Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:26 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 816 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 41  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:37 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Wojee wrote:
List of clubs who have won a premiership after receiving a priority pick:

Collingwood
Hawthorn
West Coast
Western Bulldogs
Richmond

List of clubs who appeared in a Grand Final after receiving a priority pick:

Melbourne
St Kilda
Fremantle

List of clubs who have not appeared in a Grand Final after receiving a priority pick:

Carlton
Brisbane

I'm not arguing that priority picks lead to success, but it is clear that receiving a priority pick isn't the death-knell that some seem to believe.

It's more the irrelevance it is to our current situation.

WB and Richmond gaining priority picks in 2004 and 2007 had no bearing on them winning flags in 2016 and 2017.

What also makes it less relevant is that any pick we would gain would more than likely be at the end of the 1st round.

Its not going to end the club, or save the club so either way, hence the amount of air time the discussion has received is overblown.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:39 pm 
Harry Vallence

https://www.3aw.com.au/tim-lane-calls-o ... -his-face/

I'm not normally a fan of Tim Lane but I think he makes a reasonable point here. We're at one of our lowest ebbs and LoGiudice is nowhere to be seen or heard.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:22 pm 
Bruce Doull

Blueboy74 wrote:
Wojee wrote:

Collingwood
Hawthorn
West Coast
Western Bulldogs
Richmond

Melbourne
St Kilda
Fremantle

List of clubs who have not appeared in a Grand Final after receiving a priority pick:

Carlton
Brisbane

I'm not arguing that priority picks lead to success, but it is clear that receiving a priority pick isn't the death-knell that some seem to believe.

WB and Richmond gaining priority picks in 2004 and 2007 had no bearing on them winning flags in 2016 and 2017.

What also makes it less relevant is that any pick we would gain would more than likely be at the end of the 1st round.

Its not going to end the club, or save the club so either way, hence the amount of air time the discussion has received is overblown.

As I stated, it's not about the pick delivering success, it's about the pick not meaning a club is destined to stay shit forever because it's grovelling to the AFL.

Having said that, you'll also be aware that Griffen (2004 PP) was part of the trade that got Tom Boyd to the Dogs from GWS at the end of 2014. Richmond also got a first and third round pick for Deledio (2004 PP) in the 2016 trade period.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:40 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Boys wrote:
https://www.3aw.com.au/tim-lane-calls-on-carltons-invisible-man-to-show-his-face/

I'm not normally a fan of Tim Lane but I think he makes a reasonable point here. We're at one of our lowest ebbs and LoGiudice is nowhere to be seen or heard.

it's infuriating as a fan that there's so many tumbleweeds rolling outta cfc.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:46 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Lo Guidice has already shown that he isn't a good media performer. That's not his role anyway.
If 3AW want answers, there's plenty of people who can give a clearer picture of the on field performance than the President.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:49 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Blue Boys wrote:
https://www.3aw.com.au/tim-lane-calls-on-carltons-invisible-man-to-show-his-face/

I'd rather he not talk publicly on football.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:58 pm 
Bruce Doull

Rexy wrote:
Blue Boys wrote:

Yup - it’ll only make things worse.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:19 pm 
Bruce Doull

Uhm, do these names mean anything to anyone:

Andrew Walker
Marc Murphy
Matthew Kreuzer

???

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:29 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

camelboy wrote:

Andrew Walker
Marc Murphy
Matthew Kreuzer

???

Premiership players...?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:34 pm 
Bruce Doull

High flying marks?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:41 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Wojee wrote:
Blueboy74 wrote:
Wojee wrote:

Collingwood
Hawthorn
West Coast
Western Bulldogs
Richmond

Melbourne
St Kilda
Fremantle

Carlton
Brisbane

As I stated, it's not about the pick delivering success, it's about the pick not meaning a club is destined to stay shit forever because it's grovelling to the AFL.

Having said that, you'll also be aware that Griffen (2004 PP) was part of the trade that got Tom Boyd to the Dogs from GWS at the end of 2014. Richmond also got a first and third round pick for Deledio (2004 PP) in the 2016 trade period.

I guess the slight difference was all previous PPs were handed out due to a black and white rule, which some may see different to this being a "Hey we're shit, and we have no idea on how to get out of it, so any danger we can have some charity?" priority pick.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:50 pm 
Bruce Doull

Rexy wrote:
camelboy wrote:

Andrew Walker
Marc Murphy
Matthew Kreuzer

???

Premiership players...?

Yeah, nah, all priority picks.

I think the horse has bolted on us worrying about the look of getting one.

We've had three.

Actually, four…

I forgot to include Shaun Hampson.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:37 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

camelboy wrote:
Rexy wrote:
camelboy wrote:

Andrew Walker
Marc Murphy
Matthew Kreuzer

???

Premiership players...?

Yeah, nah, all priority picks.

I think the horse has bolted on us worrying about the look of getting one.

We've had three.

Actually, four…

I forgot to include Shaun Hampson.

In football terms those priority picks are over a generation ago.

If Gold Coast get Priority picks this year considering you can count the 2010 Draft one big priority pick for Gold Coast (they had 8 picks in the first round including picks 1,2 & 3) that would be the outrage.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:40 pm 
Harry Vallence

Donstuie wrote:
Rexy wrote:
Blue Boys wrote:

He’s the president of a football club, at some point he might have to answer some football related questions. Does not being a good performer in the media excuse him of this? I agree, that day to day footballing issues McKay, Bolton or Liddle can front up to, but the fact that we haven’t heard from him when we’re clearly at a low point, just to steady the ship, comes across as a lack of leadership...which Carlton has mastered over the years.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:43 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Blueboy74 wrote:
I guess the slight difference was all previous PPs were handed out due to a black and white rule, which some may see different to this being a "Hey we're shit, and we have no idea on how to get out of it, so any danger we can have some charity?" priority pick.

There's a legitimate difference for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:00 pm 
Craig Bradley

I agree Blueboys yes you don't want the President to be talking all the time and obviously not a footy expert but to have to hide him so he doesn't speak suggests to me that he should not be president in the first place -even if he talks about sticking fat etc green shoots - sticking to the path - everyone working diligently from bootstudder to President to get us out of this mess - needs to show some leadership here when club is under siege from press supporters and wider footy community :banghead: and if he cant wont or they have to hide him in case he cant convey the message what the hell is he doing in the job :banghead:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:00 pm 
Craig Bradley

I agree Blueboys yes you don't want the President to be talking all the time and obviously not a footy expert but to have to hide him so he doesn't speak suggests to me that he should not be president in the first place -even if he talks about sticking fat etc green shoots - sticking to the path - everyone working diligently from bootstudder to President to get us out of this mess - needs to show some leadership here when club is under siege from press supporters and wider footy community :banghead: and if he cant wont or they have to hide him in case he cant convey the message what the hell is he doing in the job :banghead:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:57 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blueboy74 wrote:
Wojee wrote:

Collingwood
Hawthorn
West Coast
Western Bulldogs
Richmond

Melbourne
St Kilda
Fremantle

Carlton
Brisbane

Like to see how Richmond would have done in Season 2017 and during the Finals Series without their Priority Pick in Alex Rance.

But as you say Rance had no bearing on them winning the 2017 Grand Final.

:lol:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:23 pm 
Bruce Doull

camelboy wrote:

Andrew Walker
Marc Murphy
Matthew Kreuzer

???

Something about a hat?

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:24 pm 
Bruce Doull

Blue Boys wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
Rexy wrote:
Blue Boys wrote:

He’s the president of a football club, at some point he might have to answer some football related questions. Does not being a good performer in the media excuse him of this? I agree, that day to day footballing issues McKay, Bolton or Liddle can front up to, but the fact that we haven’t heard from him when we’re clearly at a low point, just to steady the ship, comes across as a lack of leadership...which Carlton has mastered over the years.

I don’t disagree.

But the fact is, for any good MLG might do behind closed doors, when he speaks embarrassment often follows, especially when under attack.

#GUILTY

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 816 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 41  Next