Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:26 pm 
Bruce Doull

If I were to describe this season in one word it would be...salvaged. The first and second half of 2019 were poles apart.

Single highlight was the crowd's roar from Harry's goal last week.

Lowest moment was the GWS performance.

For 2020 I want to see:
- Our players fully fit and stronger on the back of a solid Andrew Russell preseason
- Greater emphasis on forward pressure, goalkicking and tackling
- Improved efficiency kicking into F50 (including a new coach for the area)
- Improved integration with the Northern Blues

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:58 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

There were some positives this year led by the performance of Sam Walsh who exceeded my expectations in a massive way.
Silvagni, SPS and Weiters all benefitted from a massive preseason effort which you could predict at the practice against the Hawks.

Sadly though another coach sakced due to some players finding it too uncomfortable being uncomfortable and essentially going on strike.
My hope is that AR flogs them on the track and hardens up a few minds.

Expectations - hope SOS can deliver an established A grader or two in the trade period to help us claw back some ground on the contenders.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:01 pm 
Rod Ashman

Salvaged something - 7 wins was al says thereabouts going into the year

Expect a lot of improvement over summer to come from Fish, Dow, O’Brien.

Be super to see a fit and hungry pair in Stocker and TDK.

Boy would love to have a young gun like Narkle coming through, to secure a small forward like Dalhouse and lure a mid (although + million on a cogniglio doesn’t sit well with me)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:06 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Amazing turnaround in the Stocker trade from 11 weeks ago, when it looked very likely we would be giving up pick #1 in return for #13 or #14.

Dow, OBrien, Walsh, Fisher, SPS and TDK should benefit greatly by adding a few kg's of muscle to their frame over the preseason.
Stocker can work on his endurance and Setterfield can do lots of sprints to improve his speed off the mark.
Harry Mackay can spend 6 months practising his set shots for goal - from 30-40m out directly in front.

Lots to look forward to in 2020.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:27 am 
Rod Ashman

I look forward to see what happens over the preseason with Dow, Fisher, SPS and Kennedy. Does Teague develop their midfield game? I don't see Fisher and Dow in particular being lock down forwards only. Both struggled this year playing forward. I rate the both of them and look forward to seeing what happens with them in 2020.

Does SPS stay back?
Not sure Kennedy has the mobility to play forward all the time, his strengths are his marking and kicking as well as his inside work.

I hope we target quality mids, Stocker will be a bonus.

Quality small forwards that can kick multiple goals would be nice.

Interesting times ahead.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:42 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Final 8 next year.
Some excellent additions to our team.
Outstanding result from our new coach.
Hold on to yer navy blue hats

Gonna be an AWESOME ride.
Those are my expectations.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:47 am 
Rod McGregor

Hope restored by Teague after the rebuild looked shot.

2020 is the year it stops being about development and starts being about wins and moving up the ladder. A 50/50 season of 11 wins and in finals contention should be the expectation.

Not having three of the first six games interstate and three of the top four sides in the last four rounds would also be handy for a bottom four side.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:07 pm 
John Nicholls

My biggest hope is that we don't shit the bed and throw two first round picks and 2 million dollars at Coniglio.

One injury, or maybe just a lack of form, and we're back to square one and a whole lot poorer with a high "opportunity cost".

If we can nab Papley and Martin for some later picks and maybe an astute trade or two, and take our first pick to the draft I'd be happy with that.

It's too early for cream... we need cake. More solid, dependable contributors to raise the level of the bottom 4 players that run out each week. That, and a brand of accountable, direct, modern football will move us forward.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:28 pm 
Rod Ashman

robertbb wrote:
My biggest hope is that we don't shit the bed and throw two first round picks and 2 million dollars at Coniglio.

One injury, or maybe just a lack of form, and we're back to square one and a whole lot poorer with a high "opportunity cost".

If we can nab Papley and Martin for some later picks and maybe an astute trade or two, and take our first pick to the draft I'd be happy with that.

It's too early for cream... we need cake. More solid, dependable contributors to raise the level of the bottom 4 players that run out each week. That, and a brand of accountable, direct, modern football will move us forward.

Totally agree with all that.
The draft is how you build a premiership list.
If we can score a FA or two with reasonable deals well and good, but let's not throw everything at another "messiah".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:56 pm 
Geoff Southby

robertbb wrote:

Yep ! reckon thats spot on Bobbie............go get a couple of good ordinary midfielders ( Menagola,Crouch etc.etc ) instead of putting our eggs in one basket.Go for the big one next year ( Whitfield ).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:03 pm 
formerly BlueRob

robertbb wrote:

Am I missing something here? We don't need to thrown any picks to get Coniglio. He is a free agent?

We won't get Papley cheap ... he is a contracted player. I reckon he will cost us a first round pick (but we should get a later pick back as part of deal). Not sure what Martin would cost us?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:12 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

2019 Review?
2020 Expectations?

REVIEW

Lost Docherty & Pickett: Downer b4 season starts.
More injuries Williamson Marchbank Jones Charlie: spine decimated

Lost 4 close ones under a goal. Felt thereabouts but Ripped off
Beat Bulldogs: Felt assured. C.Curnow, McKay Weiters Jones Dow Silvagni in the middle
Sacking Bolton. Stunned me
Suspensions & Fines for Cartlton players unwarranted: Feel targeted. Did someone point a bone?
Then the Teague Train. Toot Toot. Winner.

Walsh. Wow. Rising Star: A they cant tke that away from us this time!
Cripps for Brownlow. Possible. Capt has a great season.
The vets Murphy Ed Curnow Thomas and Simmo have still got it.
Midfield close to sorted.
Backline strong and lots of depth. Casboult a revelation.
Can bank on kids. Dow, Setterfield, Stocker, Cuningham
McGovern comes good in Andrew Russell's care.
Gibbons a bonus. We needed a mature running machine: we got more.

Question marks on small bodies: Fisher OBrien LeBois
Pick 3 for Stocker plus Pick 8, Tick.

Gil's Congilio comments: Dirty Commission. Cheated again.
Need a tap Ruckman. Kreuzer's ruckwork wa a liability. Casboult good.

Season Salvaged, and we win the Adelaide trade thus far.
Destination Club.

2020 EXPECTATION

Docherty, Charlie Marchbank Jones, hoping Williamson return

Cripps Walsh Ed Curnow Murphy in the middle.

2 x 1st round picks on the Trade Table
I don't want to sell the farm for FA Cognilio. Want players who want to come to Carlton.

Solid Backline.

Ruckman: Hope TDK comes good. Casboult 1st & 2nd Ruck or find one. Darcy Cameron from Swans is a start.

Andrew Russell you've had them all year. Now here's another preseason with the players

Expect a 2 FA's and few stars from the trade period: Ellis and Gray as FA's. Martin, Crouch and Papley for picks.

Teague Train continues its ride. Carlton become a powerhouse again.. Mad supporter base. Record Memberships. 70,000

Finals.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

Just in or just out of the eight next year with ten to twelve wins. Less than ten and I can see trouble brewing at Princes Park.

As has been said, we need more cake not cream at the moment. The time to throw big money around to lure a champion is when our premiership window is open (2022?).

We continue to make hard work of scoring, the amount of inside fifties we have per goal is a real worry.

I dream we can surge up the ladder like Brisbane, but I think that fifteenth (or thereabouts) to top four as Brisbane did this year is too much to hope for. I said to a friend after last season that I thought his beloved Brions rebuild was two years ahead of Carlton's. I'd now be very happy if in two years Carlton are where the Brions now are.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

As a bottom 4 club,
Carlton has a favourable draw.

Likely to play twice:
GCS x2
Melb x2
Nth x2
Adel x2
Syd x2
StK x2

There's 12 games.

We beat

Bris x1
WB x1

That puts us in Top 4

We should play finals if we drop a couple and win a couple of the following:

Hawks...........lost by 3 pts or 3 seconds with McKay marking after the siren.
Geelong........we owe them, hope its in Melb.
WCE...........nearly got'em. Were in front at 3/4 time, FMD
Rich.............nearly got'em. Weather changed at MCG suited them. Got close
Coll..............umpires got us we were in front with 10 to go...plus Dow misses. They're our bitches.
GWS..........tables will turn if we have Cognilio. If its in Melb.
Ess.............these guys are soft. We played them when the players stopped playing for Bolts. We win.
Port..........may as well put this down for a win. Esp so if its in Melb. If notAdel is like a home game for Blues on the rise.

Give us the Cup!

Question is will Jack Russell transform the players' bodies over summer. If so....give us the Cup!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:08 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I love the preseason when we aren't in the finals.

I love the preseason before Trades start.

I love preseason before season starts.

I miss the real thing around Feb, when there's no International Cricket, and summer has sizzled.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:04 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Aah, Bondi.
You are the glass half full one.
Not that I massively disagree with any of that.
The draw should favour us as you pointed out, The issue is whether the AFL can resist the temptation to pit us against Collingwood, Richmond and Essendon* twice each to boost revenue.
I am not sure about Coneglio. If he is going to cost us the farm, I'f prefer to wait one more year and see who pops up. I'd prefer to pry Elliot from Collingwood, who would come cheaper and then go for Martin and Ellis or someone similar in the mids.
I share your fears for Fisher. he is useless in his present form. I have waxed lyrical in his thread about his inability to attack the footy on his preferred side. He should be a pure outside player on the left wing or a more inside one on the right wing. Either of those will allow him to get on to his left side without having to go through the traffic.
SPS worries me as well. He looks like a downhill skier to me. Yes, he has the skills but he goes missing when we are getting beaten. I don't like him off HB. Put him in the middle where the ball comes to him and make him work.
Kruezer is not the answer, regardless of the question. TDK has to get exposure or we need another interim. Ryder would be OK for a year or two.
O'Brien, I agree needs to bulk up.
Dow same same.
Harry is our biggest worry. Unless he can convert his shots for goal he might as well leave or play ruck. Sav needs to get on to him and develop a routine of some sort. He is far too lackadaisical.
Russell has a big job comiing up as far as the fitness and body shapes of a lot of our list.

As far as next year is concerned, I am looking at 8-12 at th end of the year.
That will happen if :
We get Charlie back, McGovern gets it right, Charlie kicks straight and we find a small forward who can kick about 25 goals.
We get a couple of handy mids to add to the collection. We don't have to get Coneglio, a;though he would obviously be a huge bonus. I expect Jack to play there more next year. He will be a bull if he develops his body over the pre-season. Setterfield and Kennedy will both have pre-seasons. Neither did last year. Stocker and SPS to the midfield rotation. If Fisher goes, SPS can play wing. TDK come on down.
The back six is established and if they can stay on the ark, we don't need anything there. Doc will be a bonus and Williamson if he ever makes it. Simmo will be phased out next year after a magnificent career displaying a level of courage other players must be in awe of.

The modern game demands a game plan incorporating speed and skill plus ferocity at the man and ball. That's Teague's department.

Bring it on. Only seven months to go.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:11 am 
Harry Vallence

BigBlueWave wrote:
robertbb wrote:

Am I missing something here? We don't need to thrown any picks to get Coniglio. He is a free agent?

We won't get Papley cheap ... he is a contracted player. I reckon he will cost us a first round pick (but we should get a later pick back as part of deal). Not sure what Martin would cost us?

I’d definitely trade our 2019 & 20 1st rounders for Martin and Papley and throw Princess Park at a Stephen Coniglio.
Should we mange to bag all 3 elite players and a few solid foot soldiers, it will be finals in 2020, and if not definitely 2021.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:48 am 
Ken Hunter

Finals.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:21 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/08/27/the-young-players-david-teague-must-free-up-in-2020/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:44 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rexy wrote:

Mick is a good observor of the game, nd a good coach down Keilor way and a good bloke.

He doesnt mention Dow's kicking, which was the issue....and Teague cant let him do what he wants in the seniors if he needs to work on his kicking, and

OBrien just lacks the physical presence for AFL when its his time to go...I'm reading that OBrien needs to develop in the VFL from what Mick says because he's not physically ready in 2019, but hey, he might be ready in 2020.

I'm not writing off any off them: Fisher Dow and OBrien.
I'm just disappointed with the lack of improvement in 2019.