Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241 ... 350  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:41 pm 
Harry Vallence

Donstuie wrote:
Bolton got a pass from me this year because of our horrendous injury run and player management. But with Russell on board now, and I assume a team around him, I (hopefully) can't see this being an excuse next year.

For me I'd judge Bolton less on the 1-9 itself, but more on what happens in the 9.

- Will they be "Honourable losses"?
- Will our gameplan improve? Will it be free-flowing and exciting or will it still be stilted?
- Will we actually crack 100 points in a game?
- Will our players actually learn how to hit a target or kick a goal from 30 out in front?
- Will we continue to have 30-45 minute naps in games where we cough up 7-10 uninterrupted goals?
- Will the Morans continue?
- Will we see maximum effort and players sticking up for teammates when opposition gets into them or whacks them?
- Will our young players (particular those taken higher) improve or stagnate?
If the above criteria slips onto the negative side, Bolton is in deep poop.

This I think will be the deciding factor on how bolts gets judged.

FWIW I think it was hard to judge whether the Kids improved this year because all of them apart from Charlie was injured or returning from injury.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:00 pm 
Ken Hunter

Sydney Blue wrote:
Rexy wrote:
yeah agree with stuie - it depends how and why those 9 losses occur

Buckley and Hardwick have definitely argued the case for patience

If he is 1-9 next year he doesn't deserve the job
There is a difference between Buckley and Hardwick and that was 3 years in they didn't have the backing of the supporters and the club that Bolton has
Bolton has been backed to the hilt and apart from the odd Carlton supporter such as myself he has had full support
The supporters were demanding success and Pies and Tiges so the pressure came on pretty quickly - Bolton entering his 4th has had one of the longest honeymoon periods of a coach ever considering the results

And?

A garden to nurture and protect

#DopeThenStash

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:31 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Expecting a 'spike'

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:49 pm 
Bruce Doull

Excuses won't be hard to find.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:51 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

london blue wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Rexy wrote:

There is a difference between Buckley and Hardwick and that was 3 years in they didn't have the backing of the supporters and the club that Bolton has
Bolton has been backed to the hilt and apart from the odd Carlton supporter such as myself he has had full support
The supporters were demanding success and Pies and Tiges so the pressure came on pretty quickly - Bolton entering his 4th has had one of the longest honeymoon periods of a coach ever considering the results

So what is so wrong about having the backing of supporters and the club....of course other than the odd supporter and yourself?

Good one LB.

Its hard for supporters to accept the pitfall of a complete rebuild, let alone injuries.

I expect a better win loss record, but setting expectations after 9 rounds when the fixture hasn't been released is a bit rich?

I feel a renaissance coming on...its Navy Blue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:22 am 
Ken Hunter

verbs wrote:
From listening to that podcast I get the feeling it will take Russell up to a year to make a significant impact. It really sounds like he likes to know the players inside out, which takes time.

Take note BB....here is your next excuse....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:25 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

verbs wrote:
From listening to that podcast I get the feeling it will take Russell up to a year to make a significant impact. It really sounds like he likes to know the players inside out, which takes time.

BS He's either got magic powers or he hasn't

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:29 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
verbs wrote:

I don't understand the constant attack and belittling of our coach?

I bet he doesn't use that as an excuse, and its just an excuse for you to hae a dig at him.

Have some faith surrey.

This club and its supporters have been to hell and back.
Surely you can see positive changes on every level of the footy club over the last 3 years.
Give BB a chance to coach a team capable of delivering. There 23 kids under 23 on our list...that's not an excuse, its reality.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:34 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

plus loads of injuries to an already vulnerable team...
tend to agree BB.
a little time and patience.
things are slowly falling into place.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:33 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

SurreyBlue wrote:
verbs wrote:

What's yours?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:03 pm 
Ken Hunter

bluechucky wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Rexy wrote:

And?

Not sure what the point is here

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:08 am 
Stephen Kernahan

jezzarules wrote:
verbs wrote:

BS He's either got magic powers or he hasn't

Sorry to disappoint. I am but a mortal man.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:54 am 
Harry Vallence

I know that we would all love a big increase in wins next year, however with the list profile we have where we have 11 players over 24 years of age and 4 of them are rucks where only 1 should be playing it effectively means that on my count only 4-5 will be over 25 playing each week.

Historically a team with that age profile will be smashed most weeks, even with the uber talent GWS had, only won 9 games in its first 3 years.

Personally I think that a pass mark would be 6 games with some honourable losses, whilst I will still expect a couple beltings when thing go wrong.

The real measure in Bolts coaching will be around individual player development, how many improve on this year.

If SPS, Weitering, JSOS, Polson and Macreadie don't have any injuries I expect them to take a decent step forward.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:36 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Steve_C7 wrote:
I know that we would all love a big increase in wins next year, however with the list profile we have where we have 11 players over 24 years of age and 4 of them are rucks where only 1 should be playing it effectively means that on my count only 4-5 will be over 25 playing each week.

Historically a team with that age profile will be smashed most weeks, even with the uber talent GWS had, only won 9 games in its first 3 years.

Personally I think that a pass mark would be 6 games with some honourable losses, whilst I will still expect a couple beltings when thing go wrong.

The real measure in Bolts coaching will be around individual player development, how many improve on this year.

If SPS, Weitering, JSOS, Polson and Macreadie don't have any injuries I expect them to take a decent step forward.

Wouldn't it be nice to see Macreadie take the next step.
His JLT form in 2017 was incredible for 19yo, hence his selection for round 1.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:09 pm 
Craig Bradley

Steve_C7 wrote:

I'd want better than 6 wins. Put a side together and it doesn't look bad. We're at the stage of knocking on the door of being a decent side with the list we have now, not a finals side as we are young, but a decent side. We won 6 games in 2017 (7 the year before that) and that underplayed our performance given how many times we led in the last qtr and lost. Time to progress. 4 years in, it's time. Young and alot of list changes or not 4 years into a rebuild you need to make some strides up the ladder. So of those draftees in SOS's are are into their 4 year now, other's 3.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:10 pm 
Harry Vallence

jim wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:

I'd want better than 6 wins. Put a side together and it doesn't look bad. We're at the stage of knocking on the door of being a decent side with the list we have now, not a finals side as we are young, but a decent side. We won 6 games in 2017 (7 the year before that) and that underplayed our performance given how many times we led in the last qtr and lost. Time to progress. 4 years in, it's time. Young and alot of list changes or not 4 years into a rebuild you need to make some strides up the ladder. So of those draftees in SOS's are are into their 4 year now, other's 3.

I understand your point, however the list age, size and experience has gone down every year since we started the rebuild.

Hard to improve the win/loss column when you are going younger and less experienced even though more talented

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:13 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Steve_C7 wrote:
jim wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:

I understand your point, however the list age, size and experience has gone down every year since we started the rebuild.

Hard to improve the win/loss column when you are going younger and less experienced even though more talented

Yeah nah, replacing some of the senior deflators could actually invigorate this young talented list.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:06 pm 
Ken Hunter

Hamish McIntosh joins as a part time ruck coach.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:07 pm 
Ken Hunter

bondiblue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
verbs wrote:

I bet he doesn't use that as an excuse, and its just an excuse for you to hae a dig at him.

Have some faith surrey.

Surely you can see positive changes on every level of the footy club over the last 3 years.
Give BB a chance to coach a team capable of delivering. There 23 kids under 23 on our list...that's not an excuse, its reality.

Bondi, wrong or not, Bolton has used the excuse of youth and injuries plenty of times during the year.
Please review his after match conferences, if you need too.

My issue is not either of injuries or youth but the players looked like headless chooks in 2018 and they had no idea what the game plan was or what was required. After 3 years in charge of the group alarm bells are ringing. I’ve lost faith - you bet, but I’m not alone!

The fact the review confirmed the game plan was too complicated confirms what I was watching unfold.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:09 am 
Harry Vallence

SurreyBlue wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
verbs wrote:

Have some faith surrey.

Bondi, wrong or not, Bolton has used the excuse of youth and injuries plenty of times during the year.
Please review his after match conferences, if you need too.

My issue is not either of injuries or youth but the players looked like headless chooks in 2018 and they had no idea what the game plan was or what was required. After 3 years in charge of the group alarm bells are ringing. I’ve lost faith - you bet, but I’m not alone!

The fact the review confirmed the game plan was too complicated confirms what I was watching unfold.

Which group has been there for 3 years?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6991 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241 ... 350  Next