Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:44 pm 
Geoff Southby

Its that time of year when all the backroom meetings start taking place.Scouring the list,who we gonna keep,who we gonna bump.And of course the maybe's.Managers circling,intrigue,cloak and dagger stuff..........................but of course it aint just the players under the microscope.Its staff,and in particular,Assistant Coaches.Inevitably there is a shakeout and you overturn two or three.Who will get the chop i wouldn't have a clue as i do not know the pro's and con's of these guys.............................................................BUT................i do know who i would be chasing.For a start,i do not want run of the mill anybody types,i want blokes in that have charisma and presence...................Luke Hodge.The bloke immediately commands attention.Presence by the truckload.Sam Mitchell..........ditto Hodge and has had a huge impact at the Weagles.Born teacher.And both from the highly successful Hawthorn factory..........Thats enough Hawks.The other two powerhouse of the last fifteen years are the Swans and Cats...........From the Swans i would grab Jarrod McVeigh.Also a born teacher and a quiet but inspirational leader............from the Cats i would grab the silent assassin Matty Scarlett.A cold and clinical ruthless operator if there was ever one.And from what i hear he is a brilliant teacher and communicator.On top of that i believe he has incurable eye for young talent.Just knows who can cut it and who can't...........anyhow thats my thoughts.All suggestions welcome coz as sure as night follows day there will be at least a couple of gigs up for grabs.

Post subject: Re: Assistant coaches
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:55 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

No arguments here.
I want Jimmy Bartel too. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:29 pm 
Geoff Southby

Like free agents why would the best coaches want to come to us.

The challenge. There's that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:33 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Can we please just get rid of Andy freaking McKay!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:27 pm 
Geoff Southby

Mickstar wrote:
Its that time of year when all the backroom meetings start taking place.Scouring the list,who we gonna keep,who we gonna bump.And of course the maybe's.Managers circling,intrigue,cloak and dagger stuff..........................but of course it aint just the players under the microscope.Its staff,and in particular,Assistant Coaches.Inevitably there is a shakeout and you overturn two or three.Who will get the chop i wouldn't have a clue as i do not know the pro's and con's of these guys.............................................................BUT................i do know who i would be chasing.For a start,i do not want run of the mill anybody types,i want blokes in that have charisma and presence...................Luke Hodge.The bloke immediately commands attention.Presence by the truckload.Sam Mitchell..........ditto Hodge and has had a huge impact at the Weagles.Born teacher.And both from the highly successful Hawthorn factory..........Thats enough Hawks.The other two powerhouse of the last fifteen years are the Swans and Cats...........From the Swans i would grab Jarrod McVeigh.Also a born teacher and a quiet but inspirational leader............from the Cats i would grab the silent assassin Matty Scarlett.A cold and clinical ruthless operator if there was ever one.And from what i hear he is a brilliant teacher and communicator.On top of that i believe he has incurable eye for young talent.Just knows who can cut it and who can't...........anyhow thats my thoughts.All suggestions welcome coz as sure as night follows day there will be at least a couple of gigs up for grabs.

Im hearing that Sam Mitchell has been sounded out and is more than interested.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:30 pm 
Ken Hunter

I think anyone that has been an assistant pre-BB needs to go.
Happy with all your suggestions Mick. Nice list.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:34 pm 
Geoff Southby

Stone Free wrote:

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:39 pm 
Harry Vallence

Would love to see us get Sam Mitchell, been very impressive at the Eagles apparently.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:40 pm 
Bruce Doull

Mickstar wrote:
i do know who i would be chasing.For a start,i do not want run of the mill anybody types,i want blokes in that have charisma and presence...................Luke Hodge.The bloke immediately commands attention.Presence by the truckload.Sam Mitchell..........

Quote:
At least a couple of coaches will go come season's end. Trying to get Sam Mitchell to the club as an assistant.

#bluemour

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/ ... 41/page-22

Followed shortly by

https://twitter.com/TomBrowne7/status/1 ... 1984204801

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:02 pm 
Harry Vallence

From what ive heard (unsure of source credibility) and read (same disclaimer) the drums are beating loudly that Sam Mitchell will be a new assistant coach. I hope its true!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:03 pm 
Harry Vallence

Stone Free wrote:

Check the age. Looks like you have your wish.....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:46 pm 
Geoff Southby

BluesRockMyWorld wrote:
From what ive heard (unsure of source credibility) and read (same disclaimer) the drums are beating loudly that Sam Mitchell will be a new assistant coach. I hope its true!

Im hearing the same loud and clear.Actually been in the wind for months...........................so much for the bullshit we aint a destination club.Will soon be a mad stampede to get into the joint.Dont worry folks,our club is still high prestige regardless what the doubting Tom's say.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:54 am 
Bruce Doull

If you’re an emerging assistant/coach, with genuine ambition, would you actually want to go to a top club, that’s ready made for success? Wouldn’t it be better for your career development and general satisfaction to be involved in creating success at a struggling club?

I realise I probably wouldn’t be saying this is Carlton was currently a regular finals contender, but I still think the theory is sound, assuming the individual’s ambition is strong enough.

Love the thoughts from Mickstar as well, especially what you’d said about Scarlett. From an on-field perspective Sam Mitchell is a no brainer, as long as he can actually transfer his playing knowledge on in a coaching role. However, it does strike me as a little odd that he moved to WA with the promise of a coaching gig and is ready to come back already.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bluegirl72 wrote:
No arguments here.
I want Jimmy Bartel too. :thumbsup:

That's nice BG72, and I like his girlfriend, but what about him as an Assistant Coach?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Snort.
You cheeky bugger.
Heard Daisy Pierce(Pearce??) On radio today saying she had Blues 33 on back of her footy jumper before switching to no.6. I can relate to that. :grin:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:04 pm 
Rod Ashman

Worth remembering though that great players do not necessarily make great coaches.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:19 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bluegirl72 wrote:
Snort.
You cheeky bugger.
Heard Daisy Pierce(Pearce??) On radio today saying she had Blues 33 on back of her footy jumper before switching to no.6. I can relate to that. :grin:

Daisy's stepfather's stepfather was Blues player Maurie Sankey.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:55 pm 
Geoff Southby

GWS wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:
Snort.
You cheeky bugger.

Holy shit ! my very first game i attended was Blues V Gorillas at Brunswick St in the fifties.Behind the goals at the woodyard end.My first memories was of a tall lanky player in long sleeves.Yep,lanky Sankey.A fella by the name of Owen Abrahams had a blinder last quarter and we lost.As a matter of fact the Blues weren't much of a side when i was a kid but i stuck.The sight of Maurie Sankey running around like a gazelle captivated me and i was hooked for life.Thanks Maurie,you were the player that got me.Been a fantastic ride ever since.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:28 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Mickstar wrote:
GWS wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:
Snort.
You cheeky bugger.

Holy shit ! my very first game i attended was Blues V Gorillas at Brunswick St in the fifties.Behind the goals at the woodyard end.My first memories was of a tall lanky player in long sleeves.Yep,lanky Sankey.A fella by the name of Owen Abrahams had a blinder last quarter and we lost.As a matter of fact the Blues weren't much of a side when i was a kid but i stuck.The sight of Maurie Sankey running around like a gazelle captivated me and i was hooked for life.Thanks Maurie,you were the player that got me.Been a fantastic ride ever since.

Talk about snort.
This one frpm Mickstar is a rip snorter

Micks post should be saved for TC posterity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:11 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Mickstar wrote:
GWS wrote:
bluegirl72 wrote:
Snort.
You cheeky bugger.

That’s priceless Mick.

Daisy’s stepfather’s an old mate of mine but she has a different surname. Her mum and my mate live on the south coast of NSW now and I hadn’t seen him for a while but he dropped in about 18 months ago. I asked him why he was in town and he said he was doing a small job for the MFC. I asked how that came around and he said it was connected to his stepdaughter Daisy.

The last time I saw Daisy she was about 8 years old.

I had no idea that that Daisy was Daisy Pearce.

Mort Sahl

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 483 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 25  Next