Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:28 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:09 pm 
Rod Ashman

Blue Vain wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Deluca had 14 disposals and 5 tackles and Lang had 4 disposals and 3 tackles, both with no goals or goal assists. It's pretty safe to say the pressure was there but for no result = failed.

As I said, don't just look at their stats. What was their role?
I didn't go to the game but I know Houli and Grimes both played below their average. That didn't happen by accident.
Perhaps they played a negating or disrupting role. Perhaps they performed the roles they were given well. Saying their performance was a failure is short sighted without actually knowing what their role was.

I was at the game BV and Lang in particular positioned himself on the attacking side of most of the contests. I understand if the ball flicked forward he would have been in a good position especially the way the ball was pinging around due to the wet weather. As you know the Tigers set up beautifully from defence and often were running the ball out from our forward line in a chain of handballs through the middle. I would have thought after a few failed attempts in trying to be attacking, Lang should have been more defensive rather than pushing forward when the ball was still to be won. I watched Lang a few times in the NB's and he did the same, Fasolo is similar they generally will push forward of the play. Now I know this can pay off however in today's style of play, small forwards also need to be defensive at times and stop the ball coming out so easy. Lang and Fasolo play similar to Josh Jenkins in terms of the way they push forward so quickly before the ball has been won.

Different if we have control of the ball but when we don't they shouldn't always look for the cheap possession by hoping the ball is flicked forward. this may have been a ploy to push the Tigers defenders back but they paid him no respect and after a while we should have given up on this approach and make him more accountable to stop their run from defence. I felt for our defenders who were often under the pump however once again I thought the defenders were terrific.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:15 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
Sidefx wrote:
Deluca had 14 disposals and 5 tackles and Lang had 4 disposals and 3 tackles, both with no goals or goal assists. It's pretty safe to say the pressure was there but for no result = failed.

As I said, don't just look at their stats. What was their role?
I didn't go to the game but I know Houli and Grimes both played below their average. That didn't happen by accident.
Perhaps they played a negating or disrupting role. Perhaps they performed the roles they were given well. Saying their performance was a failure is short sighted without actually knowing what their role was.

So for the last 8-9 weeks Teague, posters on here and players have been applauding the new attacking game plan. Yet all of a sudden our two senior small forwards are possibly playing a negating role to disrupt what, a very good Tiger defence? To help our talls, that went missing? Clearly that was a massive failure, especially in wet conditions. So it's either a coaching issue and/or player issue.
Sorry BV but you are really grasping at straws here or you're really naive on their role and/or performance.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:27 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Thanks for the insight. Yes, I must be naive to think we'd be trying to negate some of the better defenders in the game.
Keeping Houli to his 3rd lowest possession numbers for the year. All Australian candidate Dylan Grimes to his lowest possession tally for the year. Massive failure.

Lucky you're here to set me straight on the strategies and tactics of the contest. FWIW, I'm not saying that's the role they played, as I said, I didn't see the game. I'm just suggesting there may have been roles for the players that weren't evident to those who aren't in the know.
Not including yourself of course. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:45 am 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
Thanks for the insight. Yes, I must be naive to think we'd be trying to negate some of the better defenders in the game.
Keeping Houli to his 3rd lowest possession numbers for the year. All Australian candidate Dylan Grimes to his lowest possession tally for the year. Massive failure.

Lucky you're here to set me straight on the strategies and tactics of the contest. FWIW, I'm not saying that's the role they played, as I said, I didn't see the game. I'm just suggesting there may have been roles for the players that weren't evident to those who aren't in the know.
Not including yourself of course. :thumbsup:

C'mon BV, you like giving it but you can't take it.....at all! :grin:

Surely you're scraping the bottom of the barrel now. Have you thought for one minute that the majority of the game was played in the middle to their forward half of the ground. It's pretty easy to have your stats down when the ball is not near you and when it's easy to clear the ball from defence without the need to chip it around when it does go down there. 59 inside 50s to 43, there's 16 possible possessions right there. FWIW Houli's lowest possession numbers were in round 7 against the Dogs when the Tigers got belted by 47 points and Grimes only had 4 more possessions than on Sunday. Yet the Dogs still managed to hit the scoreboard.

It's not about being in the know BV, it's common sense. Something you seem to be eluding for the sake of arguing a moot point.

So unless you have some solid evidence that the message from coaching was to only defend and negate and not score (basically a defender) so the other players could hit the scoreboard (but didn't). Then it's still a fail for me.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:53 am 
John James

Think I prefer Keogh's posts

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:13 pm 
Geoff Southby

windy wrote:

I like both of 'em.................nice to hear various opinions and different outlooks.Thats what TC is all about surely.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:48 pm 
Geoff Southby

Mickstar wrote:
windy wrote:

I like both of 'em.................nice to hear various opinions and different outlooks.Thats what TC is all about surely.

Thanks Mick.

Yep, there is nothing wrong with robust discussions of different perspectives.

I have my view, BV has his. Both are valid and at the same time we both could be way off the mark.
IMO BV always has valid points to bring up and can back them up with data and it's always great to learn more about our team and football in general because of these discussions.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:26 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
Mickstar wrote:
windy wrote:

Thanks Mick.

Yep, there is nothing wrong with robust discussions of different perspectives.

I have my view, BV has his. Both are valid and at the same time we both could be way off the mark.
IMO BV always has valid points to bring up and can back them up with data and it's always great to learn more about our team and football in general because of these discussions.

Well said .. all of you... all of you !!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:12 pm 
Ken Hunter

Group hug!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:15 pm 
Geoff Southby

Thanks Bondi, and why the hell not GreatEx, "great" idea. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6