near”?

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:15 pm 
Geoff Southby

Pretty experienced squad. Hope Stocker, Dow and O'Brien have a good game and build some confidence
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/86746 ... 3G_QSDE-sQ

Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:12 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

sinbagger wrote:
jezzarules wrote:

Gold!.....

and spot on

Go Blues

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:56 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

sinbagger wrote:
jezzarules wrote:

If the instinct to move off the mark continues, as it will for some, and for fatigued players who forget about the rule, they may be instructed to just sit on their bum at the mark till they hear the umpire call play on. Its what the rule basically states.

A Netball foul require the offending player to stand, mute, next to the player with the ball to start play. Once ball is in play that player is allowed back in the fold.

The game has been changed soooo much by the last 3 of the Commission's regimes, our forefathers, let alone us who've watched the game for 40 or 50 years don't recognise the game any more, and know the essence of the game has been vandalised.

Yeah, facilities and media coverage, and wages and stadiums are better today than in the past, not because of the Commission, moreso to do with the $ the media have invested in the code (exclusively AFL), but imo the game has turned into rugby, and many of the local competitions have suffered or killed off by ther AFL.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:03 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

WE will get a look at a few players on the cusp of selection:

Good to see Stocker Dow O'Brien playing today. How many minutes? May play a half?

We will get a look at Oscar and Moore, both trying to win over that last spot on the list.

Have a feeling Oscar will play both ends at different stages of the game given Levi, Curnow and Gov aren't playing. Ditto Moore.

With Betts out, I'm surprised Durdin isn't playing. Fisher therefore to show his wares and place in the pecking order for small forwards role.

Players have been going in hard in intra club simulation games, so I expect them to hit Effendruggies* even harder as they try to consolidate a spot in round 1 best 22.

Go Blues

Can't wait for the action

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:11 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

With only one hit out left against another team next week (v Saints), I expect Kennedy to be given a chance to shine....or he's really on the periphery.

I guess Durdin, Parks and Cottrell will be looked at too. At least Durdin should, given his impressive effort at training.

Maybe last year's golden boy Honey and this years "lucky snag" in Cottrell will be developing this year.

Ramsay Owies .... who knows ... both got to show their wares last year in the preseason games. Been taken over? Ramsay is quick

Pity Philp is injured. His speed in a year or two will just make us harder to catch.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:13 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Ben Crocker was added to the list of players vying for the SSP pick.

Maybe he and Maher will get a look in next game ... or they will not likely be with us come round 1.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next