Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:26 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Season 2021 expectations
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:26 am 
Bruce Doull

David King reckons we're about to go BANG!

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2020/11/23/ ... 2021-king/

Quote:
“They’re adding to the edges. They’ve got a great spine. Carlton’s not going to gradually bring their way up the ladder, they’re just going to go bang.

“They’re going to take a giant stride. I’m excited by Carlton.”

I mean, that'd be nice, but let's see if we can keep our guys fit and hopefully the results will look after themselves.

I'd prefer results over hype.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:45 am 
Bruce Doull

Perfect setup from Kingy there to kick us if we fail.

As for my expecations, I predict we'll do these:
- lose games we should win
- win games we should lose
- give up big leads
- peg back big leads
- kick more behinds than goals
- barely (if at all) see Charlie or Marchbank on the field
- likely lose another 1-2 key players with long-term injuries
- have to rely too much on Casboult at either end
- wonder why Marc Murphy and Mitch McGovern keep getting games
- lament lack of support for Crippa, and our young midfield brigade (Dow, LOB, Stocker, Cuningham etc) still failing to make an impact

Yeah, I'm jaded :lol:

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:57 am 
Bruce Doull

Donstuie wrote:

He even admitted that himself :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:32 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Keep the very high forward press. Williams and Saad will be so damaging if they start racking up possessions forward of centre.

Fix the lapses. Do that and the results will take care of themselves. I’d suggest recognising the change in momentum and making necessary changes a lot earlier.

Dow and Stocker to build AFL standard endurance.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:35 am 
Geoff Southby

Sin City wrote:
Keep the very high forward press. Williams and Saad will be so damaging if they start racking up possessions forward of centre.

Fix the lapses. Do that and the results will take care of themselves. I’d suggest recognising the change in momentum and making necessary changes a lot earlier.

Are those expectations or a wish list?
:wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:56 am 
Geoff Southby

camel wrote:

Quote:
“They’re adding to the edges. They’ve got a great spine. Carlton’s not going to gradually bring their way up the ladder, they’re just going to go bang.

I mean, that'd be nice, but let's see if we can keep our guys fit and hopefully the results will look after themselves.

I think our spine is OK but overrated....

Weitering is a gun. Jones is the girl with the curl. Charlie hasn’t played for 18 months. Harry is developing.

And there’s not a lot KP talent in reserve - TDK & Pittonet are ruckmen who haven’t shown anything yet as KP players, Marchbank is more a 3rd tall type (and often injured anyway), McGovern is inconsistent and Levi is nearing the end.

Kemp is the unknown. He could be the talented young KP we need, but we don’t know much about him yet.

We’ve invested in quick flankers this offseason. Unless Curly Jr has an ace up his sleeve, I reckon we’re heading into 2021 a little short on KP and midfield depth.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:32 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Donstuie wrote:

As for my expecations, I predict we'll do these:
- lose games we should win
- win games we should lose
- give up big leads
- peg back big leads
- kick more behinds than goals
- barely (if at all) see Charlie or Marchbank on the field
- likely lose another 1-2 key players with long-term injuries
- have to rely too much on Casboult at either end
- wonder why Marc Murphy and Mitch McGovern keep getting games
- lament lack of support for Crippa, and our young midfield brigade (Dow, LOB, Stocker, Cuningham etc) still failing to make an impact

Yeah, I'm jaded :lol:

You are more than jaded ... scarred.

Remember growing up and Collingwood had 13 flags, the cheats and the Dees 12 each and we were 9 back in 1968.
Collingwood became synonymous with the Collliwobbles. Some blamed it on McAlister, but his reign was 86-96, when the indigenous leaders pointed the bone at the club.
But they won the flag under his reign in 1990.

Our club is a completely different club to the one that hit rock bottom in 2002 and since.
Some of your expectations are realistic. Injuries do happen, and you have to be lucky not to have injuries ruin your season.
But we have taken our medicine, and everywhere you look on fieild and off field, AFL or AFLW and we are a professional outfit only accepting best practise.

Its our time

We can handle the budding superstar Charlie Curnow missing from our best 22.
We have Levi who is on our list and before he got worn out in hublife with his family in tow, he was in AA form and easily the best forward ruck in the comp. hOPEFULLY HUB LIFE IS IN THE PAST AND HE THRIVES AGAIN. He will be closer to goal and will either outmark the defense or bring the ball to the feet of Betts, Martin, Fogarty, Fisher... He is on our list, ofcourse we rely on him and everyone on that list....so youre right about that, but its a good thing in my book, because we have him.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:50 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Our spine if left to do their job and nothing else is going to get better from doing so, and with Saad back there and the return of Marchbank the defensive unit wil be best in the business again...better than last season imo..

For those who don't know, Marchbank was fit for the last round, and lets not forget he got injured putting his body on the line for OUR team; something that should be celebrated not ridiculed.

If Jones just plays his vanilla defensive role, like he was 3 years ago, and stop trying to take speccy's on the chest, he will dominate his opponents again.

Weiters is an AA in my book

Crippa in the guts

Harry is unbeatable if the ball is kicked to his advantage, and if he's is still developing, god help the opposition as to what he brings after another preseason, and we have plenty of cover for Full forward. We wont rely on Kennedy to play FF this year.

Gov has had so much bad publicity from all corners of the footy world, he is bound to come back breathing fire, and if Teague does a coach's job on him to motivate and get him play to the best of his ability rather than being his best friend, I expect Gov to star....but he has to get past Jack who also wants to prove the footy world he belongs in the best 22. That's why he stayed. He's a Carltonian thu and thru...and is versatile to mix it up with cripps as a big bodied mid with stints in the forwardline, mixing it with Crippa...who will kick goals if he works on it over preseason.

If Pitto does improve his forward craft as he said recently on the website, then with TDK there's plenty of firepower to add to the spine if needed.....and I believe Charlie will play in the 2nd half of the season as a precautionary measure.

The sky has lifted. It was a dark sky and now its blue.

Finals in 2021, and I will not be surprised with a bit of luck going our way with injury, top 4 should be the target.

Have a look at the DEPTH on our list, with another preseason under their belt:

Newman
Newnes
Dow
Cuningham
McGovern
Kennedy
OBrien
Stocker
Kemp
Philp ... I expect him to be the big improver
Honey.......

Add 4 players from Draft/ DFA/ WAFL or SAFL...Austin will find a diamond.

We are not the team we were in 2020 and the 20 years prior.
Our developing / depth players are 21yo- 24yo and ready to rumble with the big boys.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:56 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

aboynamedsue wrote:
Sin City wrote:

Are those expectations or a wish list?
:wink:

The club has already identified our lapses and weaknesses and I'm sure they are areas because we have identified in need for fixing, they will be given utmost focus.

and have addressed the speed issue with the inclusion of Saad Williams and that jet Fogarty.

No more gifting games and real competition for spots will sort yesteryears problems.

Fix up the kicking efficiency, speed and connection and its real...pick players who can do the job, not out of form players, nor those with bad skills.

I know Stocker is on the mend and got ahead of himself, and he will be fine for next year.
Dow has had the knee op he should've had last year.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:24 pm 
Bob Chitty

finals.

end of story.

only excuse is a terrible run of injury seeing 6 our of top 10 players injured for more than half the season etc.. and curnow doesnt count. think crippa, walsh, weiters, mckay etc.. all not playing for more than 10 games etc.. then they have some justification as to not finishing in the finals. outside of that, there can be no excuse of not making finals next season.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:34 pm 
Rod Ashman

Number 17 :smoking:

Post subject: Season 2021 expectations
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:23 pm 
Craig Bradley

Flags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:28 am 
Rod Ashman

aboynamedsue wrote:
camel wrote:

Quote:

I think our spine is OK but overrated....

Weitering is a gun. Jones is the girl with the curl. Charlie hasn’t played for 18 months. Harry is developing.

And there’s not a lot KP talent in reserve - TDK & Pittonet are ruckmen who haven’t shown anything yet as KP players, Marchbank is more a 3rd tall type (and often injured anyway), McGovern is inconsistent and Levi is nearing the end.

Kemp is the unknown. He could be the talented young KP we need, but we don’t know much about him yet.

We’ve invested in quick flankers this offseason. Unless Curly Jr has an ace up his sleeve, I reckon we’re heading into 2021 a little short on KP and midfield depth.

:roll: In other words nothing has changed!
I'm a bit more optimistic. We have a good spine - nothing wrong there, another preseason in to the younger guys they will get better and we have added some speed on the outside. No I am definitely feeling positive. Injuries aside at the end of the homer and away season we will finish 2 - 6.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:30 am 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
Our spine if left to do their job and nothing else is going to get better from doing so, and with Saad back there and the return of Marchbank the defensive unit wil be best in the business again...better than last season imo..

For those who don't know, Marchbank was fit for the last round, and lets not forget he got injured putting his body on the line for OUR team; something that should be celebrated not ridiculed.

If Jones just plays his vanilla defensive role, like he was 3 years ago, and stop trying to take speccy's on the chest, he will dominate his opponents again.

Weiters is an AA in my book

Crippa in the guts

Harry is unbeatable if the ball is kicked to his advantage, and if he's is still developing, god help the opposition as to what he brings after another preseason, and we have plenty of cover for Full forward. We wont rely on Kennedy to play FF this year.

Gov has had so much bad publicity from all corners of the footy world, he is bound to come back breathing fire, and if Teague does a coach's job on him to motivate and get him play to the best of his ability rather than being his best friend, I expect Gov to star....but he has to get past Jack who also wants to prove the footy world he belongs in the best 22. That's why he stayed. He's a Carltonian thu and thru...and is versatile to mix it up with cripps as a big bodied mid with stints in the forwardline, mixing it with Crippa...who will kick goals if he works on it over preseason.

If Pitto does improve his forward craft as he said recently on the website, then with TDK there's plenty of firepower to add to the spine if needed.....and I believe Charlie will play in the 2nd half of the season as a precautionary measure.

The sky has lifted. It was a dark sky and now its blue.

Finals in 2021, and I will not be surprised with a bit of luck going our way with injury, top 4 should be the target.

Have a look at the DEPTH on our list, with another preseason under their belt:

Newman
Newnes
Dow
Cuningham
McGovern
Kennedy
OBrien
Stocker
Kemp
Philp ... I expect him to be the big improver
Honey.......

Add 4 players from Draft/ DFA/ WAFL or SAFL...Austin will find a diamond.

We are not the team we were in 2020 and the 20 years prior.

Our developing / depth players are 21yo- 24yo and ready to rumble with the big boys.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:56 pm 
Bert Deacon

our improvement will come from a fit Dow,O'brien,marchbank and fingers cross newman and cripps

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:40 pm 
Ken Hunter

5 in a row starts next year - Go Baggers!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:47 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I'd just like to win the first game of the year. And then back it up the next week. How long since we've won two on the bounce to start the year off?

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:43 pm 
Rod Ashman

Heavs wrote:
I'd just like to win the first game of the year. And then back it up the next week. How long since we've won two on the bounce to start the year off?

I'd be happy with that! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:20 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I expect our club to find a new way to disappoint us.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:08 pm 
Harry Vallence

Finals

There I said it!