Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:36 am 
Rod Ashman

Humpers wrote:
gerry atric wrote:
We are only five quality mids away from being average.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Docherty and Fisher will be two welcome additions to the midfield next year.
The likes of Dow and O'Brien should improve substantially after their first full pre-season. SPS will improve a lot as well.
Hopefully our pick #1 (Walsh?) makes an immediate impact and Cunningham can stay injury free and learn how to find the footy. Williamson will be a welcome addition to the side as well.
Maybe I'm a little too glass half full however it is worth noting that a couple of years ago Richmond and Melbourne were both beaten by over 100 points in the final round of the season.

I always prefer the glass half full approach.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:43 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Did Bolts really just imply that the reason he didn't change up the game plan was because he wanted our kids to learn from seeing a top class midfield?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:46 am 
John Nicholls

It was not mentioned directly but a key element in the learning process is to observe exemplars.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:54 am 
Harry Vallence

Stone Free wrote:
Did Bolts really just imply that the reason he didn't change up the game plan was because he wanted our kids to learn from seeing a top class midfield?

Yes and in the context of what real gut hard running is all about.

I see a bit of a swipe at our fitness coaches and a pointed message to our players of that our pre season training is going to be a grueling one.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:02 am 
Harry Vallence

Braithy wrote:
The Normal One wrote:
I’m interested in views about the last quarter fade out. In my opinion we are nowhere near AFL fitness, so against even 16 GWS players, we literally had 12 who could compete in that last quarter, maybe less.

i think it's between the ears ... we have plenty of fitness to run out games. last week, Richmond, pies, Essendon**, port & swans this year we ran until the final whistle.

Yes and No

There was the element that our players gave their best for 3 quarters and just were running on the spot in the last and gave up the chase.

On the other hand, our players have played more gametime than anyone else this year because of the lack of rotations due to the injuries early in games this year and we are seeing the cumulative effect of that now.

Unfortunately there are no easy answers or single reason for our performances.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:19 am 
Bruce Doull

Steve_C7 wrote:

Wait, what happened to "Coaching"?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:44 am 
Harry Vallence

Wojee wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:

Well as Bolton said in the pressor, the gap between the 21 and 28th player on our list is HUGE.

Coaches can only extract the best out of each players potential, if the said player has no tools, then no coaching will ever make them AFL standard players.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:13 pm 
Geoff Southby

Steve_C7 wrote:
Wojee wrote:
Steve_C7 wrote:

Well as Bolton said in the pressor, the gap between the 21 and 28th player on our list is HUGE.

Coaches can only extract the best out of each players potential, if the said player has no tools, then no coaching will ever make them AFL standard players.

:clap: :clap:

It doesn't get any clearer than that.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:35 pm 
Harry Vallence

If we manage to get through this low point I hope every player who played on Sunday remembers GWS for playing with less numbers. That is future ammunition I would never want to give to an opposition.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:03 pm 
Bert Deacon

our game plan is so old and predictable ,that any side that can run and spread we have no hope.this has been happening for years .

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:09 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I’m wondering what sort of Jam did everyone spread on their toast this morning?

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

jamespul65 wrote:
our game plan is so old and predictable ,that any side that can run and spread we have no hope.this has been happening for years .

Before that we have to win the nut and retain it, and when we've got it o not give it away with poor disposal.

eg Polson's 5 metre handball not making the distance. There were plenty of others...were there nor Mr OShea? Thomas? Byrne? Simpson? Wright? Lang? Marchbank? Simpson? Rowe? OBrien? Murphy? Curnow? Curnow? Graham? Kennedy?....sh*t that's almost everyone.

Houston we have a skills problem.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:56 pm 
Geoff Southby

AGRO wrote:

It's seeming like shit! :grin:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:06 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
jamespul65 wrote:

Before that we have to win the nut and retain it, and when we've got it o not give it away with poor disposal.

eg Polson's 5 metre handball not making the distance. There were plenty of others...were there nor Mr OShea? Thomas? Byrne? Simpson? Wright? Lang? Marchbank? Simpson? Rowe? OBrien? Murphy? Curnow? Curnow? Graham? Kennedy?....sh*t that's almost everyone.

Houston we have a skills problem.

I just re-watched the last quarter and to answer a few of the question everyone seems to be asking about how we had 7 goals kicked on us v 17 players:

We didn't:
- Hit our targets
- Make our tackles
- Run like we were trying to make the top 4

They did:
- Hit there targets with precision
- Made their tackles
- Ran like they wanted to keep good form going into finals

Therefore, if we did our did not's and still only kicked one goal, I would start to wonder about our coaching, fitness department etc.

What all of the chicken littles and apocalypticist's need to remember, is none of the above is a coaching issue and is a talent, age and "it's just been a bloody long season for everyone, including the players" issue.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:13 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

jamespul65 wrote:

Many posters were calling for us to play one on one footy recently because our game style isn't working with the personnel available.
Bolton gets them to play one on one and now it's old and predictable. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:38 pm 
Ken Hands

Thank god there is no relegation in AFL , because we would be in the relegation zone of div 2 at the moment let alone premier league , our lack of skill is something Bolts must work on over the preseason , forget about the game plan , until we fix the skill level a game plan is useless. Some of the basic skill errors are deplorable , don't worry about going to the top of a mountain for group hugs or to sing kumbiya , get out on the track and practice skills all summer long . And a bit of time in the boxing ring wouldn't go astray either , put a bit f@@&$,g pig in them

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:47 pm 
John Nicholls

Waterman wrote:
Thank god there is no relegation in AFL , because we would be in the relegation zone of div 2 at the moment let alone premier league , our lack of skill is something Bolts must work on over the preseason , forget about the game plan , until we fix the skill level a game plan is useless. Some of the basic skill errors are deplorable , don't worry about going to the top of a mountain for group hugs or to sing kumbiya , get out on the track and practice skills all summer long . And a bit of time in the boxing ring wouldn't go astray either , put a bit f@@&$,g pig in them

Absolutely. Professional players should have no excuses. If the skills don't improve (see Nick Graham) de-list.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:59 pm 
Garry Crane

Steve_C7 wrote:
Stone Free wrote:
I see a bit of a swipe at our fitness coaches and a pointed message to our players of that our pre season training is going to be a grueling one.

Our fitness have been awful for years and years and years and years and years and years.

Our health and injury management has been god awful. I hate this year primarily due to this.

It is killing us.

Cain Liddle needs to review the fitness & health department. It is killing our club. We won't have a club in a couple years if this continues.

If I was king I would sack everyone in the fitness and health, I have had enough of it. I hope Bolton is seething about this and makes it known that he can't coach a team if half the team is injured and the other half is unfit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:16 pm 
Geoff Southby

Let's hope the million dollar injection rectifies the injury management issues and improves player fitness and size.

Oh wait, maybe they should just get Dank, it'll be cheaper.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:00 pm 
formerly King Kenny

AGRO wrote:

The Buckley variety ;-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next