Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172  Next
 Post subject: Re: Our best 22?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:40 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

rhino27 wrote:
Admitedly I haven't done a best 22, but am sure it will be tough with Williams and Saad added to the list.
However, find it hard to see Ed not being in our best 22. Been one of our most if not most consistent performer in recent years.
Plays a role not many in our team can play. Will finish in the top 3 of our B&F this year and is a big chance to actually win it.

Ed, the running machine, gets to more contests than anyone. He adds an extra player in the next contest such is his running ability to get there.

Ed is more important than Murphy imo. He wont miss out in 2021, but he along with Murphy are in line to be taken over due to there age.

I expect 2021 to be Murphy's last, not so with Ed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:46 pm 
Ken Hunter

Love Ed but in 2021 and beyond, we shouldn’t be playing Ed in front of these 5 starting midfields or rotations. If we are, we aren’t balancing our midfield and / or moving forward.
Starting; Williams Cripps SpS Setterfield Walsh
Rotations: Kennedy Murphy Dow Williamson
Forward Mids: Martin Fisher

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:02 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
Love Ed but in 2021 and beyond, we shouldn’t be playing Ed in front of these 5 starting midfields or rotations. If we are, we aren’t balancing our midfield and / or moving forward.

Situational analysis has merit.

I don't think the MC will pick Kennedy ahead of Ed.
The Club are after finals, not just development.

2022 with a young one ot three stepping up (and theres heaps) and the Trade for Oliver or Merrett or an improvement, I can see Ed being phased out.

To think Kennedy (for age????) is ahead of Ed in 2021 is fanciful imo....but glad you think Kennedy is "in", the mids mix. I'm just guessing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:19 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Assuming Charlie is unavailable:

B: Plowman Jones Docherty
HB: Saad Weitering Marchbank
C: Setterfield Cripps Walsh
HF: JSOS McGovern Martin
F: Fisher Harry Philp
R: TDK Ed Curnow Williams
Int: SPS Levi Newnes Murphy

- Hopefully Stocker and Kemp can force their way into the side
- In reserve: Pittonet, Newman, Stocker, Kemp, Williamson, Cunningham, Gibbons, Betts, Fogarty, Honey, Kennedy, Dow, LOB, Ramsay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

http://jimmae.epizy.com/teamboard.html

Though Jimmae had taken it down!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:58 pm 
Craig Bradley

Backs: Weitering, Jones, Plowman, Docherty, Saad, Newman

Mids: Pittonet, Cripps, Walsh, Williams, Petrevski-Seton, Curnow... Setterfield, Murphy, Newnes

Forwards: McKay, Casboult, McGovern, Silvagni, Martin, Fisher... Betts

Newman is probably a bit of a 'forgotten' man with Saad & Williams coming into the side. I think he defends well enough, but I like him most for kick in duties. He can really hammer it & with the afore-mentioned runners joining SPS at the foot of the resulting contest, I like our chances of pressing forward should the ball come to ground. It's not that he (Newman) is the first choice for that role, he's the only choice. Williamson and Marchbank are the reserves, but either one of them would require a completely new set up.

With both Charlie & Kemp missing for the first half of the season (at best), that defensive rebound is, really, the only significant improvement to the side. Durdin might unseat Betts & Fisher for the small forward role, but there's no significant structural change there. We're still resigned to a 'balanced' attack with two bigs, two mids and two smalls. At least with Silvagni back in the side, we have a high quality defensive forward.

Setterfield, Murphy and Newnes off the bench reflects the dire state of our 'known' midfield stocks. I like Setters (and he's obviously 'safe' in the side), but he just fumbles too much. Cunningham, Gibbons & Kennedy are ok reserves, but struggle to find the contest let alone the footy. The jury is still out on Stocker, Philp and Fogarty, with Carroll and Ramsay still sight unseen. There are significant, valid, question marks around Dow and O'Brien with only the former given any hope of answering the challenge.

All in all, i'd say there are at least two forward and two midfield spots up for grabs.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:11 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Crusader wrote:
Backs: Weitering, Jones, Plowman, Docherty, Saad, Newman

Mids: Pittonet, Cripps, Walsh, Williams, Petrevski-Seton, Curnow... Setterfield, Murphy, Newnes

Forwards: McKay, Casboult, McGovern, Silvagni, Martin, Fisher... Betts

Newman is probably a bit of a 'forgotten' man with Saad & Williams coming into the side. I think he defends well enough, but I like him most for kick in duties. He can really hammer it & with the afore-mentioned runners joining SPS at the foot of the resulting contest, I like our chances of pressing forward should the ball come to ground. It's not that he (Newman) is the first choice for that role, he's the only choice. Williamson and Marchbank are the reserves, but either one of them would require a completely new set up.

With both Charlie & Kemp missing for the first half of the season (at best), that defensive rebound is, really, the only significant improvement to the side. Durdin might unseat Betts & Fisher for the small forward role, but there's no significant structural change there. We're still resigned to a 'balanced' attack with two bigs, two mids and two smalls. At least with Silvagni back in the side, we have a high quality defensive forward.

Setterfield, Murphy and Newnes off the bench reflects the dire state of our 'known' midfield stocks. I like Setters (and he's obviously 'safe' in the side), but he just fumbles too much. Cunningham, Gibbons & Kennedy are ok reserves, but struggle to find the contest let alone the footy. The jury is still out on Stocker, Philp and Fogarty, with Carroll and Ramsay still sight unseen. There are significant, valid, question marks around Dow and O'Brien with only the former given any hope of answering the challenge.

All in all, i'd say there are at least two forward and two midfield spots up for grabs.

With so much depth I think Newman will struggle to be picked if all backmen are fit and available.

Saad, Docherty, SPS tump him imo. Add Williamson to that mix, and gets tougher ... and there will be more pressure for a spot from Stocker and Kemp when he's fit again.

He's coming back from serious leg injury. He wasn't quick before. I hope he hasn't lost any pace post op.

Good luck to all of the abovementioned. I think they are all quality AFL players ... no dead wood there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:03 pm 
Banned

The way injuries are at the moment and lack of pre season in some. Rd1/

B: Plowman Jones Williamson
HB: Docherty Weitering Saad
HF: Martin Casboult Gibbons
F: Murphy McKay Fisher
R: Pittonet Curnow Williams
IC: Silvagni, Newnes, SPS, Stocker
E: Dow, O'Brien, Cottrell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

35 Players competing for 22 positions.
Pressure for spots is ideal for a team focussed on playing Finals.

My Best for Season 2021, before watching for form in preseason games vs Saints and Drug cheats*

B: Plowman Jones Docherty
HB: SPS Weitering Saad

C: Williamson Walsh Setterfield
R: De Koning Cripps Williams

HF: Martin McKay Murphy
F: Betts C.Curnow Casboult

IC: Marchbank E.Curnow Fisher Fogarty

E: Silvagni Newnes

I have a feeling Fogarty will be the preseason standout.
Hard at it player like Newnes and Silvagni

I don't expect C.Curnow, Marchbank, De Koning to be available in round 1
I expect Pittonet, Silvagni and Newnes to take their spots.

I'm expecting Dow and Durdin to push for round 1 selection.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:09 pm 
Ken Hunter

bondiblue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Situational analysis has merit.

I don't think the MC will pick Kennedy ahead of Ed.
The Club are after finals, not just development.

2022 with a young one ot three stepping up (and theres heaps) and the Trade for Oliver or Merrett or an improvement, I can see Ed being phased out.

To think Kennedy (for age????) is ahead of Ed in 2021 is fanciful imo....but glad you think Kennedy is "in", the mids mix. I'm just guessing

..I agree, Ed is the first full time midfielder picked along with Cripps.. ....Kennedy I would have as a forward.. ..by far our most efficient, and smartest forward.. ..I'd use him and JoS as half forwards running as links to deep forwards as well as resting deep..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:50 pm 
Geoff Southby

Why is everyone a fan of Williamson. What has he actually done to earn the love.

Sure he is continually showing glimpses especially with his beautiful left foot but a breakout game he has not.

IMO only this is a special year for him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Why is everyone a fan of Williamson. What has he actually done to earn the love.

Sure he is continually showing glimpses especially with his beautiful left foot but a breakout game he has not.

There are a heap who have had the honeymoon and now it is time to step up.
Fisher
Cunningham
JSOS
SPS
Williamson
Harry
McGovern
Kennedy
Dow
Obrien
Stocker

If these guys all play to their potential then happy days.
If they tread water we are in trouble

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:31 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Teddy Hopkins wrote:

I've been a critic of Willo for a long time and held the same view.
I still do ... if he's left to play on the last line of defence.
He has no right foot and in the last line he can be corralled onto the right and he's a liability in that position, imo.

Willo plays his best at HBF, and it seems he may just be the defensive wingman we've needed.
Its a position he can use his pace and his long accurate passes into the forward 50.
He needs space to work with and get out of trouble, imo.

I still have my doubts with him, along with a list of players Sydney Blue just noted above post.
Of SB's list I have no doubt Harry and SPS will make the grade.
I also see JSOS with most flexibility in that list, which is a weapon for us in this era.
Of the rest, along with Willo, I need to see more to be convinced their name deserves to be in best 22 week in week out.

We finished 11th in 2020.
I've got Willo on a wing in my best 22.
I think that says it all.
We haven't made finals for a reason: SOS picked players who may not make it, or will, with a bit more development.

It has been too early to write off players, but once they turn 23yo, I think its time to judge them with a harsher eye.

I like your post teddy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:58 pm 
Banned

Round 1 team

B: Docherty Jones Plowman
HF: Martin Casboult Murphy
F: JSOS McKay Fisher
R: Pitto Curnow Williams
IC: Dow Fogarty Newnes Cunningham
E: McDonald Betts Williamson

On pre season form key players Weitering, McKay, Martin, Cripps need to lift their output.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:56 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Williamson needs to improve a lot but we always play a 7th defender for rotations. With Newman injured, our options are limited.
Setterfield's value is as a wing/midfielder and Newnes is a goal kicking offensive midfielder. Parkes looks likely but he's more a third tall intercepting player. Unless Stocker gets his fitness to AFL level, Willo is getting a game IMHO.
At least until some of our youngsters like Philp are fit enough to be trialled there in the VFL

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:41 am 
Ken Hands

Walsh wrote:
Round 1 team

On pre season form key players Weitering, McKay, Martin, Cripps need to lift their output.

Agree with that though I’d have Gibbons over Fogarty. If Williams is rubbed out I’d then play Williamson.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:39 am 
Geoff Southby

Walsh wrote:
Round 1 team

Same, except I think Willo will play for the reason BV said. Fogarty or Cunners to come out (or Newnes, if he is injured).

Levi is an important player for our structure, I really hope he’s available. Same with Weitering.

Even if McGovern is fit, I would pick SOJ ahead of him at the moment. Making McGovern force his way into the team via the VFL wouldn’t be a bad thing. Although McGovern gets a game if Harry is not right - I would rather we hold Harry back and get him right than play him and have him carry an injury into the season.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:33 am 
Ken Hunter

Walsh wrote:
Round 1 team

Betts and Williamson for Newnes & probably Cuningham.
Let’s hope Williams plays.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:22 am 
Bob Chitty

aboynamedsue wrote:
Walsh wrote:
Round 1 team

Same, except I think Willo will play for the reason BV said. Fogarty or Cunners to come out (or Newnes, if he is injured).

Levi is an important player for our structure, I really hope he’s available. Same with Weitering.

Even if McGovern is fit, I would pick SOJ ahead of him at the moment. Making McGovern force his way into the team via the VFL wouldn’t be a bad thing. Although McGovern gets a game if Harry is not right - I would rather we hold Harry back and get him right than play him and have him carry an injury into the season.

I’m seeing it the same way ABNS.

Subject to injury and suspension, it looks like it’ll be the 22 that started on Thursday with Levi in for McDonald and a toss of the coin between Fogarty and Cunners for the final spot.

Would also make Gov earn it through the 2s. JSOS was great on Thursday and has earned the right to start as the third tall forward. Gov needs match practice and to push his way in on form.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:53 pm 
Harry Vallence

Saw Harry at DFO yesterday. Seemed to be walking fine which is a good sign.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172  Next