Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:21 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sydney Blue wrote:
They did ok and probably should have won it in the end just poor conversion killed them
Newman and Gibbons a bit of a reality check.

Would have been great to see Walsh kick the sealer he is a seriously good player.

Plowman 3 turn overs for 3 goals his disposal by foot woeful.

I thought Charlie was poor
Harry was good.
McGovern looking like Casboult MK11

Jones and Weiters were solid

Ed would have been better sitting on Treloar as he was by far and away the best out there

Apart from that why not use the other 2 on bench

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Haven't watched the game yet, but this was my concern a few weeks ago having our No.1 tagger sitting up forwards.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:23 pm 
Harry Vallence

I think we'll be one of the biggest beneficiaries of the rule changes this year. We're not going to get cricket scores kicked against us.

Scores conceded from kick ins will be considerably less as we'd be forced to go a lot longer rather than chip it around as we have last few years. We've also won the clearances most weeks, and think we're not going to get done over by players getting lost on the switch-over as much, and bobbing up forward, which happened far too often last year.

As Pendlebury showed today, smart ball users off half back are going to kick the shit out of us on a regular basis still. Still too reactive.

If we're a 4 goal better side from last year. 9 wins is achievable.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:35 pm 
Craig Bradley

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Until we stop bombing it long to the top of the square, our forwards will struggle.

McGovern just took possession on the wing, ignored Cunningham running past him into space and kicked it long to a contest that resulted in a Collingwood clearance.
Stupid, stupid, stupid.
But typical.

That is too much of an issue. I saw the first 3 qtrs only, so missed the good bit, and our use of the ball going into the F50 was no different to alot year. As i said, haven't seen the last qtr, and it is JLT after all.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:40 pm 
Craig Bradley

Sydney Blue wrote:
They did ok and probably should have won it in the end just poor conversion killed them
Newman and Gibbons a bit of a reality check.

Would have been great to see Walsh kick the sealer he is a seriously good player.

Plowman 3 turn overs for 3 goals his disposal by foot woeful.

I thought Charlie was poor
Harry was good.
McGovern looking like Casboult MK11

Jones and Weiters were solid

Ed would have been better sitting on Treloar as he was by far and away the best out there

Apart from that why not use the other 2 on bench

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

McKay gets to run up and down the ground, allows to get more into the game, while Charlie and Mitch are stuck in our forward line, which does nothing for any forward. No-one would want to be a forward at Carlton. McGovern may still be finding his way after losing some pre-season. Still looks off. He'll find being a forward at Carlton alot tougher than being a forward at the Crows but he will be good for us over a number of years.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:47 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I think what today shows is if you've got a low hack factor and your players learn to play modern footy, you can be in games. Helps that we win our share of clearances. The test in the real stuff will be whether our young mids can run out games and indeed quarters and whether our bottom four can perform better than in recent years. For example Garlett, Polson, Silvagni, Gibbons strike me as our bottom four or so right now and I think they're a marginal upgrade on the likes of Graham, Armfield, Kerridge etc. Polson is hardly convincing but he does have the odd piece of play that can create a goal or two.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:34 pm 
Ken Hunter

Not a bad effort today.
Our forward structure is not working that well, too tall and dropping too many marks.
SPS looks like he is in for a good year.
Not seeing anything to excite me in McGovern so far, hopefully he proves us wrong.
Just on 3/4 time it looked like Cripps injured his knee. He obviously was okay as he played out the last quarter.
It was a good hit out, only 10 more days until the real stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:05 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Big plus for me was that we were flogged for uncontested possessions especially early, but our defensive systems stood up pretty well. Would be good if Kennedy could come in and help Crippa in the heavy traffic.

Harry was great in the last, and Mitch although unsighted did look good in the last 10 minutes, as if the penny suddenly dropped. Charlie too did a few nice things late. We need to somehow isolate some of these guys in the forward line and not just bomb it in as we did too often.

Cunners did some great things.....his attack on the ball and explosive exit from a contest on the wing deep in the last Q was very good. The kid can play. Setters another game into him and did enough....he will be a real gun for us if he can stay healthy.

Sir Liam was good for most of the day, and Garlett did enough to suggest he may have found his spot down back for now.

We're a work in progress, but definitely improved on last year....even though it's only the JLT.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:30 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

More inside 50's, more scoring shots.
We were very rusty but the pressure in the last quarter was very good. Treloar said after the game Collingwood spoke at 3/4 time about finishing off strong but he also said they didn't deal with the pressure and heat we applied to the ball.
Having 58 inside 50's is a good number. 4.7 in the last quarter isn't.

If we can take that last quarter momentum into Round 1, I'll be happy. Phillips worked hard. Charlie had a pig that you wouldn't expect him to have again. McGovern was unsighted early but he seemed to start enjoying his footy in the last quarter and his output improved with it.

Jones was far and away best on ground IMO. Gibbons was unsighted but I'd still persist. Cunners looks the goods but he still goes missing for extended periods.
Personally I think the backline looked good which is no great surprise with Amos taking the job again. Dow worked hard but he needs to start winning uncontested footy as well. I really like Setterfield. Usually clean and makes good decisions. SPS was good again. It's our older guard that have to step up. Garlett is too loose and it was no surprise to see him switched up forward. Welters has his mojo back.

Fasolo for Polson and that's the only change for Round 1 IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:58 pm 
Bob Chitty

It would have been daylight robbery if we'd won that. Never in front and behind from the first score to the 27 minute mark of the last - mind you we could have snatched it with a bit better accuracy.

What a surprise to be running on at the end of a game rather than being run over as usual - and with fewer rotations!

Fun watching at a country ground and the locals did a great job I thought.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:13 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

ianh wrote:
Never in front and behind from the first score to the 27 minute mark of the last

Incorrect

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:45 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

We were in front for a fair chunk of the second quarter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:46 pm 
Harry Vallence

When I told myself before the game, I’d be happy with a 4 to 6 goal loss, I thought I was being realistic. So to go down by less than a goal, to an arch enemy, should just about put a feather in our cap.
At stages we closed them down, but for my liking there were too many loose Collingwood men running off half back, through the centre and into their forward line. When we started winning the ball through the centre, we looked the goods, but one thing we have to get right before Richmond in round one, is manning up across the back line and into the centre, to stop the opposition’s free running football.
I thought at quarter time the scoreboard flattered us, Collingwood could have easily been four goals up. At this early stage in the game Collingwood’s inaccurate kicking for goal kept us in the game. Just as our set shots in the last quarter cost us victory. So where else do we need to improve?
We seem to have three major tall options in the forward line – Charlie Curnow, McGovern and McKay. With a couple of strong marks and a crumbing goal, I thought McKay did the best of these three. Charlie and McGovern came into the match in the last quarter, yet they both had something in common – kicking inaccurately for goal from a set shot.
A common theme from our match against Essendon* was how we brought the ball into the forward line. Our forwards need to meet the ball as it is brought through the midfield. With the new 6/6/6 set ups I don’t mind a long ball into attack for a fifty-fifty contest, but we should also look for the loose man on a lead up, either a short or tall option.
Something that has been drummed into our back men, Jones, Weitering, Simpson, Newman and Garlett – is assess the options available before releasing the ball – this has to be our golden rule for the backline in 2019. Jones and Garlett especially look better disposing of the ball in this way and avoiding the clangers which they can be guilty of. Steady at the back and building momentum through the midfield. If we work on this plan from the back, we can then build work moving the ball more fluently when we are in possession in our midfield.
So to our midfield. Walsh still stands out even when he doesn’t have a high possession count. A Sam Walsh poor game is a good game for the average midfielder. Wil Setterfield looks a natural footballer, his over the shoulder goal in the last quarter showed a young player who is willing to back himself in. Similarly Petrevski-Seton, Fisher and Cunningham look like they will be able to stand up more this season. And Cripps is very dangerous when he goes forward, it’s hard for a small defender to man up on his 6 foot 3 frame.
Where we will get shot down this year, is if we can’t match the run of the opposition through the midfield, so it’s steady from the back, where we can start our offensive play and also learn to run on the outside of the contest. We have the calibre of player to try this, but realistically we are still a young midfield, I’d be looking for the likes of Murphy, Thomas, Simpson and Cripps to show our youngsters how to run the ball. With this attitude we can install some flair into our side and make sure we don’t get cut in the midfield and out of defence. Walsh and Setterfield both have this in their style of play.
Bring on 2019, we are as ready as you could expect, apart from injury and game time into Kreuzer and Stocker. Eight wins with no blow out score losses is a realistic goal. Go out and get ‘em Carlton!

Blue is the colour, Blue is our colourful conversation, football is the game, talking carlton is our aim, we're all together, we're all together, winning is our aim, arguing is a pain, let's debate for gain. .. .!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:05 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

79Vintage wrote:
When I told myself before the game, I’d be happy with a 4 to 6 goal loss, I thought I was being realistic. So to go down by less than a goal, to an arch enemy, should just about put a feather in our cap.
At stages we closed them down, but for my liking there were too many loose Collingwood men running off half back, through the centre and into their forward line. When we started winning the ball through the centre, we looked the goods, but one thing we have to get right before Richmond in round one, is manning up across the back line and into the centre, to stop the opposition’s free running football.
I thought at quarter time the scoreboard flattered us, Collingwood could have easily been four goals up. At this early stage in the game Collingwood’s inaccurate kicking for goal kept us in the game. Just as our set shots in the last quarter cost us victory. So where else do we need to improve?
We seem to have three major tall options in the forward line – Charlie Curnow, McGovern and McKay. With a couple of strong marks and a crumbing goal, I thought McKay did the best of these three. Charlie and McGovern came into the match in the last quarter, yet they both had something in common – kicking inaccurately for goal from a set shot.
A common theme from our match against Essendon** was how we brought the ball into the forward line. Our forwards need to meet the ball as it is brought through the midfield. With the new 6/6/6 set ups I don’t mind a long ball into attack for a fifty-fifty contest, but we should also look for the loose man on a lead up, either a short or tall option.
Something that has been drummed into our back men, Jones, Weitering, Simpson, Newman and Garlett – is assess the options available before releasing the ball – this has to be our golden rule for the backline in 2019. Jones and Garlett especially look better disposing of the ball in this way and avoiding the clangers which they can be guilty of. Steady at the back and building momentum through the midfield. If we work on this plan from the back, we can then build work moving the ball more fluently when we are in possession in our midfield.
So to our midfield. Walsh still stands out even when he doesn’t have a high possession count. A Sam Walsh poor game is a good game for the average midfielder. Wil Setterfield looks a natural footballer, his over the shoulder goal in the last quarter showed a young player who is willing to back himself in. Similarly Petrevski-Seton, Fisher and Cunningham look like they will be able to stand up more this season. And Cripps is very dangerous when he goes forward, it’s hard for a small defender to man up on his 6 foot 3 frame.
Where we will get shot down this year, is if we can’t match the run of the opposition through the midfield, so it’s steady from the back, where we can start our offensive play and also learn to run on the outside of the contest. We have the calibre of player to try this, but realistically we are still a young midfield, I’d be looking for the likes of Murphy, Thomas, Simpson and Cripps to show our youngsters how to run the ball. With this attitude we can install some flair into our side and make sure we don’t get cut in the midfield and out of defence. Walsh and Setterfield both have this in their style of play.
Bring on 2019, we are as ready as you could expect, apart from injury and game time into Kreuzer and Stocker. Eight wins with no blow out score losses is a realistic goal. Go out and get ‘em Carlton!

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:41 pm 
Craig Bradley

Pros:
Fought the game out. Actually thought we were the better team after quarter time.
Ball movement was pretty good, especially out of defence.
Cripps, Simmo, Harry and Cuningham.
Another good game from SPS and Weitering. Really like the intensity Weiter's is now playing with.
Jones, Newman, Phillips, Setterfield and Walsh were good.
McGovern's last quarter.
Like how we get something out of everyone these days. Couple of nice things even from Polson.

Cons:

Got beaten on the spread. I suspect we'll continue to see this a fair bit.
Seemed to keep getting outmarked when the ball went forward for the first 3 quarters. Not sure if this was terrible kicking. Or illegal defensive tactics. But it shouldn't be happening when we're playing 3 tall forwards.
Charlie's kicking was poor.
Opposition got the better of the umpiring.
Paul Roos' commentary. Sounded like he had money on the Pies.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:16 am 
Garry Crane

Not sure if its been mentioned elsewhere but what was the value of suiting up Stocker and Kerr for the experience, only to get involved in of a pre-game warm up?

What's the experiential learning in keeping the two on the bench (and limiting rotations) when they could have been given an opportunity to run out on the ground even just to stretch the legs in the dying minutes of the game?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:15 pm 
Horrie Clover

Charlie needs a run up on the wing or on the ball when its not going his way. And if we keep bombing it forward hes going to have more tough days.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:42 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Monday wrote:
Not sure if its been mentioned elsewhere but what was the value of suiting up Stocker and Kerr for the experience, only to get involved in of a pre-game warm up?

What's the experiential learning in keeping the two on the bench (and limiting rotations) when they could have been given an opportunity to run out on the ground even just to stretch the legs in the dying minutes of the game?
I was wondering the same... Was going to ask on here if they played and I missed it? (didn't see the whole game).

BTW, I thought one of the features was relatively clean ball handling... pickup and grabbing the loose ball... Another was seeing players blocking... An improvement on previous years

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:37 pm 
Bruce Comben

Blue Monday wrote:

Maybe Bolts wanted match minutes and rotation in all the standard number of players. Stocker and Kerr were there just as back up in case somebody couldn't run out the game due to injury. No point putting excess load on the players if the bench drops to two or three fit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:54 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

john.flynn wrote:
Blue Monday wrote:

Maybe Bolts wanted match minutes and rotation in all the standard number of players. Stocker and Kerr were there just as back up in case somebody couldn't run out the game due to injury. No point putting excess load on the players if the bench drops to two or three fit.

That's probably it as far as the team is concerned but as for Stocker and Kerr, one is a midfielder who's only glaring weakness is poor endurance and one a developing tall who's being trialled in a new position apparently. Surely a full game in the VFL would've been more beneficial for both of them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:35 pm 
Geoff Southby

Makes them hungry.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9