Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:44 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Champion Data Ratings

Defenders 17th
Forwards 13th
Midfield 18th
Overall 17th

Doesn't look good if you believe champion Data

Our defence is far better than most believe.

Agree and will only get better too.
I rate our defence very highly.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:44 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

With “The Beast” and “Weiternator” holding down the key defensive posts - I’m loudly confident.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:52 pm 
Geoff Southby

rhino27 wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Champion Data Ratings

Defenders 17th
Forwards 13th
Midfield 18th
Overall 17th

Doesn't look good if you believe champion Data

Our defence is far better than most believe.

Agree and will only get better too.
I rate our defence very highly.

Yep ! i reckon we have a terrific backline actually..................Whats more we have a potentially pretty good forward line..............but i am afraid to agree its in the guts we are shit.Cripps is out of this world but we fall away badly after that.Thats why so much depends on the young 'uns stepping up and making a name for themselves.I'm talking' to you Paddy Dow,PetSet,Fish and so on.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:59 am 
Geoff Southby

Unless we’re blessed with very few injuries this year, I think we’re a lock for bottom 4. :cry:

And that’s not based on one preseason game. It’s where I see us in the competition.

If we have an absolute Richmond-style-kissed-on-the-dick-run-with-injuries, we may push up into that 9th to 12th category in 2020.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:18 pm 
Geoff Southby

aboynamedsue wrote:
Unless we’re blessed with very few injuries this year, I think we’re a lock for bottom 4. :cry:

And that’s not based on one preseason game. It’s where I see us in the competition.

If we have an absolute Richmond-style-kissed-on-the-dick-run-with-injuries, we may push up into that 9th to 12th category in 2020.

Given this is the 5 th year of rebuild is that where we should be at.
Obviously I think no. What do you think.
And what players do we lack.
To me it’s midfielders and pace around the ground.
I reckon our key position stocks are ok and let’s hope De Koning can become a competitive ruckman because we have lacked in that area. Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:37 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

Given this is the 5 th year of rebuild is that where we should be at.
Obviously I think no. What do you think.
And what players do we lack.
To me it’s midfielders and pace around the ground.
I reckon our key position stocks are ok and let’s hope De Koning can become a competitive ruckman because we have lacked in that area. Thoughts?

I think this year is the year we find out more about our 2nd, 3rd, 4th year players, and the gaps we need to fill.

Who knows, with the drafting of quicks Philp and Ramsay, (and maybe even Philips as the wildcard) we may just have the pace we need regardless of age in 2021.

Like every team, there's going to players drafted who are good enough to be part of a finals outfit and those who don't. There will be busts given the plethora of newbies we have drafted/traded for in the last 5 years.

There's 22 rounds ahead of us over 6 months of footy. Its too early to go off this early in the season. We will find out this year, especially when stars return from injury, who has got what it takes to play finals, what they need if they can improve on their shortfalls (and with some its just strength, TDK, Fisher and Dow the obvious ones), what we need to Trade for, and hope that big multi positional big bodied mid in Kemp does a Cripps and becomes a star as he has always been earmarked to do.

What I do know is that this is the year we must rise up the ladder with a shooing star to ensure we attract the players we need to fill the short term and mid range voids.

I have no doubt the trade of Martin and Betts and return to the team after a 2 year absence of Doc and Willo will hold us in good stead if we can keep injuries to a minimum....or as aboynamedsue says..."kissed on the dick like Richmond" (and Brisbane).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:11 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I think many of us were hoping to have Charlie, Harry and the Guvner available for the season when we raised our expectations.
The fact that NONE of them is 100% fit atm is a worry. Even if the last two come up for Rd 1, we know they will take time to settle in and get match fit on the back of no full pre-season.

Harry is no guarantee to play a full season if his groin niggle doesn't settle down. We need him to be kicking 40+ this year, which is attainable if he kicks straight.
Gov is the third tall and 20-30 from him should be expected, more if Harry can't get on the park.
Charlie might not play at all this year.

The lack of fit talls puts a lot of pressure on the unlikely person of Levi. He had his best ever season last year in a variety of roles but I am thinking he will be our CHF for a lot of this season.

That leaves Eddie, Jack Martin and the mids to get us on the scoreboard. We need to kick 14-16 goals a week to win games. Eddie is the unknown factor. His highest ever is about 70 but if we get 30+ out of him this year, I think that's going to be a pretty good ROI. Martin should be a 20-30 goal kicker if he plays forward. Cripps is a massive accumulator of the footy but doesn't kick many goals. Murphy ditto. Ed same. SPS nup. One or more of those has to step up and kick goals.

If we finish 12-16 with that forward setup, I think it will be a successful year.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:52 pm 
Geoff Southby

Yeah with the forward problems we obviously have it’s hard to see us finishing higher than 13th or so, and more than likely bottom 4 again.

Things which could see us higher would be:

1. Good run with injury for our senior players.

2. At least a few of the Younger guys who have only shown glimpses such Setterfield, Dow, Fisher, Cuningham, Williamson, JSOS, LOB, Kennedy, Stocker and SPS become genuinely good above average AFL players.

Out of that group the only ones I’m expecting to step up this year are SPS and possibly Fisher. Others I think may show bits here and there or are on borrowed time (JSOS and Kennedy)

3. Other sides being worse than I expect. A lot of me not thinking we can get any higher is I can’t really see anyone who seems genuinely terrible, you could make a case for basically any side barring GC to make the 8.

Though there may be some sides which implode (Adelaide? Port?) or continue being bad like Melbourne.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:29 am 
Bob Chitty

I’d be pretty disappointed if we finished bottom 4. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not expecting finals but I see bottom 4 as a failure.

I understand we’ve got injuries (would love to have a fully fit H and Charlie for the full season) but it’s not as if we’re the only side with injuries. The pies (2018) and giants (2019) showed you can be successful despite injuries.

For me, if we finish bottom 4, the reason will most likely be a failure of our 2-5 year players (we all know the list of names) to step up. If these guys can’t step up, then unfortunately a lot of the past few years worth of drafting and trading will be a waste. Murph, Simmo, Kreuz, Ed etc won’t be around for much longer. Time for some of these kids we’ve invested so much in to step up.

Go blues

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:45 am 
John James

david31 wrote:
I’d be pretty disappointed if we finished bottom 4. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not expecting finals but I see bottom 4 as a failure.

I understand we’ve got injuries (would love to have a fully fit H and Charlie for the full season) but it’s not as if we’re the only side with injuries. The pies (2018) and giants (2019) showed you can be successful despite injuries.

For me, if we finish bottom 4, the reason will most likely be a failure of our 2-5 year players (we all know the list of names) to step up. If these guys can’t step up, then unfortunately a lot of the past few years worth of drafting and trading will be a waste. Murph, Simmo, Kreuz, Ed etc won’t be around for much longer. Time for some of these kids we’ve invested so much in to step up.

Go blues

This is a great summation of where we are at the moment

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:38 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

david31 wrote:

Go blues

Right on david31.

Its those 21-23yo's that must step up. We know what the old heads do, and we can win without some of of KP players...whilst Mr Versatile (levi) is on our list.

The game against Brizzy, Teague's first as coach, was a turning point for the team.
Cripps carried Carlton over the line with his 4 goal haul after a slow start, and Charlie and Harry played well too, but after that game, Charlie was out, as was Marchbank and Harry played with a nagging groin affecting his kicking and his running for the remainder of the year. We won a few games without Harry's and Charlie's influence, when the kids stepped up.

We won against Freo at Freo without Charlie, Marchbank, Cripps Doc...
We won against Crows without Charlie Gov Kreuzer Marchbank Doc, Cunners, Fish ...
We nearly beat WCE without Charlie Gov Kreuzer Marchbank Doc Jones Thomas ...
We beat the Saints without Charlie, Gov Weitering Jones Doc ...

I expect us to compete and win games without Charlie and at times Harry (who is not far from returning), but its those 2-5 year players whose time to stand up is NOW...and from AIRCAV's recent report, they know it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:45 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
david31 wrote:

Go blues

Right on david31.

Its those 21-23yo's that must step up. We know what the old heads do, and we can win without some of of KP players...whilst Mr Versatile (levi) is on our list.

The game against Brizzy, Teague's first as coach, was a turning point for the team.
Cripps carried Carlton over the line with his 4 goal haul after a slow start, and Charlie and Harry played well too, but after that game, Charlie was out, as was Marchbank and Harry played with a nagging groin affecting his kicking and his running for the remainder of the year. We won a few games without Harry's and Charlie's influence, when the kids stepped up.

We won against Freo at Freo without Charlie, Marchbank, Cripps Doc...
We won against Crows without Charlie Gov Kreuzer Marchbank Doc, Cunners, Fish ...
We nearly beat WCE without Charlie Gov Kreuzer Marchbank Doc Jones Thomas ...
We beat the Saints without Charlie, Gov Weitering Jones Doc ...

I expect us to compete and win games without Charlie and at times Harry (who is not far from returning), but its those 2-5 year players whose time to stand up is NOW...and from AIRCAV's recent report, they know it.

All true and who’s not to say we could have shockers like we did against Freo during the season and still win 10 games?

Even if we improve to making the 8 winning 12-13 games, that’s still 9-10 losses, and some of those are bound to be piss poor performances.

So I’ll try to be glass half full, need a larger sample size to see really.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:16 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

The late season form the recruitment of Martin and Betts had me quite excited over the summer.
The Freo practice game knocked the stuffing out of me. They were deplorable.

I think it will be a rollercoaster ride this year.

But all I hope at this stage is don't go 0- 4 at the start of the season

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:41 am 
Robert Walls

Sydney Blue wrote:
The late season form the recruitment of Martin and Betts had me quite excited over the summer.

I think we'll be 0-2 going into games against the Cheats and then Sydney in Sydney. Tigers (clearly) and Dogs are top 8 sides. Possibly both top 4.

Makes the game against the druggies big to get our season rolling.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:45 am 
Craig Bradley

I'd like to think we're moving up the ladder this season but in reality we're a bottom 4 team until they prove me otherwise.

If we can stop our reliance on too few, if our younger players can take the next step, do we have a game plan that not only fits our list but is good enough to stand up against others?... all will be answered this year... no more excuses.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:53 am 
Robert Walls

toddkurnski wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

I think we'll be 0-2 going into games against the Cheats and then Sydney in Sydney. Tigers (clearly) and Dogs are top 8 sides. Possibly both top 4.

Makes the game against the druggies big to get our season rolling.

And the druggies will probably be 2-0 with their soft start against Freo and then Sydney.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:31 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Just looking at the Suns, it seems to me Dew has found a way to motivate the kids to go in hard and apply constant pressure.

All we need from our 21-23yo is for them to show inner belief in their ability to win contests and a desire to hit hard and close down oppositions space.

I hate this corralling we do. I thought that was a Bryce Gibbs thing, but nah, it seems to be a Carlton disease.

The pressure the kids bought in the Freo and Saints games last year in the 2nd half od the game showed they can switch on.

We are too reliant oon the old heads to apply pressure and hardness at the ball and on the opponent.

I want to see more mongrel, otherwise they can find it in the VFL or elsehere.

The time is now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:51 pm 
Bruce Doull

I look forward to the day we can't use injuries as an excuse anymore.

With Charlie likely out for the year, and big ?'s over Harry and Gov, it' deja vu all over again.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:42 pm 
Bruce Doull

We’re [REDACTED]...

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:50 pm 
Geoff Southby

Donstuie wrote:
We’re [REDACTED]...

From all available evidence, we are.

From what I’ve seen I think 18th is a distinct possibility.

No Curnow or McKay early on, McGovern not right either.

Midfield relying on cripps, Ed, murph and Walsh. No one else has shown their up to it beyond the odd cameo.

I haven’t seen any sign of improvement from and of our younger players which will make us any better.

Any before anyone arks up, aside from GC who could be worse than us, aside from a club imploding?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next