Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:26 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:26 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

His description of O'Brien is miles off the mark. Obviously he has a solid grasp of the game but when he doesn't actually know something, he should admit it rather than make shit up.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:46 pm 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
Rexy wrote:

Mick is a good observor of the game, nd a good coach down Keilor way and a good bloke.

He doesnt mention Dow's kicking, which was the issue....and Teague cant let him do what he wants in the seniors if he needs to work on his kicking, and

OBrien just lacks the physical presence for AFL when its his time to go...I'm reading that OBrien needs to develop in the VFL from what Mick says because he's not physically ready in 2019, but hey, he might be ready in 2020.

I'm not writing off any off them: Fisher Dow and OBrien.
I'm just disappointed with the lack of improvement in 2019.

And this will be a big test for Teague and the club.

Developing our midfield, Dow, O'Brien and Fisher - I rate them all however I do not see them (Dow and Fisher) playing lock down forward roles. Cant rely on Ed, Cripps, Murphy and Walsh all the time. Need to rotate others through our midfield.

Kennedy, not sure he can be a perm forward 100% of the time.

Now it's all about developing some of our 2nd and 3rd yr players to the next level. No doubt Teague has rejuvenated the club however I'm really looking forward to see how he takes us to the next level. Can't really expect any more from Cripps, Ed and Murphy.

Our backs have been very good for most of the year, it's all about the midfield and forwards.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:08 pm 
Robert Walls

I was concerned about Weitering and SPS twelve months ago. Weitering has been fantastic and SPS has found his spot.

Give it twelve months for Dow and LOB. They will get there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:48 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

toddkurnski wrote:
I was concerned about Weitering and SPS twelve months ago. Weitering has been fantastic and SPS has found his spot.

Hope so.
Believe so too TBH.

I don't think SPS will spend the rest of his caeer at HBF.
Coach can do anything and Teague has played him off HB.
His best games , imo, have been as a midfielder; in wet conditions too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:14 pm 
Ken Hunter

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019- ... eason-wrap

Touch-wood almost the entire squad should be on the park for a fair chunk of the pre-season. Always a good sign.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:21 am 
Banned

10 wins as base case on generic improvement. Pending on who comes in then maybe 11-12 wins. Quality small forwards can win games and plenty of them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:23 pm 
Robert Walls

Cazzesman wrote:
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019-08-30/injury-report-season-wrap

Touch-wood almost the entire squad should be on the park for a fair chunk of the pre-season. Always a good sign.

Regards Cazzesman

Touch wood. I’ll be doing this.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:27 pm 
Ken Hunter

toddkurnski wrote:

:clap: . We just never learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:02 am 
Rod Ashman

I think 10 wins next year is par.
I expected 6-8 wins this year and we ended up achieving that basically in half a year.

I wouldn’t be pencilling in 2 wins against Melbourne. They had an off year and no way they will be as bad next year - if they are, OMG!!

I have no problem playing Richmond, Collingwood and Essendon* twice next year - we need to relish not fear these games! More games against the best teams at the G. That’s how we’ll get much better and faster!

10 wins.
Natural improvement from the young’ns.
Better forward entries.
A couple of notable elevations from the VFL team (eg. Stocker).
A good recruit or two.

Bonus: Finals and the emergence of TDK as our next senior ruckman.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:23 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I have just wasted a day watching the wins from last year's second half under Teague. Well sort of wasted a day, I can do that when my missus isn't at home.
I would like to make a few observations regarding the current list and what they may or may not be able to achieve next year if they can stay on the park. I am not taking into account anybody new, they will be a bonus as far as i am concerned.
BACKS
We have a great back line when they are all together and the depth is reasonable to boot. Jones and Weitering are getting better every season. Weitering was looking confident and composed in the latter half. Jones backs himself and that won't always result in the best outcome but when he is on, he makes us all taller. His field kicking is very good. Marchbank is a great third tall who can slot in as a KPP when needed. He is cool under pressure. Newman backs himself and is a great kick of the footy. There were knocks on him here on TC but he really stood up when he had to and we were playing without Jones and Marchbank. Plowman is brave and capable. Simmo still goes OK and SPS looked like he was settling in down there but I hope he can go forward into the midfield at some stage. Goddard is a good depth player and we still don't know how good a couple of others are because they can't get fit. Doc is an unknown factor at this stage. If he gets back to is best, it probably won't be next year but he will be solid at worst unless he gets injured again. (touches wood). Ben Silvagni probably isn't ready.

MIDS
Firstly, even though our 2019 midfield was made up of relative lightweights apart from Cripps and Curnow, both of whom are big-bodied, they ran out the year well. Walsh, say no more. Despite the knocks on him here, O'Brien was influential in a lot of those wins. His tank is massive and especially late in games he could make space and was influential in a heap of chains of handballs, often at the end when the ball got to the wing, HFF and he delivered it pretty well into the F50. Dow doesn't mind the hard stuff and will get bigger. Murphy had a good second half playing in his natural position. Fisher is a lightweight and I am not sure if he will make it as a mid but with ball in hand in space, he is quick and a good user. His problems stem from his wanting to play inside IMO when he is too small. Gibbons should get more midfield time. He is a ball magnet and a hard nut, is two sided and reads the play well. DeLuca I reserve my judgement but he is at worst a decent depth player. For mine, the biggest potential improvement we have in this squad in the mids are Kennedy and Setterfield at 22 and 23 y/o. Kennedy was drafted in the top ten as a mid. Setterfield want inside the top 10 as a mid/winger but both are big-bodied and I think with a full pre-season under their belts, they will be there to assist Cripps. Setterfield may well stay out on the wing but that's fine. The other mid for 2020 is Jack. He went through there a few times this year, the most notable when he went to Fyfe and slowed him down. His position as a third forward is still precarious but he is nothing if not versatile and we know we get 100% from him every week. I'll include Cunningham in the mids even though he might well be included in the forwards. He is good when he can get on the park but he can't string games together. Lang is still only 23 and has development in him. I'm not prepared to write him off yet. Stocker looks OK but he might well play back.

RUCKS
Kreuzer had a solid year and played about 19 games, which is as good as we can expect. He is a fantastic servant of the club, hard at it, body on the line player but his tapwork is below par. Hitouts to advantage are becoming more and more important as we saw from the prelim. Grundy had 73 hit outs in that game and only 7 went to Collingwood players. They lost the clearances. Phillips is a better tap ruck but isn't as good at other aspects of the game so Kreuzer remains the #1 choice. TDK's development is super important. We probably need another ruck for the future. Casboult rucks pretty well and his work at both ends of the ground has improved out of sight. Whether or not we have him next year and beyond will be important to our ruck stocks.

FORWARDS
We have two marking beasts and one pretty versatile forward around which to build a game plan inside F50. Of those, Curnow has a huge tank and for mine should be allowed to roam high chasing the footy. I like what Dimma said about Dusty. "We name him on the field and he just goes where ever he feels like." Harry can mark anything he can reach but his kicking is as bad as Levi's ever was. A decent kicking coach can fix that. It's all in his run up and lackadaisical approach to the ball drop. McGovern should be fit if he gets a pre-season. What we lack are small forwards. As a result we have played Gibbons and DeLuca there and even Jack. Our reserve stocks are ordinary it seems, Polson surely won't survive this year's cut. Owie was speculative. Cotterell won't make it or he'd have played by now. Finbar is an unknown quantity.

That's not a bad list on paper. We need a reasonable run with injuries and a few of the sub-10 point losses to go our way and we should win 10 games next year. At least. We should be looking at a 9-12 finish on the ladder ready to launch in 2021.

So who goes from this year?
Daisy
Garlett
Kerr
Lobbe
Schumacher
Polson?
O'Dwyer?
McCreadie?
Williamson?
Does Caz get traded?

That makes 5 sure vacancies with others questionable.

Who comes in?
As I understand it, we have to select two at the draft in any one year.
Gibbons for sure (4 vacancies left)
De Luca?
Pick 9 or another we trade for (3)
Pick 41 or another we trade for (2)
Papley?
Martin?
Eddie? If we get the other two, do we even think he is worth it?
Someone else?

Interesting few weeks coming up and then six months of waiting...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:23 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Nice review BS, as always depth is an issue. Core players all playing to their best and we're killing it. But... as we know, that rarely happens..

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:40 am 
Bruce Doull

Parko has big expectations

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 91fb6e9ebe

https://outline.com/VAV6Tk

Quote:
He led Carlton to its last premiership and coaching great David Parkin has anointed David Teague as the club’s next, seeing similarities between this team and the 1991 side he took over that would win the flag four years later.

One of Carlton’s greatest-ever coaches David Parkin has declared Blues’ fans who stuck fat with the club through years of futility are about to be richly rewarded.

Parkin, who led the club to premierships in 1981, ’82 and ’95, believes the young Blues can make the finals as soon as next season.

“They’ve got a great core, they’ve drafted well and it’s a good, talented base in which supporters should be really confident about and look forward to, I reckon in the next two or three years, where they could — should — make finals and probably win some of those,” Parkin told the Herald Sun.

In 2019, the Blues won one-game less than the 1991 side — seven — and finished 16th with a percentage of 84.5 — Parkin’s team finished 11th in a 15-team competition, winning eight games with a percentage of 88.88.

The current crop of Blues has an even younger age profile than the 1991 side.

Patrick Cripps (24) is already a star, they will want more from key man Mitch McGovern (24) and 22-year-old Charlie Curnow looms as their most talented prospect, along with forward mate Harry McKay (21).

Sam Docherty (25) will be like a new recruit after knee injuries ruined his past two seasons, while Nic Newman is a seasoned 26 and Kade Simpson is the grandaddy at 35.

At just 19, Sam Walsh could be the next Ratten, while the Blues will hope fellow teenagers Paddy Dow or Liam Stocker can become stars like Brown and Christou.

Ruckman Matthew Kreuzer (30) is the same age as Madden was when he won the club’s best and fairest in 1991.

Throw in 21-year-olds Sam Petrevski-Seton, Jacob Weitering, Jack Silvagni and Zac Fisher and the talented nucleus Parkin speaks of is clear.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:38 pm 
Rod Ashman

Donstuie wrote:
Parko has big expectations

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 91fb6e9ebe

https://outline.com/VAV6Tk

Quote:
He led Carlton to its last premiership and coaching great David Parkin has anointed David Teague as the club’s next, seeing similarities between this team and the 1991 side he took over that would win the flag four years later.

One of Carlton’s greatest-ever coaches David Parkin has declared Blues’ fans who stuck fat with the club through years of futility are about to be richly rewarded.

Parkin, who led the club to premierships in 1981, ’82 and ’95, believes the young Blues can make the finals as soon as next season.

“They’ve got a great core, they’ve drafted well and it’s a good, talented base in which supporters should be really confident about and look forward to, I reckon in the next two or three years, where they could — should — make finals and probably win some of those,” Parkin told the Herald Sun.

In 2019, the Blues won one-game less than the 1991 side — seven — and finished 16th with a percentage of 84.5 — Parkin’s team finished 11th in a 15-team competition, winning eight games with a percentage of 88.88.

The current crop of Blues has an even younger age profile than the 1991 side.

Patrick Cripps (24) is already a star, they will want more from key man Mitch McGovern (24) and 22-year-old Charlie Curnow looms as their most talented prospect, along with forward mate Harry McKay (21).

Sam Docherty (25) will be like a new recruit after knee injuries ruined his past two seasons, while Nic Newman is a seasoned 26 and Kade Simpson is the grandaddy at 35.

At just 19, Sam Walsh could be the next Ratten, while the Blues will hope fellow teenagers Paddy Dow or Liam Stocker can become stars like Brown and Christou.

Ruckman Matthew Kreuzer (30) is the same age as Madden was when he won the club’s best and fairest in 1991.

Throw in 21-year-olds Sam Petrevski-Seton, Jacob Weitering, Jack Silvagni and Zac Fisher and the talented nucleus Parkin speaks of is clear.

Fellow premiership heroes Greg Williams, Anthony Koutoufides, Earl Spalding, Andrew McKay and Scott Camporeale were yet to pull on the navy Blue.

So as long as we can add players of similar calibre to our current list we should be right! {Pretty handy quintet though}.

Personally I'd be happy with a mid-table finish with games into Docherty and some of the kids. This is on the proviso that we keep all our 2020 draft picks. If we start trading away our future then we're entitled to expect better performance now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:23 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I want us to be highly competitive against the sides that have physically taken us apart over the past couple of years. Namely GWS and Kangas.
If we can physically compete against all teams, we'll be in with a show for real improvement.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:17 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

At the start of this season I expected a minimum of 6 wins with finals the year after. Nothing has changed that opinion.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:49 pm 
Robert Walls

I just want to feel hope that we’re not a basket case. This is what happens when you buy your first club membership in 2002.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:19 am 
Garry Crane

We salvaged the season and got to where I would have hoped.

Next season 8-12 on ladder would be fair result.

A pre season of adding muscle mass to our youngsters in dow and fisher, how strong is sos gonna become with another preseason under his belt (already has massive strength in his core).

Want to see both McKay/Curnow put their hands up as key attack and demand the ball they are our roughy and buddy!

Betts to add another 40 goals to our team and take sps on as his project.

Get on board guys and put ya seat belts on have a feeling this is gonna be a hell of a ride!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:53 pm 
Bob Chitty

Although this is hard to say now (prior to the list being finalised and seeing the health of our list in the week prior to round 1), I think 10 wins is about par for the course. 10 wins means we just miss the 8 but we’re very likely to be in the hunt for it for a portion of the season which is what our players and supporters need. We won 6 games in half a year of football so there’s no reason we can’t get to 10 wins. We need to see real improvement regardless of win/loss record. It’ll be extremely hard to cop another bottom 4 season next year

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:26 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

An interesting year for the young and at times experienced Carlton team

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:40 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Effes wrote:
An interesting year for the young and at times experienced Carlton team

If you take a Kade Simpson out of a team and replace him with a debutant you’re removing 325 games.

Simmo missed rounds 7, 8, 9 and 11.

Look at the change in average games played for those rounds.

They were our four games with the least average games played purely because Simmo not playing takes about 14 games off our average.

Maybe it means we’re [REDACTED] without Simmo but I don’t think the games average is particularly reliable.

Mort Sahl

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next