Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:28 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: stronger midfield?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:41 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Stefchook wrote:
I suspect he's not the most talented player in the draft pool, but I'm become increasingly convinced that we'll be taking Sam Walsh with our first pick in this year's draft. I think his all-round package of elite character, leadership, athleticism and output will won the day.

Pretty exciting to think of a core future midfield built around the elite talent and character of Cripps, Dow and Walsh. And if we can add another 2 through draft/trade into our midfield mix (Shiel? O'Halloran?), I think we're finally on our way. Not that we'll be ready to match it with the hardened, mature midfields. But at least we'll well and truly have the necessary building blocks for 2020-2021.

3 core midfielders
Cripps
Dow
Walsh

secondary midfielders
Shiel?
SPS
Fisher
Kennedy

others in the mix/rotation
O'Brien
Docherty?
Lang
Ed
Murphy
our 2nd pick
Cuningham

Looks good Stef. He would be a classy choice. If we can somehow get Rankine as well and some mature mids then whooh!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:30 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bluegirl72 wrote:
Stefchook wrote:
I suspect he's not the most talented player in the draft pool, but I'm become increasingly convinced that we'll be taking Sam Walsh with our first pick in this year's draft. I think his all-round package of elite character, leadership, athleticism and output will won the day.

Pretty exciting to think of a core future midfield built around the elite talent and character of Cripps, Dow and Walsh. And if we can add another 2 through draft/trade into our midfield mix (Shiel? O'Halloran?), I think we're finally on our way. Not that we'll be ready to match it with the hardened, mature midfields. But at least we'll well and truly have the necessary building blocks for 2020-2021.

3 core midfielders
Cripps
Dow
Walsh

secondary midfielders
Shiel?
SPS
Fisher
Kennedy

O'Brien
Docherty?
Lang
Ed
Murphy
our 2nd pick
Cuningham

Looks good Stef. He would be a classy choice. If we can somehow get Rankine as well and some mature mids then whooh!!

Yer dreamin'

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:48 am 
Geoff Southby

Stefchook wrote:

3 core midfielders
Cripps
Dow
Walsh

secondary midfielders
Shiel?
SPS
Fisher
Kennedy

O'Brien
Docherty?
Lang
Ed
Murphy
our 2nd pick
Cuningham

I personally think the midfield will be:

3 core midfielders
Cripps
Shiel?
Kennedy (tagging role)

secondary midfielders
Walsh?
Setterfield
Dow
SPS
Fisher

O'Brien
Lang
Ed (tagging role)
Cunningham
Pickett
Polson
Garlett

Murphy needs to be on the wing or half forward for the easy possessions but accurate kick to advantage/goal.
Doc needs to be the general off half back to create our attack out of defence.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 12:39 pm 
Rod Ashman

Sidefx wrote:
Stefchook wrote:

3 core midfielders
Cripps
Dow
Walsh

secondary midfielders
Shiel?
SPS
Fisher
Kennedy

O'Brien
Docherty?
Lang
Ed
Murphy
our 2nd pick
Cuningham

I personally think the midfield will be:

3 core midfielders
Cripps
Shiel?
Kennedy (tagging role)

secondary midfielders
Walsh?
Setterfield
Dow
SPS
Fisher

O'Brien
Lang
Ed (tagging role)
Cunningham
Pickett
Polson
Garlett

Murphy needs to be on the wing or half forward for the easy possessions but accurate kick to advantage/goal.
Doc needs to be the general off half back to create our attack out of defence.

I think the core midfielders will be Cripps, Shiel and Dow.
You then have Kennedy, Fisher and Setterfield as the second group.
This gives us one midfield bull mixed with explosive midfielders; I like it.

Walsh, Murph, O'Brien, Cunningham, Ed can all move through the wings

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:42 pm 
Bruce Comben

A question for you people out there!!
With the delisting of Kerridge and Graham does it leave our very young midfield to exposed? Considering they were call on for 10 games each this year?
I completely get they are not our future!
Leaving only Cripps and Ed Curnow as mature midfielders??

Post subject: stronger midfield?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:08 pm 
Wayne Johnston

17premierships wrote:
With the delisting of Kerridge and Graham does it leave our very young midfield to exposed? Considering they were call on for 10 games each this year?

Hopefully Kennedy and Setterfield can help cover that area.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:58 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

sinbagger wrote:
17premierships wrote:

Hopefully Kennedy and Setterfield can help cover that area.

A fit Kennedy will help big time.

I think Walsh as a first year player will have a Campreale type first year, without the flag, such is his quality.

Big bodied mids oka mature mids is what we are after.

Cripps, Ed, Kennedy, Murphy and probably Silvagni will help out in that space.

Inside outside players like Dow, Fisher, Setterfield, SPS will continue to improve...well that's what Im hoping.

I dont think Kerridge or Graham were everr selected when we had a full bill of health.

The injury list in 2018 was out of the box, and doubt will be repeated with Andrew Russell on board preparing the players over the next 6 months for 2019 and beyond

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:21 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

We will need Kennedy and Setterfield to play lots of minutes in lots of games, which they should be able to do.

but too many of our kids just didn't get enough of it last year.

Couple really do need to pull the finger out possession wise.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:38 pm 
Bruce Comben

We are going to need several players to have break out seasons!!
Lots of quality still very young....(Age) at the start of the 2019 season

Dow (19) 20 games
Obrein (19) 18 games
SPS (21) 42 games
Kennedy (21) 31 games
Fisher (20) 34 games
Cuningham (22) 16 games

Settlefield (21) 2 games

Walsh (18) 0 games

Murphy (31) 249 games
Ed Curnow (29) 143 games
Cripps (24) 81 games

Docherty (25) 92 games Could play midfield depending on strength of half back line

Did not include Polson, Lang or Silvangi as they are played predominately in other positions

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:06 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

cimm1979 wrote:
We will need Kennedy and Setterfield to play lots of minutes in lots of games, which they should be able to do.

That would be because they are young, undeveloped and lacked support from senior personnel around them.
Maybe you/we are expecting too much from the young, who should be playing in the reserves if not ready for senior footy.

Having said that, I am expecting a lot more from ALL of the 3rd and 4th year players in 2019:

3rd year: Fisher, Macreadie, Williamson, SPS, Polson, Kerr, DeBois, Setterfield
4th year: Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Marchbank, Cuningham, Silvagni, Kennedy, Pickett, Garlett, Lang

If 70% step up by 10%, we have a team who can win plenty of games.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:42 am 
formerly Army the Wonderkid

bondiblue wrote:
cimm1979 wrote:

That would be because they are young, undeveloped and lacked support from senior personnel around them.
Maybe you/we are expecting too much from the young, who should be playing in the reserves if not ready for senior footy.

Having said that, I am expecting a lot more from ALL of the 3rd and 4th year players in 2019:

3rd year: Fisher, Macreadie, Williamson, SPS, Polson, Kerr, DeBois, Setterfield
4th year: Weitering, McKay, Curnow, Marchbank, Cuningham, Silvagni, Kennedy, Pickett, Garlett, Lang

If 70% step up by 10%, we have a team who can win plenty of games.

And our outside ball winners / ability was starved given our run ou of defence was compromised due to injury. We even had to try Murphy back in defence to get it out of the 50!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:05 am 
Ken Hunter

I don’t understand and cannot comprehend why people keep leaving Murphy out of our midfield.
A fit and firing Murph will be huge again in there in 2019.
I see Murphy, Cripps & Kennedy as the keys. Ed will play the shutdown role and then it will be the kids....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:29 am 
Geoff Southby

Personally, I’d like to see Murph on the wing opposite of Simmo or even as a half forward. He’s had a few injuries now and they need to put some protective measures in place to keep him playing on for a few more years. Plus his ability to hit targets in the forward line is the best in the team. So why would we risk him in the middle anymore when there are other players that can play the midfield role?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:46 am 
Bruce Doull

IMO Murph should spend more time now up forward than in the guts, but he should stay in the rotation.

I can't see his body holding up to regular midfield minutes, and the baton needs to be handed.

#GUILTY

Post subject: stronger midfield?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:15 pm 
Wayne Johnston

17premierships wrote:

Dow (19) 20 games
Obrein (19) 18 games
SPS (21) 42 games
Kennedy (21) 31 games
Fisher (20) 34 games
Cuningham (22) 16 games

Settlefield (21) 2 games

Walsh (18) 0 games

Murphy (31) 249 games
Ed Curnow (29) 143 games
Cripps (24) 81 games

Docherty (25) 92 games Could play midfield depending on strength of half back line

Did not include Polson, Lang or Silvangi as they are played predominately in other positions

It’s interesting to see that Kennedy has played less games than either Fisher or SPS, it always seemed to me that he was more experienced the way he was spoken about.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:39 pm 
Harry Vallence

17premierships wrote:

At the freo Carlton game in Perth both graham and kerridge missed so many targets, it killed us. Without any malice, I am happy to see them gone. We only won 2 games this season, with a percentage in the 60s, so we can't really get worse. Time to play the kids and just get games into them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:29 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

So much untapped potential on our list. Need some miles in legs of our kids and we will be the super team of the 2020s

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:57 pm 
John Nicholls

sinbagger wrote:

It’s interesting to see that Kennedy has played less games than either Fisher or SPS, it always seemed to me that he was more experienced the way he was spoken about.

Yes. Still very young... people seem to forget we have him (and could be excused given he was out pretty much all year). Will be awesome to watch him grow alongside Setterfield!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:59 pm 
Robert Walls

17premierships wrote:

Dow (19) 20 games
Obrein (19) 18 games
SPS (21) 42 games
Kennedy (21) 31 games
Fisher (20) 34 games
Cuningham (22) 16 games

Settlefield (21) 2 games

Walsh (18) 0 games

Murphy (31) 249 games
Ed Curnow (29) 143 games
Cripps (24) 81 games

Despite what others say, Newman will play some midfield as well

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:23 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sidefx wrote:
Personally, I’d like to see Murph on the wing opposite of Simmo or even as a half forward. He’s had a few injuries now and they need to put some protective measures in place to keep him playing on for a few more years. Plus his ability to hit targets in the forward line is the best in the team. So why would we risk him in the middle anymore when there are other players that can play the midfield role?

I agree, am sure he will be part of the midfield rotations, but playing what he was designed to do, on the outside creating space and goals.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next