Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:00 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: 2019 Leadership Group
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:22 pm 
Rod Ashman

Doc and Cripps have been confirmed captains for a while and earlier this week it was announced that Ed, Simmo and Murph would join them in the leadership group. No great surprises there, although the demotion of Plowman was interesting to me.

What also interested me was that one of the club released videos showed Doc discussing that 11 players received at least 12 votes to be in the leadership group. Clearly we know 5 of them, but who do you think the other 6 could be?

I’ll take a stab at it; Plowman, Thomas, Lobbe, Kreuzer, Jones, Marchbank.

C Curnow maybe the most likely of those outside this group.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:10 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Pickett?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:17 am 
Ken Hands

Kreuzer, Dow, Weiters, Bugg, Thomas, Lobbe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:18 am 
Craig Bradley

Interesting that Walsh is living with Cripps at the moment. Yet another sign of Cripps' leadership? Fisher has been living with him as well, and showed huge improvement this year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:42 pm 
Rod Ashman

Bump.
2020 leadership group announced. I think most saw Weitering being part of it. It feels like he’s just put together his best season in the AFL I hope the leadership position doesn’t burden him. I’m worried it’s maybe a year early, but clearly his peers don’t think so.
I have the same fear with Walsh. Will he benefit from the position of authority, or is it too soon?
Jones is a great story and is at a point in his career where this should sit comfortably. Is he going to cement his spot in our 22 throughout the year though? It’s not too crazy to think Casboult could push back when Curnow returns. Will Cas and Jones be battling for 1 position?

What are everyone’s thoughts on the new leadership group?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:00 pm 
Bruce Doull

Walsh is an outlier among his peers. He will ace it. I'm not exactly going out on a limb to suggest he will captain the club one day.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:36 am 
Stephen Kernahan

camelboy wrote:
Walsh is an outlier among his peers. He will ace it. I'm not exactly going out on a limb to suggest he will captain the club one day.

Cripps is only a boy.
Walshy will have a long wait unless Cripps opts for free agency.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:35 am 
Rod Ashman

Blue Sombrero wrote:
camelboy wrote:

Cripps is only a boy.

I initially thought the same, but maybe it’s not Cripps he’ll replace. It might be Doc. No reason we couldn’t continue with co-captains.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:32 am 
Bruce Doull

Blue Sombrero wrote:
camelboy wrote:

Cripps is only a boy.

This is true, but Walsh will be still playing when he's 40, so he's got plenty of time left. :razz:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:34 pm 
Geoff Southby

cecil89 wrote:
Bump.
2020 leadership group announced. I think most saw Weitering being part of it. It feels like he’s just put together his best season in the AFL I hope the leadership position doesn’t burden him. I’m worried it’s maybe a year early, but clearly his peers don’t think so.
I have the same fear with Walsh. Will he benefit from the position of authority, or is it too soon?
Jones is a great story and is at a point in his career where this should sit comfortably. Is he going to cement his spot in our 22 throughout the year though? It’s not too crazy to think Casboult could push back when Curnow returns. Will Cas and Jones be battling for 1 position?

What are everyone’s thoughts on the new leadership group?

Without being inside the club, it’s hard to know. I was half expecting Betts to be in there, but I suppose he & Simmo can be leaders without actually being in the leadership group. And it’s interesting that Jones & Weitering have been added ahead of Plowman.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:14 pm 
Rod Ashman

Plow is an interesting one. In the leadership group in 2018 and played just ok. Not in the leadership group in 2019 and had a very strong year.
Do you reward that and put him back in, or do you acknowledge that maybe he plays better without the added responsibility and leave him out again?

Maybe that’s not a factor at all though. Maybe some other leaders have just developed their leadership beyond his over the past 2 years? It’s a good sign that it seems like capable players can’t force their way into the leadership group yet.