Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 816 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 41  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:35 pm 
Bob Chitty

dane wrote:
SOS will have a job in recruiting again soon if he's any good.

Highly doubtful he gets another list manager job in the AFL. Has burnt a lot of bridges on the way out, and shown other clubs what to expect when things don't go his way. To me, he was a lazy recruiter, did not do the hard yards that other list managers do at the top clubs . Blind Freddy should be able to see that.

Let's put aside his highly questionable strategy for bringing in GWS players that he selected when the GWS list manager. Looking back at all of the players selected at pick 20+, his record has been very ordinary when judged by how many B+ or above grade players he can find. Not expecting to turn every one of these 20+ pick into a B+ or A grader , but you need to be finding at least 1 every 2 years if you're going to move your back up the ladder from where we were down the bottom. IMO.

2015 - Cunningham (23), Jack Silvagni (53)
2016 - Fisher (27), Macreadie (47), Poulson (59), Williamson (61), Kerr (65)
2017 - De Konig (30), Schumachker (70), Garlett (78)
2018 - O'Dwyer (66), Ben Silvagni (70)
2019 - Philp (20), Ramsay (47)

In 5 years, none of these fall into the B+ or A grade category. NONE!!!! A few might become B+ graders, but NONE are close yet.

Clubs like Geelong select players the quality of Sam Menegola (57), Parfitt (26), Tim Kelly (24), Miers (57). At Hawthorn Warpol (45) & Sicily (56), Freo, Lachie Neale (58), at WC Tom Barass (43) & Jeremy McGovern (74), North Ben Brown (47)

Our 2017 could turn out to be a horror story. With picks 3 & 10, instead of Dow & O'Brien, we could have Cerra & Naughton, or Hunter Clark and Ed Richards. The likes of Liam Ryan, Noah Balta, Aaron Naughton, Oscar Allan, Ed Richards, Tim Kelly, James Warpol were taken after O'Brien . All of them are B+ or A graders NOW.

SOS is a Carlton legend, as a player.

As a list manager, we are fortunate the club showed the balls to say No SOS, we are not going to offer you another 5-year deal, see you later.

Last edited by lucablue on Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:44 pm 
Rod Ashman

Sydney Blue wrote:
So Ben is the only player over the years that didn't deserve a spot on the list??
I could think of 100 others.
Jack has done enough to hold his spot but will probably be a casualty due to Liddle ego.

SOS and his father are club legends . Liddle is a fly by nighter that will disappear as quickly as he come.

We have spent 20 years bringing in outsiders at the expense of people who have the club in their blood and where has that taken us.
Malthouse Swan Pagan Liddle.
We played our best footy when Pratt Sticks and Ratts were in charge

Worrall, Diggins, Bentley, Barassi, Parkin. The club’s history is littered with outsiders who have come in and made the club better.

Even Pratt’s mantra was about bringing the best people to the club, not the best and most favourite.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:46 pm 
Rod Ashman

lucablue wrote:
dane wrote:

Highly doubtful he gets another list manager job in the AFL.

I reckon that’s the point Dane was trying to make.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:50 pm 
Bob Chitty

cecil89 wrote:
lucablue wrote:
dane wrote:

Yes I know. And I then expanded on that point.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:54 pm 
Rod Ashman

lucablue wrote:
cecil89 wrote:
lucablue wrote:
dane wrote:

Great, we’re all on the same page then :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:18 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

cecil89 wrote:
lucablue wrote:
cecil89 wrote:
lucablue wrote:
dane wrote:

Great, we’re all on the same page then :lol:
One person isn't but that's standard

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:29 pm 
Harry Vallence

jim wrote:
Trigger wrote:
cecil89 wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
Unfortunately it won't be forgotten. SOS has been hired by SEN to add 'colour' to their trade week coverage.

No doubt they'll be egging him on to pot us at every opportunity.

Since I was a kid SOS has always been my favourite Carlton person. The man damaged his legacy today.

Completely agree with this.
His legacy will also depend on whether the current list can take us to a premiership. If they can’t, he’ll wear plenty of responsibility for that.

He will blame the coaches for poor development, there is no way he will take responsibility for poor recruiting.
Given the first 3 years of that was under Bolton alot has to be put down to poor development. Young blokes were thrown into the heat of the action rather than having lesser roles to develop. Has done the likes of Dow no good at all and did Weitering no good for a long time, to the point we doubted him. Fortunately he come good. Recruiting hasn't been too bad, development not so good.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:06 am 
Trevor Keogh

SOS was a hero to me growing up and I was thrilled that he came back to the club and wheeled and dealed to get our list to a state where we could be competitive again. I thought he showed a lot of creativity in getting deals done and creating trade currency where it didn't exist. I understand the hurt, especially given his history with the club and he has (or had) boys at the club, but this interview was a hatchet job on Cain Liddle and MLG and it reflects poorly on SOS. It just compromises everyone and he discloses some confidential dealings which should have been kept in-house. I hope Jack can overcome this and I hope in time that the wounds with SOS heal because there is no name more synonymous with the club than the Silvagni name.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:03 am 
Stephen Kernahan

fjanyc wrote:
SOS was a hero to me growing up and I was thrilled that he came back to the club and wheeled and dealed to get our list to a state where we could be competitive again. I thought he showed a lot of creativity in getting deals done and creating trade currency where it didn't exist. I understand the hurt, especially given his history with the club and he has (or had) boys at the club, but this interview was a hatchet job on Cain Liddle and MLG and it reflects poorly on SOS. It just compromises everyone and he discloses some confidential dealings which should have been kept in-house. I hope Jack can overcome this and I hope in time that the wounds with SOS heal because there is no name more synonymous with the club than the Silvagni name.

Spot on FJA. Good to see you posting.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:58 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

sinbagger wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Raising the point about being accused that SOS would " sabotage of the trade and draft period if he stayed", was unnecessary.
There's plenty of slanderous things and political bouts that don't need to be aired in public. This was the one today. Stupid.

Oh yeah, bringing in the Simpson Betts pay wasn't good for anyone either. Why would he bring that up? Highly confidential stuff.

Everything else was fine.

Cannot see how the rest really was detrimental for the club moving forward. Liddle will be fine.

I don't think that Liddle's desire to be a List Manager is a secret, and am glad it was bought to light; Liddle can make suggestions and set boundaries but how much AFL footy has he played?

Unlike his dad, SOS has probably grown up with a sense of entitlement, hence his persona, why he rubbed supporters the wrong way (he did say supporters and players are the 2 most important elements of a club, which proves, he saw himself above all that), hence wanted to climb the ladder, gave prefs to Xavier boys :lol: . AFL Commission would be happy with that.

The point about Gov being given a free ride was fantastic. That should have been said. Someone has to. The penny may finally have dropped for Gov after SOS' comments.

Lets hope that's all the dirty laundry he airs during Trade week.

I don't think he raised the value of Saad at all. The point made was that Saad was a top 5 player in a team that ended 4th last, and made the point that a HBF doesn't warrant a Top 10 pick. We all feel the same way.

What did come to light is how much bullshit posters on footy foums like TC and BF have made up as a matter of fact that SOS didnt want Eddie. Shame on you those who did.

Club doesn't need to say anything. It will all die down when we sign Williams and Saad and maybe another surprise.

What exactly did SOS say about Guv?

Top of my head.

Gov was a better player at Crows than what he's shown at Carlton
Gov picked because he has x factor
Gov would be [dangerous] with Charlie and Harry in the forwardline
Gov has not prepared himself well for games
The club played Gov when he wasn't in good condition
Gov better get going coz time is ticking.
Gov has not played anywhere near expectations for what he cost the club, so he better get going

and the BIG point, imo,

Gov as been given a free ride this year ie Teague played him when his form didn't warrant selection :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:06 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
sinbagger wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Raising the point about being accused that SOS would " sabotage of the trade and draft period if he stayed", was unnecessary.
There's plenty of slanderous things and political bouts that don't need to be aired in public. This was the one today. Stupid.

Oh yeah, bringing in the Simpson Betts pay wasn't good for anyone either. Why would he bring that up? Highly confidential stuff.

Everything else was fine.

Cannot see how the rest really was detrimental for the club moving forward. Liddle will be fine.

I don't think that Liddle's desire to be a List Manager is a secret, and am glad it was bought to light; Liddle can make suggestions and set boundaries but how much AFL footy has he played?

Unlike his dad, SOS has probably grown up with a sense of entitlement, hence his persona, why he rubbed supporters the wrong way (he did say supporters and players are the 2 most important elements of a club, which proves, he saw himself above all that), hence wanted to climb the ladder, gave prefs to Xavier boys :lol: . AFL Commission would be happy with that.

The point about Gov being given a free ride was fantastic. That should have been said. Someone has to. The penny may finally have dropped for Gov after SOS' comments.

Lets hope that's all the dirty laundry he airs during Trade week.

I don't think he raised the value of Saad at all. The point made was that Saad was a top 5 player in a team that ended 4th last, and made the point that a HBF doesn't warrant a Top 10 pick. We all feel the same way.

What did come to light is how much bullshit posters on footy foums like TC and BF have made up as a matter of fact that SOS didnt want Eddie. Shame on you those who did.

Club doesn't need to say anything. It will all die down when we sign Williams and Saad and maybe another surprise.

What exactly did SOS say about Guv?

Top of my head.

Gov was a better player at Crows than what he's shown at Carlton
Gov picked because he has x factor
Gov would be [dangerous] with Charlie and Harry in the forwardline
Gov has not prepared himself well for games
The club played Gov when he wasn't in good condition
Gov better get going coz time is ticking.
Gov has not played anywhere near expectations for what he cost the club, so he better get going

and the BIG point, imo,

Gov as been given a free ride this year ie Teague played him when his form didn't warrant selection :thumbsup:

Don't think anyone can argue about what he said about Gov.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:12 am 
Trevor Keogh

Blue Vain wrote:
fjanyc wrote:

Thanks BV. Even when I don't post, I am always following the threads. I have lived in NY for nearly 20 years now but my love for the club has not diminished and the banter among the posters on this site just keeps me all that much closer to home.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:49 am 
Bruce Doull

fjanyc wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
fjanyc wrote:

Thanks BV. Even when I don't post, I am always following the threads. I have lived in NY for nearly 20 years now but my love for the club has not diminished and the banter among the posters on this site just keeps me all that much closer to home.

:beer: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:00 pm 
Geoff Southby

:grin:
Donstuie wrote:
Manna from heaven for Watson and Lyon.

“Hey, things are looking good for Carlton, how can we embarrass them on the eve of trade period? I know, let’s call up a disgruntled ex-employee to unload on his former bosses, hurt their credibility, and force the value of their trade targets up!”

I thought you were a better man than this SOS.

:grin: :grin:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:01 pm 
Geoff Southby

Cazzesman wrote:
SOS said he loved the club.....

1. What is to be gained by tipping a bucket on the Clubs CEO after all this time.
2. How does he think this helps the club and the CEO's dealings with Sponsors etc
3. How does he think his bucket tipping helps Jack.
4. SOS says he doesn't like to talk about himself but he is happy to let people know how hard done by he was.

One word................SELFISH!

SOS was paid extremely well at Carlton as a player and as List Manager. Today was just sour grapes with no real point other than to settle a score and bleat about being slighted. Suck it up precious. :garthp:

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:06 pm 
Geoff Southby

jim wrote:
Cazzesman wrote:
SOS said he loved the club.....

1. What is to be gained by tipping a bucket on the Clubs CEO after all this time.
2. How does he think this helps the club and the CEO's dealings with Sponsors etc
3. How does he think his bucket tipping helps Jack.
4. SOS says he doesn't like to talk about himself but he is happy to let people know how hard done by he was.

One word................SELFISH!

SOS was paid extremely well at Carlton as a player and as List Manager. Today was just sour grapes with no real point other than to settle a score and bleat about being slighted. Suck it up precious. :garthp:

Regards Cazzesman

Why? He's not at Carlton now and very much entitled to tell his side of the story. As we all would in the same position.

:grin: :grin: :grin:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:09 pm 
Geoff Southby

camel wrote:
Heavs wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
He's got a touch of the James Hirds about him.

Just a touch mind you.

The difference is we'll call out his bullshit, Essendon**** supporters create #standbyhird

Sadly, I think if you read stuff on BF and here that's not the case. A smaller percentage, granted, but some are just all-in on the bloke.

Draw up a venn diagram showing those who protested to the club with "SAVE FEV" placards and those all in on SOS and see how much overlap there is.

As we've seen with Sticks, a great player doesn't make a great administrator.

But some people get lost in the romance, I mean, reading between the lines, SOS even touched on that today when he subtly cast doubts on Liddle's suitability because he is not a Carlton person.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:10 pm 
Geoff Southby

kingkerna wrote:
Pretty proud of most on here for seeing through his bullshit and questioning his motivation.

Hasn't got Jack's best interest at heart by doing this. Not sure how Serge would feel either.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:24 pm 
Geoff Southby

SOS
The gift that keeps on giving
Shows what a boys club we are
Judd and MLG dont belong at our club either
When you have an ego the size of the front of Myers you eventually tip the bucket on everyone

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:26 pm 
Geoff Southby

I suppose the other question is

Did Tim have a chubby under the desk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 816 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 41  Next