Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:21 pm 
Bruce Doull

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Rexy wrote:
The Duke wrote:
Massive Qs on Weitering and SPS. They just don't seem to get Bolts' awesome gameplan

SPS quiet today but had a good month. No Qs on him.

I have one.
He NEVER takes the long option. Even his shot at goal ended up in no score because he didn't want to have a shot from 40 out and passed it to a turnover instead.
He rarely takes the obvious option. Tries the flashy stuff too much.
He has the skills but he often makes the players up field work too hard.

Why?

Another disappointing game where they managed to stay in touch for three quarters but still managed a bare handful of goals for the game, despite having Harry and Charllie up front. They murdered us on centre clearances and F50 entries. The score flattered us. The defence held up ok. Weitering gets done for HTB a lot. If he had someone to give it off to occasionally it would happen less.
One only has to look at the willingness of the team in about 14th spot to run and carry, make space in the corridor and handball forward of the ball to see just how far behind the times we are. It was a bloody stupid week to drop Pickett when BB finally decided to try and run the footy a bit more. He and Garlett may have defensive issues and I am sure that's why they are in the twos but until we inject pace and run into this team we will go nowhere.

Marchbank played well for us despite those who claim he dropped two sitters. East to say from behind a keyboard. he intercepted a lot and used his run quite well.
Byrne has one week to go without getting injured and played well.
Simmo will be sorely missed.
The kids did OK. TDK had an inauspicious debut but didn't disgrace himself either.
Jack needs a role and he needs to develop a body to play it or it's adios for him.
Harry is awesome except his kicking for goal is average.
Daisy will get a one year contract.

On the cons side, I am constantly bewildered how a man can stand by himself inside the opposition forward line for fifteen seconds with nobody doing anything and then get an uncontested mark. It is almost as bad as having two of the opposition alone inside the centre square waiting for the kick to open up the play. We obviously aren't aware of the corridor or we would occasionally pick up someone who was hanging around in it or even try and use it as an avenue to goal.

One week to go. At least my Mexican soccer team is wining after being on the bottom for the last fifteen years. Maybe it's an omen.
The NFL is also fast approaching.

I hope you're not a Browns supporter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:24 pm 
Laurie Kerr

The effort was there in a reasonably even contest. We defended reasonably well, but by the same token we were dominated in the midfield and might have gone down by another 10+ goals if the dogs didn't butcher it so often.

Pros:
- the spine is looking pretty good for 2019. Weiters' made mistakes but they are bound to happen with the supply the dogs were getting. Don't let the mistakes overshadow the good things he does, the kid is class and will be fine.
- pretty much all the kids. TDK looked like he belonged to me.
- special mention to Byrne who looks like he could settle into a serious career.
- lamb might find a spot in the back pocket

Cons: midfield/half forward again. Murphy, polson, SPS, SOS, wright and Lang were really disappointing. SPS and Lang I can see turning it around in the offseason. The others I worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:29 pm 
Bob Chitty

I thought the good stuff that Marchbank did outweighed a few mistakes. Had a good day overall which was encouraging.

Really enjoyed Byrne's chase down tackles. He anticipates well and takes decisive action. An encouraging performance generally from Casey.

As much as individual players we recruit in the off season will help, our biggest improvement will come from the improvement of our existing players. So many of our team are too weak, too small and not fit enough or composed enough. All of which can and will be better next year given some decent management/coaching.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:36 pm 
Rod Ashman

BlueLife wrote:
Not sure how Marchbank can be in the pros column. Fumbled a couple of sitters but worse than that just makes too many poor decisions. I want him to be good, but needs to work on his decision making.

Simmo still in our best couple of players. He is a freak.

21 disposals at 71% 11 marks, 3 contested and 8 intercept possessions. Only 2 turnovers...
Spent most of the game on Gowers who had 9 disposals and kicked one goal
You focus on the couple of fumbles though

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:37 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Marcus Floponbelly

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:52 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

jim wrote:
That was a game that showed how bad our coaching is. After 3 years our system of moving the ball going forward is the worst I've seen anywhere. Our players have ability for sure but are being let down by that. Other sides go forward with a structure that can often open other sides up, we have no idea. That cost a quite a decent win. Instead another loss to an ordinary side. One of the most frustrating defeats I've come across. Loved the competitiveness but we want more than that after 3 years. Enough is enough!

Bet a decent coach could sort alot of that in a preseason. They love the ability at their disposal.

Do you ever get sick of spewing out the same negative crap every week? If enough is enough, go away and save yourself the agony. I'm sure I could do without the constant whingeing.

The kids continue to give us hope. I don't necessarily agree about Hunter beating O'Brien. Unfortunately O'Brien was continually pressing up onto the midfielders exiting the centre bounces and the handballs or kicks were going over to Hunter. When they were one on one, O'Brien mostly held his own and I thought his disposals were more damaging than Hunters. Get a pre-season into him and he'll be a very good player.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:57 pm 
Garry Crane

I was at the game. We butchered the ball occasionally but there were some bright lights. How the Bullies won the premiership two years ago is beyond me, their game is so tentative.

Anyway, the thing that really disappointed me was our clearances from the centre. I cannot recall one clean or even contested possession from the bounce for a kick forward, not one. Makes it hard when we're immediately into defence all the time.

Murphy was very disappointing tbh, didn't do much then butchered the delivery too often

Jack just looked as if he was jogging around most of the time. His mark/goal was ok, but its not enough.

How much would we give for a few Simmos?

Even Daisy was good today

Like TDK and the moniker. There's something there.

Cripps got lots of possessions as usual but is it just me but do others see that he doesn't do enough damage with his possessions, often puts a team mate under pressure and doesn't push the ball forward enough. He has carried us this year though.

Harry and Charlie were good, but they need support at ground level. Harry chased well I thought.

Dow, Byrne were good

One more game, thank god

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:09 pm 
John Nicholls

The game highlighted the lack of depth. Harry and Charlie are great talents but nothing around them up forward.. Still plenty of holes to fill. Re SOJ, does not have weapons to hurt the opposition. Way too slow and not strong enough. A pre-season of pain awaits if he is to take the next step.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:12 pm 
Harry Vallence

Lang's a definite need for improvement.

He gets one more year and a preseason to show why he should stay. Otherwise could not care less.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:16 pm 
Harry Vallence

Pros:
Our defence held up relatively well
I thought Thomas, Rowe, Lamb, Marchbank, Byrne and Weitering did well
Overall team effort was quite good
Harry especially early gave us a good target
Nice to see TDK get a game and his first goal (hopefully of many)
Ed back to a bit of form
And our spiritual leader Simmo keeps on keeping on

Cons:
Murph has been a disappointment for a while now. His cheap bruise free football is at polar opposites to what this once excellent footballer is currently exhibiting
Despite his late fine mark and goal SOS has a long long way to go. Needs more muscle and endurance to start with
Felt Lobbe could have had more impact than he did
Umpires were inconsistent and Doggies staging read Bont & McLean was annoying
Fifth spoon in 17 years ie one every 3.4 years on average....shocking:(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:44 pm 
Ken Hunter

Went to the game expecting a belting.
There were some very good signs and silly skill errors were very costly.
The umpiring was woeful, especially umpire number 13.
Simmo was great and O'Brien played his best game.
No injuries that I saw, was a bit worried late when Cripps went down.
So happy for De Koning to kick his first goal.
We have to stop looking for Charlie so often, he is not always the best option.
They can hold their heads up, it is almost over.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:57 pm 
Rod McGregor

Hard to win when you get beaten by 16 out of the centre and the other side had double the clearances
Our backline held up well, but we clearly need more midfielders or the kids to come on quickly
That said there were multiple times today where we moved the ball like a proper football side
Encouraging signs, but a long way to go....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:11 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

GreatEx wrote:
Quote:
The NFL is also fast approaching

There's nothing fast about the NFL.

And now a word from our sponsors...

How many NFL games have you watched?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:41 pm 
Geoff Southby

The team will look very different to today’s come Round 1, 2019.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:19 pm 
Ken Hunter

Dominator_7 wrote:
The team will look very different to today’s come Round 1, 2019.

Will Weitering and SPS be in it?

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:28 pm 
Bob Chitty

rhys87 wrote:
Blue4ever wrote:
Luckily for us our Captain was so inspirational, if not the margin would have been so much higher.

Looks so much worse at the game, definitely takes short steps when it matters.

Worst part was his terrible lolly-pop dink that opened Cripps up to get smashed. Rushed to get his kick off before the contact came.

He also did a couple of good things but we all know he was capable of so much more in his prime when he accepted contact.

Overall very happy with the effort from the boys. Never happy with a loss but I enjoyed a few great moments today.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:44 pm 
Robert Walls

MIL wrote:
Rexy wrote:
The Duke wrote:
Massive Qs on Weitering and SPS. They just don't seem to get Bolts' awesome gameplan

SPS quiet today but had a good month. No Qs on him.

Still doesn't do enough for his talent. But another preseason should help.

SPS runs around like a headless chook most of the time.
Save for a few good games over the last two years and a few cameos, has been disappointing, given that he's avoided injury and avoided NB time (which is half the problem)

Next year needs to be the year where he is consistently in our best 10
I've been more excited by LOB's last month. He gets involved and is starting to believe he belongs
SPS thinks that belonging is an entitlement

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:19 pm 
Craig Bradley

Pros
Obrien H Dow Charlie
Best game OBrien has played

TDK is promising

Must have been at the wrong game yes Marchbank missed 2 sitters but what about the other intercept marks he took finally looking fit generating run from backline

Byrne I agree is starting to look good a bit of continuity and no injuries does that for you

Simpson was superb
Daisy was also good

SPS and Weitering both still very young didn't have their best games but we must be recruiting superstars in the off season for both not to be playing round one next year
Cons

Got smashed by McCrae Hunter Wallis Bont etc - that is in the end what beat us and a few stupid mistakes in the last quarter
Bont took a dive in the last quarter after initially hitting Lamb in the face Christian should report him for staging -bloody umpire got sucked in

Kicking into forward line still needs work still very haphazard and no discernible leading patterns by forward

No blocking for each other
Thought Wright and Mullett were pretty ordinary today

Wasn't Murphy best game either

Cripps was well held for the most part

A lot of green shoots today and a lot to look forward to if we are patient

Still a hell of a lot of our better players not playing today

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:45 pm 
Ken Hunter

Bluesman44 wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
Quote:
The NFL is also fast approaching

There's nothing fast about the NFL.

And now a word from our sponsors...

How many NFL games have you watched?

Plenty. I worked in the States during the entire 2000-01 season and have been in the country during the football months on three other occasions. I loved going out and watching games in bars, especially Monday Night Football. I still remember the epic Jets-Dolphins game where Vinny Testaverde threw four TDs in the 4th quarter in an amazing comeback win. But subsequent attempts to watch the game minus mates / beer bored the shit out of me. Too many commercials, too many players coming and going, too much waiting around while fast food workers throw flags about and have chit-chats. The game is good to watch in snippets, or while drunk with the guys, especially Americans who can make sense of it all, but it is sloooooooow.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:49 pm 
Ken Hunter

99prelim wrote:
SPS thinks that belonging is an entitlement

Where do you get that from? Hasn't been dropped, therefore must have a sense of entitlement? Seems a stretch.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next