Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:41 pm 
Harry Vallence

My wife and I intended to go. Would have been great to see a game at PP again, but due to my wife's health issues it wasn't to be.

Watching on the telly Carlton were obviously faster, as was said on the telly our AFLW team has a mosquito fleet like the men had in the early eighties. We killed Richmond in the ruck too.

I've never been a fan of Frederick, she's one dimensional. If she doesn't takes the mark, she's not in the contest, she's just so slow.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:08 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

beowulf wrote:
Carlton: 1 - 5 - 11 1 - 8 - 14 5 - 9 - 39 6 - 12 - 48
Richmond 0 - 0 - 0 0 - 2 - 2 0 - 2 - 2 2 - 2 - 14

I had a very enjoyable evening yesterday down at Ikon Park, where the girls took on Richmond in their 1st ever AFLW game. I enjoyed the fact that we won. I was reasonably impressed by what I saw as far as our team was concerned.

Some notes:
[1] Richmond appeared all night to want to be the aggressors. They threw our girls around and tackled over-enthusiastically. They are trying to reproduce the pressure their men's team produces. It didn't work. They gifted us with a lot of frees due to their stupid tactics. However, it may well be sign that some of our girls, especially Maddy P, are going to targeted.
Our tackling, on the other hand, was no less aggressive, but a LOT more intelligent. The Tigs were under pressure every time they got the ball.
I was really pleased with our pressure and intensity, but disappointed that the Umps didn't rub out the girl throwers at the first opportunity.

[2] Our rucks were excellent on the night. Both Ali Downie and Bree Moody really played well, probably the first time they have both done it in the same game. Moody's athleticism in the middle was excellent and her marking was improved. More importantly, her taps were 1000% better. In 2018 every one of her taps went to the opposition. Not so last night. And she didn't always just thump it forward, but guided some great taps to Maddy P and the rest of the mids. Her own clearances were excellent, reminding me of Matthew Kreuzer. or Nic Nat. Ali Downie took some nice marks under pressure and her taps were strong, until the last quarter, where the taller Richmond girl made her first impression.
Importantly, both girls something as forwards, which has not always been the case.

[3] I was very pleased by Grace Egan and Lucy McEvoy, both of whom had excellent debuts. Bother girls looked like they belonged. Joanne Doonan wasn't bad either, off the bench. The Irish lass has a lot of work to do on her kicking, which was really up in the year. But she appears to have a future. Voamua Lalolfi, on the other hand, didn't have a big night. She was a bit overwhelmed by the experience a bit. However, she didn't give her opponents much of the ball and was willing in the tough stuff.

[4] How good is Tayla Harris? Now to get her to kick straight! She played mainly at CHF and dominated her position.

[5] We managed to really curtail Richmond's name players. Conti had 13 disposals, but not a lot of influence. Brennan had even less of the ball. Fredericks was toweled up. Her only contribution was a mark and goal. Our defenders really took the Richmond forwards to the cleaners.

[6] Nick Stevens was a disappointment at half forward. I would rather her on the wing.

[7] Darcy Vescio: so near and yet so far. Darcy was clearly a lot better and a lot fitter than last season, but her touch and her kicking haven't returned yet. She flew for a few big marks, but mistimed them badly. She tried to break some tackles and got caught. However, she continued to get the ball. She was quite reasonable in the middle, because she is a smart player. Her passing to team mates made goals. There was a lot to like, but she hasn't got the touch yet. I think one of the reasons is that she played so few VFLW games in 2019. She really has the yips going for set shots too. But the signs were positive. I hope to see her more in the midfield rotations.

[8] I thought we were in real trouble during the warm-up when Jayde van Dyke went down. However, she did get on the park and had a strong game in defence when she came on during the 1st quarter. She and Charlotte Wilson and Harrington were excellent in the area and on the ground.

[9] The lighting was still a problem. I found it difficult being on the southern side of the ground, as 90% of the play was on the northern side. It was difficult to mark my footy record (which was also a let down - no place to score) and make out some of the numbers.

[10] We made so many chances, but still have issues converting them. We really have to work on that if we are to be a contender. We could have had 10 goals up before half time with a little better ball handling, etc.

Excellent summary. I thought Moody was very poor last season but she was a revelation in this game. Her pick ups below her knees were excellent. The only differing view for me was Egan. I like her aggression but she needs to give the ball off more instead of trying to do it all herself. The forward structure looks very exciting with the fast smalls down there.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:40 pm 
Robert Walls

Just about the best I've seen us play live. Looking forward to letting some air out of Collingwood's tyres next week.