Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:08 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

this is as good a place to put it

https://www.afl.com.au/news/547841/bigg ... ac-s-scare

Levi down - Moore the only ruckman and he is not on list
McGov - injured still
Marchbank - still injured

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:00 pm 
Geoff Southby

Fingers crossed the Levi injury is only minor.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:17 pm 
Banned

aboynamedsue wrote:

Levi is fine been playing match simulation full body contact

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:40 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Walsh wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

Levi is fine been playing match simulation full body contact
Did you read article
Finished the game on the bench with ice pack on his knee

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:38 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

camel wrote:
dane wrote:
Should know where we are early.

Like that time we beat the Swans by 100pt in pre-season and we went on to finish last and they won the flag?
We must have had some bad luck through the season.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:11 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Marchbank and McG injured, some things never change.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:24 pm 
Rod Ashman

Not sure where to put this - but a significant rule change! (after the ad - my apologies for including a bombers clip...)
I can see 25 50m penalties in the opening games...

https://www.theroar.com.au/afl/video/bombers-intra-club-shows-just-how-tough-the-new-man-on-the-mark-laws-are-1114949/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:31 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Arnhem blues wrote:
Not sure where to put this - but a significant rule change! (after the ad - my apologies for including a bombers clip...)

https://www.theroar.com.au/afl/video/bombers-intra-club-shows-just-how-tough-the-new-man-on-the-mark-laws-are-1114949/

The headline states 'how tough it is? :lol:

FMD, the player has to stand still on the mark. These players are full time footballers working on their craft 6 days per week. If the players cant grasp it, the coaches should be sacked. I heard Ratts whinging about it a couple of weeks ago. My message? Do your @#$%&! job Ratts. It's not hard. Get grown men to stand still on the mark. That's the full extent of it

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:42 pm 
Rod Ashman

:smile: tough love from BV!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:41 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

:lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:19 pm 
Bruce Doull

Spot on BV

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:16 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
Arnhem blues wrote:

FMD, the player has to stand still on the mark. These players are full time footballers working on their craft 6 days per week. If the players cant grasp it, the coaches should be sacked. I heard Ratts whinging about it a couple of weeks ago. My message? Do your @#$%&! job Ratts. It's not hard. Get grown men to stand still on the mark. That's the full extent of it

I agree, they players should learn, but waiting for the "late" whistle from the umpire for adjudication looks like one huge problem to me. The first free from the Effendrug* Intraclub game clearly shows Parish had already run off his line and the player on the mark just took a couple more side steps after Parish played on the cover him. He didn't even go over the mark, which is a rule the footy community has known and grown with for over 150 years.

Where the game is really being damaged imo is all these free, easy goals from 50 metre penalties (from new AFL rules)... and you've all heard the cry before "the result is just too harsh a penalty to pay for that".

Lets remember the success of the AFL's makey uppey rules (that never saw the light of day on a footy field in 150 years), are going to be determined by the umpires application of the rule. That's not fair on the umpires who have a hard enough game to adjudicate without new, maybe temporary rules, are introduced in the H & A season.

Dusty's fend off to the face and neck which has been adjudicated as "too high" (for 150 years) rewards him and raises him to a position of "deity" because no player has ever been able to do WHAT HE DOES....because they were not allowed.

Imagine if Big Nick was allowed to do the same fend offs as dusty? The game would be called Rugby IF THEY DID.

What I'm saying here is some umpires will pay the free and some wont. Its best to have both tewams playing against each other on an even playing field. Umpire interference damages the result of the game and becomes a controversial point for decades following. Shouldn't happen in the first place.

Goals should not be allowed from discretionary 50m penalties from these new introduced rules is my position. Reminds me of the problems newly introduced species have had in Australia, like Toads and rabbits. The answer to those problems was never " just deal with it".

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:23 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
Goals should not be allowed from discretionary 50m penalties from these new introduced rules is my position. Reminds me of the problems newly introduced species have had in Australia, like Toads and rabbits. The answer to those problems was never " just deal with it".

I can't agree Bondi. It's not a discretionary 50. It's a simple rule. Stand still until the umpire calls play on. 6 Year olds should be able to do it yet the coaches would have us believe it's difficult for full time footballers. :lol:
You break the rules, you pay the price. It's not that hard IMHO.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:35 am 
Ken Hunter

Blue Vain wrote:
Arnhem blues wrote:

:clap:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:12 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

I can't agree Bondi. It's not a discretionary 50. It's a simple rule. Stand still until the umpire calls play on. 6 Year olds should be able to do it yet the coaches would have us believe it's difficult for full time footballers. :lol:

I agree with the way you pitched it and I understand the rule. But you haven't followed my point. You've quoted my conclusion, not the reasoning behind it.

I'm just reflecting on the makey uppey nature of the AFL, and the annual changes they make have led to the problems of a rugby like game. This is another band aid or "trial". Hocking says so....today, in the HS. It doesn't stop the rugby look on the game. Isn't that the biggest issue? More Rugby mauls cause more collissions that causes more injury.

Furthermore from the footage provided, I commented that it proves the rule will only be as good as the umpire's call. The AFL are just making umpiring even harder than it already is. If an umpire doesn't call "play on" when a player with the ball moves off his line, then calls a free (because umpire was too slow to call "play on"....this is a discretionary 50m penalty given by the umpire to "saver face". If an umpire calls it back, then good on him....but they rarely do that.

Rules are easy to follow. It doesn't make them right.
Its not just a player problem. Its an umpiring problem too.
I bet we see umpires get this wrong, let alone the players.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:15 am 
John James

A live stream of Thursday's practice match against Essendon* will be available on the CFC website for members only from 11am.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:37 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

I agree with the way you pitched it and I understand the rule. But you haven't followed my point. You've quoted my conclusion, not the reasoning behind it.

I'm just reflecting on the makey uppey nature of the AFL, and the annual changes they make have led to the problems of a rugby like game. This is another band aid or "trial". Hocking says so....today, in the HS. It doesn't stop the rugby look on the game. Isn't that the biggest issue? More Rugby mauls cause more collissions that causes more injury.

Furthermore from the footage provided, I commented that it proves the rule will only be as good as the umpire's call. The AFL are just making umpiring even harder than it already is. If an umpire doesn't call "play on" when a player with the ball moves off his line, then calls a free (because umpire was too slow to call "play on"....this is a discretionary 50m penalty given by the umpire to "saver face". If an umpire calls it back, then good on him....but they rarely do that.
to

I share your frustration with the AFL "make uppy" strategy Bondi but IMHO, this could be a great rule. And it will stop mauls because it will reduce kicks to contests and slow plays which are a precursor to stoppages. It will enable more change of direction, faster movement of the ball, it will stretch zones which creates more room for forwards and the faster movement prevents teams getting players back to clog up space. IMHO, those ingredients will create higher scoring and scope for the dominant forwards to shine.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:40 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
bondiblue wrote:

to

I share your frustration with the AFL "make uppy" strategy Bondi but IMHO, this could be a great rule. And it will stop mauls because it will reduce kicks to contests and slow plays which are a precursor to stoppages. It will enable more change of direction, faster movement of the ball, it will stretch zones which creates more room for forwards and the faster movement prevents teams getting players back to clog up space. IMHO, those ingredients will create higher scoring and scope for the dominant forwards to shine.

This rule may be a good rule to some degree as you mention, "with faster movement and change of direction", but the AFL are not getting to the core of the problem with this rule change, as they expect, imo.

I don't mind the rule, but as I said, if the umpires fail to make the right decision when the player with the ball plays on, there's going to be a lot of controversy and a lot of heartache that the umpires influenced the result of the game.

Mauls will continue to happen because the umpires allow them. Aussie Rules was never allowed to look like rugby, hence the rules and directives to blow the whistle when a scrimage was created....to avoid ugly footy...or pay frees when they are there. This is what our forefathers of our great game decided a long time ago.

There will be mauls as long as the umpires are encouraged to allow them to happen. This what I want stopped and the game will be better for it....to go back to the roots of the game, and its very essence.

Like you said, and I agree, to a degree that..."it COULD be a great rule" . I hope so, then I hope the Commission addresses how this Commission has messed up the game and fix that. Somehow, this Teflon crew at the helm doesn't want to admit they get anything wrong...they just change rules ad hoc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:45 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Simplest way to open the game up is reduce the number of players on the field.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:00 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

jezzarules wrote:
Simplest way to open the game up is reduce the number of players on the field.

Get rid of coaches !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 279 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next