Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:08 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-07/w ... alian-team

Cripps leads or is a leader of nearly every Award thus far in 2018. A top 2 or 5 in every poll.

Yet he doesn't make the Best 22 with the AFL staff writers at the mid point of the season.

These guys destroy the hopes of young kids following Carlton, who not only has a rich history dating back to 1864 but also one of the original founders of VFA VFL and AFL. Swans supporters in Sydney make fun of Carlton supporters with the only information they can glean: Foxtel and afl's website. I have to stop my kids reading the internet and watching 360.

They disgust me, and the effect they have on my kids. One of my kids just said, that the AFL really hate Carlton if this is what they think of Cripps. This follows all the negative propaganda the Barrets, Robbos and Whateleys have written or said about Carlton this year.

Are they suppose to be promoting the AFL to greatness or ruin the hopes of a generation of footy fans. They are doing a great job of the latter. Wake up Gill, this is happening under your watch.

The Carlton bashing, anti Carlton agenda is beyond a joke now.

Someone at the club, let alone Gill Mc boss of the AFL, must stand up to this crap, because I can't on my own, and I don't want my kids going to basketball or soccer...I've stopped subscribing Herald Sun because of the unbalanced and scathing reporting and I'm turning off Foxtel as soon as my contract is up. I've had enough.

I'll look for that article the same buffoons wrote (unless someone beats me to it...please do) where the AFL staff writers had all their facts wrong about Carlton once again, was it in their Best 22 or something like that?

Last edited by bondiblue on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:21 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-07/who-makes-our-midseason-all-australian-team

Cripps leads or is a leader of nearly every Award thus far in 2018. A top 2 or 5 in every poll.

Yet he doesn't make the Best 22 with the AFL staff writers at the mid point of the season.

These guys destroy the hopes of young kids following Carlton, who not only has a rich history dating back to 1864 but also one of the original founders of VFA VFL and AFL. Swans supporters in Sydney make fun of Carlton supporters with the only information they can glean: Foxtel and afl's website. I have to stop my kids reading the internet and 360.

They disgust me, and the effect they have on my kids. One of my kids just said, that the AFL really hate Carlton if this is what they think of Cripps. This follows all the negative propaganda the Barrets, Robbos and Whateleys have written or said about Carlton this year.

Are they suppose to be promoting the AFL to greatness or ruin the hopes of a generation of footy fans. They are doing a great job of the latter. Wake up Gill, this is happening under your watch.

Someone at the club, let alone Gill Mc boss of the AFL, must stand up to this crap, because I can't on my own, and I don't want my kids going to basketball or soccer...I've stopped subscribing Herald Sun because of the unbalanced and scathing reporting and I'm turning off Foxtel as soon as my contract is up. Ive had enough.

I'll look for that article the same buffoons wrote (unless someone beats me to it...please do) where the AFL staff writers had all their facts wrong about Carlton once again.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I think Cripps was on the interchange. :mad:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:21 pm 
Bruce Doull

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:41 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bravo Bondi!!!!
I hope you copied and sent that post to AFl,360, fox footy...general managers of fox...afl, sen..etc etc....!
sing it loud brother!
:clap:
I'm gonna copy and post this to andy maher who is on air now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:43 pm 
Craig Bradley

I agree with Wojee. Reputation and perception so often play a big role. A lot of the footy media don't actually watch all that much footy (Terry Wallace and David King are 2 exceptions). They watch a bit and they listen to each other. It's like developing social policy based on twitter feeds.

The top rated onballers to this point in the year according to the coaches (who know far better than anyone else) is as follows: Fyfe, Cripps, Cotchin, Macrae, Mitchell, Sidebottom, Gaff and Martin. Which suggests that Phillips, Higgins and Oliver were lucky to make the team. And Cripps and Cotchin were unlucky. Martin almost certainly got a spot based on his reputation. And Phillips probably because some of the AFL website writers barrack for Collingwood. I'm surprised they didn't try and squeeze Merrett in again. :donk:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:36 pm 
Bruce Doull

Wojee wrote:
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-07/who-makes-our-midseason-all-australian-team

These guys destroy the hopes of young kids following Carlton, who not only has a rich history dating back to 1864 but also one of the original founders of VFA VFL and AFL. Swans supporters in Sydney make fun of Carlton supporters with the only information they can glean: Foxtel and afl's website. I have to stop my kids reading the internet and 360.

Someone at the club, let alone Gill Mc boss of the AFL, must stand up to this crap, because I can't on my own, and I don't want my kids going to basketball or soccer...I've stopped subscribing Herald Sun because of the unbalanced and scathing reporting and I'm turning off Foxtel as soon as my contract is up. Ive had enough.

I'll look for that article the same buffoons wrote (unless someone beats me to it...please do) where the AFL staff writers had all their facts wrong about Carlton once again.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I think Cripps was on the interchange. :mad:

Wasn't even considered as best 22 :screwy:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:40 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bluegirl72 wrote:
bravo Bondi!!!!
I hope you copied and sent that post to AFl,360, fox footy...general managers of fox...afl, sen..etc etc....!
sing it loud brother!
:clap:
I'm gonna copy and post this to andy maher who is on air now.

Go girl!!

Nah I haven't approached any of them.
I've done it before.
I'm hoping plenty of others do what you are doing and use the post to send a message

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:41 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

A great life lesson for any youngster to not necessarily believe everything they read.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:11 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I told you previously, most football writers and commentators have an attention span of 7 days. Team A has good young kids today, tomorrow they are a basket case after a loss.
Cripps had an average game last week, hence he is average and not worthy of All Australian selection.
Get with the program.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:14 pm 
Rod Ashman

Clearly Carlton is unpopular and does suffer much negative media bias. The problem up to now is that no one has had clue one about how to fix things.

That's about to change.

I have the answer.

Let's give Hirdy a job! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Everyone hates him, (normal people anyway), his career's over ... he has no future ... let's be his saviour! We could be known as the "forgiving club", the "Benevolent Blues". PP here we come! Despite everything the guy's probably still got heaps of football knowledge and could probably do a number of jobs, (although let's keep the f*cker away from the medical room). Let's see Robbo and Whately slag us off after that move!

You know it makes sense. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:17 pm 
Geoff Southby

BigKev. Hand in your badge & gun. You’re out of here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:59 pm 
Bruce Doull

I'm torn between whinging about bias (perceived or otherwise) and just riding the bumps just going about things trying to be unaffected by the outside crap.

As BV said, footy analysis usually works in 7 day cycles. The only real metric that counts is ladder position and given where ours has been for so long that's as much to blame as anything else for any media bias.

It's not really anyone else's fault that we've been a basket case for 20 years or so.

Fair enough, the salary cap penalties were too harsh, but at the same time we deserved to be punished. Further to that, we've had enough time to right the ship on our own. Our troubles today are mostly of our own making.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:30 pm 
Harry Vallence

bondiblue wrote:

These guys destroy the hopes of young kids following Carlton, who not only has a rich history dating back to 1864 but also one of the original founders of VFA VFL and AFL. Swans supporters in Sydney make fun of Carlton supporters with the only information they can glean: Foxtel and afl's website. I have to stop my kids reading the internet and watching 360.

Someone at the club, let alone Gill Mc boss of the AFL, must stand up to this crap, because I can't on my own, and I don't want my kids going to basketball or soccer...I've stopped subscribing Herald Sun because of the unbalanced and scathing reporting and I'm turning off Foxtel as soon as my contract is up. I've had enough.

I'll look for that article the same buffoons wrote (unless someone beats me to it...please do) where the AFL staff writers had all their facts wrong about Carlton once again, was it in their Best 22 or something like that?

Football is so much better without the Herald Sun and Foxtel. I turned off the HS and Foxtel switch a couple of years ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:58 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

camelboy wrote:
I'm torn between whinging about bias (perceived or otherwise) and just riding the bumps just going about things trying to be unaffected by the outside crap.

As BV said, footy analysis usually works in 7 day cycles. The only real metric that counts is ladder position and given where ours has been for so long that's as much to blame as anything else for any media bias.

It's not really anyone else's fault that we've been a basket case for 20 years or so.

Fair enough, the salary cap penalties were too harsh, but at the same time we deserved to be punished. Further to that, we've had enough time to right the ship on our own. Our troubles today are mostly of our own making.

Yes the penalties were too harsh and yes we were the members that took responsibility for our corrupt board and voted them out - result everyone despises us and says we got of lightly, to this very day any time talk about corrupt and cheating clubs, it’s Carlton snigger, guffaw, chortle.

Take the red and black shit stains from Melrose Drive, never taken responsibility for the drug scandal at their club, have always denied, delayed and obfuscated, members have drunk all the koolaid that’s has been dispensed. Today it’s always tippy toe around the issue from media and other clubs, we feel sorry for the players, we want a strong Essendon* for the good of the AFL.

Spare me I’m throwing up all over my keyboard.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:45 pm 
Rod Ashman

Whilst I sympathise, I feel that 'destroying the hopes of young kids' may mean kids are placing their hopes in the wrong places. I think Carlton finishing in the bottom 4 continuously has more impact but in any event I certainly wouldn't want kids to place much weight on the words of footy commentators....

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:14 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Arnhem blues wrote:
Whilst I sympathise, I feel that 'destroying the hopes of young kids' may mean kids are placing their hopes in the wrong places. I think Carlton finishing in the bottom 4 continuously has more impact but in any event I certainly wouldn't want kids to place much weight on the words of footy commentators....

This.
Kids barrack for winners.
Once upon a time before TV covered every game and families could afford to go to the footy or they huddled together around the radio with dad or mum telling us who was who and then doing the follow up in the Truth (which had a great sport section after the other stuff), Globe or the Age, kids were 'educated' or brainwashed into following their dad''s or mum's club. Collingwood, Sandy Bay, Port Adelaide or East Perth. In those days, teen kids went to the footy by themselves in packs with their mates, all duffle coated up and knowledgeable. It was tribal, suburban and passionate.

Jump twenty, thirty, forty years to a National televised comp, and Carlton, Richmond, Essendon* and Hawthorn and after them, the modern power clubs, Sydney, Geelong and still Hawthorn are winning but the difference is, primary school kids can see who is winning on TV and they go to school and want to be in the gang. Kids in Tassie barrack for Hawthorn because Hawks are the power team of the modern era and are marketed in Tassie. My grandkids went to school and they had a day trip to Bellerive Oval and came home with a showbag of Hawks stuff. My daughter doesn't care about footy and her then husband was a Brisbane supporter. Nobody was there to make sure their Carlton ellegiance wasn't threatened.

When we are winning, the kids will all jump on and their parents will gnash their teeth because they want their kids to barrack for Hawks or Sydney like them.

The kids of today aren't tribal about anything. They have no need to be. They see all and they make their choices, in the main at a young age based on the herd instinct. Yes, we can start them on the true path but they will follow the masses. If we don't win, we will lose another generation.

Winners are grinners and losers can please themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:25 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Arnhem blues wrote:

Not the case in our household re what impacts my kids more.

I've read Blue Sombreros post just above, and I am glad to say, I'm there to show my kids the way.

I started barracking for Carlton in 1968 when we won the GF. I've told my kids what a great experience it was being a Carlton suppporter, and what an incredible history the club has: part of the fabric of Aussie sport and culture and the AFL's.

I've taught them how the penalties aour first ever wooden spoon humbled me and how I became a better supporter of the club because of it.

My kids love going to Princes Park, exploring the place like as they would an archeological site or art gallery anywhere in the world. My kids love the rebuild and watching something grow: green shoots. Its the hope and its the heritage that drives them.

The slander towards their team Carlton from the Barretts, Hutchies, afl website, Robbos, Whateleys, Caros, Papers is not reprimanded, or condemned, by the AFL, nor the CFC, nor anyone. The AFL's own website isn't supportive about the rebirth of a once great club, a founder, but more of the same, kicking a club when its down, whilst our club pays millions in equalisation to uphold the existence of other clubs when we are in serious debt.

It is the slander that hurtful for my kids, but they are bigger than that, and may just change their sport to soccer and basketball, or skiing and surfing...but I guess will always love Carlton, because of loyalty (and a differentiator in the Sydney landscape) and maybe remain a member if they see fit.

The bottom line is that this game is the bread and butter of all these hyper critics and yet they are doing nothing to improve and grow the game. Have a look at Barrets list of 10 things to improve AFL, finished off with a loaded questionaire which doesnt allow you to disagree with any of the suggestions. It is rigged. It is the run by the Custodian of the game

If the great Sir Kenneth Lukes knew the AFL was going to treat Carlton as its punching bag, the AFL would never have come to existence, and the VFL, and VFA and smaller suburban teams would not have been destroyed.

Wake up AFL. A strong Carlton, and in fact a strong 18 teams is good for the AFL.

But putting GC and GWS ahead of foundation teams with a huge traditional following (who have been put off since 2002) and allowing all the negative, untrue and detrimental slander to be continued towards Carlton is not the right thing to do. Teams are like children for he AFL. 18 of them. The AFL must defend the defenceless, in this case Carlton.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:35 am 
formerly King Kenny

Just bottle it and let them know when it turns against them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:52 pm 
Bruce Doull

Blue Sombrero wrote:
Arnhem blues wrote:

This.
Kids barrack for winners.
Once upon a time before TV covered every game and families could afford to go to the footy or they huddled together around the radio with dad or mum telling us who was who and then doing the follow up in the Truth (which had a great sport section after the other stuff), Globe or the Age, kids were 'educated' or brainwashed into following their dad''s or mum's club. Collingwood, Sandy Bay, Port Adelaide or East Perth. In those days, teen kids went to the footy by themselves in packs with their mates, all duffle coated up and knowledgeable. It was tribal, suburban and passionate.

Jump twenty, thirty, forty years to a National televised comp, and Carlton, Richmond, Essendon** and Hawthorn and after them, the modern power clubs, Sydney, Geelong and still Hawthorn are winning but the difference is, primary school kids can see who is winning on TV and they go to school and want to be in the gang. Kids in Tassie barrack for Hawthorn because Hawks are the power team of the modern era and are marketed in Tassie. My grandkids went to school and they had a day trip to Bellerive Oval and came home with a showbag of Hawks stuff. My daughter doesn't care about footy and her then husband was a Brisbane supporter. Nobody was there to make sure their Carlton ellegiance wasn't threatened.

When we are winning, the kids will all jump on and their parents will gnash their teeth because they want their kids to barrack for Hawks or Sydney like them.

The kids of today aren't tribal about anything. They have no need to be. They see all and they make their choices, in the main at a young age based on the herd instinct. Yes, we can start them on the true path but they will follow the masses. If we don't win, we will lose another generation.

Winners are grinners and losers can please themselves.

I agree, & pretty topical for me at the moment. It was sport team day at my kid's primary school today.

Wear the colours/jumper/scarf etc of your favourite sports team.

Plenty of Hawks & Tigers. I saw ONE Carlton.

...& that's in Coburg :cry: