Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:44 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:50 am 
Craig Bradley

Yes as I posted before facilitated every trade or player movement for everyone else as part of Clarke deal the coke sniffer gets back on GWS list also allowed Lyons to be effectively traded outside trade period BUT denied us a priority pick
DISGRACE

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:06 pm 
Robert Walls

frank dardew wrote:
Yes as I posted before facilitated every trade or player movement for everyone else as part of Clarke deal the coke sniffer gets back on GWS list also allowed Lyons to be effectively traded outside trade period BUT denied us a priority pick
DISGRACE

It is a disgrace. Cats should be angry, Krueger was free and they paid for him.

Our assistance was special the same way that Luke Darcy’s commentary is.

All but guaranteed to have PP’s return next year as well.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:45 am 
Robert Walls

Small/half forwards, what do we have?

Polson
Lang
Cuningham
Lebois
Pickett
Garlett

Not a strong list of candidates at this stage. One or two of those would have to improve markedly next year to provide what we need and makes the better sides hard to play against. Constant forward pressure.

We had the lowest inside 50 average this year, so probably not a lot to work with for these players compared to other teams but the ball did always seem to leave our 50 pretty quickly without much pressure on the opposition defenders.

Will be interesting to see if we can pluck any quality mid/small forward types with our late/rookie picks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:46 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Lang is a mid. Cunners is a winger/outside mid. Garlett could play anywhere from HB to forward pocket. Lebois is a curly one. Probably yes, a small forward. Picket a high HF/small forward.
Of those, Le Bois has the lowest skillset IMO. Personally, I think Garlett has the most upside if he can get his head on straight. he is fast, a good user and likes to fly. He is a candidate in waiting for MOTY.
Pickett also has the raw speed but is reports he came back with excessive skin folds for the second year in a row are correct, I doubt he wants it enough.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:39 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Lang is a mid. Cunners is a winger/outside mid. Garlett could play anywhere from HB to forward pocket. Lebois is a curly one. Probably yes, a small forward. Picket a high HF/small forward.
Of those, Le Bois has the lowest skillset IMO. Personally, I think Garlett has the most upside if he can get his head on straight. he is fast, a good user and likes to fly. He is a candidate in waiting for MOTY.
Pickett also has the raw speed but is reports he came back with excessive skin folds for the second year in a row are correct, I doubt he wants it enough.

Great discussion piece.
Small forwards

I agree with your assessment on each player, but you didn't suggest what forward skills they can bring to the team to keep a balanced outlook.
Are you pigeon holeing them a bit? Maybe you are but vaguely.

Lang is a good mark, neat HF has pace. Cats goalkicker.
Cunners can break a line with strength and speed and make space to have a shot.
LeBois has skills in spades: that was the attraction. Trained well yesterday. Good kick.
Pickett creates space with speed to steady for a shot. Kicks goals when he plays.

You can make an argument for all of them as small forwards.
Same with the midfielders. Plenty can players forward: Murphy, Dow, SPS Fisher
Fisher and Murphy are op class forwards if we let them play longer.
IMO 2 part time mid/small forwards = 1 small forward

I think our problem in 2018, hopefully due to injury, was having the fewest inside 50 entries in the league.

There were games we got slaughtered despite having most forward 50 entries in a couple of games. Why?
We were unstructured. How could ther be a forward structure when most forwards are up field defending.
That left opposition to double team a our key forwards, with a 6 v 4 defence.
Hard to structure outnumbered 4 v 6. Unless we move the ball quickly from the midfield. Come on outside runners Walsh, Dow,

Next year we have 3 mobile marking players in the forwardline: McKay, Curnow & McGovern.
Gotta win the midfield battle (without Shiel).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:22 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Sombrero wrote:

Great discussion piece.
Small forwards

I agree with your assessment on each player, but you didn't suggest what forward skills they can bring to the team to keep a balanced outlook.
Are you pigeon holeing them a bit? Maybe you are but vaguely.

Lang is a good mark, neat HF has pace. Cats goalkicker.
Cunners can break a line with strength and speed and make space to have a shot.
LeBois has skills in spades: that was the attraction. Trained well yesterday. Good kick.
Pickett creates space with speed to steady for a shot. Kicks goals when he plays.

You can make an argument for all of them as small forwards.
Same with the midfielders. Plenty can players forward: Murphy, Dow, SPS Fisher
Fisher and Murphy are op class forwards if we let them play longer.
IMO 2 part time mid/small forwards = 1 small forward

I think our problem in 2018, hopefully due to injury, was having the fewest inside 50 entries in the league.

There were games we got slaughtered despite having most forward 50 entries in a couple of games. Why?
We were unstructured. How could ther be a forward structure when most forwards are up field defending.
That left opposition to double team a our key forwards, with a 6 v 4 defence.
Hard to structure outnumbered 4 v 6. Unless we move the ball quickly from the midfield. Come on outside runners Walsh, Dow,

Next year we have 3 mobile marking players in the forwardline: McKay, Curnow & McGovern.
Gotta win the midfield battle (without Shiel).

Pumping the footy to the top of the goalsquare 90% of the time is a recipe for disaster.
A lot of our F50 entries were pposition teams switching and then running the ball down the middle or the fat side from half back.

If we can get a better structure for F50 entries, maybe from just outside the 50 to a lead up forward things will go a lot better.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:58 pm 
Robert Walls

So 4 picks taken at the ND draft.

Walsh, Stoker, BSOS, O'Dwyer.
is that it now?

Is the senior list now finalised? Just some rookie spots?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:08 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

thegezman wrote:

is that it now?

I think so. 40 on the senior list done. With Lebois and Owies a rookie and category B rookie, that leave three more rookie spots to fill.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:09 pm 
Robert Walls

I like that we draft true position players early. Gone are the days of endlessly trying to make flankers into KPPs or mids.

Leave the flankers like Williamson, Macreadie, Schumacher and now Finbar for late picks.

Menzel, Bootsma, Temay etc. even Lucas. Jesus.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:26 pm 
Ken Hunter

verbs wrote:
thegezman wrote:

is that it now?

I think so. 40 on the senior list done. With Lebois and Owies a rookie and category B rookie, that leave three more rookie spots to fill.

SOS was on radio not long ago and said we will use two picks in the rookie draft and leave one spot for next year's mid-season rookie draft.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:45 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36424

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108