Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:15 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:31 am 
Craig Bradley

Just wanted to give you a bit of a report after I represented Talking Carlton at the season launch last night.

Great night, very low key with the focus on the Guernsey club members getting a chance to chat to our sponsored players. Not many speeches. Only a brief one from LGD and just a couple of light hearted chats with the coaches and captains of both teams.

Was seated next to both Kerryn and Lochie and both were excellent company. Their media training is pretty good. We had a good chat and I don't think I'm betraying any confidences in the write up to follow.

Lochie is currently studying commerce as well as continuing his pursuit of his pilot’s license. He didn’t play in freo due to bone bruising as a result of a knock during the Carlton game that had him pinballed between a couple of big bodies. But he's confident of being ready for round 1. His preferred position is the wing and was honest enough to say that he understands the pressure to push into the midfield, but that he’s probably not going to have the size to do so (currently 75kg). Seems keen to unleash that left foot. Wants to move like Gaff and have the impact of Bradley Hill. Has played on Gaff and says he's just a machine. Not overly quick but just doesn't stop. Asked him about the expectation this year from media and fans and how they were dealing with that. He wasn’t too fussed as he believes the players have high expectations on themselves and that they know its all up to them.

Huge rap for Andrew Russell as was Kerryn. Said that the fitness levels and management of the players is miles beyond what it was like when he first joined the club. On that he had some interesting things to say about the “lots of players injured” commentary. From their viewpoint, these players aren’t injured, it’s just that they are delayed in their preparation. For example, Mitch. Yes he was injured and missed a block of training, but he isn’t injured now and is simply behind in his training. He is just working through the training block that most of the team have completed. So it’s not so much injured, as at different places in the training cycle.

Players to watch: He reckons Sam Philp and Josh Honey are almost ready made footballers and have slotted in very well. And nominated Will Setterfield to be a huge improver this year. Thinks Harry will be right for Round 1. TDK will take over form Kreuzer in the next year or so.

Of course we couldn’t help ourselves and asked about Bolts. Much of his comments echoed those we’ve already heard. E.g. over coached, over lectured, following a game plan that was too stringent. For example he said that for stoppages on the wing, he was under instruction to go to the other side of the ground. Hence why he was only getting 5-6 touches a game. Some of the rules were so strict. E.g. if you’re facing goal you must handball. The one comment that I was somewhat surprised at and very disappointed with, was that Bolts had clear favourites and also designated whipping boys. I thought Bolts was better than that. It sounded a very divisive regime. Hence Teague was a breath of fresh air.

Great to see that Lochie's Gold sponsors were the family who first housed him when he was first drafted. Sally is an amazing host, taught him how to cook and you could see the respect Lochie had for her. Of all the players she's hosted, Eddie is her all time favorite.

Kerryn is not only co-captain, but works as a physio for the men’s team and from all reports, is very highly regarded. She was the person who called her partner during an Ash Barti press conference which Ash answered. Is enjoying where the AFLW is going and its development. Thinks that the 9 or so rounds is about right. As a physio, was interesting to get her thoughts on the ACL issue that they are going through. The real issue is that men’s and women’s bodies are different and that statistically, women are 6 times more likely to suffer an ACL, no matter what the sport.

Big crowd in attendance. Eddy was the rock star. He was seated next to us and their was a never ending stream of people having photos taken with him and chatting to him. You have to marvel sometimes at the patience they all have for the stream of people wanting to interact with them. He was a gentleman to all and you can see the esteem he is held in. We of course did so as well and he was very open and honest. He is amazed at how he managed to come back to Carlton and is really enjoying himself. Admitted the last year wasn’t fun at Adelaide. Said to watch out for Jack Martin. Reckons he’s one of the toughest players he’s seen and will relish a crowd of 90,000. He sounded genuinely impressed with the players and how willing they are to learn and ask him questions and seek advice.

Crippa looks as lean as I’ve ever seen him. We had a photo taken with him and whilst tall, he seemed quite slim. Newnes is a big unit. Compared to the CHF’s of yore like Richo, Harry and Charlie whilst tall seem slight in build. Just how the modern day is.

Anyway, myself and my mate Jimmy had a great night. Thanks to all the contributors to our sponsorship. Felt quite proud to be there. The group on our table were pleasantly surprised to hear how a fan message board chips in to sponsor a player.

Go Blues !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:42 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sounds like a good night
thanks for the report

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:52 am 
Bruce Doull

That's an awesome report 'CAV, thank you. :beer:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:57 am 
Geoff Southby

AIRCAV wrote:
Just wanted to give you a bit of a report after I represented Talking Carlton at the season launch last night.

Great night, very low key with the focus on the Guernsey club members getting a chance to chat to our sponsored players. Not many speeches. Only a brief one from LGD and just a couple of light hearted chats with the coaches and captains of both teams.

Was seated next to both Kerryn and Lochie and both were excellent company. Their media training is pretty good. We had a good chat and I don't think I'm betraying any confidences in the write up to follow.

Lochie is currently studying commerce as well as continuing his pursuit of his pilot’s license. He didn’t play in freo due to bone bruising as a result of a knock during the Carlton game that had him pinballed between a couple of big bodies. But he's confident of being ready for round 1. His preferred position is the wing and was honest enough to say that he understands the pressure to push into the midfield, but that he’s probably not going to have the size to do so (currently 75kg). Seems keen to unleash that left foot. Wants to move like Gaff and have the impact of Bradley Hill. Has played on Gaff and says he's just a machine. Not overly quick but just doesn't stop. Asked him about the expectation this year from media and fans and how they were dealing with that. He wasn’t too fussed as he believes the players have high expectations on themselves and that they know its all up to them.

Huge rap for Andrew Russell as was Kerryn. Said that the fitness levels and management of the players is miles beyond what it was like when he first joined the club. On that he had some interesting things to say about the “lots of players injured” commentary. From their viewpoint, these players aren’t injured, it’s just that they are delayed in their preparation. For example, Mitch. Yes he was injured and missed a block of training, but he isn’t injured now and is simply behind in his training. He is just working through the training block that most of the team have completed. So it’s not so much injured, as at different places in the training cycle.

Players to watch: He reckons Sam Philp and Josh Honey are almost ready made footballers and have slotted in very well. And nominated Will Setterfield to be a huge improver this year. Thinks Harry will be right for Round 1. TDK will take over form Kreuzer in the next year or so.

Of course we couldn’t help ourselves and asked about Bolts. Much of his comments echoed those we’ve already heard. E.g. over coached, over lectured, following a game plan that was too stringent. For example he said that for stoppages on the wing, he was under instruction to go to the other side of the ground. Hence why he was only getting 5-6 touches a game. Some of the rules were so strict. E.g. if you’re facing goal you must handball. The one comment that I was somewhat surprised at and very disappointed with, was that Bolts had clear favourites and also designated whipping boys. I thought Bolts was better than that. It sounded a very divisive regime. Hence Teague was a breath of fresh air.

Great to see that Lochie's Gold sponsors were the family who first housed him when he was first drafted. Sally is an amazing host, taught him how to cook and you could see the respect Lochie had for her. Of all the players she's hosted, Eddie is her all time favorite.

Kerryn is not only co-captain, but works as a physio for the men’s team and from all reports, is very highly regarded. She was the person who called her partner during an Ash Barti press conference which Ash answered. Is enjoying where the AFLW is going and its development. Thinks that the 9 or so rounds is about right. As a physio, was interesting to get her thoughts on the ACL issue that they are going through. The real issue is that men’s and women’s bodies are different and that statistically, women are 6 times more likely to suffer an ACL, no matter what the sport.

Big crowd in attendance. Eddy was the rock star. He was seated next to us and their was a never ending stream of people having photos taken with him and chatting to him. You have to marvel sometimes at the patience they all have for the stream of people wanting to interact with them. He was a gentleman to all and you can see the esteem he is held in. We of course did so as well and he was very open and honest. He is amazed at how he managed to come back to Carlton and is really enjoying himself. Admitted the last year wasn’t fun at Adelaide. Said to watch out for Jack Martin. Reckons he’s one of the toughest players he’s seen and will relish a crowd of 90,000. He sounded genuinely impressed with the players and how willing they are to learn and ask him questions and seek advice.

Crippa looks as lean as I’ve ever seen him. We had a photo taken with him and whilst tall, he seemed quite slim. Newnes is a big unit. Compared to the CHF’s of yore like Richo, Harry and Charlie whilst tall seem slight in build. Just how the modern day is.

Anyway, myself and my mate Jimmy had a great night. Thanks to all the contributors to our sponsorship. Felt quite proud to be there. The group on our table were pleasantly surprised to hear how a fan message board chips in to sponsor a player.

Go Blues !

Great stuff, thanks for sharing! :beer:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:07 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

AIRCAV wrote:

Go Blues !

You are a legend AIRCAV. Seriously great rap up.

Well done putting your hand up and taking the chance to attend a great evening. I've done it before and its a great Carlton night.

Thank you for taking the time to write and sharing such a great report too. Insighful.

Lean machines. Like. No doubt they are still strong as oxes.

Amazing how you extracted info, especially insight into Bolts ... not new but confirms what we have heard about favourites, lacking flexibility ...

LOB obviously knows where he's at in the pecking order, as I expect all the kids do, and reading what he WILL continue to work towards. If he matches, let alone passes Gaff's standards....wow...he has the tools. That has me really excited for the future.

Who is this Bluebird Sally? From the legal firm or a spouse of one of the lawyers?

I love this club ... and I love how the team from President down have turned this club's culture and fortunes around for the better.

Can see Carlton leading the pack again and back to its rightful spot at the top in all aspects of clubland.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:27 am 
formerly King Kenny

Thanks for the write up AC.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:01 am 
John James

Yes, an excellent write up. Much appreciated. Seems like the club culture is developing nicely.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:00 pm 
Harry Vallence

Great reading, thanks Aircav, very much appreciated

G

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:03 pm 
Bruce Doull

Great stuff Cav :thumbsup:

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:46 pm 
Robert Walls

Absolutely outstanding report!

Great to hear some really interesting football related news and behind the scenes machinations. As a chip-a-in-a-rer I really appreciate the time and effort.

Great questions too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:32 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Great stuff as always AC

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:36 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Greatly appreciate this high quality report :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:41 pm 
Geoff Southby

Highly enjoyable reading.Thanks for takin' the time and effort...................thanks AirC.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:52 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:50 pm 
Ken Hunter

AIRCAV wrote:

Kerryn is not only co-captain, but works as a physio for the men’s team and from all reports, is very highly regarded. Thinks that the 9 or so rounds is about right. As a physio, was interesting to get her thoughts on the ACL issue that they are going through. The real issue is that men’s and women’s bodies are different and that statistically, women are 6 times more likely to suffer an ACL, no matter what the sport.

All about the injuries, or does she not believe in a fair competition? Or that there are too many teams in the comp?

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:10 pm 
Craig Bradley

Bluedog, Kerryn was of the view that 9 rds for the comp is right. I asked whether it should be “play each other twice” but she felt that it would be too long a season and lead to a drop in standards.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:55 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Great work, nice write up and sounds like it was a great event.. Thanks a heap :thumbsup:

Go Blues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:02 pm 
Ken Hunter

AIRCAV wrote:
Bluedog, Kerryn was of the view that 9 rds for the comp is right. I asked whether it should be “play each other twice” but she felt that it would be too long a season and lead to a drop in standards.

Thank you for the reply.

But forget twice; I would like the teams to play each other once!

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:57 am 
Bert Deacon

Thanks, AIRCAV, for a well-written piece.
Far better than the drivel dished up on the club website.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:34 pm 
Bruce Doull

That's fantastic, great work Aircav.