Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 341, 342, 343, 344, 345, 346, 347 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:38 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Sombrero wrote:
17th Premiership wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
The press almost to a man have been saying for weeks BB should go, he has no plan, no development, no wins, can't get the team over 100 points and now he's gone they are saying how unjust it was.

The reality is they have NFI and are just trying to sell papers or get 'likes'.

To be fair, most in the media are saying it was the right call.
They are then asking whether others also need to shoulder the blame.

For mine, I think the questions about the Board are fair but not because they backed and then sacked Bolton. Boards need to be able to fire coaches without their own positions being questioned because of what turns out to have been a bad appointment. Otherwise, they just won’t fire them.
I don’t know either way about how good the Board is or not but I do note they have pretty much transformed the admin and esp football department at the same time as SOS & Co have turned over the list.
And SOS has done a pretty good job transforming our list - there are hardly any players he has got rid of that I am that upset about. We made reasonably good trades for Tuohy, Gibbs and Henderson.
The only query for me is about whether he could have replaced them with better options. Personally, I think it was worth it to give previously highly regarded juniors another shot to see if we could find a gem. Yes, a few more seasoned players would have been good but then again, we still have Murphy, Kreuzer, Docherty, Simpson and Thomas as well as Cripps.

I’m hopefully that Teague can give them the freedom to play and that whoever the next coach, he is able to get the best out of them. Because I think it’s a pretty good list.

I agree.
On paper it looks oK. We have enough raw talent to build a team around and if w can kep thm togethr, the wins will come.
Teague has got nothing to lose. If he can get the players and supporters happy with the way they turn up every week, he will have done OK preparing us all for next year.
Next year. I am so sick of it always being next year. I must admit I thought we would finish about 13-14 this year.
Maybe next year.

Without experienced talent coming in the off season, I think next year we will still be last, 3-5 wins.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:55 pm 
Ken Hunter

camelboy wrote:
Lace Out wrote:
I can't help but feel SOS and Bolts had a somewhat strained relationship.

This moment reiterated that for me.Image

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Plot twist: SOS did the Stocker trade deliberately to get Bolts sakced.

It worked a treat.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:38 pm 
Robert Walls

Really good interview with Docherty on RSN when talking about what Teague will bring, which I took as a reflection of what Bolton’s shortcomings as per the playing group might be.

Too many meetings
Too much strategy
Overly defensive for 4 years without a transition once the players had learnt this to also start incorporating a more attacking style into the game plan.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=381848

The whole thing is worth a listen. Good luck and get back out there Doc.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:41 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

So bring on number 23 then.

:wink:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:43 pm 
Harry Vallence

toddkurnski wrote:
Really good interview with Docherty on RSN when talking about what Teague will bring, which I took as a reflection of what Bolton’s shortcomings as per the playing group might be.

Too many meetings
Too much strategy
Overly defensive for 4 years without a transition once the players had learnt this to also start incorporating a more attacking style into the game plan.

So is that your deduction from his interview?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:53 pm 
Robert Walls

Trigger wrote:
toddkurnski wrote:

Too many meetings
Too much strategy

So is that your deduction from his interview?

Yes. Among other things. They asked how Teague will be different to Bolton. Those were my takeaways.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:23 pm 
Craig Bradley

Just listened to it. Great interview. Doc was raw and honest. I can see he loves Bolts as a person, but you could almost hear the frustration in his voice.

Agree that he did say "less meetings, less strategy" will come with Teague.

Interesting to hear him also say when asked what are the 3 things he wants to deliver to the Carlton fans, "unconditional effort", "play with more confidence, more free with the ball, and a level of enjoyment".

It was raw and revealing.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:03 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

If you listen to Teague’s interview on the club website, that backs up the above - he wants them to play with a bit more freedom. Yes pressure continues to be important but freedom.

Says a lot.

- Igor Stravinsky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:18 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

AIRCAV wrote:
Just listened to it. Great interview. Doc was raw and honest. I can see he loves Bolts as a person, but you could almost hear the frustration in his voice.

Agree that he did say "less meetings, less strategy" will come with Teague.

Interesting to hear him also say when asked what are the 3 things he wants to deliver to the Carlton fans, "unconditional effort", "play with more confidence, more free with the ball, and a level of enjoyment".

It was raw and revealing.
The 'less strategies, less meetings' really stood out as did the 'play to their talents' line by both Doc and Teague

Go Blues

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:04 pm 
Bruce Doull

I think you'll find it's pronounced hreefewer strategies, hreefewer meetings.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:12 pm 
Rod Ashman

toddkurnski wrote:

Too many meetings
Too much strategy

I was a bit unhappy about Bolts going ... but I'm more or less over it now. :wink:

What does concern me though is not repeating the past. We went through a "rigorous process" to choose Bolts. I took this to mean that he had to do a lot of Power Point presentations and the like to the committee and impress them with his "business plan" for improving on-field performance. He was the best at it.

So if that was in fact what happened, it's hardly a surprise that we end up with a guy with a penchant for statistics and meetings.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

Let's face it, if we're not a regular finalist within the next 3–5 years we'll be repeating the past. No use thinking it will be any different.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:09 pm 
Harry Vallence

camelboy wrote:
Let's face it, if we're not a regular finalist within the next 3–5 years we'll be repeating the past. No use thinking it will be any different.

Yup agree but I reckon three years at the most if not Teauge then a Ross Lyon to reignite the team and regain positive momentum otherwise were doom to more dismal mfree falling.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:47 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

This is a good article, with some interesting...bordering on disturbing content!

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/list-or-coach-carlton-is-about-to-find-out-20190606-p51vcn.html

Quote:
The club brought in impressive CEO Cain Liddle, football manager Brad Lloyd and conditioning expert Andrew Russell as well as solid assistants such as loyal Bolton supporter Cameron Bruce, former Crows assistant coach David Teague and respected defensive coach Dale Amos to lend him valuable support but he didn't always make the best use of what was around him.

Despite solid values, an extraordinary work ethic and an undeniable passion to improve the Blues, the reality was Bolton did not connect with a significant proportion of the players in the way the best senior coaches do.

I also agree with the (well...obvious) assessment that the bust for us has been our recruitment of seniors and/or discards that are useful in supporting the young talent.

SOS's strike rate at GWS was not bad at this, with us...not so......Brisbane's (as stated in the article) has been good...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:05 pm 
Ken Hunter

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2019-carltons-whirlwind-14-hours-and-brendon-boltons-sacking-from-a-journos-perspective/news-story/23b71924f52da29738b2669aab83aac7

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:10 pm 
Harry Vallence

Seriously whilst l truly believe Bolts is a stand up type of guy....I’m over the Bolts love in.

Enough already.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:00 pm 
Ken Hunter

There is article on the AFL website about Bolton.
Docherty did a radio interview today and mentioned that Bolts is struggling a bit.
The coaches association have made contact to offer any support.
I think the club did the right thing and it is amazing how quickly we moved on from him.
Hope he is okay and gets the necessary support he needs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:37 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Me too. Sad to hear that.
No doubt he will be ensconced in another club very soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:48 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

He’s left out club in a better position than Pagan and Malthouse, deserves to find a good place in the industry going forward.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:53 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

BigKev wrote:

What does concern me though is not repeating the past. We went through a "rigorous process" to choose Bolts. I took this to mean that he had to do a lot of Power Point presentations and the like to the committee and impress them with his "business plan" for improving on-field performance. He was the best at it.

Fascinating insight.
Perhaps if we just pick some names out of a hat, we'll get a better outcome. Or maybe we could just auction the job off on eBay? Hell, Geoffrey Edelston could be the next man up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 341, 342, 343, 344, 345, 346, 347 ... 350  Next