Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161 ... 172  Next
 Post subject: Re: Our best 22?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:21 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

verbs wrote:
Replacement not an improvement.

Could be

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:23 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

bondiblue wrote:
verbs wrote:

Could be

Not any more

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:29 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

verbs wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
verbs wrote:

Could be

Not any more

Yep.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:21 pm 
Ken Hunter

Newman Jones Plowman

Simmo Weitering Marchbank

Dow Cripps Sam PS

E. Curnow C. Curnow Walsh

McGovern McKay Gibbons

Kruise
Kennedy
Fisher

Thomas Murph. Setterfield O’Brien

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:17 am 
Stephen Kernahan

dannyboy wrote:
Newman Jones Plowman

Simmo Weitering Marchbank

Dow Cripps Sam PS

E. Curnow C. Curnow Walsh

McGovern McKay Gibbons

Kruise
Kennedy
Fisher

Thomas Murph. Setterfield O’Brien

Interesting you put Gibbons in.
Neither Setterfield nor Stocker ready?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:35 am 
Ken Hunter

Setterfield is in (interchange)

I think Gibbons is chasing that pocket spot - not sure that position would suit Stocker.
Plus balance. Need some older bodies.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:16 am 
Stephen Kernahan

dannyboy wrote:

I think Gibbons is chasing that pocket spot - not sure that position would suit Stocker.

Yeah. I missed that.
I think Jack will struggle to find a spot, even though Bondi thinks he is travelling OK for this time of year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:44 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

Yeah. I missed that.
I think Jack will struggle to find a spot, even though Bondi thinks he is travelling OK for this time of year.

IMO FWIW Jack has been doing more than OK.
Jack's been dominating in match sim, and in the 400m races around the ground.

He's stronger, and like Cripps encourages being tackled, takes it, frees his arms and dishes out.
That's an inside mid if Ive ever seen one.
Then he's been running extremely well and usually in the top 6 in any of the group races.
He has huge footy IQ, and neat skills by hand and foot.
What's not to like?

I have a feeling he has put his best foot forward this preseason and hard to miss, and therefore hard to leave out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:38 pm 
John Nicholls

Decided to jot down what our team looks like in a few years, without veterans who won't be around much longer (Murphy, Simpson, Kreuzer, Thomas, E Curnow, Casboult...). Here's where we're at:

Tall Forwards: C Curnow, H McKay, McGovern
Small/Medium forwards: Pickett, Garlett
Midfielders: Cripps, Dow, Walsh, Fisher, Setterfield, SPS, Kennedy, O'Brien (TdK ruck)
Small/Medium defenders: Docherty, Newman
Tall Defenders: Weitering, Jones, Marchbank, Plowman

A few omissions there either because I don't know whether they are any good, whether they fit into the side, or in one case if they are healthy: JSOS, BSOS, Stocker, Williamson... the two new rookie signings...

Assuming our midfield comes on (might be among the best in the comp)... and our talls stay fit... our weakness appears to be those mid-sized players that run the ball out of D50 or lock it into F50. Where do we get them from?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:47 pm 
Ken Hunter

I almost have Jack in and I'd like Macreadie to really push for a spot - could they cover your needs robertb?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:04 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

robertbb wrote:
Decided to jot down what our team looks like in a few years, without veterans who won't be around much longer (Murphy, Simpson, Kreuzer, Thomas, E Curnow, Casboult...). Here's where we're at:

Tall Forwards: C Curnow, H McKay, McGovern
Small/Medium forwards: Pickett, Garlett
Midfielders: Cripps, Dow, Walsh, Fisher, Setterfield, SPS, Kennedy, O'Brien (TdK ruck)
Small/Medium defenders: Docherty, Newman
Tall Defenders: Weitering, Jones, Marchbank, Plowman

A few omissions there either because I don't know whether they are any good, whether they fit into the side, or in one case if they are healthy: JSOS, BSOS, Stocker, Williamson... the two new rookie signings...

Assuming our midfield comes on (might be among the best in the comp)... and our talls stay fit... our weakness appears to be those mid-sized players that run the ball out of D50 or lock it into F50. Where do we get them from?

Damn good foundations

No doubt the oldies will be gone post 2020: Simmo, Thomas, Casboult, Murphy, Curnow, Kreuzer, Lobbe, Jones and probably Fasolo and Philips too. All of them will be 30 by 2021 and fasolo will be 29yo. Simmo, Thomas and Casboult probably finish end of this year. That's 10 players I can see being off the list by 2021. Newman in 2021 will be 28yo and may be on the verge of ending his career too.

I expect us to take on our minimum 3 changes a year to our list, including Trades, so the above mentioned will be replaced by 10 good players over the next 3 years, the only other players I see to be in a precarious position after their current contracts are Polson, Lang and Cuningham, but they can all turn things around and I believe Cunners will probably turn the corner this year.

Why not Jack? You've always got good reasoning, but based on the above Jack and Ben will be part of the squad including the minimum 9 to 12 new recruits over the next 3 years.

I honestly believe Jack is ahead of Kennedy from what I've seen, and Kennedy looked much better this preseason than last season...and despite perhaps a difference in roles due to their size Jack looks more AFL ready than Garlett, and Garlett has had a good preseason too. Jack will be 24yo in 2021

I expect Jack to stay on the list for a while yet, based on his talent, preseason and age and given there's 10-13 others I expect to be off the list before his name.

I'm not looking at Rookies of which Gibbons and Cottrell may make it. Not confident LeBois and Owies will.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:06 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I also wonder why not Stocker too robertbb?

Stocker is only 19yo this year and he looked hot in some match simulations too: inside Out hybrid mid.
SOS has put money, or at least his nec on the line for him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:19 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

At this stage of the preseason with my best 22 players like Docherty, Williamson and Pickett out, here's my best 22, and probably my best 22 for round 1:

B: Simpson Jones Marchbank
HB: Plowman Weitering Newman

C: OBrien Murphy Walsh
R: Kreuzer Cripps Curnow

HF: Dow Curnow SPS
F: McGovern McKay Fisher

IC: Kennedy Silvagni Setterfield Gibbons

Fasolo may be fit enough to displace Gibbons from the get go.

EMERG: Philips Garlett Cunngham Thomas and Gibbons if Fasolo takes his spot as a goal kicking Forward.

Thomas' experience and good preseason may see him ahead of Setterfield, but in the long run Thomas' days are numbered in his last season of AFL....IMO

I expect Stocker to play a few games of AFL in 2019.

Plenty of strong bodies on bench to rotate as inside mids and release Cripps and Curnow forward.
Murphy to rotate forward with Fisher and SPS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:55 pm 
Robert Walls

I know we've been saying this more and more the last few pre-seasons, but in putting together a 22 you really have to leave out some decent players and encouraging youngsters.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:45 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

dannyboy wrote:
I almost have Jack in and I'd like Macreadie to really push for a spot - could they cover your needs robertb?

Macreadie didn't seem to have put on any muscle when I saw him in December, and all he's been doing is running laps like Marchbank. But, we know Marchbank is getting miles into his egs and getting fit post surgery, with Macreadie all we know is he was amazing in the JLT in 2017 and that alone warranted a spot in our starting 18 at the beginning of the season then he got injured. He was also out injured for most of 2018.

We know he's got height, courage, and has pace. A specimen we shouldn't discard.

I was hoping he'd be the replacement for jones, or at least join the other mobile talls we have Weiters Plow and marchy in the backline. All tall, and mobile.

Fingers crossed he come good this year. he's worth persevering with...imo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:56 pm 
Harry Vallence

bluechampion wrote:
I know we've been saying this more and more the last few pre-seasons, but in putting together a 22 you really have to leave out some decent players and encouraging youngsters.

this is what has me excited for the year! Not who we play, but who we HAVE to leave out

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:55 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:
dannyboy wrote:

Yeah. I missed that.

IMO FWIW Jack has been doing more than OK.
Jack's been dominating in match sim, and in the 400m races around the ground.

He's stronger, and like Cripps encourages being tackled, takes it, frees his arms and dishes out.
That's an inside mid if Ive ever seen one.
Then he's been running extremely well and usually in the top 6 in any of the group races.
He has huge footy IQ, and neat skills by hand and foot.
What's not to like?

I have a feeling he has put his best foot forward this preseason and hard to miss, and therefore hard to leave out.

I hope you're right. I can only go on last year's form, which was OK last year but they have brought in players who are going to challenge him for the spots he mostly played.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:24 am 
John Nicholls

To answer the question RE: Jack - I'm just not sure where he fits in.

What are his standout abilities?

He has a high footy IQ, and I'm told he's built his tank (he had to!) but:

- He's not quick or agile as a ball mover
- He's undersized and lacks separation/leap as a key forward
- Hard to tell from pics, but even if he's put on size he's undersized as an inside mid.. and frankly, we have better options in that position

RE: Macreadie, agree he showed signs but he's been out a while.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:58 am 
Rod McGregor

Round 1 assuming Marchbank, williamson are not fit and we know that Doc and Pickett are out:

Thomas Jones Plowman

Simpson Weitering Newman

Murphy Kennedy Fisher

E Curnow C Curnow SPS

McGovern Mckay Fasolo

Kreuzer Walsh
Cripps Setterfield
Dow Cunningham
Gibbons

Thats five new players from last year. Question do they go with a proper second ruck or just rely on McKay?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:48 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2019- ... orward-mix

Teague: New faces in forward mix
Cristian Filippo, Carlton Media
Feb 20, 2019 1:32PM

THERE will be a number of new faces rotating through Carlton’s forward line in 2019, according to assistant coach David Teague.

To go with the acquisitions who arrived at the Club in the off-season, some Blues have been challenged over the summer to embrace a new role and add more strings to their bow.

Included in that group are the likes of David Cuningham and Ed Curnow, who Teague said have taken to their new surroundings with aplomb.

“We’ve got quite a good midfield group and we’re probably looking for some small forwards at the moment,” Teague said.

“Ed [Curnow], Cameron Polson, David Cuningham as well as guys like Paddy Dow, Sam Petrevski-Seton and Zac Fisher have all been rotating through.

“They’ve got to play a position other than just the midfield. We’ve spent a bit more time than last year — when the midfielders went forward, we probably didn’t give them enough time in learning the craft of playing as a forward.

“Over pre-season, we’ve made sure they’ve learned what’s required of them and the role they’re playing.”

There’s quite a different feel about the forward mix at Ikon Park this summer, with the likes of Mitch McGovern and Alex Fasolo joining the exciting duo of Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay.

Teague said the work being done to make sure everyone complements one another has made for a promising summer.

“We’ve been looking to work together… That’s what I’ve been really impressed by,” he said.

“Adding Mitch as another tall — we’ve got some talls down there. They need to work together instead of jumping and competing against each other: on the flip side, we want pressure when the ball hits the ground.

“We want to maintain that ball in our front half and keep it there. Cameron Polson and David Cuningham are guys that have been really good in that area.”

A lot of commentary surrounding Carlton’s forward line heading into 2019 has been about the combination of Curnow, McGovern and McKay.

Having worked with Carlton’s new recruit in Adelaide two years ago, Teague said he has liked what he’s seen from McGovern and his new teammates over the last few months.

“It’s been really exciting — they work together, they learn off each other, they challenge each other and they’ve got really good relationships,” he said.

“Hopefully that continues to grow and gets stronger. Now it’s about getting games into each other against opposition, playing together and getting that continuity which will allow them to grow most.”

That first chance against opposition comes tomorrow afternoon, when Carlton hosts Hawthorn in a practice match at Ikon Park from 4pm.

Teague said the Blues would be looking to build on the habits they’ve grown and shown throughout pre-season.

“We’re viewing tomorrow as more training. We want to get better, we want to win and we want to compete,” he said.

“When we train, we train to compete hard and that’s what we want to see tomorrow.

“We want to continue growing the areas we’ve been working on — the ability to connect inside 50 and mark the ball or to lock the ball down in our front half."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3423 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160, 161 ... 172  Next